SCE: Space Marines? Human? Order=Good? Answers!

Sleboda

Looking at the last 4 battletomes (Beastmen, Moonclan, FEC and Skaven) I'm pretty sure, that the new SCE book will be in line with them.

Some Stormhosts will be retconned, that they are all about dracolines for example, so for them they become battleline and now you can have a full cavalry list.

Right now the Stormhost rules don't change how you play your army (like all monster, infantry spam, cavalry, magic heavy). It needs a rework and it would be the perfect opportunity. I mean if the FEC can have all zombie dragon list, why not have an all stardrake list? :D

I am often at awe at the communicational skills of Phil Kelly. Such a talented guy both for lore building and then to communicate about it. He is really in another league when you compare it with the communication skills of all other GW designers. 

Appart from the Stormhosts part, there is this talk of a project with Jervis Johnson. Anyone caught/guessed more about it?

16 minutes ago, chord said:

If SCE goes the way of SM with needing certain colors, etc I'd just stop.    It's a turn off in 40K so it would also be a turn off in AOS. 

Funny enough, I'd be even more into things if it went like this.  I really like rules that are tied to a model's appearance.

18 minutes ago, Sleboda said:

Funny enough, I'd be even more into things if it went like this.  I really like rules that are tied to a model's appearance.

Why? I always thought gating special rules behind "red ones are choppy, green ones are shooty" was stupid. Let people paint and model how they wish, so long as they aren't blatantly cheating.

from a world building perspective I like that they give us info and stories about different chambers.

in terms of playing the game though I'd have thought it's quite simple, if some shut-in gets all up in your face about your celestial vindicators not being the right shade of whatever you laugh loudly and longly at them until they ****** off and never come back.

27 minutes ago, Deepkin said:

Why? I always thought gating special rules behind "red ones are choppy, green ones are shooty" was stupid. Let people paint and model how they wish, so long as they aren't blatantly cheating.

I am a firm believer in the appearance of the models on the tabletop mattering, that painted models should be required*, and that those two are factors in balance.

If you are allowed to say that one game this missile launcher is a missile launcher but next time it's a lascannon, that's not cool. If it's a Blood Angel today, it's not Dark Angel tomorrow.  I have way, way, way more thinking behind this, but that's the super duper simple version.

* That said, it's an ideal, not a must for people I play against.  Shoot for the moon and land on a good time with friends, even if the models are not perfect.

1 hour ago, Turgol said:

I am often at awe at the communicational skills of Phil Kelly. Such a talented guy both for lore building and then to communicate about it. He is really in another league when you compare it with the communication skills of all other GW designers. 

Appart from the Stormhosts part, there is this talk of a project with Jervis Johnson. Anyone caught/guessed more about it?

Yeah, I was impressed by how good a spokesman he is from listening to it, too. 

20 minutes ago, Sleboda said:

I am a firm believer in the appearance of the models on the tabletop mattering, that painted models should be required*, and that those two are factors in balance.

If you are allowed to say that one game this missile launcher is a missile launcher but next time it's a lascannon, that's not cool. If it's a Blood Angel today, it's not Dark Angel tomorrow.  I have way, way, way more thinking behind this, but that's the super duper simple version.

* That said, it's an ideal, not a must for people I play against.  Shoot for the moon and land on a good time with friends, even if the models are not perfect.

As long as my opponent and I agree beforehand what all the models represent, I have no issues. But, I tend to play in a very casual setting with family members and close friends, so perhaps I have a different experience than many others :D

I certainly prefer painted models, but since I'm also a contender for world's slowest painter (aren't we all?) I can't fault others for what I myself fail to provide. 

As long as everyone is having fun at the end of the day, I think we agree on whats important :D

2 hours ago, Sleboda said:

I agree if its holding a sword its holding a sword regardless.  But colors?  Its very limiting IMO for creativity 

1 minute ago, chord said:

I agree if its holding a sword its holding a sword regardless.  But colors?  Its very limiting IMO for creativity 

Like pretty much every thing ever in life ever ever, it comes down to where we each draw the line.

One man's sword is another man's silver.

I've come to realize some things about the business model GW has going. SCE and space marines are the poster boy armies and have fairly vanilla mechanics when compared to other armies in their respective games, this mean a lot of new players will pick them up first when they're learning the game and then branch into other armies (I was one of these people with 40k starting with space marines for kill team before branching into tau near the end of 7th edition). Because of this trend SCE stuff will naturally sell more, which means they will get more support and box sets, which just reinforces this cycle of them being the 'starter' army and will eventually go the way of space marines where they'll bloat to the point of actually needing new books just to restrict what you can and can't take from their ever growing list of toys.

2 hours ago, Sleboda said:

I kinda agree with this, but at the same time there has to be a buffer of reasonable play. I play emperors children and tau for example, my tau are painted viorla because I'm a lore nerd, but I usually run them as tau sept or farsight enclaves because i prefer there rules. I also have plenty of crisis suits and terminators with varying weapon loadouts (one of the downsides of buying second hand) but tend to run units with consistent weapons across all models, in these cases I use little sticky notes on the bases to make it clear that all my terms are power axe and combi-plas or my crisis are shields and missiles. I feel that so long as you use some sort of tag or other visible identifier to make it clear to your opponent that these weapons or colours are not representative of what you're playing then you should be fine. But yeah, just saying your dark angels captain is a blood angels smash captain without using something to identify it as such is unreliable and can be scummy if you don't make it clear to your opponent.

+++MOD EDIT+++

We are comparing a line in a podcast to the old GW, that birthed what 40k is now. Everyone is talking about endless SCE releases but what have we seen in the 2.0 time line?

Nurgle, Deepkin, LoN, DoK, SCE, Nighthaunt, Beastmen, Goblins, FEC, and Skaven

The proof is in the releases, not the past. We have wraith and rapture and Carrion Empire box sets this year. Two story lines without a SCE in sight. Not sure what all the toxicity is about. Lets let GW build their game before we decide what they are going to do in the next 10 years sucks.

Some strange reactions to this. Aos absolutely needs a star faction. Not for any of us, but for someone new to the game. Stormcast look cool, are relatively easy to play,  are easy to paint and can be painted any colour. They also don't need that many minis to build an army. 

My sister got into the hobby because of Stormcast. 

I also think their lore is cool and actually more interesting than space marines. I think the aesthetic has improved with each of the three additions   to the core range. The selection of monstrous mounts adds a lot to the army. 

As for the future I think white dwarf updates for now is fine. If we get 10 battletomes this year and the same next year, aos will be pretty much up to date. If GW want to start doing a stormhost battletome a year starting in 2021 I am fine with that.

I do think doing another stomcast battletome this year would be overkill though.  A couple of character minis this year would be fine. A new lord relictor would be welcome for example. 

One thing I would love to see (related to treating like space marines) is Forgeworld try their hand at some of the Stormcast special characters in the fluff, having primarch level detail in Stormcast characters with both gaming and display bases could result in some truly beautiful and distinctive character models that add far more personality and detail to the lore of every faction. If each was able to be part of a Dual display with another factions hero locked in combat it'd be a nice expansion for both stormcast and non stormcast players and could depict far more heroic moments then the usual grounded static models can.

Archived