AoS 2 - Daughters of Khaine Discussion

Chris Tomlin

3 minutes ago, Graywater said:

Thought you'd like that.

2d6+run and charge is HUGE. Average threat range for a unit of blood sisters becomes 22 inches. Makes melusai an actual turn 1 threat for sure. If she allows snakes as battleline if shes your general, then the medusa is in real threat of being dropped.

Agreed. 2D6 is amazing, makes sure those snakes get in there faster.

I love how viable the Melusai are becoming as they are the coolest models, lots of ways to get extra attacks and attack multiple times, along with this new rule for a 2D6 run and charge, it gives us another really good option to bring to the table.

She's a leader so battleline isn't anything for her. Unless you mean making melusai/khinerai battleline then we already have the rule with the Bloodwrack which allows us to make melusai battleline if the bloodwrack is taken as a general

Her anti-magic effect is interesting in that it will work on any spell not just enemy spells and its a choice so you don't have to use it if you want a beneficial spell to affect her. Though its limited to just her, though it at least gives her a bit of protection against being spell-sniped. 

The turn to crystal ability might be a curious one in that it only has a 1 inch range. So opponents wise to her should learn to remove casualties directly in contact to avoid taking that mortal wound. It also means she has a minor snipe ability if you can get her in range of a key enemy unit with 1 wound of health. Even if the opponent removes other units in the block from her regular attacks, her crystal ability can still hurt that one unit .

With all these buffs to snakes, am I the only one concerned that the MW attack on the blood sisters will get removed or changed to an end of combat phase roll? With so many ways to add attacks, 4+ MW x 3 attacks per snake sounds too good. Sure you need to synergize with it but if you run snakes you would be doing that anyway, so it really seems like a new Battletome to come in the months following would see that rule nerfed...

what are your thoughts? I concerned to buy and paint tons of snakes and have it all change in Q1 2021 (speculatively speeking)

Well don't forget these buffs are not all for free, you have to build around them to make it work and we still don't know her points. In addition Blood sisters have been under-performing in the tome for a while, an added attack on them makes them far more what they should be. 

Of course any skew list is going to be open to changes, if you build all witch aelves there's a risk it can change, just as if you build all melusai. Plus a new tome might well bring new warrior models that will change things even more. That's always a risk. 

2 hours ago, Silphid said:

With all these buffs to snakes, am I the only one concerned that the MW attack on the blood sisters will get removed or changed to an end of combat phase roll? With so many ways to add attacks, 4+ MW x 3 attacks per snake sounds too good. Sure you need to synergize with it but if you run snakes you would be doing that anyway, so it really seems like a new Battletome to come in the months following would see that rule nerfed...

what are your thoughts? I concerned to buy and paint tons of snakes and have it all change in Q1 2021 (speculatively speeking)

I'm 100% certain their Crystal Touch will be changed to be identical to the Ironscale rule; the rule explaining how it works for Blood Sisters is called 'Turned to Crystal', same as the Ironscale. 

Obviously they realized stacking bonus attacks on the Crystal Touch in conjunction with the new 2D6 run and charge would get out of hand real quick, but assuming this change happens it'll be interesting to see if they get any buffs to their warscroll otherwise.

Edited by Jaskier
  • Like 2

You are probably right, well spotted. Since it also specifies “at the end of the combat phase”, can’t even make shenanigans with Morathi’s or the Slaughter queen’s CA to make them fight out of phase for more MW...

Assuming the blood sisters stay the same with this nerfed Turned to crystal attack, at 140pts  they would feel overcosted. Thoughts?

25 minutes ago, Silphid said:

You are probably right, well spotted. Since it also specifies “at the end of the combat phase”, can’t even make shenanigans with Morathi’s or the Slaughter queen’s CA to make them fight out of phase for more MW...

Assuming the blood sisters stay the same with this nerfed Turned to crystal attack, at 140pts  they would feel overcosted. Thoughts?

Honestly if they nerf the crystal touch attack they should go down in points. IMHO they should stay as they are, because otherwise there goes our most reliable source of MWs. While one attack on a 3+ is statistically better than one attack on a 4+, not being considered a melee weapon eliminates any chance of +1 attack shenanigans. So that I understand. They did remove the +1 to hit for the leader for the Blood Stalkers so maybe that will happen for the Blood Sisters as well. I suppose we will just have to wait and see.

1 hour ago, Jaskier said:

I'm 100% certain their Crystal Touch will be changed to be identical to the Ironscale rule; the rule explaining how it works for Blood Sisters is called 'Turned to Crystal', same as the Ironscale. 

Obviously they realized stacking bonus attacks on the Crystal Touch in conjunction with the new 2D6 run and charge would get out of hand real quick, but assuming this change happens it'll be interesting to see if they get any buffs to their warscroll otherwise.

I didnt consider this at first, but it makes sense to me. On the one hand, getting 3 or 4 crystal touch attacks is pretty outrageous, but on the other, reducing it to an end of phase effect drastically reduces the snakes' output. Particularly bad is the crystal touch was our one reliable mortal wound source. This change would leave us pretty desperate for mortal wound generation.

Agreed with all the above, I'm hoping either they'll drop in points or they'll get buffed in a different way. 

I'm very interested in the updated Blood Stalkers though, doubled in shots and their mortals happen on unmodified sixes. Doubling their output and making the mortals more reliable should finally give them a decent go of it, provided they don't jump up in points. 

2 hours ago, novakai said:

Hold on, the Ironscale would have to make Blood stalker/ Blood sister Battleline or the DoK side of the box can't be field legally without any natural battleline

Maybe on the points/organization page it will list them as battleline. Because usually that's where those entries have been and not on warscrolls. Or it will have the "battleline if" clause for the Medusa AND the Ironscale. Or Melusai and Khinerai are all considered battleline in a Zainthar Kai temple.

Edited by DJMoose
  • Like 2

4 hours ago, novakai said:

Hold on, the Ironscale would have to make Blood stalker/ Blood sister Battleline or the DoK side of the box can't be field legally without any natural battleline

The boxed sets often feature their own mini-campaign rules which are not always inline with the official game rules. So it might be the army in the box isn't "legal" but that a special condition in the box makes it so. They are also not always balanced since its only an optional game mode and considering the vast majority buy them for the models first; the game mode isn't really put under heavy scrutiny 

And made my order! :)

Shadow and Pain - Morathi and I also picked up the Underworld Warband

I'm still a bit torn on if I want a second shadow and pain set. The price is fantastic for what you get and I know if I collected only one of the two armies I'd have wound up with two sets of the models (swapping out the half I don't use). Thing is I can't think of a need for another 10 khinerai when I already own 20 of both variations and the mortal seeker riders are models I've never been fond of. That and this month is already being generally expensive with other hobby purchases.