AoS 2 - Clan Verminus / Skaven Discussion

Gaz Taylor

Here is the new thread for discussing Clan Verminus / Skaven. With the imminent release of AoS 2 (and a lot of the info already being out there), now is the time for us to start afresh on TGA.

Moving forward, this will be the main thread to chat about and discuss Clan Verminus / Skaven in the new edition. I still wholly encourage people to keep their own threads/army blogs within this sub forum and I also think those are a great place to share some photos as I know not everyone frequents the Painting & Modelling section. But this thread is purely for discussion around the faction, things such as (but not limited to) tactics and list building etc. You all know the drill, we've been doing it on this forum since inception!

For newer players, I would say the older thread could still be worth perusal and whilst it is now locked for further replies, you can find it here - http://www.tga.community/forums/topic/16063-lets-chat-verminus/

Really excited to see what we can come up with as a community and I look forward to reading all your ideas and thoughts.

So i have a verminlord kit. I thought about doing a deceiver to mix in with my verminus/mixed skaven, but skitterleap only works on heroes, and I'm not persuaded by Warhammer Community's constant mention of deceiver+thanquol. If you teleport thanquol somewhere useful and do 2d6 MW, next combat round he's a gonner, and you could waste him on a really low roll, so it's not worth it.  Any ideas of what would be the best? I have two separate (sort of) skaven forces- Pestilens with 80 monks and a verminus with 40 clanrats, 20 stormvermin and all the flavours of warlord (on brood horror, on foot, and skritch) along with a mix of moulder, skryre and eshin stuff. 

• Chris Tomlin changed the title to AoS 2 - Clan Verminus / Skaven Discussion
4 hours ago, hughwyeth said:

So i have a verminlord kit. I thought about doing a deceiver to mix in with my verminus/mixed skaven, but skitterleap only works on heroes, and I'm not persuaded by Warhammer Community's constant mention of deceiver+thanquol. If you teleport thanquol somewhere useful and do 2d6 MW, next combat round he's a gonner, and you could waste him on a really low roll, so it's not worth it.  Any ideas of what would be the best? I have two separate (sort of) skaven forces- Pestilens with 80 monks and a verminus with 40 clanrats, 20 stormvermin and all the flavours of warlord (on brood horror, on foot, and skritch) along with a mix of moulder, skryre and eshin stuff. 

ideal case: magnetize/pin the ****** out of the parts so you can have any verminlord you want (different heads will require making molds). Flavor case: looks like your skaven heart wishes to wanna run verminous, go Warbringer. Utility case: In a box, the deceiver is a straight up destroyer. He is a hero killer with the ability to move himself into the most effective combats and get a free retreat all with skitterleap. The rest I would argue are still fun. I recently discovered that the Corrupter synergizes still with clan verminous as its Command ability ability gives ANY skaven unit an extra attack (stacks with warlords ability). Good luck. 

@hughwyeth The Verminlord Corruptor and Warpseer are the best all-around Verminlords. The Deceiver is good by itself, but a true beast when supporting gutter runners due to it's command ability. Warbringer is nice, but a bit on the expensive side for what it does; I've focused on Verminus most of this year, and I've rarely been able to justify bringing him, mostly due to his command ability being 'models within' and his unique spell being an unbindable, worse version of the plague furnace prayer. 

@Riff_Raff_Rascal is also very on point.

At the end of the day, I'd suggest doing your own thing with the head, since that's where you can 'make it your own' and magnitizing the arms if you're unable to decide. 

Mind that the giant glaive helps balance the model a lot, so have a solid terrain alternative if you're not using it, or it will fall off it's base repedeately ;)

Fun fact: With the 'Blade of Judgement' Artifact from Ulgu in the new edition, the Corruptor becomes an absolute monster in combat versus heroes and other monsters. Other artifacts from other realms also serve to make him really dangerous. A hidden gem, that one :)

Edited by Mayple
  • Like 1

I think the Grey Seer + Warpseer + Portal will be clutch. Thats 44" spell range I think.

Being able to shut down a units movement from that far could wreck havoc on an opponents strategy as well as sprinkle in some MWs. Plus the Gret Seer has a ****** version of the Gaunts horde clearly spell

• Like 1

I have some for Skaven from a barely legible pic, I verfied via reddit hoping someone could read better than I :)

Skaven:

Eshin Verminlord Deceiver 300p

Skryre Doomwheel 120p

Stormfiends 290p

Warpgrinder 80p

Skryre Battalion 80p

Engine Coven 70p

pestilens:fournace 180p

catapult 160p

• Like 1

Squeak!

Clans Eshin
 • Deathrunner: 120
 • Skaven Assassin: 100
 • Verminlord Deceiver: 300
 • Gutter Runners: 60/200
 • Night Runners: 100/360

Clans Moulder
 • Hell Pit Abomination: 220
 • Packmaster: 60
 • Giant Rats: 60/200
 • Rat Ogors: 100
 • Rat Swarms: 110

Clans Pestilens
 • Plagueclaw: 160
 • Plague Priest w/ plague censer: 80
 • Plague Priest w/ staff: 80
 • Plague Furnace: 180
 • Verminlord Corruptor: 220
 • Plague Censer Bearers: 60
 • Plague Monks: 70/240
 • Congregation of Filth: 170
 • Foulrain Congregation: 190
 • Plaguesmog Congregation: 140
 • Virulent Procession: 160

Clans Skryre
 • Warp Lightning Cannon: 180
 • Warplock Jezzails: 140
 • Doomwheel: 120
 • Arch-Warlock: 140
 • Warlock Engineer: 100
 • Ratling Gun: 80
 • Warp Grinder: 80
 • Warpfire Thrower: 70
 • Poison Wind Mortar: 60
 • Doom Flayer: 60
 • Acolytes: 60/320
 • Stormfiends: 290
 • Clan Skryre: 80
 • Arkhspark Voltik: 70
 • Gascloud Chokelung: 70
 • Gautfyre Skorch: 150
 • Rattlegauge Warplock: 70
 • Whyrlblade Threshik: 70

Clans Verminus
 • Clanrats: 120/200
 • Warlord: 100
 • Verminlord Warbringer: 280
 • Stormvermin: 140/500 (definitely a mistake)

Masterclan
 • Grey Seer: 100
 • Lord Skreech Verminkin: 300
 • Screaming Bell: 200
 • Thanquol and Boneripper: 400
 • Verminlord Warpseer: 260

• Like 4

@Kirjava13 You are the chosen one! 

Immediate thoughts:

- I've seen/heard that Plague Priests go up to 100 now, but your list here has them on 80. Typo on your part, or false rumour? 

- If they keep the Screaming Bell at 200, and the Warplightning cannon at 180, Pestilens has gotten a serious point drop, even compared to their counterparts.

- Loving the 100 point Grey Seer. 

- That 290 Stormfiend cost is just GW teasing us, surely. They know we'd want Stormfiend + 2 packmasters, but no! We'd be 10 points too far for that! :P

Pestilens and Moulder are the clear overal champions here ;) But so many quality-of-life point drops makes Skaven life great-great regardless of clan affiliation. 

Edited by Mayple

Just now, Kirjava13 said:

@Mayple no typo on my part- can't speak for the good folks at G-Dubz though, especially not given that Stormvermin snafu! Both variants of Plague Priest are still sitting pretty (pestilent?) at 80 points. 

That's incredible. I figured the overal point drops would even out with the plague priest increase, but if it's the same then.. well.. It's a great time to get into Pestilence, clearly :D

I do enjoy the fact that clanrats/giant rats are now amongst the few units, if not the only one, sitting at 40 rats for 200 points. Maybe challenged by Ungors or something? Good times. Good times! Skaven hordes are now truly amongst the cheapest.

• Like 1

I think I've made a mixed skaven list I'm happy with. Skaven warlord and Deathrunner get +2 to save against shooting from look out sir, warlords shield (only 1 dmg attacks, but its something) and Deathrunner's passive. VL Deceiver  skitterleaps a wizard close enough to cast pendulum deep and run back after (skaven style). Chaos Sorcerer Lord (modeled as a skaven horned rat fanatic on rat mount) gives rerolling hits, wounds, and saves of one to the clanrat units who are spitting out 80 attacks with the warlords gnash gnaw buff. Engineer and cannons supply MW.  Deathrunner grants two 6 inch battleshock immunity bubbles with crown of command because of his ability to split. Finally I have the option of taking 2 WF throwers for more MW, 2 ratling guns for anti horde, or 10 gutter runners for alpha strike/ shutting down a key hero or crippling a unit. Now I just have to figure out how to convert some nice looking gutter runners. ?

Chaos Allegiance

• Skaven Warlord (general)     100
  • Deathrunner (crown of command)     120
  • Chaos Sorcerer Lord     160
  • Verminlord Deceiver     300
  • Warlock Engineer     100
  • 40 Clanrats x3     600
  • 2 Warplightning Cannon     360
  • Pendulum     40

Options:

• 2 Warpfire Throwers (140) for total 1920 +1CP
  • 2 Ratling Guns (160) for total 1940 +1CP
  • 10 Gutter Runners (120) for total 1900 +2CP

Thoughts/suggestions?

Edited by Verminlord
spelling

17 hours ago, Kirjava13 said:

Squeak!

Clans Eshin
 • Deathrunner: 120
 • Skaven Assassin: 100
 • Verminlord Deceiver: 300
 • Gutter Runners: 60/200
 • Night Runners: 100/360

Clans Moulder
 • Hell Pit Abomination: 220
 • Packmaster: 60
 • Giant Rats: 60/200
 • Rat Ogors: 100
 • Rat Swarms: 110

Clans Pestilens
 • Plagueclaw: 160
 • Plague Priest w/ plague censer: 80
 • Plague Priest w/ staff: 80
 • Plague Furnace: 180
 • Verminlord Corruptor: 220
 • Plague Censer Bearers: 60
 • Plague Monks: 70/240
 • Congregation of Filth: 170
 • Foulrain Congregation: 190
 • Plaguesmog Congregation: 140
 • Virulent Procession: 160

Clans Skryre
 • Warp Lightning Cannon: 180
 • Warplock Jezzails: 140
 • Doomwheel: 120
 • Arch-Warlock: 140
 • Warlock Engineer: 100
 • Ratling Gun: 80
 • Warp Grinder: 80
 • Warpfire Thrower: 70
 • Poison Wind Mortar: 60
 • Doom Flayer: 60
 • Acolytes: 60/320
 • Stormfiends: 290
 • Clan Skryre: 80
 • Arkhspark Voltik: 70
 • Gascloud Chokelung: 70
 • Gautfyre Skorch: 150
 • Rattlegauge Warplock: 70
 • Whyrlblade Threshik: 70

Clans Verminus
 • Clanrats: 120/200
 • Warlord: 100
 • Verminlord Warbringer: 280
 • Stormvermin: 140/500 (definitely a mistake)

Masterclan
 • Grey Seer: 100
 • Lord Skreech Verminkin: 300
 • Screaming Bell: 200
 • Thanquol and Boneripper: 400
 • Verminlord Warpseer: 260

Well I’m not sure,  but the 500 for the stormvermins could maybe also be a 300.

from the picture I found 

0541C99B-FBE7-4AD2-AE42-CEA3FF2EE8E0.png

Edited by Skreech Verminking

It absolutely has to be just a mistake in copying across either the old max-size unit discount to the new table, or an erroneous reduction in the unit size to 30 instead of 40. As it stands, a block of 30 stormvermin would cost 80 points more than three blocks of 10 would. I'd anticipate it getting reduced to 400, although even then it seems a bit strange for 2018 GW to make a max unit size of 30 for something which they only sell in batches of 20. 

Either way, they are quite overcosted for what they bring to the table. The rend is nice, but I doubt we'll be seeing a lot of stormvermin. There really needs to be something that gives us a reason to bring them, like a verminus clawpack or another battalion. 

55 minutes ago, Kugane said:

Either way, they are quite overcosted for what they bring to the table. The rend is nice, but I doubt we'll be seeing a lot of stormvermin. There really needs to be something that gives us a reason to bring them, like a verminus clawpack or another battalion. 

I agree. That's one heck of a typo - I actually hope they stay at 40/500 rather than 30/400. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Mayple said:

I agree. That's one heck of a typo - I actually hope they stay at 40/500 rather than 30/400. 

1 hour ago, TheMuphinMan said:

I'm all for them being 30 for 300

30 for 300 would make them playable :D, I hope that becomes a thing :). I really need an excuse to buy some new stormvermin to repaint a new unit :D

• Like 1

40 minutes ago, Num said:

I've got 40 which I rarely play too... Plus I find them horrible to paint because each is as detailed as a hero... I guess they ll have to gather some more dust

I'm thinking about turning my 40 Stormvermin into 2x20 Plague Censor bearers. Comparable combat stats, and could be a cool conversion. I'll wait and see how everything looks after the release date before I commit. 

Their level of detail is the selling point for me :o

Unfortunately Stormvermin are, indeed, 30 for 500 unless they change in the FAQ two weeks admitting to a mistake. Otherwise I'm left wondering why they would drop the max unit size and not change the max cost.

EDIT: Not sure why the image here is not as good as the zoomed in one on Imgur... Here's the full leak, it's the 5th image down.

TTpVOEy.jpg

Edited by robbobobo
Link post
  • Sad 2