GW Update: AoS2 Base Size Suggestions - Corrections Collation

syph0n

Hopefully they address this quickly. I have been waiting to rebase models until we got an official chart... now I’ll keep waiting till we get a statement about any revisions.

I am playing a small tournament this weekend and have already moved 6 fanatics on to 32s. I’ll be slightly upset with if I have to more them back to 25s.

I wanted to get started moving ogres on squares to ogres on ovals but I’ll sit on that for the time being.

• Replies 78
  • Created
  • Last Reply
3 hours ago, amysrevenge said:

I reckon mandatory base sizes would need to be included right on the warscroll.  Not in the GHB in the pitched battle profile alongside points, not in some appendix or FAQ or other document on the website.  Right on the warscroll where the other modelling information is kept: weapon options, command model options, base size. Right in that first paragraph.

That is how Malifaux handles it.  Base sizes are a bit more important in that game given the smaller play area and skirmish rules.  But I still really appreciate that they put the base sizes on their card version of warscrolls.

13 hours ago, TheOtherJosh said:

Chaos:

Bloodbound

The Bloodsecrator (while shipping with a 32mm base) doesn’t balance well at all with a 32mm and really should be on a 40mm.

This is very open to debate, I dont really see it as an issue as the Starter kit and the Mighty Lord + Bloodsecrator kit both have him provided with a 32mm base...

Not saying it would matter too much but if you catch the banner too much during gaming the 40mm base isn't going to change that.

14 hours ago, EMMachine said:

Yep. Minus the yellow edits haha.

19 minutes ago, Killax said:

This is very open to debate, I dont really see it as an issue as the Starter kit and the Mighty Lord + Bloodsecrator kit both have him provided with a 32mm base...

I would generally have agreed that the bases models are provided on should be the first priority, but I think there remains the need to be flexible, with the bloodsecrator a prime example.   Essentially all other AoS Bloodbound hero releases came with 40mm bases, and yet the bloodsecrator (the tallest/bulkiest infantry hero of the lot) comes with a 32mm.  It's just an example of earlier GW getting it wrong, and I think common sense or personal preference still has a role to play in base size selection.  My bloodsecrator will remain on a 40mm.

Two reasons why I'll continue to use what base feels right over this chart:

-GW have stated these are the recommended sizes. People (on facebook at least) are jumping all over this, taking this list as now set in stone by the mighty overlords at GW.
Recommended doesn't mean anything more than that, even if the people that need to be spoonfed are claiming otherwise.

-GW can't be bothered to ship models with the 'correct' bases in the first place. I understand that old, sealed stock will still come with squares but I picked up a number of items for death when the nagash book came out and these items were on the 'pre-order' listing, which included pictures of them on rounds. They sent out, for example, the corpse cart in a plain mail order white boxed (so not sealed) with an old square base. I now either have to fork out for a round base, use a square (which won't match the rest of the army now) or leave it off a base (looks horrid and now 'technically' against the rules)

My fanatics will remain on 25s. Not only are they too small to go on 32s but they have been on 25 rounds since they were released.

2 hours ago, Killax said:

Yep. Minus the yellow edits haha.

Hm, there must have been another link then. I know that I found the link here.

7 hours ago, Skabnoze said:

That is how Malifaux handles it.  Base sizes are a bit more important in that game given the smaller play area and skirmish rules.  But I still really appreciate that they put the base sizes on their card version of warscrolls.

I actually think, if I used a bigger base I'm not really caring about the basesize of the document (it's more a problem if they are smaller than the document suggests).

I mean, I used 32mm Bases in both projects here, where normally 25mm would have been used:

In the case of the Faithful, some of the models needed the bigger bases because there coremodels I used had bigger ones (the Kairic Acolythes and Sisters of Silence). But in most cases I have the feeling the bigger basesize looks better.

Setting a fix basesize is one thing I really disliked about WHFB and 9th Age because in 8. Edition some models got a little big for there basesize building a regiment.

CHAOS - KHORNE:

Flesh hounds on ovals I'm happy with - I've based mine that way already because it makes most sense. It's the normal dog and light cav base size. Karanak on a slightly larger oval seems fine (just annoying for people who already have him based differently).

Bloodsecrator: I'm keeping mine on 40mm thank you very much. 32mm doesn't make any sense.

Skarbrand:  Can't they give us the option of putting him on the 120 oval bloodthirster base OR the 100mm round that he comes with?

Skullmaster (bloodletter herald on juggernaut):  Seems a bit weird that he gets a round base, considering the 3 other juggernaut-riding units in the army are all on 90mm ovals...

Interesting that Tzeentch Screamers get 32mm. Isn't that smaller than their flying base? For gameplay reasons I think a smaller base is better for them, in order to fly over enemies and land behind for their slashing attacks.

2 hours ago, BrAiKo said:

I would generally have agreed that the bases models are provided on should be the first priority, but I think there remains the need to be flexible, with the bloodsecrator a prime example.   Essentially all other AoS Bloodbound hero releases came with 40mm bases, and yet the bloodsecrator (the tallest/bulkiest infantry hero of the lot) comes with a 32mm.  It's just an example of earlier GW getting it wrong, and I think common sense or personal preference still has a role to play in base size selection.  My bloodsecrator will remain on a 40mm.

I would be totally fine with it on a 40mm base, though it reaps a slight advantage over a 32mm. In this case though I REALLY liked the set up these forums made to use models with the bases supplied. Which is why I am fine with some Bloodbound heroes on 32 and some on 40. While indeed including older models we have the mix of 32 and 40 allready.

What I like much less is that Skarbrand now is supplied with "the wrong base" and so are all non-Riptooth variants of Fleshhounds... Sometimes...

I've updated the first post. If I've missed something or it's incorrect, please @ me to help!

EDIT:

I'm most keen to find out on ones that are currently supplied on rounds but are now changing inexplicably (ie: will affect everyone who currently owns the model, and any future owners if GW don't change the supplied bases)

Well, have a look through guys as GW have updated the FAQ:

https://www.warhammer-community.com/faqs/?utm_source=Facebook&utm_medium=Facebook&utm_campaign=AoSBaseSizesMkIIJune29&utm_content=AoSBaseSizesMkIIJune29

Great to see such a quick response. Well done @Ben Johnson and Co. 

Avatar/Medusa are now as packaged. All High Aelf Dragons are the same (120mm) and the two Black Dragons are too (105mm, too small for my tastes, but consistency is good and I won't complain!). 

Can you guys check against the Chaos other ones as in the OP and I'll happily update again. 

5 minutes ago, syph0n said:

Well, have a look through guys as GW have updated the FAQ:

https://www.warhammer-community.com/faqs/?utm_source=Facebook&utm_medium=Facebook&utm_campaign=AoSBaseSizesMkIIJune29&utm_content=AoSBaseSizesMkIIJune29

Great to see such a quick response. Well done @Ben Johnson and Co. 

Avatar/Medusa are now as packaged. All High Aelf Dragons are the same (120mm) and the two Black Dragons are too (105mm, too small for my tastes, but consistency is good and I won't complain!). 

Can you guys check against the Chaos other ones as in the OP and I'll happily update again. 

Chaos 

Blades of Khorne all are with what they come wih in box.

All Bloodbound Heroes That were expecting to see on 40’s (Exalted Deathbringers etc.)

Skaven MOULDER packmaster is back on a 25mm round.

Whoa, soul grinder swapped from knight-sized oval to mega 160mm round. I do prefer circles to ovals but unexpected. Also  screamers jumped from 32mm round to 60mm! Was that to match the herald on disc? Or because the writer was thinking of the wrong flight stand size? Because they come with the smaller ones :/

2 minutes ago, Boss Salvage said:

Whoa, soul grinder swapped from knight-sized oval to mega 160mm round. I do prefer circles to ovals but unexpected. Also  screamers jumped from 32mm round to 60mm! Was that to match the herald on disc? Or because the writer was thinking of the wrong flight stand size? Because they come with the smaller ones :/

Screamers on 60’s makes much more sense if you look at their body profile. Not as handy as 60x35mm that I found worked pretty alright.

And you aren’t supposed to overlap models anymore. And you literally couldn’t get to within attack range of the base on a 32mm from front or back of the model ;) 

Looks like the Chaos Knights are on a bigger base now than Chaos Marauder Horsemen. Drat, since I ordered and am building a whole lot of 60mm ovals for them since last month! At least I'm using the old metal models with plastic horses, so it's not like the models look too big for their base, but as I'm slotting the models into a textured slab of sculpey on top of the base I'm not going to rebase.

Although yikes, screamers on 60mm now? Mine are on 32's, but I only have three of them so I guess I might have to change those up.

Going forward with armies and rebasing my old stuff I really like having an official chart to refer to though. It makes it a lot easier.

2 minutes ago, Boss Salvage said:

Just seems like a very poor representation of the models-as-packaged as well as the in-game rules, though I guess useful for flying over things? I would have said 40mm (exactly like the flying Tzaangor things on that grid).

Take a look at the pictures of Screamers on p.55 (correction) of the DoT book they are on large flying bases.

The large flying bases are 55-60mm

18 hours ago, Condottiero Magno said:

IIRC, based on the discussions on the Oldhammer forum, those listed base sizes were merely suggestions. Back in WFB 3, Citadel didn't have 50mm+ bases, though they did have an oval and a hex base.

It's been years since I looked, but they sure didn't feel like suggestions to me. You saw the WS, , T, Cool, and other stats ... And then you saw (for example) base size: 20mm.

Not as a suggestion, but just plain listed like any stat.

6 minutes ago, AngiesArmies said:

Chaos Knights are on a bigger base now than Chaos Marauder Horsemen

They’ve listed as the larger 70x42 for well over a year on the website.

They unfortunately don’t  make a 70x42mm Shattered Dominion base option (or 50mm either)

@Boss Salvage @AngiesArmies Yeah ... mine didn’t either. (I started to look at redoing them onto the 60x35mm cavalry because they balanced and fit the profile better.)

But if you’re having to measure from the base for attacks, then they basically have an nearly 0” attack range on those 32mm bases.

2 minutes ago, TheOtherJosh said:

They’ve listed as the larger 70x42 for well over a year on the website.

Oh damn. Then I messed up :/. I put some of my Khorne Knights on 60x35mm near release of AOS and went from that. Looking at the chart the Chaos Knights are quite an odd one out on that size - only other cavalry on a larger base are Varanguard and those are pretty huge.

Still from a visual point of view I like the smaller bases for the smaller models anyway! There's already a fair amount of base leftover with their slightly puny horses.

6 minutes ago, AngiesArmies said:

Oh damn. Then I messed up :/. I put some of my Khorne Knights on 60x35mm near release of AOS and went from that. Looking at the chart the Chaos Knights are quite an odd one out on that size - only other cavalry on a larger base are Varanguard and those are pretty huge.

Still from a visual point of view I like the smaller bases for the smaller models anyway! There's already a fair amount of base leftover with their slightly puny horses.

Yeah ... I did wonder their logic ... but the description on the webpage for them indicated as such, and it gives them a much larger control presence in comparison to the marauder horsemen, who are on the smaller unarmored horses and 60mm bases.

https://www.games-workshop.com/Chaos-Knights-2016 Description: “Supplied with ten Citadel 75x42mm Oval bases.”

Archived