What would you like to see in alternative starter sets/versus boxes?

kenshin620

Gotta think you stay with the realm matchups, and fighting against Chaos:

Fyreslayers vs Khorne (Fire)

KO vs Tzeentch (Metal)

Sylvaneth vs Nurgle (Life)

Nagash vs Skaven (Death)

Idoneth vs Slaanesh (Light)

Daughters vs Slaves to Darkness (Shadow)

Ironjawz vs Beasts of Chaos (Beasts)

Inevitably, the next Starter is likely to be a new Destruction Force vs Stormcast designed to fight them.

47 minutes ago, SuperHappyTime said:

Gotta think you stay with the realm matchups, and fighting against Chaos:

Fyreslayers vs Khorne (Fire)

KO vs Tzeentch (Metal)

Sylvaneth vs Nurgle (Life)

Nagash vs Skaven (Death)

Idoneth vs Slaanesh (Light)

Daughters vs Slaves to Darkness (Shadow)

Ironjawz vs Beasts of Chaos (Beasts)

Inevitably, the next Starter is likely to be a new Destruction Force vs Stormcast designed to fight them.

This is basically what I thought too though slaanesh could be moved to Ulgu (there is hints slaanesh took over Hysh but thus far the only solid lore puts them in Ulgu).

I'd love to see some non-Chaos boxes too but they generally do the best job as the enemy to fight against.

Another alternative would be to create some proper rivalries between factions (not necessarily relying on old ones). Especially if they are focused around the Free Cities to build up their lore and provide and idea of who the main enemies in each area are.

You could have Slyvaneth against a Greywater Fastness force which fits with the Malign Portents lore that has come out and maybe a Nurgle Vs Living City or Hallowheart Vs Tzeentch.

Untamed Wilds

(Beasts of Chaos vs Wanderers)

Great Bray Shaman

10 Ungor Raiders

10 Ungors

10 Bestigors

New Beastlord Model

New Named Female Waywatcher Model

20 Glade Guard

10 Sisters of the Watch

10 Eternal Guard

The idea is to have a mainly melee army vs mainly a shooting army, and to have some female models floating around on the part of the Wanderers. Give the new Waywatcher a command ability and the like, and an awesome pose.

Legions of the Damned

Legions of Nagash vs Slaves to Darkness

20 Skeleton Warriors

20 Skeleton Warriors

Necromancer

5 Black Knights

New Mounted Wight King Model

New Chaos Lord on Daemonic Mount

5 Chaos Knights

10 Chaos Warriors

20 Marauders

Basically a war between a dead city and Chaos, each with mounted leaders. Comprising mainly old models, GW could cram loads in whilst giving a new LoN player a solid start on an army.

The realm-themed box is definitely a good idea, so stick with that. I think also using it in the same way as 40K is doing- i.e. taking it as an opportunity to put a new character model out there- would be a good idea, so maybe taking factions that has lots of good plastics and some resin kits that need redoing would be the way forward.

Seraphon- you could chuck out a new Slann or Saurus hero on foot alongside some existing Saurus Warriors, Skinks or Temple Guard.
Wanderers- a new Nomad Prince or Waystrider or Spellweaver plus Glade Guard, Wild Riders, whatever.
Beasts of Chaos- Gors, Bulgors, a shiny new Beastlord.

And so on.

I would like to see Path to Glory get some of the Kill Team treatment; smaller sets that contain a warband or two, and some realm specific terrain. Realm themed sets in general would be nice to have.  

As a personal wishlist, I'd love to see something like Beasts of Chaos vs Wanderers/Sylvaneth, if nothing else because it'd be a box I keep all to myself for fabulous goats and Exodite conversions.  It could also be a good means of adding in a new Beast hero, since most of these boxes tend to have at least one new model per faction/alt sculpts etc. 

1 hour ago, Murder Pancake said:

I would like to see Path to Glory get some of the Kill Team treatment; smaller sets that contain a warband or two, and some realm specific terrain. Realm themed sets in general would be nice to have. 

Never thought of that. I think GW should really promote path to glory. I currently feel that most players sadly ignore those rules when flipping through their Battletomes (especially since it is in the middle of allegiance abilities and warscrolls). The problem though is that I think GW doesn't want to "compete" with itself on Shadespire for fantasy skirmish (yes aos skirmish exists..but it is not 40k Kill Team for sure).

On the topic of rivalries, do you think Fyreslayers vs Beastclaw Raiders is a thing? Fire vs Ice seems like a catchy theme even if ogres vs dwarfs isn't typical warhammer.

Another vote for Wanderer's vs Beasts. They seem to tick all of the boxes for this kind of starter set; any terrain included applies to both races, they both have existing plastic kits that hold up and both are in need of new hero models (which the set would provide). 

Failing that a set with opposing factions that can realistically ally with each other. Wrath and Rapture seems like a fantastic step in that sort of direction (at least it's the same grand alliance). Daughters vs Deepkin?

I wouldn't mind seeing Slaanesh and Skaven seeing as there's a new member of the pantheon, and one liable to come back soon wondering if Khorne left his door open so the rats could get in.  There is a slight precedent for a single allegiance box with this new realm of chaos release, but I won't get my hopes up.

Archived