5kaven5lave

3 hours ago, ByronicHero said:

Ah yes, my mistake. I suppose instead of the 20 rats/catapult I might just take a Grey Seer then. Would also be superior for plans tat require wizards or heroes for objectives. 

Yes sound good, and you should try Sword of Judgement on the corruptor, without artefact i found him very weak.

7 hours ago, MeSmashDaNoobs said:

sounds like a nice mix. what about forgeworlds wolf rats, they seem like a good pick? if you would've made a 2k list with moulder, how would you progress from that 1k list?

You would have to add a third battleline and should max out the giant rat units at 40 for 200pts. After that it depends on how you want to play. You could add a warpseer, hellpit and another master moulder or 6x stormfiends + wolf rats.

I confess I havnt used wolfrats, stats wise they do look good but the models are expensive at £35 for 5. 

The best thing about skaven is that there are lots of playable options and you can mix and match as you like. 

10 hours ago, Gwendar said:

@Laststand pretty much has it; with Moulder you'll want some Giant Rat hordes and minimum 6-rat squads of Ogres. At 2k I would look more at 40-rat units of Giant Rats and maybe throw in an HPA or 2 along with the battalion.

Has anyone played around with Rat Swarms since the points drop? I tried a unit of 4 in a 1000pt game and they were an effective screening/holding unit who could regain models each turn. Not tried giant rats.

7 hours ago, Gwendar said:

@Kimbo at 1k... eh, probably. I usually only use the AW myself at 1k, at most I throw in a Grey Seer as well. With this setup though, I would be a little more tempted to go with a Grey Seer or Bell for Death Frenzy on the 40 Monks, but the Grey Seer on foot definitely won't be as resilient as the AW. I just think he's a bit wasted as he can only buff up the Doomwheel and the Monks would rather have some help I would think.

Ok, Thanks! 

Remove the wheel and the AW. And use a warpseer? 

What you think about this? All models will be used in 2k when I expand the list. 

8 minutes ago, Kimbo said:

And....has anyone tried painting skaven with just/or mostly contrast paints? Would love to know how to speedpaint them to a good TT standard with little effort. 

Meh I’ve used it on one or two heroes and well it definitely goes much faster when your basically painting each model fully on its own, but then again I have my own way of speed painting clanrats, that goes for me much faster.

54 minutes ago, Skreech Verminking said:

Meh I’ve used it on one or two heroes and well it definitely goes much faster when your basically painting each model fully on its own, but then again I have my own way of speed painting clanrats, that goes for me much faster.

How do you do it then? 😀

Had a couple of really fun games of meeting engagement this weekend. 1st game was against sylvaneth and I ran stormfiends(s) 10 acolytes(m), archwarlock(s), bombadier(m) ratling(r) Doomwheel (m)and WLV.

Ended up losing due to some poor positioning and losing a key objective on the 3rd turn. But almost tabled my opponent.

Acolytes did nothing and bombadier seemed a bit of a waste with the arch warlock there. WLV was very good and doomwheel was by far the MVP. 

Lost by 5 after my opponent called it top of 3 shaking my hand only for me to convince him to play on after pointing out how he could win. Good lesson to play the game out.

2nd game was much better against bonesplitters.

List was similar to above but I took 40 clanrats(m) making room by removing the bombadier and 5 acolytes. 

Shooting output was on point and once again the doomwheel was MVP. Output of stormfiends was great and again they stayed alive. WLV also great this game to lock down middle objective with clanrats locking his heavy hitters right in the middle of it. Archwarlock with ethereal amulet tanked a unit for a couple of rounds no issues.

Won 3-17 and opponent was awesome and had a really well painted army.

Thoughts:

Stormfiends are great. Id love to try 6 over 3 for that nasty tanky output from awesome range. Will always take these guys.

Doomwheel is awesome in this format, the mobile shooting meant i could get this thing into range almost right away each game. Plus its fun as hell. Wont leave without one. 

Arch warlock was tank AF with the unrendable 3+ save and -1 to hit. Also the  2 casts with a reroll are awesome. Will take unlucky rolls or very dedicated fire to take this guy out which is important when this guy is buffing your shooting. 

Acolytes just havent worked for me so far. I may drop them all together for another rattling gun. I do like the speed of these guys though and even 5 can have decent outout with the right buffs. 

Rattling guns were really good. They die quickly but as a rearguard they can come on and unload a lot of firepower and for only 60 pts! Its these guys vs acolytes and im leaning toward the rattlings. 

Clanrats were missed in game 1 and were crucial in getting me the win game 2. They will definitely give up points if too many die though, so be midnful of that. I saved my CP for inspiring presence on these guys to keep them on the point and lock stuff down. 40 of these guys make a really solid mainbody for contesting the middle objective and screening. 

Conclusion:

Loved meeting engagment and I think Skryre are very strong and Ill be playing my second list more than the first for sure. I recommend everyone try the new format it's a lot of fun. 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Kimbo said:

How do you do it then? 😀

Spray the clanrats with the leather brown spray (not sure how the studio was called that is selling them) paint the metal and clothing parts with what ever color you want to use on it, and then wash everything with Agrax earth shade.

and your 4minute model is finished.

Of course you could easily put some more colors on the model, like some flesh colors on the nose and it paws which will add around 2minutes per model.

ps: Don’t forget to  paint the tail.

4 hours ago, Kimbo said:

And....has anyone tried painting skaven with just/or mostly contrast paints? Would love to know how to speedpaint them to a good TT standard with little effort. 

I have powered through twenty Clanrats just using Contrast and Leadbelcher. It's not quite as efficient as Skreech's four minute madness, but certainly quicker than how I was doing it before! 

9 hours ago, MisterJoshua said:

Has anyone played around with Rat Swarms since the points drop? I tried a unit of 4 in a 1000pt game and they were an effective screening/holding unit who could regain models each turn. Not tried giant rats.

I think most argue they aren't as good as previous in some ways (now you can't get more than starting unit size back), but better in others. I think they can be used decently as a Gryph-Hound style screen as a small speed bump.. of course any good charge roll will negate this. I'd say if you're going to do it, you definitely want 4+ like you were doing. Giant Rats are more... the pure Clan Moulder equivalent to Clanrats in my eyes, but bad by comparison.

8 hours ago, Kimbo said:

Ok, Thanks! 

Remove the wheel and the AW. And use a warpseer? 

What you think about this? All models will be used in 2k when I expand the list. 

Nah, Warpseer is a bit too much at 1k. Packs great utility (CP generation, unkillable-ish, amazing spell) but at 1k you need those 300 points for bodies and hammers (ranged or melee). I'd rather keep the AW + DW or AW + Grey Seer and throw in whatever you want with what's left.. again, you want a Grey Seer so you can cast Death Frenzy on the Monks.

6 hours ago, Gwendar said:

Warpseer is a bit too much at 1k. Packs great utility (CP generation, unkillable-ish, amazing spell) but at 1k you need those 300 points for bodies and hammers (ranged or melee). I'd rather keep the AW + DW or AW + Grey Seer and throw in whatever you want with what's left.. again, you want a Grey Seer so you can cast Death Frenzy on the Monks.

Echoing this. As a newer player, I had jammed a 1k list of Bombardier, Warpseer, 40/20 Clanrats, Stormfiends (Mortars, Ratling Gun, Shocks) and realized by the 3rd game with this list that as soon as I lost my Stormfiends, the game was over.

• Like 1

Arch warlock is very good in 1000 pt games. Id consider taking one of them instead of warpseer. In small games you prob wont need an excessive amount of CP, as you will mostly be using it to stop clanrats from dying to battleshock. The arch warlockwill give you a tanky hero, with two casts and buffs for shooting for the doomwheel. 

Ok fellow squeakers, I have my first tournament the Thursday after next, and have to submit my list by the end of today. This is what I have so far. Not settled on any traits or artifacts, and the Warpseer is conditional on me being able to get hold of one asap (why do no shops actually stock it anymore? It doesn't say "Webstore only"!). Suffocating Gravetide is only in there because I had 20 points left over. Any thoughts would be greatly appreciated.

Allegiance: Skaventide

Leaders
Verminlord Warpseer (300)
- General
Arch-Warlock (160)
Warlock Bombardier (100)
Clawlord (100)

Battleline
40 x Clanrats (200)
- Rusty Blade
40 x Clanrats (200)
- Rusty Spear
20 x Clanrats (120)
- Rusty Spear

Units
6 x Stormfiends (520)

War Machines
Warp Lightning Cannon (180)

Endless Spells / Terrain
Warp Lightning Vortex (100)
Suffocating Gravetide (20)

Total: 2000 / 2000
Extra Command Points: 0
Allies: 0 / 400
Wounds: 172

Edited by Kirjava13

14 minutes ago, Kirjava13 said:
Spoiler

Ok fellow squeakers, I have my first tournament the Thursday after next, and have to submit my list by the end of today. This is what I have so far. Not settled on any traits or artifacts, and the Warpseer is conditional on me being able to get hold of one asap (why do no shops actually stock it anymore? It doesn't say "Webstore only"!). Suffocating Gravetide is only in there because I had 20 points left over. Any thoughts would be greatly appreciated.

Leaders
- General
Arch-Warlock (160)
Warlock Bombardier (100)
Clawlord (100)

Battleline
40 x Clanrats (200)
- Rusty Blade
40 x Clanrats (200)
- Rusty Spear
20 x Clanrats (120)
- Rusty Spear

Units
6 x Stormfiends (520)

War Machines

Endless Spells / Terrain

This may be a bit too much swap, but:
Swap out suffocating gravetide and clawlord, downgrade the AW to a enginner, for a grey seer with skitterleap + vermintide endless spell?:) to do an epic WLV wombo combo into the enemy's face.

I'm just too weak for the WLV spell, to get the max out of it.
If you don't care about getting the "most" out of the WLV, this list looks pretty solid imo.

• Thanks 1

52 minutes ago, Kirjava13 said:

Leaders
- General
Arch-Warlock (160)
Warlock Bombardier (100)
Clawlord (100)

Battleline
40 x Clanrats (200)
- Rusty Blade
40 x Clanrats (200)
- Rusty Spear
20 x Clanrats (120)
- Rusty Spear

Units
6 x Stormfiends (520)

War Machines

Endless Spells / Terrain

Looks good mate. 

If it was me id drop the clawlord and gravetide (120 pts) maybe swap AW for bombadier (180 pts) and maybe drop one of the clanrats to 20 (260 pts) .

260 points you could take 20 acolytes if you own the models. 

If you want to keep 40 40 20 for clan rats, maybe consider the doomwheel which has been great for me so far, especially through a gnawhole. 

A bell would fit in nicely or even a greyseer on foot for skitterleap. 

I think you will do well with your list as long as you protect those stormfiends.

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Kirjava13 said:
Spoiler

Leaders
- General
Arch-Warlock (160)
Warlock Bombardier (100)
Clawlord (100)

Battleline
40 x Clanrats (200)
- Rusty Blade
40 x Clanrats (200)
- Rusty Spear
20 x Clanrats (120)
- Rusty Spear

Units
6 x Stormfiends (520)

War Machines

Endless Spells / Terrain

On second thought ****** it, I would just run with this list if I were you. See how it plays out, then you can figure out what you would want to swap out, change etc etc, better to test it and let the idea become alive!

I ran something similar, but I had two cannons and Thanquol, no warpseer and less rats. Biggest mistake I did was not getting the stormfiends quick enough in range for their shooting. But you gotta play to learn!😍

Just now, Kirjava13 said:

Thanks for the ideas so far guys. @Darkhan if I wasn't able to get a Warpseer I was going to go with Thankquol, because that's what I've got so far, but I'm trying to run something a little more disgusting (it is a tournie after all) and I keep seeing everyone mentioning the Warpseer...

Aoe battleshock immunity from the warpseer is priceless<3 

Also the CP farming:) 5+ to get it back. 3+ to get another at the start of your hero phase, or on a 6 D3 CP's!:D And tanky as a king. Free D6 mortal wounds once per battle. All kinds of goodies!

Thanquol is beast for clearing hordes! Total savage!

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

@Kirjava13 Personally I would rather get a shot at a triumph than use Gravetide. I suppose it can be used in the same manner as Vermintide for blocking a pathway however.

@Coyote It's also really good at upsetting certain individuals who can't unbind spells by sniping their hero's with it from across the board. Even better when you follow that up with the Orb toss.

• Thanks 1

Ok, so I had to submit the list by 23:59 today, and as such have handed it in as-is. I am free to choose Command Traits, Spells and Artifacts later, so my thoughts are turning to these things.

I guess MMMWP! for both the Arch-Warlock and the Warlock Bombardier. 

The Warpseer will be my general, I think. Lore of Ruin is only for Grey Seers, I believe, so he doesn't get to choose a spell? For Command Trait, Master of Magic sounds like a good one, giving him +2 to cast when he's standing by a Gnawhole. 

For the Artifact... not sure. Suspicious Stone is one I've seen thrown about, giving the Warpseer 4+/5+/5+, rerolling the 4+. Not bad. Or should I put a Vigordust Injector on the Arch-Warlock? Should he be the general? What's the best Command Trait for the Clawlord (Verminous Valour and Powerful might keep him alive for longer; Malevolent might make him a nastier fighter; Savage Overlord helps stop Clanrats cheesing it** from Battleshock)? Will the Bombardier achieve anything?*

So many questions. 

*No.
**Stop it.

Thoughts as they sit just after midnight:

Leaders
Kcasnar Koil (300)
Verminlord Warpseer
- General
- Trait: Master of Magic 
- Artefact: Suspicious Stone 
Skurrilious Maus (160)
Arch-Warlock
- Lore of Warpvolt Galvanism: More-more-more Warp Power!
Shirk Maus (100)
Warlock Bombardier
- Lore of Warpvolt Galvanism: More-more-more Warp Power!
Vernikt Morsliht (100)
Clawlord
- Mighty Warlord Command Trait: Verminous Valour

Battleline
Slash-Pack (200)
40 x Clanrats
- Rusty Blade
Stab-Pack (200)
40 x Clanrats
- Rusty Spear
Skitter-Pack (120)
20 x Clanrats
- Rusty Blade

Units
Mausfiends (520)
6 x Stormfiends

War Machines
Thing-Zapper (180)
Warp Lightning Cannon

Endless Spells / Terrain

Edited by Kirjava13
  • Like 1

@Kirjava13 I would go with verminous valour for the clawlord. 

I would be tempted to make the AW general and give him deranged inventor incase you fail MMWP, but that's just me;p 

Suspiscious stone is nice:) super tank! And the artefact is easy to remember. I gave him spellmirror once, forgot I had it😂

6 stormfiends that are sparked, vigordusted and MMWP'ed, will kick someone off the board with dices flying. 

Bombardier will achieve glory and buff the zapper! When the zapper blows up, overload the rocket and blast 2 D6 dmg in someones face! Managed to do it against a terrorgheist, it was glorious!!

yes all the choices, hard as nails.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1