What would you like to see in alternative starter sets/versus boxes?

kenshin620

While we technically still have Blight War (does anyone know if they actually repacked that for 2.0?) and they did briefly bring back the isle of blood starter (spire something right?), I'm kind of taking inspiration from all the recent versus boxes that 40k has been getting (seriously didn't tooth and claw just come out like 2 months ago or something! And they're getting another one!)

What kind of alternative starter sets/versus campaign boxes would you like to see AoS get? I'd love to see something that isn't Order vs [someone else], though we still don't have Order vs Destruction. And if its Order [non SCE] vs Destruction then even better! Maybe with Moonclan coming up there could be Kharadron Overlords or Fyreslayers vs Moonclan? Be like the old skull pass! Though probably on a smaller scale, like the 40k ones or Blightwar as opposed to Souls War.

I do realize it may be very possible the upcoming khorne vs slaanesh event/update may result in a AoS box (ah heck could it even be a 40k AND AoS box? that'd be interesting as long as you don't mix up the rulebooks!) Though I also think it would be interesting to have a GA fight itself that also allows both of them to be allies (unlike khorne and slaanesh outside of GA). Like maybe Ironjawz vs Bonesplitterz, even if those two don't really have synergy.

What do you have on your wishlist or even think could be a decent possibility? Other than more SCE.....

23 minutes ago, stato said:

Well taking from the path of 40k, it would be Stormcast vs something, or at least 'new big order model' vs something

...why do I think this is just going to turn into another Stormcast hater thread? ?

Hey its not my fault GW keeps making them!

I mean I wouldn't hate a new vs box with sce in them. But we already did that with blightwar! Plus I'm not sure what part of the sce they could pull from anyways since the first starter set was the base sce, blight war was vanguard, and souls war was sacrosanct. Unless they did the dragon section?

And to be fair Forgebane was Adeptus Mechanicus+Imperial Knights vs Necrons. So not all of the vs boxes have been space marines! Just the majority...

10 minutes ago, kenshin620 said:

And to be fair Forgebane was Adeptus Mechanicus+Imperial Knights vs Necrons. So not all of the vs boxes have been space marines! Just the majority...

Course that is because there is more space marine factions and models than any other army as well.

Be neat to have a DoK vs Seekers box. The last stand box as they try to fight of the demons from freeing Slaanesh.

Brettonians vs Tomb Kings

j/k

I would like to see realm-themed box sets. Each set could contain two factions that are likely to cohabit that realm, and maybe a couple small pieces of thematic scatter terrain or objective markers based on each realm's realmstone type. An example could be a Ghur box containing a mixed BoC force and a destruction force (iron jaws, moonclan, beastclaw raiders, etc). Included terrain could be something along the lines of the skeletal remains of godbeasts embedded in the rocky outcroppings of a barren wasteland. Kharadron Overlords vs Disciples of Tzeentch in Chamon. Daughters of Khaine vs Slaanesh in Ulgu. You get the idea: realm-themed box sets.

I wanna see sc sets for green skins, grots and ogres first as they are my main armies. And battletomes. Any box with destruction is good for me. I also quite like khorne all varieties so that’s something I’d enjoy seeing. I’d rather not have another stormcastbbox as I split all the sets in price and models with my gaming partner and neither play stormcast anymore... Rats would be cool

32 minutes ago, Domowoj said:

You get the idea: realm-themed box sets.

22 minutes ago, MacDuff said:

With some realm-themed terrain, please.

Yea that does sound pretty cool. I'd be disappointed if the upcoming khorne/slaanesh thing doesn't involve terrain. Heck Beasts finally got their Herdstone.

At least with AoS theres more incentive to have things other than "The Empire" 95% of the time!

40 minutes ago, sorokyl said:

the most unpainted box set in GW history

Don't look at my battle for skull pass! It's not ready!

8 minutes ago, Ragnar Alpaca said:

What about that wrath and rapture thing they hinted?

The Khorne vs Slaanesh thing? I mentioned that being an actual possible versus set. In fact if it was 100% daemon vs Daemon, it could be for both 40k and AoS.

29 minutes ago, kenshin620 said:

Don't look at my battle for skull pass! It's not ready!

The Khorne vs Slaanesh thing? I mentioned that being an actual possible versus set. In fact if it was 100% daemon vs Daemon, it could be for both 40k and AoS.

I actually forgot that’s what wrath and rapture shown in the trailer lol.

I’d like to see Ironjawz vs. Disciples of Tzeentch but what I’d like and what GW are likely to produce are two very different things.

All of these boxes have been existing models + one new model for each faction so I actually don’t feel they lend themselves to AoS as much as 40K. AoS has far more model ranges due for large updates and these boxes are only slightly better value than the Start Collecting boxes (in Australia anyway) so I’d rather see GW’s focus elsewhere personally.

That being said, I could see them including a few “old world” armies like Skaven, Seraphon, Slaves to Darkness or Freeguild to give them a bit of a boost.

I‘d like to see:

redone city sets, example Anvilguard:

- Redone plastic Dreadlord on Drakespawn (Different naming like Dread King/Dread Legion Commander), added the Darkling Covens and Order Serpentis Keyword + on foot version

- 10 Dreadspears, 10 Bleakswords

- 5 Drakespawn Guard (redone Knights: with altered armour and heavily armoured Drakespawns)

- 10 ironbreakers, 10 Irondrakes, 5 grudge thunderers (double-shot-rifle thunderers wearing heavy gromril like ironbreakers)

- 5 Liberators, redone poses, updated warscroll

- 5 Paladins, updated warscroll

- Knight Heraldor

_________

_________

apart from that they could do an aerial battle set.

Blood and Skull:

(a.k.a Bloodwars)

Soulblight VS Khorne:

(including new Blood Knights {males and females - updated warscroll} a generic Soulblight Vamp on Horse or on Foot {Male and female option}, a multipart Khorgorath and new Khorne Hounds)

———

Daughters VS Slaanesh

———

Freeguild (new models) vs Beastmen

so many possibilities...

Id like to see a fourway box, with a contingent of each grand alliance. Maybe a bit more pricey than the usual set up, say instead of 100 it would cost 140- 155 the bargain itself would make me want to spend an extra £40. In that case I would like to see.

-Stormcast spearmen with supporting Azyr Militia, led by Stormcast Inquisitor Type with pet.

- Vampire Lord with Zombies and maybe even some Vamp Cavalry.

-Plastic Chaos Lord on mount, some updated Chosen,  plastic beast of sorts.

-Ogres, a plastic butcher, Gorger and a new unit with an exciting weapon and look, maybe a unit of gutsmen?

I don’t know. Something to tie old broken armies together. Dispossessed in some kind of actual functioning army, or Dark Elves, or Vampires (Soulblight is really really bad man and all their models are resin except the zombie dragon vamp lord :() or one that expands on really small armies with something cool and new like Fyreslayers or Ironjawz. 

Beastmen getting an update and being consolidated into a comprehensive and cohesive force gives me hope but there’s still a ton of old stuff that’s still in tatters. 

I don’t even like Skaven but some kind of Skaven box that also makes them actually playable in a good way would be an improvement overall for the health of the game.

The faster old broken crappy armies are brought back and made relevant and actually viable outside of pure fun the better. 

Nagash and Seraphon can’t rule forever if Dwarves, Elves, Ogres and stuff get strong too. 

Deepkin vs Slaanesh (with new models) would be thematic, and deepkin at least could use a bargain bundle. If it came with reworked Deepkin points so that there is a competitive build not completely reliant on morsarr guard spam, all the better.

Archived