Races of the Grand Alliances

Okay, so every time there's a spot of wishlisting going on, somebody always mentions a new race.  I'll bite, I'm interested in that too.  Thing is, I'm pretty sure that there's a pretty good selection of races already present in each of the Grand Alliances.  This is a spot to put all of them down in, and maybe talk about them.  I'll try to get as many as I can think of.

Order:

• Humans
  • Aelves (Elves)
  • Duardin (Dwarves)
  • Seraphon (Lizardmen)
  • Sylvaneth
  • Whatever Stormcast are - a kind of Undead?

Chaos:  (I'm separating the various daemons by god because each feel totally different from each other)

• Humans
  • Beasts of Chaos
  • Skaven
  • Khorne Daemons
  • Nurgle Daemons
  • Tzeentch Daemons
  • Slannesh Daemons

Death:  (Going by types of Undead here - Undead by itself is just 1 race)

• Humans (The living kind)
  • Vampires
  • Skeletons (Wights)
  • Ghosts
  • Zombies (Generic Undead)
  • Ghouls

Destruction:

• Orruks
  • Grots
  • Ogors
  • Troggoths
  • Gargants

Did I miss any?  Probably.  But I noticed that more than a few Destruction players have wanted a shiny new race for their Grand Alliance, and I wasn't buying it.  When I made this list, adding in whatever the Stormcast are was a last-minute decision, and I'm still not sure if I shouldn't just cut them out seeing how they're pretty much all human and probably think of themselves as such.  But then that'd be a rabbit hole for the forces of Death....

22 minutes ago, HiddenElephant said:

But I noticed that more than a few Destruction players have wanted a shiny new race for their Grand Alliance, and I wasn't buying it. 

Well, there are multiple things you skipped over regarding Destructions potential new race:

1. All releases are heavily based on existing models, even Ironjaws are just upgraded hard boys and are the most 'renewing, out of the box' release.
2. The above point also translates to the models... Bought the Ironjaws SC, Gordrak and the fungoid shaman and you have every single new model in there.
3. Gargants and Troggoths, although separated in their mini faction, just don't count in my mind. Just like maneaters of firebelly's don't. Nor do Lion Rangers, Shadowblades, etc.
4. Everybody wants something new and shiny and unexpected for their favourite alliance.

Also as a side note, Death was in the same spot with destruction until the beginning of this year, so I think Destruction fanatics, hehe see what I did there, are totally right to be hopeful and wishful for a shiny new race. Not just a re-imagining* of something. No something really cool and new. 
* unless it comes with a lot of cool new models, like Moggothkin of Nurgle, Tzeentch, Daughters of Khaine.

Robots "sort" of exist - certainly the Realm of Metal has bio-mechanical creatures in it although it seemed to be bio on the outside, metal on the inside (at least thus far the only  scene I've read is a Chaos warrior eating a bird). So the Realm of Metal could certainly house such creatures. 

However the way the Realms are ANYTHING is possible, almost without any limits. Cities on wandering wyrms; dragons as big as continents that light the sky etc..... So we could be here to forever when guessing. 

Also don't forget many species are not fractured. For example whilst Idoneth are born of Aelven souls they are clearly very different at their core from a regular Aelf. Furthermore the twisted forms by Morathi in the Khinerai and Melusai are clearly vastly different creatures as well (only being Aelven at the soul). 

I think they're is actually reference to steam punk cog based robots which is where everyone has that idea. It's become a very popular idea for an army since the small reference.

Personally I agree that Destruction could still do with a new race as whilst Gargants are technically a different race I can't see them ever growing beyond an allied centre piece model. Also, Chaos has Gargants are well.

Troggoths I can see expanded however.

I think looking at the number of races isn't really a good reason to say an alliance doesn't need a new race however. GW should just add them freely whenever it's appropriate and not focus on keeping balanced numbers. Especially since as Overread said, they can make what is effectively a new race out of preexisting ones just by making them drastically different to what already exists.

For example, would you really consider mushroom infested grots the same as grots that have mutated to have spider like features just because the base is a grot?

1 hour ago, khadgar567 said:

well if you ask me storm cast eternals are kinda what chaos calls daemon only instead of big 5 creating them its sigmar the waaghammer shoving bits of his power to his choosen souls.

if you want to get super nerdy and technical about it, to which I say WELL OF COURSE, for me Stromcast are more like very minor Daemon Princes (Deamon Knights?) than outright Daemons, in that they're an existing soul that's been 'elevated' in some way and imbued with power, rather than just a minor aspect of their deity that's been peeled off and given some semblance of autonomy.

I'm actually embarrassed for myself I just typed that.

Stormcast and most Lizardmen who are not giant toads are both reformed bodies around old souls. Lizardmen appear to have the edge in retaining sanity and integrity of the soul, though the bodies appear to be short term only (at least in those summoned to battle); whilst Stormcast have a more physical body (proven by the fact that it is possible to intercept it and stop it returning to Sigmar upon death) but lack integrity of soul - it degrades each time its reborn.

Basically Lizardmen have lossless soulsaving and Stormcast have lossy saving (which means lizards are RAW and Stormcast JPEG and thus Lizards are better!) 

actually just because I have it open on my laptop below is the bestiary list from WHFB 3rd Edition, it's interesting to see what other 'races' have appeared and been dropped over the years. Must have been lots more in later editions too perhaps or was 3rd the widest before things got tightened up...

Anyway to me it feels like they're more likely to reinvent, re-use something that's been around before than just come up with something totally new. And if they were to revisit any of the below I guess Centaurs (though maybe too tied to Beasts of Chaos/Thunderscorn etc now) and Zoats stand out.

Zoats especially as they were, as far as I can remember, along with Fimir one of the few original GW creations back in the mists of time and not just repurposed standard fantasy tropes. Wouldn't mind seeing elementals come back in some way, shape or form too, maybe tied in to the Necroquake and the Arcanum Optimum (or whatever it's called).

Of course I would also be entirely down with a combined Giant Snail, Giant Leech, Giant Frog army.

INTELLIGENT RACES

• Beastmen
  • Centaurs
  • Coatl
  • Dwarfs
  • - Normal
  • - Norse
  • - Chaos
  • Elves
  • - Wood
  • - High
  • - Sea
  • - Dark
  • Fimir
  • Gnomes
  • Goblins
  • - Normal
  • - Chaos
  • Halflings
  • Half-Orcs
  • Hobgoblins
  • Humans
  • - Normal
  • - Norse
  • - Weres
  • - Chaotics
  • -- Cultists
  • -- Warriors
  • -- Sorcerers 
  • - Evil
  • -- Warriors
  • -- Wizards
  • Lizardmen
  • Orcs
  • Pygmies
  • Skaven
  • Slann
  • Snotlings
  • Zoats

GIANT RACES

• Giants
  • Minotaurs
  • Ogres
  • Treemen
  • Troglodytes
  • Trolls

CREATURES

• Bears
  • Boars
  • Cold One
  • Cold One Warhound
  • Dire Wolf
  • Dragon
  • Eagle
  • Giant Bat
  • Giant Frog
  • Giant Leech
  • Giant Rat
  • Giant Snail
  • Giant Spider
  • Giant Wolf
  • Hobhound
  • Horse
  • - Normal
  • - Warhorse
  • Swarms
  • War Hounds

CHAOS CREATURES

• Chaos Hound
  • Chaos Steed
  • Chimera
  • Cockatrice
  • Griffon
  • Harpy
  • Hippogriff
  • Hydra
  • Jabberwock
  • Manticore
  • Wyvern

UNDEAD CREATURES

• Carrion
  • Ghouls
  • Liches
  • Mummies
  • Skeletons
  • Undead Heroes
  • Undead Horseman
  • Vampires
  • Zombies

ETHEREAL

• Ghosts
  • Spectres
  • Wights
  • Wraiths

DEMONS

• Great Demons
  • - Baalrukh
  • Lesser Demons
  • - Gargoyle
  • - Angel
  • Demonic Servants
  • - Demonic Steed
  • - Hell Hound
  • Demonic Familiars

ELEMENTALS

• Air
  • Earth
  • Wind
  • Fire
  • Disco

@JPjr Disco?

theres also Godbeasts, Gods, deities, avatars/eidolons, a plethora of unique beasts alive/dead/ethereal/elemental etc. Races we know nothing of yet hiidng in trees and swamps, and whatever the hell Morghur is. 

The exciting part of Age pf Sigmar for me is the unknown, from creatures and bieings in the Age of Myth which have outright ceased to exsist to the odd pockets which have survived or been altered after the chaos invasions. That I know of there are no reptialian undead giants in alleigance to Khorne, but there could very well be one or two or more.

actually now I think about it I know it's D&D but I'd like to be able to field a giant gelatinous cube on the table too, though I guess I could just use a square jelly mould and add some poor models into the mixture before it sets.

2 hours ago, JPjr said:

actually now I think about it I know it's D&D but I'd like to be able to field a giant gelatinous cube on the table too, though I guess I could just use a square jelly mould and add some poor models into the mixture before it sets.

congratulations you just found most easiest way to create a model with no lore or rules so good luck on playing with them. actualy a chaos faction of discarded experiments would be nice where mutants to living spells and all kinda wacko creatues can be found.

I reckon I could home-brew an amusing enough GC war scroll in a few minutes let me see...

Probably needs some kind of random move mechanic to both represent its mindlessness and make it a danger to your own troops, but could be fun to pit against hordes.

gelatinous-cube.jpg

4 hours ago, JPjr said:

ELEMENTALS

• Disco

Wait... Hold on. GW actually had Disco elemental? How did that work? Please tell me it was some sort of humanoid in platform shoes, with a disco ball head that blinded enemies that caused moral wound inducing seizures. Does anyone have a picture? 

8 hours ago, Overread said:

Stormcast and most Lizardmen who are not giant toads are both reformed bodies around old souls. Lizardmen appear to have the edge in retaining sanity and integrity of the soul, though the bodies appear to be short term only (at least in those summoned to battle); whilst Stormcast have a more physical body (proven by the fact that it is possible to intercept it and stop it returning to Sigmar upon death) but lack integrity of soul - it degrades each time its reborn.

Basically Lizardmen have lossless soulsaving and Stormcast have lossy saving (which means lizards are RAW and Stormcast JPEG and thus Lizards are better!) 

I thought the deal with lizardmen was that they are remembered. Doesn't require an old soul at all. Also there are faint snippits of lore that remembered lizards live indefinitely and do not fade after a battle if the slann wills it. The longer they exist the more 'real' they become.

On 10/24/2018 at 5:29 PM, HiddenElephant said:

Okay, so every time there's a spot of wishlisting going on, somebody always mentions a new race.  I'll bite, I'm interested in that too.  Thing is, I'm pretty sure that there's a pretty good selection of races already present in each of the Grand Alliances.  This is a spot to put all of them down in, and maybe talk about them.  I'll try to get as many as I can think of.

Order:

• Humans
  • Aelves (Elves)
  • Duardin (Dwarves)
  • Seraphon (Lizardmen)
  • Sylvaneth
  • Whatever Stormcast are - a kind of Undead?

Chaos:  (I'm separating the various daemons by god because each feel totally different from each other)

• Humans
  • Beasts of Chaos
  • Skaven
  • Khorne Daemons
  • Nurgle Daemons
  • Tzeentch Daemons
  • Slannesh Daemons

Death:  (Going by types of Undead here - Undead by itself is just 1 race)

• Humans (The living kind)
  • Vampires
  • Skeletons (Wights)
  • Ghosts
  • Zombies (Generic Undead)
  • Ghouls

Destruction:

• Orruks
  • Grots
  • Ogors
  • Troggoths
  • Gargants

Did I miss any?  Probably.  But I noticed that more than a few Destruction players have wanted a shiny new race for their Grand Alliance, and I wasn't buying it.  When I made this list, adding in whatever the Stormcast are was a last-minute decision, and I'm still not sure if I shouldn't just cut them out seeing how they're pretty much all human and probably think of themselves as such.  But then that'd be a rabbit hole for the forces of Death....

Those destruction factions can all be summed up as orks with reskins. They all act and follow ork like culture and patterns and this is why you see many destruction fans asking for an actually new destruction race that isn’t simply an ork resin. Tons of variety in the other 3 ga in terms of lore and culture. They act so similar to each other I tend to lump them under orcish race in general. I am a fan of destruction as well and have some beastclaw so it’s not me not liking destruction or anything either. 

Archived