NOVA Open Age of Sigmar Grand Tounament Top 10 Results (with lists!)

sal4m4nd3r

Hello! Here are the results from the Age of Sigmar grand tournament held at the NOVA Open this passed weekend. Army lists included.

If you haven’t downloaded the Best Coast Pairings app yet..umm what are you doing? ? It’s a great app. Garrett @gmulroney and his team do a GREAT job running events. If you like this information spend the $5 and get access to ALL the lists from every major event and keep up to date with list trends. A MUST for tournament go-ers! (I don’t work for BCP, just love their product. 

Here are the top 10 results (allegiance only).  The links are to that armies list. I marked if that Legions of Nagash army actually had  Nagash in the list with (Nagash) to differentiate from a Legions of Nagash army that didn’t take Nagash..

1. Blades of Khorne https://imgur.com/a/n3q67QS

2. Disciples of Tzeentch https://imgur.com/a/T9XsnPP

3. Maggotkin of Nurgle (Me) https://imgur.com/a/fgpkTjU

4. Idoneth Deepkin https://imgur.com/a/HzTg8UO

5. Legions of Nagash (Nagash) https://imgur.com/a/OpQ35ZZ

6. Flesh Eater Courts https://imgur.com/a/qJY3GTO

7. Daughters of Khaine https://imgur.com/a/EaNWSU4

8. Legions of Nagash (Nagash) https://imgur.com/a/QPOfU9i

9. Legions of Nagash https://imgur.com/a/eaOkGey

10. Skaven (Clan Skryre) https://imgur.com/a/3fhWdTy

That is quite a diverse field! I was excited to take 3rd. What an amazing event to be a part of!

• Replies 148
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Nagash won. This list is skewed by paint score. Painting should be a separate thing. 

More importantly, sportsmanship is important. I know someone who played David Fields. After the game David apologized for 'being a ******' during the game....  'nuff said.

Also in terms of painting, David had 40k tanks on his bloodthirster bases, which should be big marks off in terms of AoS painting.

34 minutes ago, WoollyMammoth said:

Nagash won. This list is skewed by paint score. Painting should be a separate thing. 

More importantly, sportsmanship is important. I know someone who played David Fields. After the game David apologized for 'being a ******' during the game....  'nuff said.

Also in terms of painting, David had 40k tanks on his bloodthirster bases, which should be big marks off in terms of AoS painting.

That’s an opinion. I think painting and sportsmanship is a vital art of the hobby and should affect your score. 

There are no tanks in the mortal realms??

If this event had a “best general” winner I would have included that in the results. But it didn’t, so I didn’t. Khorne won. And that’s not subjective. 

8BCBDE8E-5D3C-4DCB-8AA0-A9B6A676CF2D.png

6E03A46C-31DA-4A8D-8676-3DB98E5F1D02.png

21 minutes ago, The Jabber Tzeentch said:

Well done on third ?? I have a similar nurgle list I’m about to take to a tournament only it’s plague cyst not blight cyst and has 40 marauders and cogs instead of the war shrine. 

How did you find your games? Any tweeks to your list?  What army was hardest for you?

I mean for other tournaments I might run the same list. Maybe something different. All depends! Plague cyst seems fun..I just didn’t have time to find it’s “secret sauce”. Blight cyst is more straight forward. 

Blight cyst with cogs and gutrot is dirty though. Ambush 10 kings with rend and only needing a 6” charge ?.

I enjoyed every single game. I payed James o briens 10th place Skyre game. My only loss. He popped up and got the harbinger...as he rightly should have. It’s the key to the army. The warshrine is much much better then I originally thought. It’s surprisingly Tanky, rerolling all wounds is so so good on kings who get a ton of hits, and is no slouch in combat. Big footprint for zoning out objectives and and units. I payed aggressively with it as losing it didn’t really hurt me. It amplified almost every aspect of the list but wasn’t vital to any one part.

@sal4m4nd3r
I'm a painter, no one appreciates painting more than me. But if I go to a tournament I want there to be a legitimate, separate painting competition. I don't mind if there are 'best general' and "best painted" and then an overall combined vote.

But here we are not looking at painting, we are looking at the top 10 and the lists. Painting does not matter to us here. We are interested to know who had the best list and who played their list the best.

David Fields came in first with 40k models. I have direct reports that he was a bad sport. Look at William Soehaili - he went undefeated. He got marks off painting because his bases were only airbrushed. Look how terrible it looks, I can see why he should be kicked down to 5th:

unknown.png

@WoollyMammoth I don’t think I could agree with you more. I want all events to have best painted, best general, best overall, best GA and best sport/favorite opponent. That’s how I would run an event if it were me. But this event had only one criteri which was a weighted score for all aspects. So even if mr. fields was a bad sport (which I heard things the days of that corroborate your statements) he had the right recipe to win the event. If people don’t like Events that are run that way, they shouldn’t attend. Just because you smash face doesn’t guarantee you the win!

Also, I’m not even sure if that model should have been allowed. Pretty sure it was in the pick that modes cannot have simply painted bases. I don’t care how much face he smashed. He didn’t follow the rules of the event and I’m glad he was penalized. I spent MONTHS intricately arranging details on my models. Especially the bases. I’m happy to see this reflected in the final score.

The rubric and score criteria were handed out well in advance, but I can see how something as subjective as painting score and sportsmanship making up over 1/3 of your score can be a bit off-putting for many.

It's all in good fun, guys, and I'm pretty certain this was for charity.  If people are 4-2, 3-3 and in top 10 above 5-1 and 6-0, it's not the most "matched play competitive" event.  I can see why they asked people if they wanted the results submitted to the ITC, because maybe it wasn't intended to be all about the dice, and instead about a little more than that.

I went 4-2 major victories/losses, with 74 match points and 9000-9500 kill points and got 45th place with a fully painted/based/glowing/weathered army, and still had an absolute blast regardless of result.

@sal4m4nd3r
The base looks cool. its objective. He went through the trouble of making a cool kitbash but rushed the base just to attend? No - this is how he wants the base to look, and in no way should he be penalized for this gorgeous model.

Unfortunately we mostly don't have a way to know what is going to know whats going to happen at a tournament. There is no baseline which we should expect to see. Also, its way to niche of a hobby for people to be dropping out due to poor organization. 

Organizers just need to start taking sportsmanship seriously. The painting thing is not a big deal but when a poor sport with 40k models 'wins' your tournament, you are doing something seriously wrong. If this keeps happening we are going to see a huge downturn in tournament attendance. 

The interesting news to my eye is that outside of Nagash (which might be partly due to a big release of new awesome models not just rules) there isn't a big leading army and even Nagash isn't ranking all the way at the top each time. That there's a big spread of armies is very encouraging and good for the game. It means htere's variety and choice in the balance of the game at the competitive end which filters back to the casual in a positive way. 

Also the lack of Stormcast is a good thing in my view. Ok so I don't want no stormcast, but that the big poster army isn't dominating the top rankings is very good as it means this balance is s ticking not just with the "other races" but with the big iconic market promotion army too! 

I played Mr. Urban game 1 and have to say for my first game at a big tournament he was a great guy and a pleasure to play! He won it with a 10” charge onto an objective  in final turn. He has my thanks and hearty congratulations on the placing, well earned!

1 hour ago, High Overlord Xenu said:

You cannot judge a competitive tournament on subjective qualities. It just doesn't work, and is especially prone to opponents torpedoing each other out of spite.

Cheating is objective. There was cheating going on at NOVA. Lets start there.

Painting is generally subjective, and was used to completely change the rankings. So subjectivity is not foreign to these events.

Sportsmanship score may be subjective, but if someone is rated a poor sport by 6-6 people, its pushing objective fact.

Wrong rule calls by the GM is objective.

Getting penalized for models themed for 40k in an AoS tournament could be made an objective painting rule.

Giving a person with beautiful conversions a bad score because his conversions don't meet the 'general guidelines' is an example of being objective where subjectivity is more appropriate. Use common sense, not just abide by the rules blindly. The rules are to prevent people from half-assing their painting and modeling, which is not that case at all with his army.

5 minutes ago, WoollyMammoth said:

Cheating is objective. There was cheating going on at NOVA. Lets start there.

Painting is generally subjective, and was used to completely change the rankings. So subjectivity is not foreign to these events.

Sportsmanship score may be subjective, but if someone is rated a poor sport by 6-6 people, its pushing objective fact.

Wrong rule calls by the GM is objective.

Getting penalized for models themed for 40k in an AoS tournament could be made an objective painting rule.

Giving a person with beautiful conversions a bad score because his conversions don't meet the 'general guidelines' is an example of being objective where subjectivity is more appropriate. Use common sense, not just abide by the rules blindly. The rules are to prevent people from half-assing their painting and modeling, which is not that case at all with his army.

You have provided no evidence of cheating or incorrect TO rulings, just second-hand accounts with no effort to refute the first-hand accounts that contradict you.

Edit: Furthermore, I have come to learn that the "bloodthirster on a tank" was a last-minute walk-in that was allowed by the judges in order to make the matchups even. It was not expressly made for AoS.

NOVA's scoring was pre published. All players would have known how overall was scored going into the event. Take nothing away from the player that played the pack and competed for best overall. However, if you want to look at lists one should look at the placings without paint and sports.

(Note: that at NOVA even battle is not purely book mission (Battle Points) since there are both primary and secondaries that contribute to placings you get in the BCP app when you do not select the overall tab. If you look you will see a little green number such as 17. That would be 10 points for the Major win, 5 points for the secondary, and 2 for tertiary. Events with packs where the book missions only contribute to 37.5% of overall placing and  58.8% of battle are not ones I enjoy playing.)

DmL-yE1W4AIciQ4.jpg

I would just like to add that I was extremely, extremely disappointed that painting was taken into consideration for the final results in the doubles tournament as well. I'm pretty sure we had a solid lock on last place, but then our damn painting and sportsmanship scores raised us up a bit. Next time I'm busting out models coated in enamel.

Archived