AoS 2 - Sylvaneth Discussion

Chris Tomlin

I’ve looked around, and everyone keeps saying how I need the Gnarlroot grove, is it that good?

and can’t I simply play without battalion, and use the points for better units? How viable is that? 

I’m thinking about this:

Alarielle 600

Tree man Ancient 300

Spirit of Durthu 380 (+1 hit/wound sword)

Branchwraith 80

Tree Revenants 80

Tree Revenants 80

20 Dryads 200

Kurnoth hunters (3 models) 200

Cogs 60

Brief question: if you are running a battalion like winterleaf or harvestboon, do summoned dryads from a branchwraith or summoned anything from alarielle and whatnot gain the battalion benefit? 

Rules as written I might think no but rules as intended maybe yes?

Edited by Frowny
Spelling

6 hours ago, Nielspeterdejong said:

I’ve looked around, and everyone keeps saying how I need the Gnarlroot grove, is it that good?

and can’t I simply play without battalion, and use the points for better units? How viable is that? 

I’m thinking about this:

Alarielle 600

Tree man Ancient 300

Spirit of Durthu 380 (+1 hit/wound sword)

Branchwraith 80

Tree Revenants 80

Tree Revenants 80

20 Dryads 200

Kurnoth hunters (3 models) 200

Cogs 60

Loose the Ancient, Alarielle can summon him if needes. 

Spend the point on more Dryads, more Kurnoths and another Branchwraith. 

On 1/11/2019 at 10:23 PM, Nielspeterdejong said:

can anyone help me make a good army with this? I’m thinking about using as much models as possible, and not take battalions.

try this list on 1000pts

Spoiler

Allegiance: Sylvaneth

Leaders
Drycha Hamadreth (280)
- Deepwood Spell: Verdant Blessing
Branchwraith (80)
- General
- Trait: Warsinger 
- Artefact: Acorn of the Ages 
- Deepwood Spell: Regrowth

Battleline
5 x Tree-Revenants (80)
5 x Tree-Revenants (80)
5 x Tree-Revenants (80)

Units
6 x Kurnoth Hunters (400)
- Scythes

Total: 1000 / 1000
Extra Command Points: 0
Allies: 0 / 400
Wounds: 60

Edited by azmarus

19 hours ago, overtninja said:

I would guess not, since they are summoned, and thus not part of the battalion at the list-building step.

I could argued that with "Any number of additional SYLVANETH units" which states in Harvestboon Wargrove .. "additional" imho can be a summoned .

Although i have the same opinon as you guys have ...

An official answer should be given by GW 

25 minutes ago, azmarus said:

try this list on 1000pts

Hide contents

Leaders
Drycha Hamadreth (280)
Branchwraith (80)
- General
- Trait: Warsinger 

Battleline
5 x Tree-Revenants (80)
5 x Tree-Revenants (80)
5 x Tree-Revenants (80)

Units
6 x Kurnoth Hunters (400)
- Scythes

Total: 1000 / 1000
Extra Command Points: 20
Allies: 0 / 400
Wounds: 60

Okay, thanks!

I’m running 2000 points, and I’m thinking about using this list based on some advice from a Redditor. Thoughts?

Gnarlroot Wargrove 130

Household 100

Treelord Ancient 300 (General, Gnarled Warrior, Artifact: The Oaken Armor. Deepwood spell: Regrowth)

BranchWraith 80 (Artifact: Acorn of the Ages, Deepwood spell: Throne of Vines)

Branchwych 80 (Artifact: The Silverwood Circlet, Deepwood spell: The Reaping)

Tree Revenants 80

Tree Revenants 80

30 Dryads 270

3 Hunters (Scythes) 200

Arielle 600 (Deepwood spell: Throne of Vines)

Cogs 60 (for Rerolling charges)

Quicksilver Swords 20

13 minutes ago, Nielspeterdejong said:

BranchWraith 80 (Artifact: Acorn of the Ages, Deepwood spell: Throne of Vines)

If you want your Wraith to be a bit more mobile and have another source of summoning wyldwoods, as the TLA is not too reliable for this, you can run her with Ranus Lamentiri and Verdant blessing. This way you can move with your army and still can summon wyldwoods with your first spell on a 5+ and your dryads on a 6+. So you trade off your +D3 for casting and unbinds for a +1/+2 on casting, depending on the spell being from your spell lore, with added mobility and another source for woods.

Edited by Ruhraffe

2 hours ago, Ruhraffe said:

If you want your Wraith to be a bit more mobile and have another source of summoning wyldwoods, as the TLA is not too reliable for this, you can run her with Ranus Lamentiri and Verdant blessing. This way you can move with your army and still can summon wyldwoods with your first spell on a 5+ and your dryads on a 6+. So you trade off your +D3 for casting and unbinds for a +1/+2 on casting, depending on the spell being from your spell lore, with added mobility and another source for woods.

Casting Verdant Blessing while being equipped with Ranus Lamentiri succeeds on a 4+! Hope you did not fail-cast too many times because of this 😥

23 hours ago, Nielspeterdejong said:

I’m thinking about this:

There are other options then Gnarlroot. People are having success with Harvestboon and Winterleaf aswell.

Yes you can play without a Battalion but the bonuses from them are good and not something you can get anywhere else.

Plus the value of your army being a 1 drop is not to be underestimated.

8 hours ago, Ruhraffe said:

Could you please give me a source for this?

Apologies, what I meant was that there are various rules on other warscrolls, particularly Dryads and Branch-things that work within 3", which I misremembered as 1". Also, Navigate Realmroots can be used from within 3" of Wyldwoods as well. They block LoS if you are deeper than 1" inside them, as well.

Basically, you'll be in range to use every ability that's not a claiming cover within 3" of the whole terrain set, which is usually what you use it for, outside of just being a massive LoS screen.

I was thinking about throwing something like this on the table:

Leaders
Spirit of Durthu (380)
- General
- Trait: Gnarled Warrior 
- Artefact: The Oaken Armour 
Branchwych (80)
Branchwraith (80)

Battleline
30 x Dryads (270)
10 x Dryads (100)
5 x Tree-Revenants (80)

Units
3 x Kurnoth Hunters (200)
- Greatswords
- Greatbows
- Scythes
- Greatbows

Battalions
Free Spirits (120)

Endless Spells
Chronomantic Cogs (60)

Total: 1970 / 2000
Extra Command Points: 1

18 hours ago, overtninja said:

Do you folks think a Dreadwood Wargrove is worth it? I really like Spite-Revenants a lot as models, and the Subterfuge abilities look pretty strong, but I'm wondering if anyone has actually played with the battalions and seen it in action.

I did play a Dreadwood Wargrove list. 

The abilities of the battalion are really strong, yet too random. It is not that bad, as you will be able to take the one that suits you most regarding your opponent, but still, vs some you would need at least 2 of them (the tp and extra move) to really work efficiently. 

The battalion gives you ton of opportunities to be really flexible. The down side is that your 4 spite revenants won't do a thing in the game, as they don't do any dmg. But they are good objective holders. 

The list was Alarielle, TLA with moonstone of the hiddenways, Durthu, and some heroes (with one having the Treesong spell) + mandatory battlelines. 

T1: Charge with Alarielle, Durthu, TLA and 3 Kurnoths hunters with swords. 

I liked a lot the list, and played it for quite some time: As long as you don't fall vs lists with really strong chaffs, it does the work. 

Edited by Alezya
  • Like 1

@Alezya Hey, thanks for the reply! I was hoping that with enough bodies in the units, the Spite-Revenants would be able to go to town on things, as long as they didn't have high armor - but I've seen what happens when Dryads go up against a hard target, and it isn't pretty. 😛

I was planning on something at around 2k with 2x10 Spites, 2x5 Spites, 2x3 Kurnoth (scythes and swords), 20 Dryads, Branchwych, Branchwraith, TLA and Drycha, which leaves 60 for some endless spells (probably Ravenak's Bitey Mouth and Shackles/Swords).

I've watched plenty of battle reports where Durthu does work, but I'm holding off on building one as I want to slot Alarielle into the list at 2500 and it would be basically just adding her, and she's plenty fierce anyway.

@overtninja Hi! just recently there was a long podcast with Chris Welfare and Liam, both tournament sylvaneth players. 

Their point was, that at the moment, four batallions are viable: Dreadwood, Gnarlroot, Winterleaf and Harvestboon.  Even though the Forest Folk Batallions are at the top of the competitive scene atm, both Gnarlroot and Dreadwood should be viable enough for a 4/5 in tournament in their opinion, if i remember correctly. Chris said, he liked to play Dreadwood defensively, if possible. So, raise your woods, camp the objective in protection of the woods. Use the additional movement phase and the reduced enemy range stratagem to capture objectives early and hinder your opponent. Then let them come and harass them from range with Bow-Hunters, Alarielle and Durthus. Or, if the opportunity presents it, you can alpha strike and hinder your opponent that way. 

Here is the podcast. A recommendation for all of us. 

Edited by Ruhraffe
  • Like 3

Hey y’all! 

Just looking a trying different lists that would be fun to play ( outside of my standard Dreadwood) again. Could be competitive also! hopefully they’re good  

Ive sort of wanted to focus on using Durthu and Dryads... lots of dryads. And not restrict myself to any do the Revs or big monsters

Let me know what you think! 

Harvestboon list

E8155AC8-32D7-4F62-A6C5-58C57BE63DD2.jpeg.906ec80f47b9b3ff4618b1d470b15d9c.jpeg

Winterleaf list

87C91954-3F5C-47A7-B5A4-90AFD7EDB81B.jpeg.7eb7f60be02af0c42c5ae6b11a10dc2a.jpeg

Happy for critique!

2 hours ago, Lanoss said:

Let me know what you think! 

Well, both are actually really sucessful tournament lists doing the rounds right now minus Alarielle.

So, yes, they will be competitive, just not as much as they could be. Depending on your local meta, they should still be plenty powerful.

• Thanks 1