Speculation: Steamhead Duardins

Turgol

It seems we should consider what realm they would call "home". So far each faction has a "home" realm that heavily influences the aesthetic of the models.

I believe out of the 9 realms we can assume that the dwarves will be living with the Michael Jackson impersonators in the realm of CHAMON.

In chamon it is likely they would be fighting against Tzeentch more than any other faction. So for anti-tzeentch they need fire resistance (obsidian? metal? big shields), magic resistance (anti magic characters perhaps a re-imagined runesmith) anti flying (something has to kill Big Bird and all his mates- so shooting stuff with a leaning towards anti-air/anti-fly or a flying machine that minces up things like a Dwarven version of the helldrake with its swoop).

Add to this the need for a super cool centerpiece, Mechano-Bear cavalry with laser beams attached to their foreheads and Dwarves with go-go-gadget copters (which I think sounds like the most unlikely of wish lists so far) and we have the makings for a new faction with plenty of new models by the time iron breakers and the gun dudes are re-done.

Perhaps...

• Replies 54
  • Created
  • Last Reply

First, I want this way more than my wallet wants it to wait until Xmas. Second, while stuff could have been created years ago it could be adapted. I'm finishing War of the Beard trilogy for author interview tomorrow and the scenes with the shutting down of the stone Giants, golems and. Passing of old powers of Anvils of Doom make me picture hopefully AoS duardin faction glory coming soon...:x

Aw yiss, random speculation time!

In all seriousness though, while intellectually I know that if the Steamhead are being released in September they are all done, produced and probably being shipped as we speak, I can't help but imagine what might be....

First, on the subject of current range models I actually don't think that they would fit into a new faction based on the current background. The Dispossessed and the Ironweld Arsenal are those duardin that were forced to resettle in Azyr during the Age of Chaos, and who have come back to lands long lost. My understanding of the new faction is that the Steamhead will be those duardin who remained. Based on this I would be happy for there to be no cross over.

Second, looking at other faction releases, a reasonable release would be something like:

• A large monster type kit
  • A dreadnought size kit
  • A large infantry kit
  • An infantry kit
  • 1 - 3 characters

Third, if we assume the rumour from Faiet 212 in terms of looks, the existence of jet packs etc is true what that leads to is actually more of a dieselpunk kind of look rather than steampunk. This would pull in a bit of the Art Deco style, a more post apocalyptic aspect, and smoother, higher tech looks giving a nice point of difference to the current duardin range.

To pull it together what would I speculate:

• No current range reboxed.
  • Monster type kit: Airship (quick and with unit 'teleportation / transportation' abilities
  • Dreadnought size kit: Heavy robot suit with a couple of crew members (line breaker monster)
  • Large Infantry kit: Large powered armour with big guns (5 models)
  • Infantry dual kit: Jet pack assault troops / heavily armoured basic troops (10 models)
  • Support engineer type character - maybe a couple of weapon and equipment options?
  • Mechanical duardin warrior character

How would this play? I think an army needs some risk / reward decisions and opportunities for your play, and your opponents, to affect your ability to do what you want to do. So I think units should have personal engines that with some risk improve one aspect of performance. So, a bit of risk taking to use them and decisions to be made around what you want to achieve while your opponent can make decisions around trying to force situations where you have no good options, or it will make no difference to the outcome.

I also think that (like the Sylvaneth) it would be great to be have some battalions that allow the flexibility to include one or two non- steamhead unitsto allow some variation and versatility without giving up the cool factor of playing a faction allegiant army.

Agree with @mhsellwood the dispossessed are those that we 'trapped' in Azyr with Sigmar when he closed the gates. I think these will be the standard Duardin you see right now. The 'Steamhead' Duardin will be those that adapted to their surroundings. 

I hope they get that airship, it looks awesome. Golem, must be incoming as everyone and their dog has been suggesting it. I hope they get some Calvary but I hope it's not mechanical, that to me, is too much for a fantasy setting. I hope they get some Mountain Goat types, similar to the Hobbit.

Anyway, it's all exciting!

About the "Dispossessed are Azyr Duardin" argument. I would take GW's GA systematics with a big grain of salt. It has been already changed: GA Death, for instance, has Terrorgheist as only Beast of the Grave (or whatever it is), but they were included in Fleash Eater Courts BT. Sure: it is not exactly the same case, as Flesh Eaters are a faction with no new model as of yet, and we expect Steamhead to be kinda new (if not completely new). This means that both the Fyreslayer (completely new) and the Ironjaw/Sylvaneth approaches are possible. But remember: AoS is about saving as much as they can from the good old boxes and dwarves have very good and very new ones. Sure: they could make a good Dispossessed BT to work on that. But Dispossessed is really just all dwarves thrown together, it would be hard to work it into a faction with its own identity like Flesh Eaters or Beastclaw Raiders. This is why I'am inclined to believe they will be an Ironjaw like faction. And an Ironbreaker aesthetic taken to the extreme is something that does not bother me at all! 

19 hours ago, Turgol said:

Still, if it is indeed Grugni in a golem, you cannot make it believable if it is an old kit which was not released. This means that if Grugni does indeed get released and he does indeed ride a golem, either the design is newer (at least it was adapted), or AoS design has been going on since like 2011.

While it shouldn't be considered AoS design, i do know that from at least 2010 the GW Design Studio was experimenting with new looks for the Dwarfs. They were considered an army that was too generic fantasy and that needed effort put into making them more unique. It's entirely possible that GW have gone back to that brainstorming period for AoS inspiration.

On 8/2/2016 at 2:00 PM, Dez said:

I'm starting to love the idea of Dwarven Sky Pirates, with all sorts of mixed in factions. Skaven Skallywags, Goblin Deck Swabber, Seraphon First Mate...so many crazy army ideas!

It just occurred to me that the reason the Duardin settlements are all abandoned in the fluff is that they took to the sky centuries ago! Sky pirate Duardin, yo ho!

On 8/3/2016 at 1:31 AM, mhsellwood said:
  • No current range reboxed.
  • Monster type kit: Airship (quick and with unit 'teleportation / transportation' abilities
  • Dreadnought size kit: Heavy robot suit with a couple of crew members (line breaker monster)
  • Large Infantry kit: Large powered armour with big guns (5 models)
  • Infantry dual kit: Jet pack assault troops / heavily armoured basic troops (10 models)
  • Support engineer type character - maybe a couple of weapon and equipment options?
  • Mechanical duardin warrior character

This all sounds great to me, my only wish is that they have some 2 and 3 wound models. I think the fyreslayers could use some as well.

3 minutes ago, Forgebellows said:

This all sounds great to me, my only wish is that they have some 2 and 3 wound models. I think the fyreslayers could use some as well.

Dwarves in big ass, Space Marine Centurion style, steam powered mech suits :D

People are getting their hopes waaaaaay up. There's every chance that Steamhead is just the new Flesh-Eater court or Bonesplittas. Looking at current plastic Dispossessed kits, it's entirely possible.

Warriors - Dual kit with GW

Thunderers/Quarrelers

Hammerers/Longbears

Irondrakes/Ironbreakers

Runelord

Unforged

Warden King

That's 4 different unit kits! With 7 entirely unique options already. Considering how the Bonesplittas have 2 plastic kits turned into 5 different units, we shouldn't expect a huge deal here. There's plenty that just needs repackaging, new rules and a nice book to be done with. The Dispossessed may not even have much in the way of warmachines in their new tome!

That is of course assuming that the "steamhead duardin" is actually the new dispossessed. It may be the new Ironweld Arsenal, a mix, or something entirely new.  Which it may very well be. We've seen hints of most of the "new" factions in the compendiums already, but Steamhead is still nowhere to be seen.

People are getting their hopes waaaaaay up. There's every chance that Steamhead is just the new Flesh-Eater court or Bonesplittas. Looking at current plastic Dispossessed kits, it's entirely possible.

Warriors - Dual kit with GW

Thunderers/Quarrelers

Hammerers/Longbears

Irondrakes/Ironbreakers

Runelord

Unforged

Warden King

That's 4 different unit kits! With 7 entirely unique options already. Considering how the Bonesplittas have 2 plastic kits turned into 5 different units, we shouldn't expect a huge deal here. There's plenty that just needs repackaging, new rules and a nice book to be done with. The Dispossessed may not even have much in the way of warmachines in their new tome!

That is of course assuming that the "steamhead duardin" is actually the new dispossessed. It may be the new Ironweld Arsenal, a mix, or something entirely new.  Which it may very well be. We've seen hints of most of the "new" factions in the compendiums already, but Steamhead is still nowhere to be seen.

I believe it's very likely Steamhead Duardin will be a new faction as there has been multiple rumours for new models of a specifically Steamhead Duardin style.

Also neither of the Reboxed factions had a major keyword change. Both Bonesplittaz and Flesh eaters had Warscroll changes but not an actual faction change.

I do hope you're right. Another entirely new Duardin faction would do wonders! I'm just being a little sceptical ATM.

I would have figured the Aelfs got something before the Duardin got 2 wholly new factions. But GW has never really operated in that way.

I'm waiting to see where these new Dwarfs go(not a fan of Fyreslayers at all) before I get into AoS. I'm leaning towards a Death army for AoS since I'm getting my Dwarf fix in Kings of War(multibasing those, so no crossover), but if GW comes out with a new really cool steam punk Dwarf army, I think I'll end up with two separate Dwarf armies(maybe three since I've also been toying with starting a Rhulic/Seaforge Commission army for Warmachine). 

I think there's good arguments for them to basically repackages the dispossessed into the Steamheads since many of the old WHFB Dwarfs were fairly new models compared to others and then basically add a few new models to make it feel new. A steamhead start collecting box with current dwarfs repackaged would still be tempting to me, but I think the draw of something new (i.e. a Death army) might outweigh it.

On the other hand, as was mentioned, the Dwarfs have been one of the most generic factions in Warhammer, other than maybe the human factions that could be replaced with just about any 28mm medieval era historical miniatures and GW has made it pretty obvious that one the big aims behind the AoS shakeup was to get away from the generic and really build it around IP they own(I don't have a problem with that, just an observation). The Fyreslayers are already a big step toward reimagining Dwarfs and I would be really surprised if the Steamheads didn't get the same level of make over. Inspiration from the old world sure, but I don't expect to see any thing except maybe the gyrocopters repackaged. I think we'll see a mostly new steampunk dwarf faction, probably inspired by the cogsmith and the gyrocopters in the same way the old slayers inspired the Fyreslayers.

Here's an idea:

The dwarves reamaining were whittled away by the atrocities of the chaos raids and various other pressures. Meaning they're elite.

However, they're not without ingenuity and so they built automatons.

We've kind of accepted a golem will pop up as a large beast...

But what if it's topsy turvy?

What if it's like a summoner and an army. There's an elite Dwarf unit - heavily armoured, heavily weaponed. Few.

There's the 'cogsmiths' and they via engineering blended with their own form of magic (runes being augmented in AoS?) have created ranks of automatons. Small and large.

Kind of like lord castellant and gryph hound. Each type of dwarf hero has a specific role and they have automatons that reflect that.

So instead of masses of dwarves and big whizzbang engineering, will we see very, very few dwarves with mini-golem armies?

Here's an idea:

The dwarves reamaining were whittled away by the atrocities of the chaos raids and various other pressures. Meaning they're elite.

However, they're not without ingenuity and so they built automatons.

We've kind of accepted a golem will pop up as a large beast...

But what if it's topsy turvy?

What if it's like a summoner and an army. There's an elite Dwarf unit - heavily armoured, heavily weaponed. Few.

There's the 'cogsmiths' and they via engineering blended with their own form of magic (runes being augmented in AoS?) have created ranks of automatons. Small and large.

Kind of like lord castellant and gryph hound. Each type of dwarf hero has a specific role and they have automatons that reflect that.

So instead of masses of dwarves and big whizzbang engineering, will we see very, very few dwarves with mini-golem armies?

Oh man I would buy in to this army so hard

3 hours ago, The Jabber Tzeentch said:

Oh man I would buy in to this army so hard

I know right? They'd sort of be analgous with death to an extent. Mindless minions. Perhaps not with a summoning mechanic. Then again, why not?

Edit/ Found our Steamhead Duardin Nostradamus from 3 years + back: http://thefairlyunkempt.blogspot.se/2012/11/minis-showcase-engineers-guild-army.html

Archived