AoS 2 - Clan Skyre Discussion

Gaz Taylor

4 minutes ago, Ecko said:

No couldn't read either but i was pretty sure he said 120 and the would be odd if he was the same pts as an Engineer, same profile with better weapon, nobody would play Engineer anymore

I see your logic, but one is a new model in a £95 box set and one is a fugly old metal cast that goes for about a tenner...

/removes cynicism hat

3 minutes ago, 5kaven5lave said:

Great work. Is there good artwork? Don’t suppose you’ve read any of the fluff yet?

Reading the fluff now. It's standard Skaven stuff so far! Anything not specifically Skryre-related I will keep to the main thread. The artwork's pretty nice. My main gripe is that the Skryre battalion is pictured with a Poison Wind Mortar, which is like... are they just rubbing salt in the wound?

18 minutes ago, Kirjava13 said:

Reading the fluff now. It's standard Skaven stuff so far! Anything not specifically Skryre-related I will keep to the main thread. The artwork's pretty nice. My main gripe is that the Skryre battalion is pictured with a Poison Wind Mortar, which is like... are they just rubbing salt in the wound?

Oof that sucks. That's going to hurt for a long while.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, 5kaven5lave said:

I see your logic, but one is a new model in a £95 box set and one is a fugly old metal cast that goes for about a tenner...

/removes cynicism hat

Good point ! 

1 hour ago, Kirjava13 said:

The Warlock Bombardier is 100 points, I'm looking at it now.

Ok thx my bad then 

There are two fantastic potential war machines mentioned in the flavour short story about Skryre: a "multi-barelled lightning artillery piece" called the Warpraker Cannon, and the Rip-flinger, which sounds like a shuriken cannon on steroids. Tragically the former blows up the latter as they are competing for an Arch-Warlock's favour 🤣

17 minutes ago, GeneralZero said:

A complete article in the WComunity about skryre...their suggestion: build around 2 boxes eventually add a third Stormfiend.

Very fluffy but certainly not the most competitive. (but fun for sure!)

And- who'd have guessed- it involves buying two of their brand new box!

10 minutes ago, Overread said:

Naw buy one and trade the Flesheaters with a Flesheater player who bought a box ;) 
And its cheaper than buying split kits on ebay. 

That's the plan. Well, not the "buy one" part- I just want the Bombardier, really.  I'm splitting it with a friend. I'll need some of the ghoul arms for more Acolytes though!

Just now, Kirjava13 said:

That's the plan. Well, not the "buy one" part- I just want the Bombardier, really.  I'm splitting it with a friend. I'll need some of the ghoul arms for more Acolytes though!

Aye as I've not got any Skaven it makes far more sense for me to be excited about the box and the deals ^^

Right, I'm facing off against 2000 points of Stormcast tomorrow, and so far I've thrown together the following:

- Warpcog Convocation

• Arch-Warlock

- Arkhspark Voltik

• Warlock Engineer
  • Warp Lightning Cannon

- Gascloud Chokelung

• Warlock Engineer
  • Stormfiends
  • Stormfiends
  • Acolytes (20)

Clanrats (40)*

Warp Lightning Vortex
Balewind Vortex
Soulsnare Shackles

*Store manager practically insisted I still use them. I appreciate that this is not necessarily legal, and I do not care.

I am considering just dropping the battalion. I like the bonus Arkhspark gives you (-1 to the power roll, what was it before?), and the reroll 1s from Gascloud is super useful for the Acolytes given that I'm fighting Stormcast and they won't have any horde units to give me that +1 to hit... but that's 290 points invested... any thoughts?

Alternatively...

• Thanquol (400)
  • Arch-Warlock (160)
  • Warlock Engineer (100)
  • Stormfiends (260)
  • Stormfiends (260)
  • Acolytes (x15) (180)
  • Jezzails (x3) (100)
  • Doomwheel (160)
  • Warp Lightning Cannon (160)
  • Warp Lightning Vortex, Balewind Vortex, Soulsnare Shackles (100, 40, 20)

This list is more, "I want to play with as many different things as possible."

Edited by Kirjava13

@Kirjava13 Looks good... Really curious to see how the Vortex + Shackles combo works out, as well as the 20 Acolytes. Previously Arkhspark let a Cannon shoot in the hero phase but take d6 MW's on a 1-3.. Now that that is somewhat baked in, the -1 to power roll is nice even if you don't overpower it. Gascloud definitely got a huge buff in my opinion over just doing d6 MW's and is why I really want you to show us what those 20 Acolytes re-rolling can do, even if they aren't shooting at a horde. You're still getting +1 to hit from the new allegiance ability while they're at 20 (that isnt't only in the combat phase, is it? )so that should help.

I'll be building some lists when we get the app\warscroll builder updated this weekend hopefully. As I've said before, Thanquol and Warpseer are auto-includes, but I think 6 Jezzails and a WLC will have a place too. But man... that Clanrat tax still stings.

@Kirjava13 I'd go with the second list purely for the fun of it and for trying out loads of stuff with the new book. It looks like a fun list of skyre stuff! Plus Thanquil is a good mage so you've got more chance to shackle and vortex those stormcast! Make them regret coming to war with the boom of thunder when its skaven who hold the bolt of lightning in their grasp! 

I’m avoiding the batallions, partly because I don’t have enough of the right models / load outs to take advantage but mainly because it’s scandalously expensive. When you look at what you get for how much you pay it’s far too much. Having the one drop is a bonus (I think we’ll want to shoot first a lot of the time) but still, all those points for one artefact and a couple of half-decent abilities just doesn’t add up. 

@Noit quite a few are saying its got some value provided you can protect it and get it into range. Wrapping with with clan rats and the like appears to be one way forward since you can't formally hide the team within another unit. 

It's weakness will be its fragile nature and that an opponent who knows what it does will target it; however that means they are ignoring other things! I would say one on its own is a risky gamble because if you lose it you've lost it; a couple or trio would be a nice solid choice as then you've got some redundancy.