AoS 2 - Soulblight Discussion

RuneBrush

On 7/2/2019 at 1:58 AM, EMMachine said:

Because when we use this entry it would be a "Legions of Nagash" Battalion.

But Legions of Nagash doesn't actually exist anyways as a faction keyword. Thus by that definition you can't take the battalion in Grand Host of Nagash or Legion of Blood/Night/Sacrament! 😜

1 hour ago, kenshin620 said:

But Legions of Nagash doesn't actually exist anyways as a faction keyword. Thus by that definition you can't take the battalion in Grand Host of Nagash or Legion of Blood/Night/Sacrament! 😜

They still get the Keyword for the three Legions and the Grand Host through page 60 (Legions of Nagash) and getting the keyword is basicly becoming part of the faction.

On 7/6/2019 at 9:40 AM, Iron Fist said:

Opinions?

1.  That’s going to be expensive 

2. Positioning and target choice will be critical to score objectives...

3. maybe 10/10/5, but board control...

4. glhf 🥳👍

• 4 weeks later...
On 7/6/2019 at 10:40 AM, Iron Fist said:

Hello, I started thinking about a list. No need to think too much, the list is not in lace:

Allegiance: Soulblight
- Bloodline: Swift Death
Mortal Realm: Shyish

Leaders
Vampire Lord on Zombie Dragon (440)
- General
- Deathlance & Shield & Chalice
- Trait: Mist Form 
- Artefact: Ethereal Amulet 
- Lore of the Vampires: Vile Transference
Prince Vhordrai (480)
- Lore of the Vampires: Amaranthine Orb

Battleline
5 x Dire Wolves (70)
10 x Blood Knights (400)
5 x Blood Knights (200)
5 x Blood Knights (200)
5 x Blood Knights (200)

Total: 1990 / 2000
Extra Command Points: 0
Allies: 0 / 400
Wounds: 113

VLOZD with amulet and form of mist allowing to fold and load each turn to benefit from the spear damager.

Vhordrai to engage and hit 2x with the VLOZD.

25 Blooknights with 12 '' move and fly because it's cool! with the new ground rules the flight will benefit.

5 wolves for the objectives control.

Opinions?

List looks good. Just direwolfs are not part of soulblight so they need to be allies. I would personaly use some cheap unit to cover your knights against alfa strikes and to guarantee charges. Either chainrasps or marauders. With fly you can charge over them so I would take advantage of this.

With 7 drops, your opponent will usualy decide who goes first and either damage your units from range and then giving you turn where you can only charge small stuff or giving you first turn and you will not be able to charge but moving forvard will probably mean that you will get charged and loose your charge bonuses. 

• 1 month later...

I've got a little success story to share...

Played a match this week against a Kunnin' Rukk bonesplitterz list. You know, the type that can shoot out hundreds of arrows every turn? Pretty nasty stuff.

However, we were playing the new version of the Duality of Death scenario which now also lets battleline units hold the objectives. I was given the first turn so I took my unit of 10 blood knights and plopped them on a big piece of terrain right near one of the objectives and handed them a mystic shield every turn, or a Tactical Insight if the spell failed. Those knights with their 2+ save and re-rolling 1's tanked everything and won me the match by not doing anything else.

This was a good day to play Soulblight and have blood knights as battleline. 😎 Anything else would've been shot to death immediately. 🧛‍♀️

69410043_404086440246100_655350815964056

Edited by TMS
  • Like 3
  • Thanks 2

@Honk, that's right! Old Arkhie don't do much with his OG wheels no mo'.

I replaced the skeleton horses with those from the dreadblade harrow and use it as a coven throne. This one is quite a bit shorter than the original CT but I haven't had any complaints so far. ✌️

Edited by TMS
  • Like 2
  • Haha 1

@Ferrus65 Thanks! And sure, here you go! These are 5 of the 20 I have right now.

bk1.jpg.7f6b43c0bedcc9fabc77cdd68f0f8051

I'm currently painting up another 10 so I can run a list of 30 knights for an upcoming tournament. Once I have that done I intend to take more and better pictures of my entire army. I'll post a link to it when I have one!

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1
  • LOVE IT! 1

10 hours ago, TMS said:

@Ferrus65 Thanks! And sure, here you go! These are 5 of the 20 I have right now.

bk1.jpg.7f6b43c0bedcc9fabc77cdd68f0f8051

I'm currently painting up another 10 so I can run a list of 30 knights for an upcoming tournament. Once I have that done I intend to take more and better pictures of my entire army. I'll post a link to it when I have one!

holy Aborash, 30??? This sounds like my dream army 😍

• Like 1

@Raptor_Jesues, it's gonna be fun just to put those bad boys down on the table and see the reactions. 😄

@Ferrus65, yeah, they are the originals. Metals though, not resin. I bought 5 back in 2008 when they were released but since then I've been looking over ebay for any decent deals... and let me tell you, metals are not any cheaper than the finecasts. I love these miniatures though and consider the army a nostalgic collection piece as much as anything else.

Yeah, I agree with Honk. Vargheists hit harder than blood knights for the same points (damage 2 is better than D3) but they can't take a punch. Blood knights are tanky against things without rend. If you don't go with Swift Death for your bloodline then the vargheists are a lot more mobile with flying.

I certainly think there's a place for both units in the same army. Typically, you'll get out what you put in:

3 vargheists < 5 blood knights < 6 vargheists < 10 blood knights

• Like 1

5 hours ago, TMS said:

Yeah, I agree with Honk. Vargheists hit harder than blood knights for the same points (damage 2 is better than D3) but they can't take a punch. Blood knights are tanky against things without rend. If you don't go with Swift Death for your bloodline then the vargheists are a lot more mobile with flying.

I certainly think there's a place for both units in the same army. Typically, you'll get out what you put in:

3 vargheists < 5 blood knights < 6 vargheists < 10 blood knights

i can confirm that without rend, the enemy can mostly give up on beating bloodknights, expecially if you can cast overwhelming dread and are in LoB. They hit freakin hard even without chargin and are a brick wall. Yesterday i murdered 10 blightkings with 5 bloodknights loosing none in the spawn of several rounds

Edited by Raptor_Jesues
  • Haha 1

2 minutes ago, BaylorCorvette said:

LoB player here, I can def vouch that a VLoZD & Blood Knights in LoB are super nasty. Plus, the fact that LoB can bring back something like a 40 man Skeleton Warrior horde, it just makes more sense to play LoB. Which is a shame, because I'd love to play Soulblight.

yeah, same here, thats a shame. I feel like dragon warriors should have a similar bonus like LoB instead of rerolling ones to hit on a charge. Like rerolling all 1s to hit and wound in general would be awesome (and mathematically the same as +1 attack).  
On a different note i just pondered about a future soulblight book and how awesome would be to have an Aborash miniature in a similar styile of the new mortarch, like a diorama with him on a throne...
Excuse me, i must go master debate for ten minutes

• Like 1
  • LOVE IT! 1

In terms of lore or game i don't think that games workshop want more vampires in the game. For the copyirght (i only like the traditional fantasy).

A army of vampires are very competitive in LoB (except the prince vhordrai because he don't receive the benefits of +1 attacks that is a mhe). Even so, i Like a entire army of vampires and in my next week i have a 2000p battles vs stormcast eternals. The list that i will be use:

- Bloodline: Dragon Warriors

Leaders
- General
- Lore of the Vampires: Spirit Gale
Prince Vhordrai (480)
Vampire Lord (140)
- Mount: Flying Horror
Coven Throne (260)

Battleline
5 x Blood Knights (200)
5 x Blood Knights (200)
3 x Vargheists (150)

Units
10 x Chainrasp Horde (80)
- Allies

Total: 1950 / 2000
Allies: 80 / 400
Wounds: 97

Extra command points 0? I have 1 extra command point, no?

Edited by Sartxac

27 minutes ago, Charlo said:

But that means diluting you're pure vampyric army with filthy undead thralls.

Full Soulblight always 🦇

Need to get mine on the table again

totally understandable point. I like to think pure soulblight BKs as a knightly order always ready to battle and LoB BKs as filhy bored aristocrats too noble to dirt their hands, unless there realy is a need for it. 

3 minutes ago, Sartxac said:

In terms of lore or game i don't think that games workshop want more vampires in the game. For the copyirght (i only like the traditional fantasy).

A army of vampires are very competitive in LoB army (except the prince vhordrai because he don't receive the benefits of +1 attacks that is a mhe). Even so, i Like a entire army of vampires and in my next week i have a 2000p battles vs stormcast eternals. The list that i will be use:

- Bloodline: Dragon Warriors

Leaders
- General
Prince Vhordrai (480)
Vampire Lord (140)
- Mount: Flying Horror
Coven Throne (260)

Battleline
5 x Blood Knights (200)
5 x Blood Knights (200)
3 x Vargheists (150)

Units
10 x Chainrasp Horde (80)
- Allies

Total: 1950 / 2000
Allies: 80 / 400
Wounds: 97

Extra command points 0? I have 1 extra command point, ¿no?

that foot vampire lord doesnt really speaks to me as usefull, also you have way too few knights imho. I would chack out the orb and soulpike spells too if you can. I suppose the rasps are for obj taking? 
i would swap the dragon lord for mannfred and take the necromancer line as well

Edited by Raptor_Jesues
  • Thanks 1

7 minutes ago, Raptor_Jesues said:

that foot vampire lord doesnt really speaks to me as usefull, also you have way too few knights imho. I would chack out the orb and soulpike spells too if you can. I suppose the rasps are for obj taking? 
i would swap the dragon lord for mannfred and take the necromancer line as well

I think that the vampire lord is very necessary for do +1 attack to the blood knights in a charge.  Everyone with 4 attacks could kill a very number of elite units but with only 3 no, and in the reply attack they could be death. 

Yes, the chainrast are only for take objectives.

My idea with Vordhrai is take him for his command ability in the VLoZD

17 hours ago, Sartxac said:

I think that the vampire lord is very necessary for do +1 attack to the blood knights in a charge.  Everyone with 4 attacks could kill a very number of elite units but with only 3 no, and in the reply attack they could be death. 

Yes, the chainrast are only for take objectives.

My idea with Vordhrai is take him for his command ability in the VLoZD

exactly my point. By swapping the VLoZD with mannfred you would get his amazeballs CA wich is mathematically equivalent to +1 attack for BKs, difference is that you would give it to half your army. Also mannfred is a better damage dealer than the standard VLoZD and would benefit more from Vhordrai CA. Taking necromantic bloodline for +1 to cast and -1 bravery is just icing on the cake. This is my two cents obviously