AoS 2 - Clan Verminus / Skaven Discussion

Gaz Taylor

1 hour ago, Mayple said:

At the moment I tend to use black-robed plague monks as proxies, because that's the most fitting I have right now ;) With the release of all the new nighthaunt stuff however, there's soooo many flowing robes in high numbers available that converting up full units of knife-wielding hooded killer rats have never been more doable! Gonna start on that project next week. Could keep you posted if you're looking to convert some gutter runners of your own? 

Not a bad idea, as I have no interest in running Plague Monks or anything Pestilensy. Just not fond of them. Idk, I feel like I'm in the minority. Outside of Pestilens allegiance I don't see the synergy. 

I love ninja rats and wish they got more love. Ambush and deepstrike is such a good mechanic to have. Are gutter runners worth it over night runners? With my army I sort of want a representative of each clan, pretty much, so this sounds good for Eshin. Moulder may be hard, though, as they have lackluster models. Ugh. 

So far that idea I have

Verminus: Clanrats, Warlord, optional Stormvermin, optional Warbringer

Skryre: Stormfiends, Warpfire teams, Lightning Cannon, optional Acolytes or Jezzails

Eshin: Assassin, Gutter Runners or Night Runners

Pestilens: Likely only the Corruptor, as he's the best Verminlord in my book. 

Masterclan: Grey Seer, optional Screaming Bell (for funsies) 

How do I make a good list around this idea? 

2 hours ago, Mayple said:

At the moment I tend to use black-robed plague monks as proxies, because that's the most fitting I have right now ;) With the release of all the new nighthaunt stuff however, there's soooo many flowing robes in high numbers available that converting up full units of knife-wielding hooded killer rats have never been more doable! Gonna start on that project next week. Could keep you posted if you're looking to convert some gutter runners of your own? 

I would very much be keen to see how they turn out.

I saw someone convert a Blood Bowl team to look like Gutter Runners. Most of them have punch daggers or claws of some kind, even the Blitzers look deece.

images(4).jpg

• Like 3

Hi guys,

i was wondering if you could maybe give me your opinion to this skaven list 7D99E147-DFFC-4395-81F6-6D68D8FB4A15.png.f306abffa13e3d90a0d8a8a8946f4fc1.pngsince the sword of judgement seems to be a very good artifact, I started thinking, of how I could use it very afficently, and by doing so, I remembered that a packmasters can give +1 to hit to a skaven Moulder unit (which bonusses also stack)

in other words I gave the sword to a packmasters with blade and whip which does 3attacks, and since he is a Moulder unit, I can literally tey buff him up like crazy.

the verminlords rd deceiver than can skitterleap this little fellow behind enemy lines and in charge range of any nasty hero’s.

a packmasters might not look very scary in  combat, but giving  him the sword will, make him a beast, since he will now give any hero d6 mortal wounds on a to hit role of 2?.

Edited by Skreech Verminking
  • Like 1

41 minutes ago, Skreech Verminking said:

Hi guys,

i was wondering if you could maybe give me your opinion to this skaven list 7D99E147-DFFC-4395-81F6-6D68D8FB4A15.png.f306abffa13e3d90a0d8a8a8946f4fc1.pngsince the sword of judgement seems to be a very good artifact, I started thinking, of how I could use it very afficently, and by doing so, I remembered that a packmasters can give +1 to hit to a skaven Moulder unit (which bonusses also stack)

in other words I gave the sword to a packmasters with blade and whip which does 3attacks, and since he is a Moulder unit, I can literally tey buff him up like crazy.

the verminlords rd deceiver than can skitterleap this little fellow behind enemy lines and in charge range of any nasty hero’s.

a packmasters might not look very scary in  combat, but giving  him the sword will, make him a beast, since he will now give any hero d6 mortal wounds on a to hit role of 2?.

I think it will only make the d6 on a 5+ if you whip the packmaster. Even then, I'm not sure it will work because sword of judgement says "if the hit roll is a 6+". You would be hitting with the whip on a 2+, but would the range of the sword of judgement also be increased? I don't know.

Other than that,good to see some moulder list :)

Some ideas perhaps: an allied plague priest would extend the rang of the rat ogors wounds (and therefore hits). Perhaps the list may also lack sone long range sniping but you don't have much space left.

Cheers

• Like 1

8 hours ago, RaritanAnon said:

Not a bad idea, as I have no interest in running Plague Monks or anything Pestilensy. Just not fond of them. Idk, I feel like I'm in the minority. Outside of Pestilens allegiance I don't see the synergy. 

I love ninja rats and wish they got more love. Ambush and deepstrike is such a good mechanic to have. Are gutter runners worth it over night runners? With my army I sort of want a representative of each clan, pretty much, so this sounds good for Eshin. Moulder may be hard, though, as they have lackluster models. Ugh. 

So far that idea I have

Skryre: Stormfiends, Warpfire teams, Lightning Cannon, optional Acolytes or Jezzails

Picking a Packmaster as you Moulder representative seems efficient. It will buff the stormfiends

For Pestilens, plague priests are awesome

Your "council of 6" heroes could be Grey Seer, Warlord, Arch-Warlock, Skaven Assassin, Plague Priest, and Packmaster. They are all amazing foot heroes, so not very large on the battlefield though. But they all have good stats and abilities. You could even model them with some common signs showing they belong to the same council :D

Or put the grey seer on the screaming bell and hide all olthe other heroes behind, in between clanrats. "Everyone chills behind the bell".

Inspiring... I might do it myself as well :D

Edited by Num
  • Like 2

31 minutes ago, Num said:

I think it will only make the d6 on a 5+ if you whip the packmaster. Even then, I'm not sure it will work because sword of judgement says "if the hit roll is a 6+". You would be hitting with the whip on a 2+, but would the range of the sword of judgement also be increased? I don't know.

Other than that,good to see some moulder list :)

Some ideas perhaps: an allied plague priest would extend the rang of the rat ogors wounds (and therefore hits). Perhaps the list may also lack sone long range sniping but you don't have much space left.

Cheers

Well the idea is to whip him with 4other packmasters in the first round.

since their ability stacks, it will be possible to activate the sword of judg. On a +2

1 minute ago, Skreech Verminking said:

since their ability stacks, it will be possible to activate the sword of judg. On a +2

Lol that is insane. A flagellants Moulder clan...

• Like 1

19 minutes ago, Skreech Verminking said:

I've been thinking about the same thing with the packmasters, but I hadn't considered the Deceiver combo. Very nice ;)

It's doubly great since it means you can't fail the charge at all due to the charge bonus you receive. 

If you're able to test it in action, then do tell us how it goes! My only concern about the list is that it seems a bit squishy (less than 200 wounds)

Spoiler
3 hours ago, Skreech Verminking said:

Hi guys,

I think it's alot of points for a failable "one shot".

You can fail the Skitterleap cast, Skitterleap can be unbound, shooting in the first turn may kill your 3 Wounds Packmaster, you only deal 8,75 MW avaerage, with a 12% chance to deal 4 or less wounds, so not even killing somthing small.

As sidenote: Your general may not be allied.

4 hours ago, Drib said:
  Reveal hidden contents

I think it's alot of points for a failable "one shot".

You can fail the Skitterleap cast, Skitterleap can be unbound, shooting in the first turn may kill your 3 Wounds Packmaster, you only deal 8,75 MW avaerage, with a 12% chance to deal 4 or less wounds, so not even killing somthing small.

As sidenote: Your general may not be allied.

Well most armys I know of usually aren’t interested in taking the first turn.

but your right my packmaster is definitely very squishy, and there is always a possibility of rolling two 1 for a casting attempt.

as for Unbindung.

the best trick her is just to stay out of 30inches of any other wizards or hero’s which can unbind.

and should it not work than well I guess I’ll be back with more horde style skaven fluff wise armys.

(still thinking, of taking my 240 clanrats and 80giant Rats to the Warhammer Fest tournament)

oh i just noticed it too, that the verminlord deceiver can’t be your Warlord (since he is allied in).

well my mistake, ?

thanks for noticing ???

18 hours ago, robbobobo said:

Well, you've talked me into thinking that I need Gutter Runners and an Assassin, yes-yes.

More of a hobby question but what do you all use for Gutter Runners? OG GW, third-party or conversion work?

I use Night runners models (as I don't field them anyway it's clearly visible and a lot cheaper ;) )

16 hours ago, RaritanAnon said:

So far that idea I have

What about some rat swarms and a packmaster (Mostly for the stormfiends)? With the new rules you can add one every turn even without paying for the extras. Makes a good roadblock :) 

Hello-hi everyone around here,

a friend of mine and me are going to enter Age of Sigmar. We both don't have very much time and decided to start with Skirmish in order to have some nice Minis and something playable quite soon. I already bought some stuff like the Skirimish-Rules, the Path to Glory Book, some Battletome (not Skaven Pestilens yet), but everything only pre 2.0. Now I wonder what I would really need to buy. As far as I can see, the Core Rules are still free, the Warscrolls are also free and online, and we will skip stuff like Battalions and Artifacts for the first Games. So the only thing, that got me wondering wether I need buy Grand Alliance Chaos or the Skaven Pestilens Battletime was the Fact that I had so difficulties to get my hands on the Deathrunner Warscroll and wasn't able to find a Warscroll for the Giant Rats (outside of the Compendium).

So my question is: How much does a Skaven Player really need the Grand Alliance Chaos Book and the Skaven Pestilens Battletome in order to start playing (I want to by the Battletome anyway. but would prefer to spend my money on minis fist, hehe)?

Thanks-thanks everyone!

I only have the general's handbook and I feel it's enough to play my Skavens (I play all clans but pestilens). The GHB has all the updated allegiance abilities and point costs. The warscrolls are online for free (most of them).

If they one day release a Skaven battletome, I might reconsider, though :)

However, to play skirmish you would need the skirmish book.

Cheers

• Like 2

Core rulebook and generals handbook 2018 sorts you out nicely, allowing you to play whatever skaven you want. The chaos allegiance abilities are found in the core rulebook if you want to play mixed skaven ;) pestilens and skryre in the general's handbook.

Battletome: Pestilens doesn't actually contain any rules besides some narrative battleplans. Good to keep in mind. 

And most importantly: the age of Sigmar app, and the warhammer community scrollbuilder are your best friends of all time. Use them. Love them.

Edited by Mayple
  • Like 1

Hi guys I’ll be trying tomorrow a tournament list against a friend of mine out.

i am going mostly after a hordestyle army but still keeping some elites with me as well as some weapon teams which can give some hurt to decimator and all other kind of heavily armoured units.

as for the 5gutter runners, they will probably just be objective holders, taking it in the first turn and dying afterwords0A9B61AD-5157-4C37-AAD6-57194C26BBB5.png.1b1b8d4e51d51e171d508870f0955d2e.pngnot sure how it will work but Only time can tell.

• Like 2

On 7/29/2018 at 12:15 AM, robbobobo said:

Well, you've talked me into thinking that I need Gutter Runners and an Assassin, yes-yes.

More of a hobby question but what do you all use for Gutter Runners? OG GW, third-party or conversion work?

Since I said I would get back to you once I tried it:

Here is a prototype. Grimghast Reaper body, blood bowl night runner body. Clanrat head and right arm. Plague monk left arm. There's a huge gap on the inside between the body and the head (head is just attached to the robes) so I'll need to use a bunch of green stuff when I mass produce these guys. 

Overall a tricky conversion, but I think it serves well as proper gutter runners :)

DSC_0041.JPG

DSC_0042.JPG

DSC_0039.JPG

• Like 3

I really hope for Skaven BB Booster pack with additional Gutter runners. It would be easier to build a unit.

EDIT: I noticed Blitzers would be perfect for Deathrunner as they both have the same pose. With two packs and (hypothetical) booster pack you cold build small Eshin warband.

EDIT2: Booster pack already exists! That's really nice. Pity it's from FW as I don't have experience with resin (and it costs as much as whole team).

Edited by michu
  • Like 3

Whats the opinion on the age old adage of Hand Weapons vs. Spears for Clanrats? The way I see it, it's burst damage vs sustain. You're always going to hit better with hand weapons, whereas with spears you're reliant on buffs to do much. From what math I've seen, if you can reliably get more dudes in combat, such as against 32mm or 40mm based enemies, spears are better. Blades are better versus everything else. Does this make sense?

35 minutes ago, RaritanAnon said:

Whats the opinion on the age old adage of Hand Weapons vs. Spears for Clanrats? The way I see it, it's burst damage vs sustain. You're always going to hit better with hand weapons, whereas with spears you're reliant on buffs to do much. From what math I've seen, if you can reliably get more dudes in combat, such as against 32mm or 40mm based enemies, spears are better. Blades are better versus everything else. Does this make sense?

Yup

Without going too deep, I bring both and use them for different things. Hand weapons go after units, spears go hunting for large based things

Edited by bushman101

5 hours ago, RaritanAnon said:

I always bring squad one with spears and one with swords. And to be totally honest I never felt one really outshined the other consistently. More due to dice rolls then anything else. I will say this though. We play with a lot of terrain, and I often use a big block, 300 style to block a pass. And then spears win because I can keep the unit static longer without losing to many attacks. 

Hey guys new aos player, but long term follower of the horned rat. Just come back from the blockout event in cardiff today for my first proper aos tournament and one thing that struck me as odd was that there were nearly 100 gamers in attendance and i was the only person i could see that had any skaven at all. Are we just biding our time? As I finished fairly well and seems that the army is really underrated, any reasons or thoughts on this?

may do a quick break down of my games at the event and review if people are interested as well

• Like 4

8 minutes ago, AliKing said:

Hey guys new aos player, but long term follower of the horned rat. Just come back from the blockout event in cardiff today for my first proper aos tournament and one thing that struck me as odd was that there were nearly 100 gamers in attendance and i was the only person i could see that had any skaven at all. Are we just biding our time? As I finished fairly well and seems that the army is really underrated, any reasons or thoughts on this?

may do a quick break down of my games at the event and review if people are interested as well

People don't appreciate Skaven like they should. But they will. Oh yes, they will! ;) We got buffed in aos2, but it has mostly gone under the radar. Make no mistake, skaven armies are no push-overs if played correctly, and will surprise most opponents one way or another. 

Do elaborate on how it went. We're always happy to hear how other Skaven players play around here. 

Edited by Mayple