AoS2 - Dankhold Troggoth Discussion

Malakree

9 hours ago, Clanan said:

I'm doing something similar with the Trollbloods Mountain King for a Troggoth Hag. I might stick a shaman on his shoulder, an idea mentioned a few pages back. I dislike the FW model and love the Mountain King, who is on a 120mm base whereas hers is 120x92mm so close enough.

Yea Mountain King is one of the coolest models ever! Plus it'd be cool to have a mountain with grots and squigs running under him.

1 hour ago, kenshin620 said:

Yea Mountain King is one of the coolest models ever! Plus it'd be cool to have a mountain with grots and squigs running under him.

Privateer really did make some great models.  I have little desire to play their games anymore (played for over 10 years - just not interested now) but I still like a lot of those models.  I don’t sell my models and I hate to never use them again - so I am in the same boat and highly considering repurposing mine.

@Malakree I appreciate your mathammering, if only for the daily reminder that trollherd still only allows a single dang Troggboss! (I finally gave up on my Excel attempts to expand binomial distributions to handle D3/D6 factors and went with druchii.net. Grumble.)

On a more serious note, I'm vacillating on including Skragrott with my Troggoths. (Skraggoths!) Having him alongside a Hag might be too unwieldy, but I don't want to miss the psychological impact of his shooting attack and spell.

57 minutes ago, Clanan said:

if only for the daily reminder that trollherd still only allows a single dang Troggboss!

It drives me up the fricking wall. Why the sweet jesus would you have a battalion, which gives you a second artefact, but only lets you have 1 Troggboss given how expensive it is to run!

6 minutes ago, Goodtime_Ghost said:

btw everyone - Fellwater Troggoths are back in stock in the UK GW online store (just ordered myself a couple).

Right that's 6 ordered for my initial force. I think I might end up with 12 eventually but I really love the Rockguts and just wana slam a bunch of those down on the board.

Allegiance: Gloomspite Gitz
Mortal Realm: Ghyran

Leaders
Dankhold Troggboss (300)
- General
- Trait: Mighty Blow 
- Artefact: Ghyrstrike 
Madcap Shaman (80)
- Artefact: Moonface Mommet 
- Lore of the Moonclans: The Hand of Gork

Battleline
6 x Rockgut Troggoths (320)
6 x Rockgut Troggoths (320)
3 x Rockgut Troggoths (160)

Battalions
Troggherd (180)

Total: 2000 / 2000
Extra Command Points: 1
Allies: 0 / 400
Wounds: 124

Is that 54 attacks with a cabbages fists, why yes yes it is. Here, catch this boulder for me!

1 hour ago, Clanan said:

(I finally gave up on my Excel attempts to expand binomial distributions to handle D3/D6 factors and went with druchii.net. Grumble.)

Druchii lets you put d3 and d6 in for attacks/damage. The biggest problem is that it doesn't let you specify anything beyond reroll 1/2s so for sequitors vs -2 rend they are actually at 6+ rerolling 1-3s.

It's also awkward to actually put in the 6 wound roll trigger and you end up doing it as a whole separate attack.

1 hour ago, Clanan said:

On a more serious note, I'm vacillating on including Skragrott with my Troggoths. (Skraggoths!) Having him alongside a Hag might be too unwieldy, but I don't want to miss the psychological impact of his shooting attack and spell.

Pretty sure you can't fit both. It's just to many points to get a serious list when you include the Troggbosses 300. 900 points before anything else leaves you really short of units on the field. 

Spoiler

Leaders
Dankhold Troggboss (300)
- General
- Trait: Mighty Blow 
Troggoth Hag (380)
Skragrott, The Loonking (220)
Fungoid Cave-Shaman (90)
Mollog (170)

Battleline
60 x Stabbas (360)
- Pokin Spears & Moon Shields
6 x Fellwater Troggoths (320)

Total: 2000 / 2000
Extra Command Points: 0
Allies: 0 / 400
Wounds: 142

It's really low on wounds and has only 3 none hero units.

Spoiler

Shiny Wotnot Change the last sentence to:
‘If the mortal wound was inflicted by an endless spell, on a 6+ that mortal wound is negated, and that endless spell is dispelled (any other mortal wounds it could have inflicted are negated).’

Oh wow. That's insane vs some things, if the Stormcast meteor comes down you take them on the Troggboss and get the 6 it stops EVERY mortal wound it would do O.o If Endless spells become prevalent then this is amazing. Hell it makes him good in normal Gloomspite armies for the protection this brings.

• Like 1

8 hours ago, Malakree said:
  Hide contents

‘If the mortal wound was inflicted by an endless spell, on a 6+ that mortal wound is negated, and that endless spell is dispelled (any other mortal wounds it could have inflicted are negated).’

Oh wow. That's insane vs some things, if the Stormcast meteor comes down you take them on the Troggboss and get the 6 it stops EVERY mortal wound it would do O.o If Endless spells become prevalent then this is amazing. Hell it makes him good in normal Gloomspite armies for the protection this brings.

Yep, especially since the chance of dispelling it, goes up with each mortal wound he'd take. 

11 hours ago, Malakree said:
  Hide contents

Seems easily avoidable by the opponent though. Just allocate wounds from the endless spell to the Trogboss last... Right? 

30 minutes ago, novakai said:

unless it mean he dispels it and all the damage it did becomes undone

Yeah, it’s got to be this otherwise it’s worthless. The ‘magic-eating’ description on the back of the box becomes more merited now. That’s really fluffy and cool, love it. Still taking the Rage-Grip, but love it. 

1 hour ago, novakai said:

the problem is that he is more likely to ignore the spell effect with his Magic resistance that goes off on a 4+ before he get the chance to dispel it. unless it optional to roll for it and you want to strategically be able to dispel it.

Wouldn’t you just roll one dice for each effect?  It reads to me like you can negate its effect on yourself and not dispel it or vice-versa. 

3 hours ago, novakai said:

unless it mean he dispels it and all the damage it did becomes undone

It does this. That response seems to be to a question I asked regarding that exact problem.

2 hours ago, novakai said:

the problem is that he is more likely to ignore the spell effect with his Magic resistance that goes off on a 4+ before he get the chance to dispel it. unless it optional to roll for it and you want to strategically be able to dispel it.

You can choose not to roll the 4+ magic save. You can also roll the wound save if you fail the spell save.

One is stop the affects of a spell as it targets you. The other is a save against wounds dealt by a spell.

Thinking about this as a list for fun, I enjoy big monsters running about whenever I can get them so...

Leaders
Dankhold Troggboss (300)
- General
- Trait: Loonskin 
Loonboss (70)

Battleline
60 x Stabbas (360)
- Stabbas & Moon Shields
- 9x Barbed Nets
- 1x Moonclan Flag Bearers
- 1x Badmoon Icon Bearers

Behemoths
Bonegrinder Gargant (400)

Total: 1450 / 1500
Extra Command Points: 1
Allies: 0 / 200
Wounds: 117

Running with a Loonshrine of course.

Moving away from lists though and talking about the minis themselves I have to say I think the Rockgut are some of the best ever, I've put together 6 of them now (every Troggoth being different BTW) and I'm in love with the way they all interact. Any combination of arms will fit with any combination of lower body and neck with each one full of character. Fantastic and amazing minis so kudos GW, much kudos indeed!

Edited by TeddyMadeMeDoIt
  • Like 1

7 minutes ago, 5kaven5lave said:

So quick rules question, if my Rockguts are hit with a -1 rend attack, can I choose the order I roll his now 6+ and the extra 5+ save?

No, one is a 6+ save against the attack.

The other a 5++ save when a wound is allocated to the model.

14 hours ago, TeddyMadeMeDoIt said:

Moving away from lists though and talking about the minis themselves I have to say I think the Rockgut are some of the best ever, I've put together 6 of them now (every Troggoth being different BTW) and I'm in love with the way they all interact. Any combination of arms will fit with any combination of lower body and neck with each one full of character. Fantastic and amazing minis so kudos GW, much kudos indeed!

The same is actually true of the Dankhold Troggoth head, shoulders, and ear setup. There's a ton of possibilities for little differences with them, it's just the construction book is terrible and makes it look like there is a distinct "Troggboss" setup. Now we just need the normal Troggs to drop in points so we can make use of them :P 

Edited by Malakree
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

5 minutes ago, 5kaven5lave said:

So quick rules question, if my Rockguts are hit with a -1 rend attack, can I choose the order I roll his now 6+ and the extra 5+ save?

The 6+ save comes first. It negates attacks. The 5++ comes after. This negates individual wounds that get through. 

Malakree beat me to it but yup! 

Edited by Megaboss Gorstag
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, Malakree said:

The same is actually true of the Dankhold Troggoth head, shoulders, and ear setup. There's a ton of possibilities for little differences with them, it's just the construction book is terrible and makes it look like there is a distinct "Troggboss" setup. Now we just need the normal Troggs to drop in points so we can make use of them :P 

Hellz yeah,  I was so happy as I preferred the mushroom back than the rocky one, such a great kit

Finally got my troggboss (mostly) painted. I never realised there were multiple setups... Not that I would have changed much. Maybe just the ears.

I really liked the mushroom back, but after painting the white dots, I feel the stalagtite back is pretty dang cool.

Glad there is so much variety. Now we just gotta get the word out that there can be variation with the boss too.

20190125_231651.jpg

20190125_231722.jpg

20190125_231836.jpg

• Like 5

13 minutes ago, Garamond said:

Finally got my troggboss (mostly) painted. I never realised there were multiple setups... Not that I would have changed much. Maybe just the ears.

I really liked the mushroom back, but after painting the white dots, I feel the stalagtite back is pretty dang cool.

Glad there is so much variety. Now we just gotta get the word out that there can be variation with the boss too.

You can use either the mushroom or stalagmite backs (13 or 12), you can attach of the smaller shroom bits (8 or 9), then use either neck (6 or 7) and any of the 3 heads with any combination of the ears. Oh and you can choose between the necklaces.

I'm so glad I don't have to use that stupid head with the skull, i hate it so much.

27 minutes ago, Garamond said:

20190125_231651.jpg

20190125_231722.jpg

20190125_231836.jpg

Love it! I specially love the colors of the skin, are the same ones as the video in Warhammer TV?

8 minutes ago, miguel_fernan said:

Love it! I specially love the colors of the skin, are the same ones as the video in Warhammer TV?

Thanks, man! Some of it is, but I kind of did a gradation from the warhammer TV purple to a lighter grey colour using drakenhoff nightshade over celestra grey  with ulthuan drybrush. Didn't want to do a boss that was too white.

I am confused why you would put the Dankholds in a unit of more than one, ever.  Unless you have plenty of CPs to dump preventing battleshock.  If I saw a unit of those guys I would do everything in my power to get them to run off.

I could be missing something though, and it would LOOK cool that's for sure.