AoS 2 - Stormcast Eternals Discussion

Chris Tomlin

Played my first game of 3.0 today vs my wife's NH.  Really enjoyed it, new changes seemed to work really well. Tried out a few things:

Stardrake with 5+ ward and a castellant buff was unkillable for a fairly low rend army and although the combat profile still feels lacklustre flying the drake out into the middle of the opposition and just biting out key models (side not ate a Knight of shrouds) and putting out mortal wounds while being a genuine decision point felt nice. 

I ran 3 ballistas and a lordinator in a grand battery to mixed results, they struggled against an unrendable opponent even with some good rolls but held space in the center of the board preventing some key charges at time for fear of 2 lots of shooting. 

Tried the vortex but it got dispelled the following turn everytime, endless spells are going to be strong and our current lack of bonuses for dispelling could really hurt us vs strong magic teams. 

• Thanks 3

20 minutes ago, PJetski said:

Are you guys keeping the same colour scheme or switching it up with the new release?

I'm keeping the same color scheme, I've added more layers of white since taking this picture, but this is my color scheme.

PXL_20210601_230255085.jpg

Edited by TheGrayKing
Added picture
  • Like 2

hello fellow Eternals, looking for some clarification on this warscroll. I am reading the rule as allowing the banner to revive multiple models even on a D3.

"can return a number of slain models to that unit that have a combined Wounds characteristic of D3 or less" to me sounds like you can roll a 2 and return TWO Vindictors with 1 wound each, and a 1 means you can return one vindictor at 1 wound.

the goonhammer review/my friend are reading it as if you roll a 1 you are completely SOL because you need at least a 2 to return one vindictor at full wounds :(

20210608_172508-1024x768.jpg

1 hour ago, CommissarRotke said:

can return a number of slain models to that unit that have a combined Wounds characteristic of D3 or less" to me sounds like you can roll a 2 and return TWO Vindictors with 1 wound each, and a 1 means you can return one vindictor at 1 wound.

Because the ability looks at the combined Wound Characteristic of the chosen unit rolling a 1 fails to bring back any models, a 2 will bring back one model with full Wounds and a 3 will bring back one model with full Wounds and the last point goes away.  The math changes when you select a unit to be affected multiple times. As for bringing back models with partial health, I'm pretty sure that's not allowed because returning slain models is an all or nothing ability as far as I know, but we'll get more clarity on reviving effects when the 3.0 rulebook fully leaks.

15 hours ago, PJetski said:

Anvils of the Heldenhammer

Warlord Battalion
450 Drakesworn Templar
-General, Command Trait: Deathly Aura
-Artefact: Arcane Tome
-Spell: Azyrite Halo
110 Azyros (Artefact: Soulthief)
120 Veritant (Prayer: Translocation)
450 15x Judicator

Vanguard Battalion
130 Castellant
95 5x Liberator
95 5x Liberator

Vanguard Battalion
130 Incantor (Spell: Celestial Blades)
410 4x Desolator

1990/2000

Will you miss Aetherwings? They always felt like the MVP in the old Anvilstrike lists. 

6 minutes ago, feadair said:

Will you miss Aetherwings? They always felt like the MVP in the old Anvilstrike lists. 

Yes but I don't know what to cut

Without Raptors nearby to move the Aetherwings they are just a cheap set of bodies. Nice to have, but not crucial

Quick questions for the masses,

Can you run multiple/duplicates of the same battalion? And benefit from the battalion abilities from each one? For example could I run two Warlord battalions if I had 6 leaders (all under 10 wounds) and at least two troops? Would I receive two extra enhancements?

Edited by Champasaur

8 hours ago, PJetski said:

Yes but I don't know what to cut

Without Raptors nearby to move the Aetherwings they are just a cheap set of bodies. Nice to have, but not crucial

I'm definitely struggling to try and keep them in. Removing charges is insanely powerful and felt like a cornerstone of old Anvils, but we also don't know if that ability will make the new book (or Anvils CA for that matter). 

In the meantime I'm running two Hurricane Raptor units with Aetherwings for more denial focus with 15 Judis. 

2 hours ago, Champasaur said:

Quick questions for the masses,

Can you run multiple/duplicates of the same battalion? And benefit from the battalion abilities from each one? For example could I run two Warlord battalions if I had 6 leaders (all under 10 wounds) and at least two troops? Would I receive two extra enhancements?

Yes to all. 

Since it's slowed down I wanted to ask a question that got ignored earlier. Would it be acceptable having more than 1 color scheme on the table as long as they're based the same? I've got old color schemes I tried out that look good, but I now am switching to an easier scheme. Do I need to strip them and redo them or would using a stormhost's rules still be fine?

Are there examples of stormhosts mixing for battles or even a campaign? I remember them being in the same battle, but working more as separate entities. 

Thanks for any help, For Sigmar!

5 minutes ago, TheArborealWalrus said:

Since it's slowed down I wanted to ask a question that got ignored earlier. Would it be acceptable having more than 1 color scheme on the table as long as they're based the same? I've got old color schemes I tried out that look good, but I now am switching to an easier scheme. Do I need to strip them and redo them or would using a stormhost's rules still be fine?

Are there examples of stormhosts mixing for battles or even a campaign? I remember them being in the same battle, but working more as separate entities. 

For tournaments I am not sure. For a casual game depends on the opponent. I honestly would not care if you had five different color schemes for your Stormcasts.

Edited by frenk_castle
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

11 minutes ago, TheArborealWalrus said:

I wonder if the next tome is going to force you to pick a subfaction in a way that you won’t even have a choice about playing one of the stormhosts. Currently you don’t have to pick one, and so it would be both lore and rules matching.

You could also come up with a lore for your army that a “crusade” if various SCE are all working together, and have been fighting so long that they have learned to fight according to a single host.

I seem to recall a rule that I read about 40K once that said if you were playing -as an example- green space marines with dark angels markings and dark angels characters, etc- but using blood angels rules for them, it was effectively the same as proxies, and thus not allowed at tournaments. So you might have more of an issue if your army was painting specifically to look like a specific , well-known host, but used different host rules… but you’re doing the complete opposite of that so…

Anyway as others have said I have a difficult time seeing anyone having an issue with it, and I personally wouldn’t care as long as you told me before the game.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, mystycalchemy said:

Thoughts on this list? Definitely not a competitive list, just something i've been bouncing around. Also, y'all got any tips for fighting against mortis praetorians with katakros?

Screenshot_20210620-124948_Sheets.jpg

Why Severith? For the same price you can nearly get 3 Knight-Venators, which trade the silly dancing around for the ability to spread out and use any in-faction synergies 

4 hours ago, Requizen said:

Why Severith? For the same price you can nearly get 3 Knight-Venators, which trade the silly dancing around for the ability to spread out and use any in-faction synergies 

Thats a fair assessment, mostly cause i like the model but yeah, very valid point. As i said, not the most competitive list, just something ive been considering :)

14 hours ago, Mark Williams said:

I wonder if the next tome is going to force you to pick a subfaction in a way that you won’t even have a choice about playing one of the stormhosts. Currently you don’t have to pick one, and so it would be both lore and rules matching.

You could also come up with a lore for your army that a “crusade” if various SCE are all working together, and have been fighting so long that they have learned to fight according to a single host.

I seem to recall a rule that I read about 40K once that said if you were playing -as an example- green space marines with dark angels markings and dark angels characters, etc- but using blood angels rules for them, it was effectively the same as proxies, and thus not allowed at tournaments. So you might have more of an issue if your army was painting specifically to look like a specific , well-known host, but used different host rules… but you’re doing the complete opposite of that so…

Anyway as others have said I have a difficult time seeing anyone having an issue with it, and I personally wouldn’t care as long as you told me before the game.

I've painted all my stormcasts somewhat differently and actually encourage people to do so, e.g my evocators are primarily gold armour, while sequitors are primarily black armour. 

It's actually a good thing as otherwise they all look so samey, it's hard for my opponents to figure out which is which!

Kinda sad for the evocators though as they tend to be the pincushions of choice.

• Like 1

I've painted all my oldcast using the same scheme with minor variations. Warrior/Extremis/Vanguard are all the same scheme (Black armor, red cloth, bright gold trim, white accent) with brown bases but my Sacrosanct chamber uses slightly different gold and black-rimmed precast resin bases.

I'm going to be painting the newcast with silver armor, black accent, and red cloth. I think it will be distinct from my previous scheme but it's not a complete departure. Like what you see in this image, but without the chaos warrior helm.

image.png

Edited by PJetski
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1