AoS 2 - Clan Verminus / Skaven Discussion

Gaz Taylor

I'm running a Skaven mixed Chaos list at the NZ Masters tournament in just over a week, I'll post here about how it goes. 

I'm not expecting to win many games, we have a lot of very good players here and I'm still relatively new to wargaming.

I know this list is not optimal but it is a shitload of fun to play even when losing.

cbe982343ae34f302df10fc69d4d2198.1542178834.jpg

• Haha 2

edit: Whoops, posted to wrong thread. I have a question for this thread I'll replace with. 

What's more fun / versatile to purchase first to supplement my skaven:  Thanquol and Boneripper or a Verminlord (assuming I magnetize weapon).  I want to play Mixed Skaven and Skyre lists both. 

Edited by sorokyl

4 hours ago, sorokyl said:

edit: Whoops, posted to wrong thread. I have a question for this thread I'll replace with. 

What's more fun / versatile to purchase first to supplement my skaven:  Thanquol and Boneripper or a Verminlord (assuming I magnetize weapon).  I want to play Mixed Skaven and Skyre lists both. 

Thanquol can be good, but I find Verminlords to be the most useful for their points. Current favorites are the Warpgnaw, Deceiver and Warpseer, but they all have their merits depending on the list.

If you don't want to bring Clanrats to a pure Skryre list, I have found that a Warpseer is a good inclusion to generate free giant rats, especially since as pure Skryre you generally don't spend as much CP on things. Noted that I would still bring at least 40 Clanrats. Outside of that, the Corrupter can be great at hero killing with Sword of Judgement in particular and the Warbringer is a decently killy buffing unit for hordes.

7 hours ago, bitchparty said:

I'm running a Skaven mixed Chaos list at the NZ Masters tournament in just over a week, I'll post here about how it goes. 

I'm not expecting to win many games, we have a lot of very good players here and I'm still relatively new to wargaming.

I know this list is not optimal but it is a shitload of fun to play even when losing.

Good luck then.

9 hours ago, bitchparty said:

Haha poor Biden

• 2 weeks later...
10 hours ago, Skreech Verminking said:

It depends what op means to you.

if your interested in only winning, your best bet would be playing 320Plague monks and a plague priest.

As for a more fun approach, while beeing still competitive, I’d just go with mixed.

list I’ve build mostly consist of at least 120clanrats. Stormfiends with shockgauntlets buffed by 2-3packmasters. Stormvermins etc. A more horde approach.

If you guys are really interested in some amazing lists, come over to the Verminus chatforum. We can answer  your question and talk about your approach to the skaven faction and ideas you have for a new list there.

ps: another list i did use on a tournament was playing around with 320clanrats 1skaven warlord and 2plague priest.

the good thing about such an army is that you’ll always hold the objective, next to that you’ll be denying enough place for deepstrike or a game chancing charge from flying army’s like the deepkins.

the reason why I only played it ones at such an event was, the struggle of moving every model, inch by inch. 

Also you mostly don’t have enough time to finish the forth round.

Lets talk about this middle list idea with clan rats stormvermin and stormfiends. Sounds spectacular!

Hey there guys, 

I am seriously considering skaven as my next army. I've always had a love for the rats. I love the models and think they could be really fun. 

Before I get started I do have a few questions. This is mostly based towards a competitive environment however, all feedback is appreciated. 

I would either go mixed skaven or clan pestilence is either more competitive or are they roughly equal? 

1) How does the army play? Fast? Slow? Camp objectives? Defensive? Offensive? Hard hitting or wet noodle? Do units die to a slight breeze? Or put up a good fight? 

2) what are the good match ups/bad match ups? Good scenarios/bad scenarios? 

3) does the army need allies to succeed? 

4) How competitive if at all would you say the army is? 

5) What would a typical list look like?

I'm thinking three blocks of 40 clan rats supported by some hero's? 

7 minutes ago, EchoHavoc said:

Hey there guys, 

I am seriously considering skaven as my next army. I've always had a love for the rats. I love the models and think they could be really fun. 

Before I get started I do have a few questions. This is mostly based towards a competitive environment however, all feedback is appreciated. 

I would either go mixed skaven or clan pestilence is either more competitive or are they roughly equal? 

1) How does the army play? Fast? Slow? Camp objectives? Defensive? Offensive? Hard hitting or wet noodle? Do units die to a slight breeze? Or put up a good fight? 

2) what are the good match ups/bad match ups? Good scenarios/bad scenarios? 

3) does the army need allies to succeed? 

4) How competitive if at all would you say the army is? 

5) What would a typical list look like?

I'm thinking three blocks of 40 clan rats supported by some hero's? 

Personally I think mixed Chaos is better than Pestilens. It's hard going up against battletome armies, but one of the best players in Australia plays mixed Chaos Skaven and often podiums so it can be done.

1) Not slow, but there are much faster armies out there. Can hit hard with mortal wounds (Wizards, Stormfiends) and some very good combat units (Plague Monks), but not a lot of durability. 

2) Good scenarios are ones where objectives are 'most models within six' based, since we have a lot of bodies. Bad match ups are anything that targets bravery.

3) Mixed Chaos can't have allies. Skryre or Pestilens will often benefit from allying in 40 clanrats.

5) Lots of Clanrats, some heros and lots of clanrats.

• Like 1

Anyone whose seen my hobby ADHD thread may know that I've been trying to talk myself out of Skaven for a little while now and then I saw these guys:

V78f0Sq.png

Mixing in a painting video I saw for white furred Skaven that painted them like they had fur all over and basically I'm looking at recycling some skeleton model stuff into model stuff for these guys as a Shyish based Skaven army built around either a GA: Chaos army (because mixed rats are best rats). 

That just leaves me wondering what the best way to start Skaven for a complete newbie is. I basically like everything they have (well, save for some of the older sculpts with their weird monkey arms, those are clearly tiny men dressed in rubber rat suits and not Skaven) but the army is a bit overwhelming to jump into.

• Like 1

Went to get food and ended up with order number 13. Clearly the Great Horned Rat is trying to speak to me...

I'm less worried about how much this will cost me because of a weird insistence on only playing painted, but definitely need some idea on where to start building from so I don't just jump into buying all the big things I like first. Basically I'm asking for some guidance before I go full in with things like Verminlords and Boneripper before getting into other units.

2 hours ago, Fulkes said:

Went to get food and ended up with order number 13. Clearly the Great Horned Rat is trying to speak to me...

I'm less worried about how much this will cost me because of a weird insistence on only playing painted, but definitely need some idea on where to start building from so I don't just jump into buying all the big things I like first. Basically I'm asking for some guidance before I go full in with things like Verminlords and Boneripper before getting into other units.

Well just like Michu said, the Sc (start collecting) Pestilens isn’t a bad idea. 

It’ll give ya an option for a screaming bell and a warplightning cannon instead of the pestilens stuff if your after such kind of things.

aslo looking on eBay for some good old spite of dawn sets, (or blood island kits) might not be a bad thing, if your lucky you might even get them very cheap.

(should it cost more in total, I’d just go with building your own weapon teams out of clanrats, and buying a ton of meatshields (clanrats)).

Your next step could be than to buy any kind of elite unit or  something monstrous. (Well or you could just stick with clanrats and play 300++of them)

Ps:elite is in my eyes anything that aren’t clanrats or giant rats.

Thanks for the feedback! I think my very first purchase is going to be a box from Warhammer Underworlds and a box of Skulls to give me some room to play around with conversion stuff but that's probably a given. The SC box is probably not a bad place to branch out into from there (after I've done some test models and maybe converted some things into HQ models or characters for some units or something) but knowing me I'm probably going to spend a fair bit going over every unit available to a Grand Alliance army and writing up my thoughts on everything. This sort of note taking thing lets me learn the army better and if anyone is interested I could always post it here too.

• Like 1

Hi guys, will be playing a 2000p game of aos against a good old buddy of mine.

Since he insisted of playing very competitive wise, well I choose to take some of our most feared units with me.

heres my list:

ps: stormfiends are equipped with shock gauntlets (1unit) an warpfire throwers.

1FE70372-1E0D-46C4-B034-A5CE2C4A5953.png

Edited by Skreech Verminking
  • Like 1

21 minutes ago, Gwendar said:

@Skreech Verminking Strange to see a Skaven list without any wizards in this day and age but it doesn't always matter really I guess. What army is your friend playing? Curious to see how it goes so be sure to let us know.

Hopefully you can keep that Plague Priest hidden away well enough to avoid being sniped since he's carrying your crown. 

I’ll be playing against magotkinn.

The reason why the plague priest became my well warlord and got the artefact, is well, he is the only not named character who has at least 5wounds in my army.

Sadly giving the crown to a packmasters would mean Sertain death turn 1 for  him.

also, I don’t really like sorcery to much, most of the time I fail it or my spells get unbound. To  own a 100point caster, so I’d be able to try to unbind some worthless spell isn’t the points worth in my eyes.

Edited by Skreech Verminking

So I'm going to probably run down to my FLGS after work and grab a Spiteclaw box and a box of skulls for extra conversion bits and see if I can get fully into the project before I go crazy on a high of warpstone and primer fumes. I'm thinking that Spiteclaw might make for a decent Grey Seer with some conversion (turning the spear into a staff, stealing Arkhan's smokey rock to be a bit of warpstone smoking off the end and giving him horns) but he is a little more armoured looking so should he be a Warlord instead?

5 minutes ago, michu said:

Well, you could always say that your Grey Seer is trying to protect himself against old merry skaven tradition "Blade-in-the-back".

It's a family tradition that has been passed down for generations!

A little more seriously though, I've always suspected that Grey Seers have some form of armour under their robes...

3 hours ago, Fulkes said:

So I'm going to probably run down to my FLGS after work and grab a Spiteclaw box and a box of skulls for extra conversion bits and see if I can get fully into the project before I go crazy on a high of warpstone and primer fumes. I'm thinking that Spiteclaw might make for a decent Grey Seer with some conversion (turning the spear into a staff, stealing Arkhan's smokey rock to be a bit of warpstone smoking off the end and giving him horns) but he is a little more armoured looking so should he be a Warlord instead?

Do you just like Spiteclaw model more than those? Because technically it is more expensive than both A warlord and a Grey Seer.    On ebay you can find many classic grey seer and warlord models if you don't like the current plastic ones.   Scoring a ebay collection is a great way to start a skaven army, then fill in with whatever you didn't get.  (of course unless you want to assemble all your own models, even then some collections have many unassembled models)

Hello, i have spire of dawn models, 20 plague priest with foetid blades, a Plague priest, a Warp lightning cannon and Screaming bell

Plus i have to build a Verminlord kit and 2 kit of stormfiends.

1) which verminloard  you think is the bear ia a very hard choiche for me they are all awesome.

2) i want to play 1 unit of stom fiends with 2 warp fire projector and ratling guns, and onther whit grind fist and 2 Shock Gauntlets.

3) I want to expand my army whit storm vermins... any other suggest is accepted.

6 hours ago, sorokyl said:

Do you just like Spiteclaw model more than those? Because technically it is more expensive than both A warlord and a Grey Seer.    On ebay you can find many classic grey seer and warlord models if you don't like the current plastic ones.   Scoring a ebay collection is a great way to start a skaven army, then fill in with whatever you didn't get.  (of course unless you want to assemble all your own models, even then some collections have many unassembled models)

I like the look of Spiteclaw, yes-yes. Also the other guys can make for a basis for some other conversion buts, like assassins or gutter runners. I mean it's not like I'm planning on buying dozens of Spiteclaw boxes to build my army, I just want to use them for some conversion ideas to try out the project idea and play with painting the models without buying a big box of guys.

Also I've already paid for the box, a box of skulls, a new bottle of Agrax Earthshade and a can of Corax White so it's too late to talk me out of it as I post this from my FLGS. :P

• Haha 1

@Skreech Verminking I'm also a bit surprised you don't have any wizards. I think you underestimate Grey Seers as a cheap general. Re-rollable casting with a great battleshock related command ability for you horde army is a great start. I would argue a plague priest seems really outta place in your list at the very least. Its unlikely you'll get his prayers to do much 'till mid-game and has no command ability. 

1 hour ago, Riff_Raff_Rascal said:

@Skreech Verminking I'm also a bit surprised you don't have any wizards. I think you underestimate Grey Seers as a cheap general. Re-rollable casting with a great battleshock related command ability for you horde army is a great start. I would argue a plague priest seems really outta place in your list at the very least. Its unlikely you'll get his prayers to do much 'till mid-game and has no command ability. 

I see your point, but for some reason I don’t really like the backstabbing Little sorcerers known as grey seers, to much.

(must be that Headtaker-syndrome, I got from reading his book).