AoS 2 - Idoneth Deepkin Discussion

Chris Tomlin

For me the selling point for Volturnos or the generic king was always the command ability. Since that has now been nerved substantially I am not sure if they are worth their points. I would still run one of them in an Akhelian-list (since we have no other choices to make the eels battleline) but if I have to pick between a second king and two sharks I would probably chose the sharks.

Edited by DocKeule

2 hours ago, DocKeule said:

For me the selling point for Volturnos or the generic king was always the command ability. Since that has now been nerved substantially I am not sure if they are worth their points. I would still run one of them in an Akhelian-list (since we have no other choices to make the eels battleline) but if I have to pick between a second kind and two sharks I would probably chose the sharks.

I completely disagree.  The CA was never what won you games with Deepkin.  Now, the clear winner is Volturnos in 3.0, but I think I will explore running a King as general as well as Volturnos.  The King/Volturnos is one of the few synergy pieces in the army.  And will matter immensely with the RR1’s aura and Bravery buff.  The CA is a nice to have.  

The rr 1s and +1 bravery from Volturnos are fantastic, the +1A command ability in turn 3 is still worth making it your general but not mandatory. My games feedback with him playing with aos 3.0 rules is that is a lot more survivable now with heroic abilities

Has anyone been able to figure out where we stand with mount traits? If I'm reading it right we can only take 1 (unless our battalion allows an extra) and Volturnos is no longer able to have one. Is anyone able to confirm this?

7 minutes ago, Siorra said:

Has anyone been able to figure out where we stand with mount traits? If I'm reading it right we can only take 1 (unless our battalion allows an extra) and Volturnos is no longer able to have one. Is anyone able to confirm this?

That's my understanding. But the "unless noted otherwise" makes it unclear if the core rules or Morathi rules take precedence. I'm hoping that a day one faq clears this up.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, HollowHills said:

That's my understanding. But the "unless noted otherwise" makes it unclear if the core rules or Morathi rules take precedence. I'm hoping that a day one faq clears this up.

Yeah, it’s super unclear.  I really enjoyed the access to mount traits, I’m hoping we won’t get them taken away by restricting them down to counting as an enchancement.  

2 hours ago, Rhetoric said:

Yeah, it’s super unclear.  I really enjoyed the access to mount traits, I’m hoping we won’t get them taken away by restricting them down to counting as an enchancement.  

Mount traits are specifically listed under enhancements, so I don't see that changing. I never got to play with -1 to hit Volturnos, which is a shame, but at least we still have Ancient Leviadons.

Is anyone else finding it hard to fit together lists since the points changes? I feel not including a Leviadon and Eidolon of the Storm feels like bad list writing but then there's very little room for bodies. And until they change the Thrall's range I feel the coherency rules really punishes including them.

7 hours ago, Rhetoric said:

Pretty sure Battletomes also take presidence over core rules as they can't make a 1 size fits all rule book, would be bigger than the Silmarillion lol

New FAQ: No changes apart from the ships. 

We can still have two pieces and two halves make one piece.

We have to place them outside of 3" from other terrain now.

It can be garrisoned but only with models with five or less wounds and no mounts.

The 6+ ward save is gone.

5 minutes ago, DocKeule said:

New FAQ: No changes apart from the ships. 

We can still have two pieces and two halves make one piece.

We have to place them outside of 3" from other terrain now.

It can be garrisoned but only with models with five or less wounds and no mounts.

The 6+ ward save is gone.

Not true. Volturnos no longer has to be general to use his CA.

Also I clarified with the playtesters that Volturnos can't take a mount trait.

Cloud of Midnight does no longer prevent one turn of shooting! 

Page 89 – Cloud of Midnight
Add:
‘In the phase in which the bearer releases the Cloud of Midnight, 
they are ignored when determining which is the closest Idoneth 
Deepkin model for the purposes of the Forgotten Nightmares 
battle trait.’

Edited by Sonnenspeer

1 hour ago, HollowHills said:

Not true. Volturnos no longer has to be general to use his CA.

Also I clarified with the playtesters that Volturnos can't take a mount trait.

Yeah, I thought they would mark all changes magenta as they wrote at the top of the document. Well...

1 hour ago, Molkaice said:

Wow our ship took a hit, having it be in your territory really stops deployment shenanigans.  Is it worth it to even bring it still?

I mean it's free and basically a slightly annoying barrier for your opponent. I would maybe leave it at home for casual games where you can't be bothered to carry it.

Also slightly annoyed we can only take a single boat now as most of us bought two.

Maybe you could garrison a Tidecaster in there to make her tanky?

• Like 1

3 hours ago, HollowHills said:

I mean it's free and basically a slightly annoying barrier for your opponent. I would maybe leave it at home for casual games where you can't be bothered to carry it.

Also slightly annoyed we can only take a single boat now as most of us bought two.

Maybe you could garrison a Tidecaster in there to make her tanky?

A tide caster would be a good option, however (and I'm probably an outlier) I can't find a reason I'd play spell casters in our army still.  We only have one enclave for "a" plus to cast and rerolls are limited.  Against the big boy casters it feels a bit of a waste.

Still who knows with the new edition, I tried running a mixed eel list with eidolon and I'm not sure I like how it felt.  I just want thralls to be something I can charge in without putting them down as all or nothing units (win or you're all gone by end of combat).

I'm going to try to play my friends in the next week or so with the new rules and hopefully I can pull put something together that is more fun

14 minutes ago, Molkaice said:

A tide caster would be a good option, however (and I'm probably an outlier) I can't find a reason I'd play spell casters in our army still.  We only have one enclave for "a" plus to cast and rerolls are limited.  Against the big boy casters it feels a bit of a waste.

Still who knows with the new edition, I tried running a mixed eel list with eidolon and I'm not sure I like how it felt.  I just want thralls to be something I can charge in without putting them down as all or nothing units (win or you're all gone by end of combat).

I'm going to try to play my friends in the next week or so with the new rules and hopefully I can pull put something together that is more fun

I have two reasons for going for a caster. 1) ability to get rid of the opponents endless spells, in particular the new shackles. 2) as the cloud of midnight cannot be used to block shooting anymore, ghost mist might be a good option.

4 hours ago, HollowHills said:

Indeed. Having a 40 € model that I just cannot use anymore after just three years slightly rubs me the wrong way.

1 hour ago, Molkaice said:

A tide caster would be a good option, however (and I'm probably an outlier) I can't find a reason I'd play spell casters in our army still. 

The main argument for bringing a Tidecaster now is that Volturnos does not need to be the general to use his command ability. So we could use "Surpreme Lord Of the Tides" AND reverse the order of the tides (or not if we don't feel like it).

But this could be a nice way to keep our opponents on their toes a little during deployment if they don't know when high tide is going to hit.

3 hours ago, DocKeule said:

Indeed. Having a 40 € model that I just cannot use anymore after just three years slightly rubs me the wrong way.

The main argument for bringing a Tidecaster now is that Volturnos does not need to be the general to use his command ability. So we could use "Surpreme Lord Of the Tides" AND reverse the order of the tides (or not if we don't feel like it).

But this could be a nice way to keep our opponents on their toes a little during deployment if they don't know when high tide is going to hit.

I rather like this tbh, Reverse Tides + King was always a solid option but it was annoying when we had to choose. I like that we can have both now.  Very happy with this change!