AoS 2 - Slaves to Darkness / Darkoath Discussion

Gaz Taylor

14 minutes ago, Darkrich said:

I haven't tried varanguard yet either. Slaves are pretty good at taking hits, so a strong unit like varanguard might do it.

Yeah... Varanguard with Fellspears might fill that hole.  Pricey though.  And it would be nice if you didn't need Archaon around to give them a mark.

Edited by amysrevenge

1 hour ago, amysrevenge said:

We need something that is equivalent to Kurnoth Hunters, or Ironguts, or others of that ilk.  Small-ish footprint, fast-ish moving, hard hitter.  That's the thing that's really missing from StD right now.

Anyone have any ideas for an ally that could be that?  A couple Khorgoraths maybe (are they even on our ally list? I've never checked)?

ETA:  Bullgors maybe?  Ultimately they are one step too weak for what I want - either +1 to hit or +1A would make the difference.  But it might be worth a try to throw some in.

Yes You can ally in Khorgorath.

It says Khorne (in general) in the allies table. Then the thing is maybe take a Lord of Khorne on Juggernaut and give +1 to wound on the charge to Bullgors making their extra attack easier to proc? It says on a wound roll of 6+... 

Would Skullreapers or Chaos Chosen not be this hard hitting thing? They can do mortal wounds and have decent damage and lots of attacks. 

4 minutes ago, Ravinsild said:

Yes You can ally in Khorgorath.

It says Khorne (in general) in the allies table. Then the thing is maybe take a Lord of Khorne on Juggernaut and give +1 to wound on the charge to Bullgors making their extra attack easier to proc? It says on a wound roll of 6+... 

Would Skullreapers or Chaos Chosen not be this hard hitting thing? They can do mortal wounds and have decent damage and lots of attacks. 

I'm really looking for something beyond rend -1/damage 1 ultimately.  Either higher rend or bigger damage would do, I'm not greedy, I don't demand both at once haha.  Something to really pack a punch.  Chosen just seem so expensive to me (I've got 10 I could use).

And a Doombull would be better for Bullgors - get that +1 to Wound all the time (for a CP).

Edited by amysrevenge
  • Like 1

23 minutes ago, amysrevenge said:

I'm really looking for something beyond rend -1/damage 1 ultimately.  Either higher rend or bigger damage would do, I'm not greedy, I don't demand both at once haha.  Something to really pack a punch.  Chosen just seem so expensive to me (I've got 10 I could use).

And a Doombull would be better for Bullgors - get that +1 to Wound all the time (for a CP).

Oh you’re right. I didn’t know what a Doombull did haha. So yeah Bullgors are the best equivalent. Sadly STD can’t ally in Skaven because Stormvermin are also exactly that unit you want. 

6 minutes ago, Ravinsild said:

Oh you’re right. I didn’t know what a Doombull did haha. So yeah Bullgors are the best equivalent. Sadly STD can’t ally in Skaven because Stormvermin are also exactly that unit you want. 

Oooh or Stormfriends.  Would love a handful of Stormfriends in there.

12 minutes ago, Darkrich said:

What are people running for the general and why? The lord of chaos has such a cool model, but damage is pretty meh and his command ability is stupid. It's almost worthless since it's the same as his allegiance ability.

It isn't though.  If you have mark of slaanesh, the allegiance ability lets nearby units reroll 1s to run and charge (for free), and the command ability lets you spend a CP to let one nearby unit run and charge.  Very nice, when added together.

Edited by amysrevenge

That's a good point. My group is in the mind that Mark of the All Favored applies all the bonuses of each mark for the characters. That seems to be the intention at least. I was looking at his command ability again. Does he pass those bonuses to a similarly marked unit? The criteria seems to be met. A khorne marked unit shares the keywork with him, so he passes his mark bonuses to them.

8 minutes ago, Darkrich said:

That's a good point. My group is in the mind that Mark of the All Favored applies all the bonuses of each mark for the characters. That seems to be the intention at least. I was looking at his command ability again. Does he pass those bonuses to a similarly marked unit? The criteria seems to be met. A khorne marked unit shares the keywork with him, so he passes his mark bonuses to them.

I think for this one you'd be pushing it - the LoC will have all 4 marks, and will get all 4 benefits himself, but I reckon he can only give any other unit the benefit that lines up with the mark they have.  If he has a nearby Tzeentch marked unit he can give them the reroll 1s to save ability, and if he has a nearby Slaanesh marked unit he can give them the run and charge ability, but he wouldn't give either of them all 4 abilities.   (If there was another unit with multiple marks, they'd get multiple abilities to match.)

Edited by amysrevenge

I hear what you're saying. That makes sense logically, but that's not what it says. 

Aided by the Gods: If a Lord of Chaos uses this ability, pick a Slaves to Darkness unit within 10" that has the same mark of Chaos as the Lord. Until your next hero phase, that unit receives the same benefits as the Lord of Chaos receives for his Mark of Chaos.

I think it's just a case of GW not really looking at any warscrolls when the update happened to edit it. And in the end it would really just be like casting of demonic power, but I would be a fan of it.

If you are being super pedantic, a Chaos Warrior with a mark doesn't have "the same mark of Chaos" as the LoC.  LoC has marks of all four.  Not the same as just one.

The only reading that makes sense is to have "same mark of Chaos" in the first sentence refer to the exact same thing as "his mark of Chaos" in the second.  The shared one only.  It doesn't work if the first one just means one mark and the second one means all four.

11 minutes ago, amysrevenge said:

If you are being super pedantic, a Chaos Warrior with a mark doesn't have "the same mark of Chaos" as the LoC.  LoC has marks of all four.  Not the same as just one.

The only reading that makes sense is to have "same mark of Chaos" in the first sentence refer to the exact same thing as "his mark of Chaos" in the second.  The shared one only.  It doesn't work if the first one just means one mark and the second one means all four.

This has nothing to do with anything but your profile picture constantly reminds me of the doctor from Archer (The cartoon). lmao. I read all of your posts in his voice.

• Haha 1

Dr. Krieger. 

13 hours ago, amysrevenge said:

We need something that is equivalent to Kurnoth Hunters, or Ironguts, or others of that ilk.  Small-ish footprint, fast-ish moving, hard hitter.  That's the thing that's really missing from StD right now.

Anyone have any ideas for an ally that could be that?  A couple Khorgoraths maybe (are they even on our ally list? I've never checked)?

ETA:  Bullgors maybe?  Ultimately they are one step too weak for what I want - either +1 to hit or +1A would make the difference.  But it might be worth a try to throw some in.

What about Skin Wolves?

move 8""

At least 4 attacks with 3+/3+  -1  D2

Tzaangor Enlightened on Disc is what you are looking for!

Flying, 16" move,  160 points, 12 wound, sick melee profile, re-roll hit/wound when attacking last.

And I don't know why you all want to mark the units you allie, as they won't benefit from the Allegiance Abilities.

• Haha 1

15 hours ago, amysrevenge said:

To be fair, I saw them in action last week and... I found them a bit disappointing. Doombull was quite good though. But I would still think Varangaurd would blow them out of the water... 

And what about

15 hours ago, Darkrich said:

How do you guys manage to fight skeletons. I'm running into the issue where the faction lacks some power. I hit skeletons and can kill 20 or so, but then they come right back. And the spells that hit us, like -1 to hit or attacks just mean I get drowned in attacks by the skeletons I can't kill. I would like to kill the casters to stop the support, but as a melee army, I have to go through the front. I allied in a gaunt summoner to help, but Arkhan is a better caster and saves his dispel attempts to shut down the gaunt summoner. 

What about Tzaangor Enlightend? Arkhan might be too tough but at least you have something to get behind his lines, forcing him to respond and thretening his necromancers etc. And in theory allowing you to focus more on one unit of skellies. Getting those final 20 in the unit as well?

Also it's a cool conversion project to get them looking more Slaves to darkness. 

Edited by Kramer
  • Thanks 1

14 minutes ago, Drib said:

Tzaangor Enlightened on Disc is what you are looking for!

Flying, 16" move,  160 points, 12 wound, sick melee profile, re-roll hit/wound when attacking last.

And I don't know why you all want to mark the units you allie, as they won't benefit from the Allegiance Abilities.

Haha ninja'd by @Drib!

On 8/3/2018 at 12:16 AM, amysrevenge said:

I like the idea of Skin Wolves from FW 

8" move, 4W, 5+ save bravery 5

Teeth and Claws 1",4, 3+, 3+, -1, 2

can run and charge, unmodified 6s to hit are 2 hits

160 points for 3

And they are werewolves not swearwolves! (my main reason I want to use them admittedly)99590201016_Skinwolves1.jpg

I do use varanguard occasionally and they are ok, though they lose a bit without archaon on the table

Edited by Tali182
  • Haha 2

we need to start pushing FW on their webpage to change the warscroll for skin wolves so they can be marked and  get a god keyword.

They'd sell these by the bucket load if they did that. 

In old fantasy they could be marked.

TGA Massive.. lets start petitioning! :)

• Like 1