AoS 2 - Clan Skyre Discussion

Gaz Taylor

Hey guys.  Any ideas / share photos of how to make different units of Stormfiends unique?  I love the kit. It's like the whole reason I am playing Skyre (though I do love my Ikit claw after we bonded over hours of painful assembly), but all the customization is in the weapons!   Very few "optional accessories" and I don't have many Skyre bits laying around.  I will probably do some minor conversion work so that if I use 3 of the same weapon, it's on 3 different sculpts, but I still don't want 3 units that each have the same 3 guys. 

Would love to hear ideas, see pictures, recommendations on kits that have great bits to tack on (most of my army is second hand, so no bits. I have stormfiends, thanquol, and a verminlord, unassembled. I don't imagine there will be many bits left over from those kits to use) 

2 hours ago, sorokyl said:

Hey guys.  Any ideas / share photos of how to make different units of Stormfiends unique?  I love the kit. It's like the whole reason I am playing Skyre (though I do love my Ikit claw after we bonded over hours of painful assembly), but all the customization is in the weapons!   Very few "optional accessories" and I don't have many Skyre bits laying around.  I will probably do some minor conversion work so that if I use 3 of the same weapon, it's on 3 different sculpts, but I still don't want 3 units that each have the same 3 guys. 

Would love to hear ideas, see pictures, recommendations on kits that have great bits to tack on (most of my army is second hand, so no bits. I have stormfiends, thanquol, and a verminlord, unassembled. I don't imagine there will be many bits left over from those kits to use) 

Hi, same reasoning here.

Here are my 9 kit-bashed ones. (In progress) I just mixed and matched the sculpts and weapons. Sorry about the pictures quality.

IMG_20181212_232419.jpg.780c712eca8343dc093a054f13e9b943.jpgIMG_20181212_232442.jpg.9a9e91f795f7881bab47cb0a326e46e9.jpgIMG_20181212_232506.jpg.e0f5a33748a0178e9166870b9d8ba829.jpgIMG_20181212_232547.jpg.c2efd981219bcaf2f786b215e0bcde73.jpg

Also enclosed my 2 warp-grinder teams using bits from here and there

IMG_20181026_005213.jpg.17006ba0697a221ac26632780bb0e3ac.jpg

All is in-progress (bases will be dark brown mud with black corn/wheat growing on it)

Feedback is welcomed as they are not finished yet!

Cheers

I have seven Stormfiends built so far (3x Warpfire Throwers, 2x Shock Gauntlets, 1x Grinderfists, 1x Ratling Guns) and I've had success mixing and matching the poses, weapons and the heads. The heads need a bit of cutting, chopping and green stuffing, but hey, we're Skaven, this should be second nature to us by now!

What I haven't had any success doing is playing Daughters of Khaine, but I don't want to talk-grumble about it, no-no.

*depressed squeak*

Edited by Kirjava13

• 2 weeks later...
2 hours ago, Baron Wastelands said:

For skryre, I would suggest you’re better off with allegiance artifacts (specifically the warp resonator), so none of them :) 

I would disagree. If you're going to use any Skryre artefacts, Vigordust is typically your best bet outside of getting lucky with a Brass Orb. We already roll d3+3 and most of the time that's plenty since we can only use 1 spark per round. 

@Gdead909 Not saying it's the best, but I like Aqshy for Ignax Scales in particular. They work very well to increase the survivability of the Arch-Warlock in particular. Throw him on a balewind and he's tougher to shift than one might think, all the while he can throw out 2 spells a turn. 

6 hours ago, Gwendar said:

Not saying it's the best, but I like Aqshy for Ignax Scales in particular. They work very well to increase the survivability of the Arch-Warlock in particular. Throw him on a balewind and he's tougher to shift than one might think, all the while he can throw out 2 spells a turn. 

Ooooo I like that idea. Might be making some fire rats!

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

I know everyone is hyped over our new model (and closer to a combination tome) but figured I would post a quick batrep I had today against Ironjawz.

Skaven list
Allegiance: Skryre
Mortal Realm: Aqshy
Arch Warlock (140)
- General
- Trait: Cunning Deceiver
- Artefact: Ignax's Scales 
Warlock Engineer (100)
- Artefact: Vigordust Injector 
Warlock Engineer (100)
3 x Stormfiends (290)
3 x Stormfiends (290)
3 x Stormfiends (290)
40 x Clanrats (200)
- Rusty Blade
- Allies
Warp Lightning Cannon (180)
Warp Lightning Cannon (180)
Clan Skryre (80)
Arkhspark Voltik (70)
Arkhspark Voltik (70)

Total: 1990 / 2000

IJ List
Allegiance: Ironjawz
Mortal Realm: Ulgu
Orruk Megaboss (140)
- General
- Trait: Prophet of the Waaagh! 
- Artefact: Dimensional Blade 
Megaboss on Maw-Krusha (440)
- Boss Gore-hacka and Scrap-tooth
- Artefact: Miasmatic Blade 
Orruk Warchanter (80)
- Artefact: Sword of Judgement 
Orruk Weirdnob Shaman (120)
10 x Orruk Ardboys (160)
- 1x Pair of Choppas or Smashas
- 5x Choppa or Smasha & Shields
- 4x Big Choppas
10 x Orruk Ardboys (160)
- 1x Pair of Choppas or Smashas
- 5x Choppa or Smasha & Shields
- 4x Big Choppas
5 x Orruk Brutes (180)
- Pair of Brute Choppas
5 x Orruk Brutes (180)
- Pair of Brute Choppas
3 x Orruk Gore Gruntas (140)
- Pig-iron Choppas
Ironfist (180)
Bloodtoofs (120)
Chronomantic Cogs (60)
Prismatic Palisade (30)

Total: 1990 / 2000

Long deployment setup, Treasure hunter objective
T1
He finishes setup first and elects me to go first. I get lucky and roll a 6 to get the objective in my zone right away. Rather uneventful first turn aside from getting his army into charge range but did actually manage a charge in with his Goregruntas on my Warpfire fiends, but they took some damage in the process.
20190105_133256.jpg.419fd6db8a9dff551ffd5e1d19d91428.jpg

T2
He gets the double turn, I get ready for the green (orange?) tide of death charges with an army wide 4" extra charge distance with cogs. Maw-Krusha, Brutes #1, and both Ardboys make it into the Clanrat screen for the most part, with 10 Ardboys going after the cannon (but pulling Shock Gauntlet fiends in the process). Clanrat casualties were pretty severe with me losing ~34, but I did pull kills to prevent the Brutes from attacking. Kill all but 1 wound on the Gruntas and most of the Ardboys that charged into the cannon on the right. My turn, and I unleash the Cannons+spells to wipe out the Maw-Krusha and finish off the Ardboys. Unfortunately, both cannons rolled a 1-3 in their hero phase shooting and did 5 MW's to one and brought the other down to 2 wounds left.
20190105_125350.jpg.b7f9a675738a0434257bfc2cb8a21c4f.jpg

T3
Tie on the roll off so he wins and elects to bring in the Brutes. Long story short, they end up doing some damage on both Stormfiend units, losing 1 1/2 models each (those reroll all failed saves are brutal and GREATLY helped him out), but my counter attacks where not so successful and I barely do anything back. I decide to shoot in the hero phase with my gravely wounded Cannons which...got both of them killed. They did manage to kill the Warchanter and whittle down more Brutes in combination with spells and more Warpfire fiends killing most of the Ardboys. Still managing to hold the point, but I could see that I would need to bring in the Grinderfists quickly; Got the roll, not so lucky on the charge into the megaboss however.
20190105_150925.jpg.c80411e2eec29e49390a0132f2531363.jpg

T4
Can't remember all the details for this round as we were a bit distracted by going-ons in the shop but a cliff-notes version: Brutes hurt, kill all but 1 Shock Gauntlet fiend. All 3 of my Wizards back into a corner closer to the objective as the left side is completely lost and start casting\shooting at the 1-2 remaining Brutes on the right side to finish them off for good. Grinderfists manage to reduce Megaboss to 1 wound, he swings back and kills 1 1/2 fiends.

T5
He wins roll off, charges his 3 remaining Brutes into 2 Engineers to try to kill them off so he can win the Objective for having more in range...fortunately, He only kills 1, leaving me with 4 models in range to his 3. We decided to call it there, with a close Skaven Victory.

Thoughts
Overall, I'm very happy with this list. Now, this isn't the final version. I have another 40 Clanrats coming in which should give me a lot more board control and screen potential by sacrificing 1 unit of Fiends (probably the Shock Gauntlets, but unsure). This also lets me get the Arch-Warlock back on a BW which he really belongs on, especially with Ignax Scales. I've tried alternate takes on this using Jezzails instead, but I really never have luck out of them compared to my Cannons which I managed to roll two 1's on power rolls throughout the game. Let me know your thoughts everyone, thanks for reading. Trying to keep these short and sweet unlike my past ones.

20190105_142508.jpg

Edited by Gwendar
  • Like 1
  • LOVE IT! 2

6 hours ago, Num said:

Great report, your list seems simple yet brutal.

If you sacrifice one unit of stormfiends, you won't have the battle line requirements anymore though...

Thanks! Yeah, had I actually got a double turn (and the cannons not killing themselves) they would have been exceptionally brutal.

Oh, and I forgot to say I would bring along 5 Acolytes for tax. Probably will just hold an objective or follow along with a Clanrat pack for some ranged support.

Awesome report Gwendar, really great read and thanks!

Looking at the lists, i really thought you had em covered! If the cannons had a decent day, or you got the double turn as you said, it would have been messy for IJ.

Like the list a lot, good idea bringing in some more meatshields. 

• Like 1

This was a fun a battle, even though I got shafted by the dice when the treasure ended up in @Gwendar's territory. I think my main mistake was wasting the Maw-Krusha on Clan Rats. Oh, there was also the fact of forgetting that he flys up to 12" when unhurt.  Still I got some great charges which really helped tie things up. If I had taken the Maw-Krusha up the left side, I might have had better luck capturing the objective. Still, I got close even with my mistakes. It was good fun.

• Like 1

@Gdead909 I've only dealt with this once with Skryre and lost, but it was close. SCE hate MW's so I just prepared with cannons and Warpfire.. But they still rocked me pretty heavily. If I had the 80 Clanrats I'm now building into to setup a proper screen it would've gone a bit better.

I do agree that for taking out almost anything, shock gauntlets do the job astoundingly well, especially when buffed. Even if you don't have a packmaster, a single use of Vigordust does pretty well. 

With the new dual army box coming (soon), I'm trying to figure out the value in the battlefield of the units in it. I don't know sh*t about skyre but I know this: I love the minis in this box.

So, here are my questions:

1. how many stormfiends minis/unit to build a 2k points army: is this a good unit?

2. same question for the warp canon

3. same question for the wheel.

4. how would you complete this army? (to populate it a bit more, some rats?)

3 hours ago, GeneralZero said:

So, here are my questions:

1. how many stormfiends minis/unit to build a 2k points army: is this a good unit?

2. same question for the warp canon

3. same question for the wheel.

4. how would you complete this army? (to populate it a bit more, some rats?)

It all depends what type of build your going for but in short...

1. Anywhere from 3-9 stormfiends in 2k. Good unit. 

2. 0-2 canons, good unit. Most reliable mw output at range. 

3. Doomwheel is just not that great right now. Too random. Buuuut... I'll be expecting changes to make it more useful soon :)

4. 20-80 clanrats, arch warlock, warlocks, some weapons teams like warpfire throwers and rattling guns

• Thanks 1