AoS 2 - Stormcast Eternals Discussion

Chris Tomlin

3 hours ago, Marcvs said:

on the last point: the leak video explicitly says that you will not be able to use the "retreat" charge reaction if the charge originates from outside 9" (so, deepstrike, as it is now)

I'm torn on this. I feel that this is a stupid rule because it makes no sense -

1) If somebody drops from the sky/pops out of a portal, you're more likely to run from the surprise attack.

2) If you've been observing an enemy at long range moving about then why wouldn't you run from them when they charge, when charging at a longer distance should give more time to prepare to flee?

On the other hand without this rule, every army that relies on deep strike, like Stormcast, Misthavn and Living City, ends up being turned into an army that just pops up and shoots instead of assaulting.

I'm concerned. It was rules bloat silly stuff like this that killed 8th edition Fantasy.

If the limit to buffs and penalties is true then that's already possibly going to signal a move to fewer heroes and bigger units. Big $£€ units killed 8th and getting a full army in AoS is already more expensive.

I dunno, if these rumours are true, it seems like every army is going to need a new battletome ASAP.

Edited by SentinelGuy
Added a word

1 hour ago, PJetski said:

Have you guys noticed that Gardus is about 10% smaller than regular Stormcast?

You can see it here in the comparison between his shoulderpad and a paladin shoulderpad.

I wonder if this is a one-off event or if they're modifying the scale of future SCE releases

can't say I'd be unhappy if the shoulderpads were reduced in size... though maybe this is because paladins have the largest pads? we'd need a comparison to another Celestant

36 minutes ago, xking said:

I want to ask the dev team way they did this.

Someone needs to tweet that video to the rules devs

They want to drink stormcast players tears, don't let them do it!😂

Joke(?) aside, at the point where we are it can only get better, probably several units will still be meh but not all of them, we are at the end of one cycle and the new one start with us.

Edited by baiardo

1 hour ago, Erdemo86 said:

I hope that the 4+ save Gardus is not a hint on future battletome... maybe all stormcast heroes will get 4+ save? I hope not.. 

It depends. It certainly isn't a good sign given the way the rules work now, but there could be a whole other layer to SCE 3.0 rules that we aren't seeing which compensate for this. While they don't always get it right, GW is clearly trying to get the armies to feel like they emulate the lore. We're miles away from that now, so we need to have something, but simply ratcheting up our saves isn't actually the answer, as it's harder and harder to balance the game against better base saves.

A more nuanced approach that emulates the god-wrought armor of the SCE while still making them both fun to play with and against would be tricky to pull off, but GW has had 3 years to come up with something.

I'm cautiously hopeful that our patience will be rewarded with something good, but we'll just have to wait and see. For now, there's simply too many unknowns.

13 hours ago, OkayestDM said:

It depends. It certainly isn't a good sign given the way the rules work now, but there could be a whole other layer to SCE 3.0 rules that we aren't seeing which compensate for this. While they don't always get it right, GW is clearly trying to get the armies to feel like they emulate the lore. We're miles away from that now, so we need to have something, but simply ratcheting up our saves isn't actually the answer, as it's harder and harder to balance the game against better base saves.

A more nuanced approach that emulates the god-wrought armor of the SCE while still making them both fun to play with and against would be tricky to pull off, but GW has had 3 years to come up with something.

I'm cautiously hopeful that our patience will be rewarded with something good, but we'll just have to wait and see. For now, there's simply too many unknowns.

if a 4+ is going to "emulate the lore" of immortal supersoldiers what does that mean for other factions' saves? someone made a point that you can get Freeguild Guard up to a 4+ save, which means in melee Gardus is on the same defensive level... is this a sign proving the return of toughness?

Maybe they get a new allegiance that gives staunch defender xD but I’m thinking about selling my stormcast too and starting with Soulblight. I’m only waiting Soulblight full release. If till then nothing on sce changes, they will be gone...

Edited by Erdemo86
  • Like 1

48 minutes ago, Erdemo86 said:

Maybe they get a new allegiance that gives staunch defender xD but I’m thinking about selling my stormcast too and starting with Soulblight. I’m only waiting Soulblight full release. If till then nothing on sce changes, they will be gone...

well Soulblight are releasing before 3.0 which is when we'd see any changes

if you go ahead anyway I'd be glad to peek at what you're selling

2 hours ago, CommissarRotke said:

if a 4+ is going to "emulate the lore" of immortal supersoldiers what does that mean for other factions' saves? someone made a point that you can get Freeguild Guard up to a 4+ save, which means in melee Gardus is on the same defensive level... is this a sign proving the return of toughness?

For my part, I'm not really a fan of introducing Toughness into the game, but this is purely a conceptual disinterest as I've never actually played a game that uses it and have no experience with it.

Rather, my hope would be that there will be a second set of rules or benefits that build upon the SCE 4+ save to make it better in some way. An after-save, rerolls, ignoring or reducing rend, damage reduction; something like that.

1 hour ago, Erdemo86 said:

Maybe they get a new allegiance that gives staunch defender

It's entirely possible that SCE could get a faction-wide ability or command ability that allows you to buff their save from 4+ to 3+. There's lots of ways they could go about it. It's just a question of if and what they choose to do.

Edited by OkayestDM
  • Like 1