AoS 2 - Stormcast Eternals Discussion

Chris Tomlin

1 hour ago, GeneralZero said:

when you put a bataillon in reserve (at set up in game's beginning, scion?), does it count as 1 unit (like the drop) or number of unit in the bataillon?

I doubt It counts as 1 unit. The rule talks about number if units on the table and in reserve. Not about how many drops It took to deploy them.

16 hours ago, Erdemo86 said:

Can someone do me a favor please and do the Math of Dracolines vs. Foot Evocators on charge?

want to know if the 100 points are worth it.

Foot evocators are better as far i recall. About 30% better I think, but I will calculate them again later on and get back to you.

3 hours ago, GeneralZero said:

Why are you speaking about changing points whereas we just have the GH2018 and have to wait 1 full year for the next GH2019? We have to deal with those points. Not perfect, but still enjoyable9_9

Nothing wrong with talking about fan rules. I did it all the time back in WFB. I once rewrote the entire TK and Beastmen book!

• Like 1

16 hours ago, Erdemo86 said:

Can someone do me a favor please and do the Math of Dracolines vs. Foot Evocators on charge?

want to know if the 100 points are worth it.

Dracolines about 2.9 damage per 100 points and on foot about 6 damage per 100 points. Quite underwhelming.

Edited by Kugane

I think we need to take into account the charge bonus of the dracoline, as well as all the possible buffs they can have. A lord arcanum on dracoline with the good mount trait give them 4 attacks 2+/3+/-1/D3 in charge for example

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, ledha said:

I think we need to take into account the charge bonus of the dracoline, as well as all the possible buffs they can have. A lord arcanum on dracoline with the good mount trait give them 4 attacks 2+/3+/-1/D3 in charge for example

I think the trade off is too much and even with the extra attack on monstrous claws you are looking at a 0.45 damage increase per 100p and a "wasted" command point. I think the role these dracoline units can fulfil is being deployed on the field instead of scions, while on foot evocators can be deepstriked. They are fast and can get where they need to be quickly. There are cheaper units to fulfil that role though. Like a ballista on field + unit of evocators. 

19 minutes ago, Erdemo86 said:

Ok thank you. Its what i thought. So Normal Evos for me.

Same for me! I wish it were otherwise. Absolutely love the models.

Edited by Kugane

2 minutes ago, Kugane said:

I think the trade off is too much and even with the extra attack on monstrous claws you are looking at a 0.45 damage increase per 100p and a "wasted" command point. I think the role these dracoline units can fulfil is being deployed on the field instead of scions, while on foot evocators can be deepstriked. They are fast and can get where they need to be quickly. There are cheaper units to fulfil that role though. Like a ballista on field + unit of evocators. 

Same for me! I wish it were otherwise. Absolutely love the models.

Did you take into account the extra killed model if Battleshock is failed? I assume you didn't, because it's not usually included into calculations.

Raw damage, Evos on foot win. But Evos on Dracoline can start on the table, charge turn one (with a run+charge and run buff) reliably and with an Empower thrown on themselves. To do the same, Evocators need Scions, Gavriel "I'm on every single list" Sureheart (+ Hammers tax) and they won't have any buff on them. So I think a fair comparison would have Evos on Dracolines rerolling wounds while Evos on foot don't. It's a self-contained buff, it doesn't get the "but more points!" excuse :D

On a slightly different note, they Will be 45€ for 3. Is it me or it feels like a steal?(in the good sense!)

I crunched the numbers on Evocators vs Dracolines. I assumed Grandstaves since they perform better on 4+ saves. You can see that without buffs the evocators on foot are almost twice as efficient as the Dracoline versions. However, with access to buffs that only they can get  (charge damage bonus, pride leader, lord arcanum command ability) Dracolines become more cost effective.

There are a lot of other factors to consider, such as:
Spells cast per point is better on Evocators
Models per point is better on Evocators
Wounds per point is better on Evocators
Unbinds per point is better on Evocators
Cycle of the Storm is better on Dracolines
Healing is better on Dracolines
Dracolines have a Bravery debuff
Dracolines can reroll charges
Dracolines have much higher movement

There's a few other scenarios I want to test, like taking Vandus Hammerhand

evocator vs dracoline.png

• Like 2

7 minutes ago, PJetski said:

I crunched the numbers on Evocators vs Dracolines. I assumed Grandstaves since they perform better on 4+ saves. You can see that without buffs the evocators on foot are almost twice as efficient as the Dracoline versions. However, with access to buffs that only they can get  (charge damage bonus, pride leader, lord arcanum command ability) Dracolines become more cost effective.

There are a lot of other factors to consider, such as:
Spells cast per point is better on Evocators
Models per point is better on Evocators
Wounds per point is better on Evocators
Unbinds per point is better on Evocators
Cycle of the Storm is better on Dracolines
Healing is better on Dracolines
Dracolines have a Bravery debuff
Dracolines can reroll charges
Dracolines have much higher movement

There's a few other scenarios I want to test, like taking Vandus Hammerhand

evocator vs dracoline.png

Why not Charge+reroll wounds option on Dracolines? It's a situation which can easily happen in a turn one charge (VS Evocators on foot where it's very unlikely outside Translocation).

Edited by DanielFM

1 minute ago, DanielFM said:

Why not Charge+reroll wounds option on Dracolines? It's a situation which can easily happen in a turn one charge (VS Evocators on foot where it's very unlikely outside Translocation).

I forgot about Empower.

It has a much bigger impact on Dracolines than it does on Evocators, since a bigger part of the Evocators damage comes from the lightning blast after attacking.

evocator2.png

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, DanielFM said:

Did you take into account the extra killed model if Battleshock is failed? I assume you didn't, because it's not usually included into calculations.

Raw damage, Evos on foot win. But Evos on Dracoline can start on the table, charge turn one (with a run+charge and run buff) reliably and with an Empower thrown on themselves. To do the same, Evocators need Scions, Gavriel "I'm on every single list" Sureheart (+ Hammers tax) and they won't have any buff on them. So I think a fair comparison would have Evos on Dracolines rerolling wounds while Evos on foot don't. It's a self-contained buff, it doesn't get the "but more points!" excuse :D

On a slightly different note, they Will be 45€ for 3. Is it me or it feels like a steal?(in the good sense!)

The extra lost model is all nice and fun, but you are looking at 1 model or so, which is 1 to 2 wounds. Which if included into the calculation is only anothet 0.33 to 0.66 damage, still underwhelming in my opinion. Even if so, regular evocators kill more, so the opponent would lose more models because of that as well, so that argumentation is flawed at best.

Also I did mention they can start on the table and get where they need to be quickly.

3 minutes ago, PJetski said:

I forgot about Empower.

It has a much bigger impact on Dracolines than it does on Evocators, since a bigger part of the Evocators damage comes from the lightning blast after attacking.

evocator2.png

Just for completeness sake (if I didn't mess up) a charging, empowered Evolines unit does 12,33 PPW. With no external buffs, they are really close to Evocators (which don't get Empower the turn they arrive).

So used properly (on the table using their mobility, turn 1 charges) and with some support, Evolines can perform better than Evocators. 

Evos on the sky, Dracolines on the ground. Nice and varied (better than Evocators on foot spam again and again), and you get the shiny Cleansing Phalanx.

7 minutes ago, Kugane said:

The extra lost model is all nice and fun, but you are looking at 1 model or so, which is 1 to 2 wounds. Which if included into the calculation is only anothet 0.33 to 0.66 damage, still underwhelming in my opinion. Even if so, regular evocators kill more, so the opponent would lose more models because of that as well, so that argumentation is flawed at best.

Also I did mention they can start on the table and get where they need to be quickly.

It's situational. Making a Varanguard flee is great, but attacking a group of freeguild immune to battleshock makes it worthless.

Bravery debuffs get better the more you have, since they first help tests fail and then also increase the amount of models fleeing. It's worth considering.

• Like 2

9 minutes ago, DanielFM said:

Just for completeness sake (if I didn't mess up) a charging, empowered Evolines unit does 12,33 PPW. With no external buffs, they are really close to Evocators (which don't get Empower the turn they arrive).

So used properly (on the table using their mobility, turn 1 charges) and with some support, Evolines can perform better than Evocators. 

Evos on the sky, Dracolines on the ground. Nice and varied (better than Evocators on foot spam again and again), and you get the shiny Cleansing Phalanx.

It's also worth considering Dracoline deep strike, since they can reroll charges. They lose out on Empowerin that scenario, though.

It seems like you need to build a list around Dracolines, while Evocators can slot into just about any army.

Edited by PJetski

4 minutes ago, PJetski said:

It's situational. Making a Varanguard flee is great, but attacking a group of freeguild immune to battleshock makes it worthless.

Bravery debuffs get better the more you have, since they first help tests fail and then also increase the amount of models fleeing. It's worth considering.

Yeah, I messed up by wording it as "another model flee". -1 Bravery is a lot better. Against multiwound models (more and more these days) you need several wounds to get a -1 bravery. While the ability gives you that straight. 

I wouldn't throw Evolines against infantry blobs, anyway :D

1 minute ago, PJetski said:

It's also worth considering Dracoline deep strike, since they can reroll charges. They lose out on Empowerin that scenario, though.

That makes them kind of versatile VS Evocators, doesn't it? 

On the ground for buffs and more power, or from Scions with a viable charge without external help. Evocators can do neither.

Working on a 2k list for a tournament next month, currently thinking:

Astreia Solbright

• -General
  • -Keen Clawed

Gavriel Sureheart

Drakesworn Templar

• -God-forge blade
  • -Arc Hammer
  • -Keen Clawed

Sequitors x5

• - Prime, Greatmace
  • -Greatmace x2
  • -Maul x2

Sequitors x5

• - Prime, Greatmace
  • -Greatmace x2
  • -Maul x2

Sequitors x5

• - Prime, Greatmace
  • -Greatmace x2
  • -Maul x2

Celestar Ballista

Celestar Ballista

Evocators x15

• - Prime
  • -Tempest Blade and Stormstave x8
  • -Grandstave x7

1940/2000

1 command point

117 wounds

Basic strategy is the Sequitors form a battleline with the Astreia providing support and the Drake peppering mortal wounds and sitting back for a counter-charge into anything heavy. Gavriel and the Evocators sit in reserve ready to alpha-strike. Yes they won't get to use empower the turn they come down but the sheer strength they'll deploy should be able to tear through a huge chunk of the opposing army the turn they arrive. The ballista will also sit in reserve to be deployed in a good place to offer a ranged threat.

3 minutes ago, The Wanderer said:

Working on a 2k list for a tournament next month, currently thinking:

Astreia Solbright

• -General
  • -Keen Clawed

Drakesworn Templar

• -God-forge blade
  • -Arc Hammer
  • -Keen Clawed

Your list can't take two mount traits

Edited by PJetski

I feel that this list lack of something. You have only 2 heavy hitters, one of them super expensive yet not really great at mobility.

For me, evo are best  at units of 5 or 10 tops.

PS: I'm not sure if grandstave are optimal, especialy with no rend. But I understand that in a unit of 15 the 2" reach may be important

Edited by GeneralZero
  • Like 1