AoS 2 - Clan Pestilens Discussion

Gaz Taylor

Any thoughts on the bizarre 30-point increase in cost of Congregation of Filth to 170? It seems strange given the 10-20 point reductions on every other Pestilens Battalion and most units. We're never going to be a very low-drop list at 2k points, so it's a question of whether the 1 command point from the battalion + its utility and extra artefact are worth the opportunity cost of THREE command points with a spare twenty-points to go towards an endless spell.

Edited by RatOfGod

Ya I don't get the point increase. I honestly don't even think the battalion is that great. In the new edition you can reroll charges with cp anyway and the 6+ save is helpful in keeping rats alive at range, but you kind of want your rats to die in combat phase so they can blow up. I've been thinking of dropping it after the point changes, but the extra artifact could be very strong in the new edition.

So all the Skaven infantry are now on 25mm bases, and all the heroes on foot are 32mm. Much of the same, and nothing unexpected. 

However..

Plague-censer bearers are now 32mm? Does that seem a bit weird to anyone else? Certainly ruins my plan of converting up a dual use kit of Stormvermin/Censer bearers :(

Edit: Nevermind, my brain was being silly. Plague-Censers have always been on 32mm ?

What do we think about the base sizes for Skaven in general? Personally, I really like 32mm for our heroes. Looks a lot better.

Edited by Mayple

9 hours ago, Mayple said:

?

What do we think about the base sizes for Skaven in general? Personally, I really like 32mm for our heroes. Looks a lot better.

Matter of personal taste :) I personally like having my heroes on 25mm because it makes me feel they are just rats among rats. Easily stabbed a replaced yes-yes!

But at the same time the heroes models do look more powerful/cunning/muscular than the battlelines ones so even if they are on 25mm base, I feel that they still look more deadly. Eg my games day warlord below is based 25mm and using the same basing technique as my clanrats, but I feel it still looks way more deadly.

IMG_20180602_144715.jpg

• Like 3

On ‎6‎/‎28‎/‎2018 at 7:14 PM, 5kaven5lave said:

Are any of the battalions any good for Pestilens?

The Congregation of Filth is really good, which is probably why it has gone up by 30 points (although the furnace has come down by 20 so net gain is 10 points). I take tolsedts point about more rats, but I think the 6+ save against damage and the ability to reroll charges is indespensible in an army that struggles with any kind of durability. I suppose, in essence, more rats take longer to kill so perhaps it's swings and roundabouts. I also used to run the Virulent Procession until I realised that the Verminlord, whilst useful as a support piece, is not worth that number of points being sunk into him. Protect him with artefacts (Vexler's Shroud for example) and good positioning on the table instead. I haven't really tried any of the other battalions, they don't look up to much to me.

Edited by WAAAGHdogg15
spelling error

1 hour ago, WAAAGHdogg15 said:

Has Azyr not updated properly or is it right that we can no longer have Warp Lightning Canons and Doomwheels as allies?

While I don't know of this specifically, the app is very buggy right now. They are fixing it.

There is no reason you can't take skryre as allies. WLC is still strong.

10 hours ago, bushman101 said:

that's a big bummer.

My collection is more of a 'Skaven United' type and the few war scroll battalions I could bring are no longer usable.

Same for me. I never play matched play with my unified skaven for that reason.

15 hours ago, BeefyLemur said:

Question about Redmaw Plague, does it last the rest of the game? Like every time the enemy hero is near other enemy units and not near yours do you get to take it over for the combat phase? Or just once and then it's done.

The wording says “at the start of any combat phase” so I’d say it’s from when the plague goes off until the end of the game.

Technically you could claim it lasts beyond that game on that wording but I think you’d lose friends quickly for trying to suggest that ?

Hey there, new poster here. Been getting to grips with Pestilens in an ongoing Escalation League and we're hitting 1,500pts now 2nd edition is out and rolling with those rules for it. I'm going for Pestilens for Allegiance rather than Maggotkin as I'm in more for the Skaven Bravery in Numbers and the Great Plague buffs. I have an army list below I quickly did, quite heavy on support though when 2k rolls around I can put more Plague Monks in. Anyways, lemme know how this looks, I know how the Pestilens feels now after some games, though I feel they needed some support versus melee-centric forces (Khorne, DoK) and figured Ratling Guns allied in would be a good call...

1,500pts Allegiance: Pestilens. Home Realm: Hysh.

Verminlord Corruptor (General. Command Trait: Master of Rot and Ruin. Artifact: Aetherquartz Brooch) = 220pts

Plague Furnace (Bonus Artifact: Liber Bubonicus) = 180pts

Plague Monk = 80pts

x3 Battlelines;

30x Plague Monks (plague scroll, contagion banner, icon of contagion, bile-chimes) w/ foetid blades + woe-staves. = 210pts

30x Plague Monks (same as above) = 210pts

30x Plague Monks (same as above) = 210pts

Ratling Gun Weapon Team = 80pts (Ally)

Ratling Gun Weapon Team = 80pts (Ally)

Battalion: Contagion of Filth = 170pts

Chronomantic Cogs Endless Spell = 60pts

====

That list brings me to 1.5k on the dot in points. I know I could have gone with blobs of 40 to save points, though I'm gonna take advantage of that come the 2000pt list to end the league with.

Things I noticed was the wording of the Contagion of Filth says 2+ units of Plague Monks can be included, not just two, which is pretty neat. Went with woe-staves for the obvious extra dice when the back ranks are charged in and the Verminlord can activate 'Goug-Tear their Eyes!'. They have the Aetherquartz Brooch to help on the 5+ get Command Points back so I can lean on 'Inspiring Presence' more when needed. Him getting the Priest keyword from Master of Rot and Ruin now should mean he can get Echoes of Great Plagues same as the other Heroes.

I could have had more Plague Monks, though I feel this list isn't too bad. I got some time to tweak it around though...

So... What do you think about it?

The plagueclaw splits opinion but I personally rate it and would have it in place of your two rattling guns.

Again, personal opinion but I always go foetid blades to get the rerolls to hit. Even with the reach and gouge tear their eyes, the blades are more reliable in the same circumstances.

Good list though. It’ll be fun and cause some carnage. Good luck with it and thank you for pointing out the 2+ units thing; that’s going to help me massively! ?

Can clan pestilens take slaves to darkness as allies if they're marked as nurgle? They say you can mark them when you first set them up. Does that still count for list building? I assume it does if they can be taken as battleline for nurgle. Just want to make sure.

2 hours ago, BeefyLemur said:

Can clan pestilens take slaves to darkness as allies if they're marked as nurgle? They say you can mark them when you first set them up. Does that still count for list building? I assume it does if they can be taken as battleline for nurgle. Just want to make sure.

Pestilens are Nurgle models and can be a part of a nurgle army but if you had a pure pestilens army, it would be a pestilens army and not a nurgle army. Its kind of like having a Slaves army that was all marked nurgle, but taken as a slaves allegiance rather than nurgle. So all squares are rectangles but not all rectangles are squares kind of thing.

Edit: Oh wait you mean a slaves army taking petsilens as allies? That I can't remember!

Edited by kenshin620

2 minutes ago, kenshin620 said:

Pestilens are Nurgle models and can be a part of a nurgle army but if you had a pure pestilens army, it would be a pestilens army and not a nurgle army. Its kind of like having a Slaves army that was all marked nurgle, but taken as a slaves allegiance rather than nurgle. So all squares are rectangles but not all rectangles are squares kind of thing.

Edit: Oh wait you mean a slaves army taking petsilens as allies? That I can't remember!

Sorry my wording was weird. I didn't mean to take them as battle line for pestilens, just using it as a bad example. I just mean purely as allies. Since pestilens can take nurgle as allies.

38 minutes ago, BeefyLemur said:

I just mean purely as allies. Since pestilens can take nurgle as allies.

I think that then answers the question, you can take nurgle marked slaves as a nurgle allegiance units. So slaves -> nurgle mark -> nurgle unit -> nurgle ally for pestilens(?).

Someone can correct me, I always get my allies twisted up.

Yeah, it's a little less restrictive now that you can take Nurgle as allies as opposed to Nurgle Daemons.  I think I'm still going to downgrade Pestilens allegiance. Maggotkin followed by GA: Chaos seem like better choices for a Pestilens army. The new command point system seems like a major boon for our stinky mice!