AoS 2 - Stormcast Eternals Discussion

Chris Tomlin

On 8/31/2018 at 11:49 PM, Darkrich said:

Honestly no. I like the idea of stormcaller. But in practice, it's hard to cast and may not do anything. Chain lightning sounds cool, but is hard to cast and only does a couple wounds in the end unless his whole army is there. I wish there were more utility spells. The fact that his arcane bolt is good and he can heal gives him flexibility, but he doesn't buff anybody. I may just take the first spell, so if he is far away, at least he can participate. The arcanum hasn't impressed me too much. His melee is ok. His defense is ok. His spell casting is ok. He has to be the general for sequitor goodness. I may end up cutting him for an incantor.

21 hours ago, The World Tree said:

The spells we have are really bad, I think (The Evocators' lore is decent though). Stormcaller has proven quite nice for me, especially in that first turn where most of your spells won't be in range and won't have value for the first round. If you've got endless spells they tend to supersede Stormcaller but that's ok. It is a pot luck but can be very nasty.

I too have found our main Lore of magic underwhelming however I had a bit of success today I'd like to share with you.  I have gotten use out of Lightning Blast, Thundershock, Azyrite Halo, Celestial Blades and Speed of Lightning. In my view these are the viable/efficient spells you can take you can take with our allegiance and pair well with certain units. For instance the two mentioned from Invigoration always end up on my Evocators for obvious reasons. My Knight Incantors and Lord Arcanums usually get the ones I mentioned from Lore of the Storm, Azyrite Halo has almost too small of a range that I wouldn't take it but if you plan on the unit tagging along with the from line its worth it. Similarly the Thundershock is close range but I had a lot of success with it today given the following set up.

Lord Arcanum on Gryph Charger

-Thundershock

-Single-minded Fury

-Doppelgangers Cloak (Ulgu)

This was my first time using a LAoGC but his ability to jump around the board and be in position for the next turn is great utility and Thundershocking 3 units is huge on top of him basically being impassable scenery for the combat phase. That being said Thundershock can be a fickle spell like the rest of the lore seems to be. For my money(points) the LAoGC is the best version to take if you want Sequitor battleline because of his healing spell.

Edited by Black Blade

@Thostos Ive not run one yet though I had considered it. Sounds like an interesting combination however, also pleased to hear someone runs a Vanguard Chamber army. If you go through with it please get back in here and tell us how he performed as well as about the model, the thing that has stopped me thus far is the price tag for a model I estimated to be more the size of the Celestant Prime rather than a greater demon.

• Like 2

Just a quick lore question for the SCE crowd.

Are all of the Stormcasts former 'humans' ?   Are there any elf Stormcasts, or Duardin Stormcasts?  I ask because Sigmar was collecting the most heroic souls, and by the time that was happening many of the other race's gods were dead, shattered, in hiding, etc.  I can't see why the head of the Order Pantheon wouldn't whisk away a particularly brave elf or dwarf.

Obviously they get reforged into Stormcasts either way, but seeing as we have seen aelves 'remade' into gorgon snake ladies, it doesn't seem like much of a stretch to assume Sigmar can shape even a stunty into a Stormcast.

So I have a question and I'm sure it's probably come up in some form or another before. 

I was originally sold into Age of Sigmar when I saw the Stormcast Eternals. I loved the weapons and the armor and the helmets and everything about them. It was a great poster faction to relaunch Fantasy around which I had always had a minor interest in when compared to 40k, which was marginally better. So I went and got the starter set and pretty much fell in love with good ole' Khorne instead, but I still like my Eternals and would like to build them up since there's a lot of value with the army since they're involved in most of the releases. 

Anyways, backstory aside, my question is: In just primarily building around Soul Wars, Blightwar, SC boxes and what handful I have now, are there viable lists to be made with Stormcast using those models? I would be playing for fun, so I guess the answer is yes, but I might just take them to the shop in the future and I'd like to not get steam rolled. I have a handful of other models (both winged Knights, the Knight Heraldor, Lord-Castellant) and would also want to eventually get some Protectors (I love polearms) and Javelin Prosecutors (Love, love, love Polearms) as well as maybe some Fulminators (POLEARMS) but would otherwise build my forces using those boxed sets and SC boxes. 

I'm mostly looking for ideas to get my started down the road as I can come to better understand the SCE golden boys and girls as I haven't really paid them much attention with my focus being on the two Gods of War lately in Khorne and Khaine. 

tl;dr - I want to make a value SCE army using mostly boxed set Stormcast and am looking for ideas for lists to help get me started. 

Edited by Aspirant Snaeper

9 minutes ago, Aspirant Snaeper said:

So I have a question and I'm sure it's probably come up in some form or another before. 

I was originally sold into Age of Sigmar when I saw the Stormcast Eternals. I loved the weapons and the armor and the helmets and everything about them. It was a great poster faction to relaunch Fantasy around which I had always had a minor interest in when compared to 40k, which was marginally better. So I went and got the starter set and pretty much fell in love with good ole' Khorne instead, but I still like my Eternals and would like to build them up since there's a lot of value with the army since they're involved in most of the releases. 

Anyways, backstory aside, my question is: In just primarily building around Soul Wars, Blightwar, SC boxes and what handful I have now, are there viable lists to be made with Stormcast using those models? I would be playing for fun, so I guess the answer is yes, but I might just take them to the shop in the future and I'd like to not get steam rolled. I have a handful of other models (both winged Knights, the Knight Heraldor, Lord-Castellant) and would also want to eventually get some Protectors (I love pole arms) and Javelin Prosecutors (Love, love, love Pole arms) as well as maybe some Fulminators (POLEARMS) but would otherwise build my forces using those boxed sets and SC boxes. 

I'm mostly looking for ideas to get my started down the road as I can come to better understand the SCE golden boys and girls as I haven't really paid them much attention with my focus being on the two Gods of War lately in Khorne and Khaine. 

tl;dr - I want to make a value SCE army using mostly boxed set Stormcast and am looking for ideas for lists to help get me started. 

It's all up to you, everything that is sacrosankt are solid choices, from blightwar there is not very much you can grab (longstrike raptors) and everything else is just weaker then new chamber, but can perform decent. 

Three of SCE main weaknesses are Bravery, Speed and Damage so you will need to focus on those, as well as having enough chaff and roadblocks to protect your heavy hitters (since you don't have a luxury of heavy-hitting roadblock that is 20 sequitors) and score objectives

As for heroes Incantor and Castellant should probably be your go-to choices, Azyros now can buff melee, while Heraldor's buff is really good if opponent is trying to tie you down 

Maybe it's just my bad rolls, but I see a tendency to get heavy losses from battleshock. That is something to remeber about.

• Like 1

24 minutes ago, Aspirant Snaeper said:

nderstand the SCE golden boys and girls as I haven't really paid them much attention with my focus being on the two Gods of War lately in Khorne and Khaine. 

For a 1000 points list this is something I would run:

Allegiance: Stormcast Eternals

Leaders
Knight-Incantor (140)
- General
- Trait: Staunch Defender 
Lord-Castellant (100)
Lord-Relictor (100)
- Prayer: Translocation

Battleline
10 x Liberators (200)
- Warhammer & Shield
- 2x Grandhammers
5 x Judicators (160)
- Skybolt Bows
- 1x Shockbolt Bows

Units
5 x Protectors (200)
- 2x Starsoul Maces
3 x Prosecutors with Stormcall Javelins (100)
- 1x Stormsurge Tridents

Total: 1000 / 1000
Extra Command Points: 0
Allies: 0 / 200
Wounds: 67

Previosly (1st ed)  it was Lord Celestant, retributors and gryph hound instead of protectors and incantor, but since there is no more 5+ MW on paladins you can go with magic instead (also POLEARMS)

• Like 1

Here's what I'm looking at as my "tournament list".  I already have it all, all of it is assembled, and all but 10 Seqs are painted.  I tested this once, but with 2 x 3 Castigators instead of the Lordinator.  Turns out, Castigators are kind of chumps.  They did more effective work with their gun butts than their crossbows.  I have 6 more Castigators on my desk, but I ain't gonna paint 'em any time soon lol.  Might try to convert them to crossbow-Judicators or something (but probably not, I care about the helmets and icons and stuff)

There isn't really a lot of flexibility in there - I'd have to drop the Celestant-Prime to add a Hailstorm Battery, and I like the C-P too much.

Since it isn't Hammers of Sigmar, the Scions reinforcements will be shooty units and not fighty ones.

Solid mid-table list, for a solid mid-table guy.  I shouldn't lose to any noobs and chumps, but I also won't really beat any champs with it either.

Spoiler

- Stormhost: Anvils of the Heldenhammer
Mortal Realm: Shyish
Lord-Arcanum on Gryph-Charger (240)
- General
- Trait: Deathly Aura
- Artefact: Soulthief
- Spell: Azyrite Halo
- Mount Trait: Wind Runner
Celestant-Prime (340)
Knight-Incantor (140)
- Spell: Lighntning Blast
Lord-Ordinator (140)
20 x Sequitors (400)
- Stormsmite Mauls and Soulshields
- 9x Stormsmite Greatmaces
5 x Judicators (160)
- Skybolt Bows
- 1x Shockbolt Bows
5 x Judicators (160)
- Skybolt Bows
- 1x Shockbolt Bows
5 x Evocators (200)
- Lore of Invigoration: Celestial Blades
Celestar Ballista (100)
Celestar Ballista (100)

Total: 1980 / 2000
Extra Command Points: 0
Allies: 0 / 400
Wounds: 114

17 hours ago, XReN said:

For a 1000 points list this is something I would run:

Leaders
Knight-Incantor (140)
- General
- Trait: Staunch Defender 
Lord-Castellant (100)
Lord-Relictor (100)
- Prayer: Translocation

Battleline
10 x Liberators (200)
- Warhammer & Shield
- 2x Grandhammers
5 x Judicators (160)
- Skybolt Bows
- 1x Shockbolt Bows

Units
5 x Protectors (200)
- 2x Starsoul Maces
3 x Prosecutors with Stormcall Javelins (100)
- 1x Stormsurge Tridents

Total: 1000 / 1000
Extra Command Points: 0
Allies: 0 / 200
Wounds: 67

Previosly (1st ed)  it was Lord Celestant, retributors and gryph hound instead of protectors and incantor, but since there is no more 5+ MW on paladins you can go with magic instead (also POLEARMS)

Is there a specific reason you prefer Protectors over Evocators? Otherwise this is a great list I will take my next 1k game.

3 hours ago, amysrevenge said:

Here's what I'm looking at as my "tournament list".  I already have it all, all of it is assembled, and all but 10 Seqs are painted.  I tested this once, but with 2 x 3 Castigators instead of the Lordinator.  Turns out, Castigators are kind of chumps.  They did more effective work with their gun butts than their crossbows.  I have 6 more Castigators on my desk, but I ain't gonna paint 'em any time soon lol.  Might try to convert them to crossbow-Judicators or something (but probably not, I care about the helmets and icons and stuff)

There isn't really a lot of flexibility in there - I'd have to drop the Celestant-Prime to add a Hailstorm Battery, and I like the C-P too much.

Since it isn't Hammers of Sigmar, the Scions reinforcements will be shooty units and not fighty ones.

Solid mid-table list, for a solid mid-table guy.  I shouldn't lose to any noobs and chumps, but I also won't really beat any champs with it either.

Hide contents

- Stormhost: Anvils of the Heldenhammer
Mortal Realm: Shyish
Lord-Arcanum on Gryph-Charger (240)
- General
- Trait: Deathly Aura
- Artefact: Soulthief
- Spell: Azyrite Halo
- Mount Trait: Wind Runner
Celestant-Prime (340)
Knight-Incantor (140)
- Spell: Lighntning Blast
Lord-Ordinator (140)
20 x Sequitors (400)
- Stormsmite Mauls and Soulshields
- 9x Stormsmite Greatmaces
5 x Judicators (160)
- Skybolt Bows
- 1x Shockbolt Bows
5 x Judicators (160)
- Skybolt Bows
- 1x Shockbolt Bows
5 x Evocators (200)
- Lore of Invigoration: Celestial Blades
Celestar Ballista (100)
Celestar Ballista (100)

Total: 1980 / 2000
Extra Command Points: 0
Allies: 0 / 400
Wounds: 114

Castigators are brilliant but in 3s your only really parking on objectives or zoning out deepstrikes. They really need to be in units of 6+ to have any damage impact. 

2 hours ago, Black Blade said:

Is there a specific reason you prefer Protectors over Evocators? Otherwise this is a great list I will take my next 1k game.

Nope, just the fact that Aspirant wanted polearms

UPD: maybe some more shooting protection from protectors can be nice

Edited by XReN

Castigators are just badly designed. They do nothing (except vs 2. factions) that doesn't already exist. They only exist because someone (a weirdo) thought crossbows shooting vases would be cool.

The thing is, they aren't bad (like Prosectors), there just isn't any point to them.

Edited by The World Tree
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, Black Blade said:

Hey guys I just picked up my first box of Sequitors, strangely it doesnt look like I can build a Prime with a Greatmace based on the instructions. Has anyone else encountered this? If so what did you do about it?

The arms are interchangeable - use a Prime body and the greatmace arms, and it works fine. Pose looks better on the female Prime, imo.

• Thanks 1

13 minutes ago, AWFall said:

The arms are interchangeable - use a Prime body and the greatmace arms, and it works fine. Pose looks better on the female Prime, imo.

Ah good to know, I like the look of the ghostbuster one on the cover of the box too, shame it's a gimmick to build her that way. One other thing is some of the swords look special with a lightening strike down the center, were those supposed to be another special weapon option at some point or what?

1 hour ago, Black Blade said:

Ah good to know, I like the look of the ghostbuster one on the cover of the box too, shame it's a gimmick to build her that way. One other thing is some of the swords look special with a lightening strike down the center, were those supposed to be another special weapon option at some point or what?

They are the weapons of the prime if you build him/her with swords :) 

very cool looking 

• Thanks 1

14 hours ago, The World Tree said:

Castigators are just badly designed. They do nothing (except vs 2. factions) that doesn't already exist. They only exist because someone (a weirdo) thought crossbows shooting vases would be cool.

The thing is, they aren't bad (like Prosectors), there just isn't any point to them.

I don't understand why they didn't do something like "If you target a unit with 10+ models then each hit causes d3 hits instead". Castigators could have been a very cool anti-horde unit, which would fit with the idea that they shoot the fantasy equivalent of grenades.

Or at least make them Battleline if an Arcanum is your general.

Im so disappointed in the new battletome.

• Like 3

39 minutes ago, PJetski said:

I don't understand why they didn't do something like "If you target a unit with 10+ models then each hit causes d3 hits instead". Castigators could have been a very cool anti-horde unit, which would fit with the idea that they shoot the fantasy equivalent of grenades.

Or at least make them Battleline if an Arcanum is your general.

Im so disappointed in the new battletome.

better yet, why not both.

• Like 1

17 hours ago, Freejack02 said:

At what exactly? They are worse than our other shooting options and have no specialty. 

2 extra wounds over judicators @160 points

double the amount of melee attacks 

reroll ones or rend 2 (or always rend 2 with Azyros buff)

18” range has never been an issue if you deploy well.

• Like 1