AoS 2 - Daughters of Khaine Discussion

Chris Tomlin

Photo taken from the community page showing the contents of the first broken realms book:

Morathi-Khaine caught my eye, this is both a chapter in the narrative and appears to the the replacement name for the High Oracle.

What do you guys think? This sounds like Morathi may have finally succeeded in her quest for godhood! As well as the title for act 2, rise of a goddess.

We also now know the names of our new battalions 

B381AD91-0BE8-45F5-86C7-E23620E83084.jpeg

Edited by Gordrakk
  • Like 1

7 minutes ago, Gordrakk said:

Photo taken from the community page showing the contents of the first broken realms book:

Morathi-Khaine caught my eye, this is both a chapter in the narrative and appears to the the replacement name for the High Oracle.

What do you guys think? This sounds like Morathi may have finally succeeded in her quest for godhood! As well as the title for act 2, rise of a goddess.

We also now know the names of our new battalions 

B381AD91-0BE8-45F5-86C7-E23620E83084.jpeg

Judging from just the titles, I think you are right. It sounds like morathi is finally able to take khaine's place instead of simply siphoning off the power from his worshippers. I hope this is the case anyways. 

Just as exciting, but from the rules-side of things, it looks like we're getting 3 battalions along with both forms of morathi and the new temple. I was only expecting 1! Come on viable snake army! 🐍 🐍 🐍 

• Like 4

Wasn't Zainthar Kai(Cobra Kai)  a joke name from a page ago? (very very new to DoK so forgive me if I have mis-read/interpreted!). Also very interesting to spot that the StD new battalion falls under Deepkin? What is going on in Aelf land?!

Edited by KoganStyle

21 minutes ago, KoganStyle said:

Wasn't Zainthar Kai(Cobra Kai)  a joke name from a page ago? (very very new to DoK so forgive me if I have mis-read/interpreted!). Also very interesting to spot that the StD new battalion falls under Deepkin? What is going on in Aelf land?!

We knew the name zainthar kai before today, which is where all of that talk (and the cobra kai joking) came from. My hunch on the chaos stuff under idoneth is that its a misprint, but strange indeed if it was purposeful. 

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Graywater said:

We knew the name zainthar kai before today, which is where all of that talk (and the cobra kai joking) came from. My hunch on the chaos stuff under idoneth is that its a misprint, but strange indeed if it was purposeful. 

it was me lol. I'm making it a thing! 

As gray said, zainthar kai is the new faction and hopefully its a snake based faction, and since Cobra/snake then Cobra Kai!

• Haha 2

15 hours ago, Chumphammer said:

it was me lol. I'm making it a thing! 

As gray said, zainthar kai is the new faction and hopefully its a snake based faction, and since Cobra/snake then Cobra Kai!

Zainthar Kai never dies!

17 hours ago, Chumphammer said:

I would be happy with Morathi becoming Khaine Incarnate. 

Same! Would be cool to see the narrative move in such a way and would be nice to really cement Morathi as a big(or rather bigger) player.

Edited by Lightbox
  • LOVE IT! 1

Hi all. I am still new to DoK but an upcoming TTS tournament (lockdown again) will give me the occasion to learn directly on the battlefield :D yep, unfortunately the cutoff for the rules is before the release of the broken realms book :(

So I am hesitating between two lists, essentially with or without Morathi. Of course all comments are welcome even beyond the choice between the two :D

So list 1, with Morathi

Spoiler
Allegiance: Daughters of Khaine
- Temple: Hagg Nar
Slaughter Queen on Cauldron of Blood (330)
- General
- Command Trait: Devoted Disciples
- Artefact: Thousand and One Dark Blessings
- Prayer: Blessing of Khaine
Morathi High Oracle of Khaine (480)
- Lore of Shadows: Mindrazor
Morgwaeth the Bloodied (140)
- Prayer: Catechism of Murder
30 x Sisters of Slaughter (300)
- Barbed Whips and Blade Bucklers
10 x Sisters of Slaughter (120)
4 x The Blade-coven (0)
5 x Khinerai Heartrenders (90)
Slaughter Troupe (130)

Total: 1980 / 2000
Extra Command Points: 1
Allies: 0 / 400
Wounds: 108

list 2 without Morathi

Spoiler
- General
Bloodwrack Shrine (210)
- Artefact: Shadow Stone
Hag Queen on Cauldron of Blood (290)
Slaughter Troupe (130)

Wounds: 129

Why no witch aelves: I prefer the 6" pile in for mobility and tricks, damage is rarely an issue

Slaughter troupe: more or less the same, more mobility. I know I can retreat and attack with the 6" pile in, but the added charge movement allows me to get to the middle table objectives even when charged in my deployment zone in t1

1 hour ago, Marcvs said:

Hi all. I am still new to DoK but an upcoming TTS tournament (lockdown again) will give me the occasion to learn directly on the battlefield :D yep, unfortunately the cutoff for the rules is before the release of the broken realms book :(

So I am hesitating between two lists, essentially with or without Morathi. Of course all comments are welcome even beyond the choice between the two :D

So list 1, with Morathi

Hide contents
- General
Morathi High Oracle of Khaine (480)
Morgwaeth the Bloodied (140)
4 x The Blade-coven (0)
Slaughter Troupe (130)

Wounds: 108

list 2 without Morathi

Hide contents
- General
Bloodwrack Shrine (210)
- Artefact: Shadow Stone
Hag Queen on Cauldron of Blood (290)
Slaughter Troupe (130)

Wounds: 129

Why no witch aelves: I prefer the 6" pile in for mobility and tricks, damage is rarely an issue

Slaughter troupe: more or less the same, more mobility. I know I can retreat and attack with the 6" pile in, but the added charge movement allows me to get to the middle table objectives even when charged in my deployment zone in t1

I'm with you on sisters of slaughter over witches. As for your lists, I think both are quite solid. As much as I like morathi, I think your list without her is perhaps better in a tournament environment. Morathi is sometimes instrumental to hold up key enemy pieces, but is also sometimes inefficient for what you need her for, depending on what you're up against. A cauldron for your hag to boost her survivability and project a second bloodshield bubble and +1 bravery is really useful in a list running so many bladed bucklers. 

• Thanks 1

New Temple rules, a new command ability and a new warscroll battalion from the Broken Realms book, previewed today.

i must admit I am disappointed with the new temple rule, +1 Bravery is such an uninteresting ability and very underwhelming in my opinion.

Photos removed, too slow 🤣

Edited by Gordrakk

New rules:

https://www.warhammer-community.com/2020/11/03/broken-realms-new-rules/

I feel  like the Zainthar Kai allegiance ability is slightly dissapointing? It might help a little bit with Mindrazor. The command ability could be brutal with Blood Sisters, though.

EDIT: Damnit! Too slow 😅

Edited by foxicious
  • Like 1

6 minutes ago, foxicious said:

New rules:

https://www.warhammer-community.com/2020/11/03/broken-realms-new-rules/

I feel  like the Zainthar Kai allegiance ability is slightly dissapointing? It might help a little bit with Mindrazor. The command ability could be brutal with Blood Sisters, though.

EDIT: Damnit! Too slow 😅

It is very disappointing, very lazy rule writing in my opinion. You are correct though, it does help with Mindrazor.

The command ability with a big unit of blood sisters will be very nice! 

+1 Bravery is like a joke ability that people come up with. I can't believe it's real. Unless we see a bunch of new reasons to have high bravery, this is total garbage, even with Mindrazor. Think about how many armies have flat 10 bravery. Are people going to take the slightly higher chance at having a better Mindrazor (against some armies) over global rerolls to hit and 5+ ward? Or even Khailebron's global -1 to shoot and teleport. +1 Bravery...geez.

That Shrine Brood is also nothing. And I use a Bloodwrack Shrine! Why make it so you need 2 of them? Why make the ability so terrible? I don't understand the thinking behind this at all.

• Like 3

Wow. So the Allegiance ability is a clear miss. Melusai will be bravery 10, which is not helpful at all for mindrazor because it only lets us get over bravery 9. Not much falls under that category. Could be helpful if you combine it with the -1 bravery spell, but thats an even higher investment to make it work. And without bonuses to casting like some armies have, its super unlikely to get the full combo going.

And the battalion is useless. Bloodwrack Shrines!? 1 is just ok to help your mind razor caster survive, but 2? And your bonus is that you get to kill one of your important models that actually do something to heal a single wound. Thats a gut punch.

On a positive note, the +1 attack command ability is actually good. My biggest gripe has been the inability to gain access to any command abilities besides the core ones if you're building around snakes, which this clearly caters to. 

Here's to hoping the other battalions are better than this one, and the 2 morathi forms are interesting. Pretty disappointed overall so far though.

• Like 3

Just keep in mind, that we have only seen the allegiance ability so far. Zainthar Kai might still be a good temple. Hag Narr's strength also comes from its command trait for example.

I am also still looking forward for the remaining battalions, Morathi and the Ironscale.

• Like 2

15 minutes ago, foxicious said:

Just keep in mind, that we have only seen the allegiance ability so far. Zainthar Kai might still be a good temple. Hag Narr's strength also comes from its command trait for example.

I am also still looking forward for the remaining battalions, Morathi and the Ironscale.

This is what I am hoping. Once we have the full picture of Zainthar Kai it will be a good pick of a Temple.

9 minutes ago, foxicious said:

Absolutely. Im unsure if we will have anything else strictly temple related, since the daughters in temples don't get a trait, compulsory artifact, command trait, and ability. But maybe this will be a more modern suballegiance design and will get all of those. Hard to say. And the command ability is promising. But my hopes and dreams lie in the remaining battalions and new morathis. And maybe the ironscale "inspiring melusai" will combo well with our new command ability.

In the current shooting Meta, those options are not great

+1 attack on snakes is fantastic, and +1 Bra is good to give those snakes BR10 with a Cauldron 

Taking the battalion and using the 2nd Medusa to cast shroud of dispair will result in bonus wounds vs anyone (unless neg modifiers)

HOWEVER

VS -1 to hit/teleport or a 5+ FNP bubble....Im sorry its not gonna cut it.

Current Meta is shooting, and +1 attack +1 Bra is not going to help that. Same with the Battalion, if you could heal a cauldron also then sure thats great, but sadly I just dont thing it helps us atm. Hopefully new hero or morathi update adds some options

As someone who just started with the faction - the preview did seem kinda lacklustre, but hopefully there is more to come...

I have I've glued 40 out of 60 aelves now - 30 sisters and 10 witches - but I figured I'd ask here before I commit further. Would it be beneficial to go 30 of each and go say bucklers for sisters and daggers for the witches? Or should I go 40/20 so that I could field Slaughter Troupe potentially? Just want to go with the option that I'm least likely to regret for the immediate future - seems like everything is used to some extent, but I've not been able to find many recent DoK  lists.  I'll probably end up with more elves later but first I will hold out hope that I can go buy a bunch more snakes instead because they are a lot cooler heh.