AoS 2 - Daughters of Khaine Discussion

Chris Tomlin

First post, happy holidays etc.

I've stumbled into some DoK.

Got points to push playable if neutered. I'm just looking for advice on what to build.

I've got:

1x Ironwrack 

5x Bloodstalkers

5 x Bloodsisters 

10x Witches

10x Sisters

I've got a start collecting and Morathi to build.

Got a half an idea. 

Would love some suggestions.

23 hours ago, Lucentia said:

I thought that this was covered in the Slaanesh FAQ (Seekers have an innate 2d6 run + charge) but I just looked and didn't see it.

My understanding is that At The Double turns a run roll into a 6, so no matter how many dice you might be rolling for that run you'll only be going 6" with that command ability.

Q: How does the At the Double command ability interact with an ability that allows you to roll 2D6 when a unit runs (such as the Seekers of Slaanesh Quicksilver Speed ability)? A: No dice are rolled, and the run roll is treated as being 6.

core rules designers' commentary  p4 😉

• Like 1

Hi ! I have the opportunity to buy this lot, is it a good buy for competitive play ?
- Morathi 
- 10 khinerai heartrenders
- 1 slaughters queen
- 1 medusa
- 2 hag queen
- 1 slaughter queen on blood cauldron
- 1 médusa on Bloodwrack shrine
- 1  Balewind Vortex 
- 60 witch aelves
- 30 sisters of slaughter

Thanks a lot !

Have any of you tried a Temple Nest build? I'm inclined to focus on stalkers but sisters could work too. There are certainly plenty of armies that don't care about the Temple Nest ability but it should be quite devastating against others, particularly given how long it can take to grind down large, buffed units of snakes.

12 minutes ago, Heaven_lord said:

Hi ! I have the opportunity to buy this lot, is it a good buy for competitive play ?
- Morathi 
- 10 khinerai heartrenders
- 1 slaughters queen
- 1 medusa
- 2 hag queen
- 1 slaughter queen on blood cauldron
- 1 médusa on Bloodwrack shrine
- 1  Balewind Vortex 
- 60 witch aelves
- 30 sisters of slaughter

Thanks a lot !

You can definitely make a competitive build with that.

Two questions. 

Temple Nest: it says each time the result is a one in a dice roll the attacker gets Mortal Wounds after all attacks are finished. The wording makes it sound that you also count 1's before rerolls or am I wrong? 

Morathi Khaine: when she gets wounded I then roll my armor save. Do I have an after save now? Or does it go straight to Shadow queen without her being able to negate any wound? 

Hello all; new to this thread.

I have an opportunity to get in on DoK for a decent price.  Below is what I'd be getting.  It' s not even 2K, and it's a pretty random collection.  What I'm looking for is advice on what I'd need to turn this start into a decent list.  Doesn't need to be fiercely competitive - just "not suck."  Our local meta is not especially shooty, though there is a decent amount of strong magic.  If it matters, I'm a competitive Khorne player normally (daemons), so that's the playstyle I'm used to.

TIA in for any advice.

Morathi
20 x Witch Aelves (unbuilt)
5 x Doomfire Warlocks
5 x Khinerai (unbuilt)
5 x Blood Sisters (unbuilt)
1 x Cauldron of Blood (old model)

I am finally getting around to assembling my DoK army!  Hurray!  Are people still taking the double knives on their witches?  In scrolling through this thread it looks like bucklers are more of a thing on witches.  Also I only have enough witches for one 30 lady unit and then two 10 lady units.   Any recommendations on how I equip them for most all comers games?  Of course most of my friends are very casual players and I can probably just say they have knives or bucklers depending on the day heh :)

On 12/28/2020 at 8:19 AM, Xil said:

Two questions. 

Temple Nest: it says each time the result is a one in a dice roll the attacker gets Mortal Wounds after all attacks are finished. The wording makes it sound that you also count 1's before rerolls or am I wrong? 

Morathi Khaine: when she gets wounded I then roll my armor save. Do I have an after save now? Or does it go straight to Shadow queen without her being able to negate any wound? 

1. I believe after the faq the Temple Nest ability happens after rerolls but before modifiers.

2. Morathi-Khaine still gets a normal armor save and her Fanatical Faith save. If you fail your Fanatical Faith save, then you cannot by any means prevent the wound to Morathi-Khaine from going to the Shadow Queen. The advantage of course is Morathi-Kahine is effectively unharmed and the wound goes to The Shadow Queen. Also, The 3 wounds that can be inflicted from the Iron Heart of Khaine is still in effect. Morathi-Kahine and the Shadow Queen combiined can only suffer 3 wounds per turn.

Edited by DJMoose
  • Thanks 1

4 minutes ago, DJMoose said:

1. I believe after the faq the Temple Nest ability happens after rerolls but before modifiers.

2. Morathi-Khaine still gets a normal armor save and her Fanatical Faith save. If you fail your Fanatical Faith save, then you cannot by any means prevent the wound to Morathi-Khaine from going to the Shadow Queen. The advantage of course is Morathi-Kahine is effectively unharmed and the wound goes to The Shadow Queen. Also, The 3 wounds that can be inflicted from the Iron Heart of Khaine is still in effect. Morathi-Kahine and the Shadow Queen combiined can only suffer 3 wounds per turn.

You are wrong.

You don’t alocate wounds on Morathi-Khaine so you don’t have ward save

53 minutes ago, Aliase said:

I am finally getting around to assembling my DoK army!  Hurray!  Are people still taking the double knives on their witches?  In scrolling through this thread it looks like bucklers are more of a thing on witches.  Also I only have enough witches for one 30 lady unit and then two 10 lady units.   Any recommendations on how I equip them for most all comers games?  Of course most of my friends are very casual players and I can probably just say they have knives or bucklers depending on the day heh :)

Seems to be bucklers all the way these days and a combo of Sisters and Witches. 

The bucklers make em a little more survivable and when buffed you don't seem to lose too much in the way of damage.

Take all this with a pinch of salt though. All I've done is dig through posts and some mathhammer in those. Still building my army and don't know when I'll get them to the table. If your group is pretty relaxed on wysiwyg go rule of cool.  

I prefer the look with dual blades tbh but still stuck those bucklers on the first ten.

2 minutes ago, Aliase said:

Thanks Cmid.  What do you think about the size of my units?  Is it best to have at least one 30 group

That's my line of thought. I'm aiming for at least 30/30 - Sisters/Witches.

I'm also trying to see if I can find a snake list I'm happy with but it just feels like too few bodies with Morathi kicking about.

1 minute ago, Cmidrfti said:

That's my line of thought. I'm aiming for at least 30/30 - Sisters/Witches.

I'm also trying to see if I can find a snake list I'm happy with but it just feels like too few bodies with Morathi kicking about.

Cool!  Thanks! I better stop playing around on here and get to painting my witches lol.

@Aliase it really depends on the rest of your army. If you are relying on Witch Aelves to do the majority of your damage then you may want at least one unit with double knives. If you are using them more as an anvil to support other hammers (Blood Sisters, Stalkers, or Morathi) then you're most likely going to want shields.

I've bounced back and forth for 10 model squads but mostly have come down to shields for those as I find that even with double knives they rarely do much.

• Like 1

@Aliase those are awesome! I love the work you've done on the legging to make them slightly baroque with detail and the paint scheme and colours give me a very 70-80s classic fantasy feel, which honestly really works well with the DoK - I'd love to see your take on the Underworld team for DoK in taht scheme. 

26 minutes ago, Overread said:

@Aliase those are awesome! I love the work you've done on the legging to make them slightly baroque with detail and the paint scheme and colours give me a very 70-80s classic fantasy feel, which honestly really works well with the DoK - I'd love to see your take on the Underworld team for DoK in taht scheme. 

Thanks Overread.  That helps with the motivation to paint more of them.  I feel like it is taking forever with these large unit sizes.  But I do have it down to about 1hr a model including base work.  I think next I want to buy some Khainite Shadowstalkers.  Those models look gorgeous.  Of course it also means I have to include men in my army.... :) 

10 hours ago, swarmofseals said:

Nothing strategic to post today, but I started thinking about Warhammer Online and got to musing about how incredible it would be if GW would develop a unit for DoK based on the Disciple of Khaine class from that game.

Alas if we were getting new models in the near future it would have come with the BR Morathi book or Shadow and Pain. I think the Ironscale, WHU band and shadowstalkers are meant to be our thing for awhile... I think we just had our time in the sun.

That being said, our model range is quite broad now compared to other factions with new plastics, dp I’m not moaning. 😄

Edited by Ggom

9 minutes ago, Ggom said:

Alas if we were getting new models in the near future it would have come with the BR Morathi book or Shadow and Pain. I think the Ironscale, WHU band and shadowstalkers are meant to be our thing for awhile... I think we just had our time in the sun.

That being said, our model range is quite broad now compared to other factions with new plastics, dp I’m not moaning. 😄

It'd still be cool if they made the Ironscale useful with battleline unlocking.

18 minutes ago, Mutton said:

It'd still be cool if they made the Ironscale useful with battleline unlocking.

I still can't understand why that isn't a thing. 

I was hoping for a bit of flex in the leader composition to have her compete with the Medusa for the general spot. 

She'd have been better as a ranged unit unlocking Stalkers mind you. 

• Like 2

10 hours ago, Ggom said:

Ohh for sure, I'm not suggesting that this will actually happen and certainly not any time soon. Mostly just that I wish it would! Disciples of Khaine were never in tabletop but they were such a cool class in WO:AOR.

• Like 1