AoS 2 - Idoneth Deepkin Discussion

Chris Tomlin

I also really like the warband and it´s new animals really open up some new options for ID. Would love some crab cavalery. Also I hope the warband gets some good AoS rules too so we can use them. ID really need some new units in AoS.

Hello again!

Sorry. I didn´t have time for preparing the report until today. Last sunday I have another 28 people tournament (T9A, and I won too).

So here you have, the tournament report of the 20 people tournament that I won on Madrid two weeks ago with the final list that I will use in Milan. Like and sub!!

Tournament Report AoS 2.0. 1st april - 20 people, 1 Idoneth, 1 Sylvaneth & 2 Seraphon - YouTube

How is it that this part of the forum is very quit? I see few new posts about Idoneth and wonder why? Is it because of the old armybook and that it was a long time since we got any new minatures (but now some new are coming at leasts, in underworld), beautiful if I may say so and who don´t like crabs?). 

I´m thinking to start a new AoS army and right now this is one of the main candidates. I think the fluff are intersting, the minatures are wonderful and gameplay looks intersting too (even if eel seems to good).

the recent silence/lack of post may be that everyone is holding their breath as a new book is likely not that far off.  We could get some nice updates or end up like sylvaneth so...a little trepidation.  However I still think aesthetics and current gameplay the army is worth getting.

Sharks are usable and fun, namarti allow for a good toned down list, you can play most of the heroes (even the eidolons) depending on how you feel, and the turtle is amazing.  If you want to be the bane of your friends (a route I took :D) you can grab some eels and wreck face still.

Hey y’all, new to this army. I came from playing competitive 40k and got into a competitive AoS scene down by me. However, Still new to AOS, been playing pick up games to learn, was wondering if I can get some feedback on my list below. I did some of my own research and tried to fine tune the list based off other tournament results but curious what y’all think. 

Volturnos

2 allopexes w/ net launchers 

6 M guard

6 M guard 

3 M guard

3 I guard 

3 I guard

3 aetherwings 

leviadon 

2000/2000

Edited by djrodriguez123

Hiya chaps, I'm Looking to start an aos army .... I was all over soulblight, but I'm so disappointed in the rules ... IDK have flying sharks so .... I mean .... Obviously I want those! .... But, hobby money must be spent wisely, I have a few questions if ok?

1. Without spamming eels, what teir would you place IDK in?

2. How far off do you feel the new book is ?

3. I've noticed a few "heal d3" rules on warscrolls ... Since SBGL just had these removed (wtaf) I'm wondering how reliant IDK are on this mechanic as it could be gone come new book 

4. Is the army fun to play and play against? ... I.e. deep rules, customisation, buffs and a few nasty trixy moves?

Thanks guys 😄

Edited by CarkFish

On 5/12/2021 at 10:18 AM, djrodriguez123 said:

Hey y’all, new to this army. I came from playing competitive 40k and got into a competitive AoS scene down by me. However, Still new to AOS, been playing pick up games to learn, was wondering if I can get some feedback on my list below. I did some of my own research and tried to fine tune the list based off other tournament results but curious what y’all think. 

Volturnos

2 allopexes w/ net launchers 

6 M guard

6 M guard 

3 M guard

3 I guard 

3 I guard

3 aetherwings 

leviadon 

2000/2000

Like the list, but think with the 2 big blocks of Morrsarr you might want to consider bringing a Soulscryer.  Probably drop the 3 Morrsarr for the Soulscryer, then you can also make use of an artifact. Just a thought!  

On 5/15/2021 at 1:51 AM, CarkFish said:

Hiya chaps, I'm Looking to start an aos army .... I was all over soulblight, but I'm so disappointed in the rules ... IDK have flying sharks so .... I mean .... Obviously I want those! .... But, hobby money must be spent wisely, I have a few questions if ok?

3. I've noticed a few "heal d3" rules on warscrolls ... Since SBGL just had these removed (wtaf) I'm wondering how reliant IDK are on this mechanic as it could be gone come new book 

4. Is the army fun to play and play against? ... I.e. deep rules, customisation, buffs and a few nasty trixy moves?

Thanks guys 😄

Hello there!!  

1) I run 4 sharks and 2 turtles, and am loving it!  Have 9 Ishlann and 3 Morrsarr mostly because they’re so tanky and they fulfill my battleline req. 

2) new book could be leaked anytime between next month and next year, there’s no way of telling.  Best guess is sometime in summer (July-ish), as 3.0 will drop with new StormCast and new destruction faction...so sometime after that.

3) depends on the units you run, but I have yet to run one with this rule on it (for idk) and haven’t necessarily needed it.  

4) I’m having a blast playing the army for the past 6 months, but it’s VERY DEFENSIVE.  Opponents have a hard time just rushing me expecting the units to die...they won’t.  MW spam is best way to counter the deepkin. Turn 3, we become super buffed offensively and usually table the opponent in this turn or cripple them so much the game is over.  Definitely could be construed as an NPE.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Midjithero said:

Hello there!!  

1) I run 4 sharks and 2 turtles, and am loving it!  Have 9 Ishlann and 3 Morrsarr mostly because they’re so tanky and they fulfill my battleline req. 

2) new book could be leaked anytime between next month and next year, there’s no way of telling.  Best guess is sometime in summer (July-ish), as 3.0 will drop with new StormCast and new destruction faction...so sometime after that.

3) depends on the units you run, but I have yet to run one with this rule on it (for idk) and haven’t necessarily needed it.  

4) I’m having a blast playing the army for the past 6 months, but it’s VERY DEFENSIVE.  Opponents have a hard time just rushing me expecting the units to die...they won’t.  MW spam is best way to counter the deepkin. Turn 3, we become super buffed offensively and usually table the opponent in this turn or cripple them so much the game is over.  Definitely could be construed as an NPE.

Forgive my stupidity here ... NPE ?

1 hour ago, CarkFish said:

Forgive my stupidity here ... NPE ?

Negative Play Experience. 

But don't mind, this term itself and discussing NPE is a negative experience. Better only talk about PPE, positive play experience - and with Idoneth you will have a lot of this :)

• Like 1

On 5/15/2021 at 10:51 AM, CarkFish said:

Thanks guys 😄

Hi! In terms of context im a fairly new player as well, and I only play casual with a few friends but figured I might offer my view:

1. Probably others better placed to answer this, but I think eels are in pretty much all competitive lists so a bit hard to say as there isnt much data :). There was a guy running Shark-spam in a TTS tournament that went quite well. After BR: Morathi I think you can have a competitive list that is a bit more mixed up between turtle/shark/eel/eidolon that are all viable units now, whereas a year ago it was just eel-spam.

2. Agree with previous posts, probably 6-12 months or so, should be fairly early in the line as ours was not written with AoS 3.0 in mind

3. I would say IDK don't rely on this at all, its just on the eidolon I think? thralls have a return slain model mechanic but its very poor due to thralls only working in small units (big bases and 1'' weapon range), and it only triggers in your BS phase (at which point they are usually dead due to low unit size and only 5+ save and low bravery...

4. For me it has been a bit of both, I like the army, the models are very nice and its quite powerful. what I have found though is that the strategy is a bit "simple" in lack of a better word, in particular if you play casually with less experienced ppl, the high move and reliant combat (you hit/wound on 3+ and re-roll 1s a lot of the time) of this army makes it incredibly forgiving. So I have actually moved away a bit from them (started up LRL now) as some key elements of this game (deployment and movement in particular) doesn't come in that much with Idoneth, you "just" fly/deep-strike wherever you want to be... Ofc against more experienced opponents this is less true. Also they pretty much don't have any magic and very limited shooting so you don't really "play" in those phases. You do however need to think about the objectives as you wont usually be able to take them by having more bodies than your opponent, rather you need to kill whatever is guarding them (which can be fun to be fair :). Bottom line in terms of what most ppl would say "fun to play and play against" there might IMHO be other armies that do that a bit better, it ofc comes down to taste and style though so hard to state as a universal truth..

Hope that gives you some food for thought and good luck in army selection!

Cheers

• Like 1

I know this isnt really where the discussion topic is but I have a few wishes for the updated book that I'd like to see:

1. More command abilities and hopefully unlocked command abilities for heroes
  2. Give the Enclaves some actual worthwile abilities (change tides of death table more or enhance certain aspects like cover giving +2 or deepstrike being anywhere outside of 9")
  3. Make High Tide something like Ironjawz smashing and bashing possibly so it doesn't feel so devastating or swingy (I feel bad when I double turn into turn 3 and hit with buffed up eels, its just not what I want to do sometimes)
  4. new models that provide either better infantry or less expensive/more practical bravery buff options (I swear battleshock is more of a problem than losses in combat)
  5. create some synergy between the namarti and akhelian units (or don't, I honestly don't mind the clear separation between the two)
  6. Fix prayers
  7. Fix Lotann

I would be excited to see some of these come in or be evaluated as options.  My biggest wish is honestly giving deepkin an exclusive ability to stop other armies prayers.  It would be a cool idea that they can stop priest from being able to speak to their gods like an unbind.

On 5/19/2021 at 3:37 PM, Molkaice said:

More command abilities and hopefully unlocked command abilities for heroes

That would be nice. Right now with only two specific command abilities that can only be applied in one turn each and exclude each other is kind of sad. On the other hand IDK work pretty much independent from buffs and even if all heroes are sniped some way they aren't much weaker. Other factions crumble pretty quickly once the synergies are gone.

Give the Enclaves some actual worthwile abilities (change tides of death table more or enhance certain aspects like cover giving +2 or deepstrike being anywhere outside of 9")

The are rumors that all buffs and debuffs will be capped at -1 or +1 in AoS 3.0 (which wouldn't be a bad idea I think). 

But generally enclaves just as cities or cults or covens etc. should not make a huge difference I think. In my eyes they are OK as they are.

Make High Tide something like Ironjawz smashing and bashing possibly so it doesn't feel so devastating or swingy (I feel bad when I double turn into turn 3 and hit with buffed up eels, its just not what I want to do sometimes)

I think it is much more psychological than anything else. To have the bulk of your army positioned to be buffed and get or be inm combat turn three usually means to pass up points or kills in turn one and two. It evens out pretty well most of the time. 

Yes, if you have saved all your command points and let Volturnos go wild it can be devastating but other armies have similar abilities every round and not just once per game so 🤷‍♂️

new models that provide either better infantry or less expensive/more practical bravery buff options (I swear battleshock is more of a problem than losses in combat)

If the rumors are true everybody will get more command points in 3.0. So you might be able to use inspiring presence more often. Other than that Namarti will be glass cannons.

create some synergy between the namarti and akhelian units (or don't, I honestly don't mind the clear separation between the two)

I would love to have more fluffy mixed list be a more viable option. 

Fix Lotann

I think he is not that bad to a Namarti-heavy build. Maybe instead of buffing bravery a no-battleshock-bubble would be nice. Other than that...

42 minutes ago, LordRhulak said:

Well at least Lotann is no longer the worst hero in the book! :P

I suppose he’s no worse than regular Soulrender.

Flat 4 attacks on the fish rather than D3. Worse profile but MW on 6’s so probably marginally better on balance.

Still fairly cheap as well, plus a few models for objective grabbing? plus (as @Sonnenspeer pointed out) CRAB!!

EDIT: I’d love to try out a Morphann Namarti heavy list, nice to have a bit of variety if I ever want to run a second soulrender. Could use the crab and fish as objective markers.

Edited by GrimDork
  • Like 1

Problem is he is locked into Ionrach, so he won't gain the extra resurection from Morphann. He also can't be included in  the battalion so he is stuck at resurecting D3 models. 

However, there is the small matter of the crab. 

I'm taking him. He could be 300 points and I'd still take him. All hail the crab!