AoS 2 - Nighthaunt Discussion

RuneBrush

1 hour ago, Neck-Romantic said:

Holy cr@p, Reikenor's entire body and scythe are only connected to the model via his one wrist holding the reigns to his steed. 

Welcome to the world of khinerai players who have entire models held up by a tail of plastic ;) I think this is partly a symptom of GW pushing their plastic casting quality and also their approach to using 3D design software over sculpting. Both allowing designs that likely were impossible or impractical in the past - which is great, but also means that sometimes you kind of wish for more of a marine design philosophy for transport and play! 

Hello guys! I am new to AOS and to Nighthaunt but played 40k for a while, I love the Nighthaunt army and I'd like some advice on a list I'm putting together.

Do we like the Coven Throne? Is it better or worse than a Black Coach? I have Soul Wars and a Tormented Spirits set and was thinking about getting a SC! Malignants box for more spirit hosts and hexys, i love those goofy skellies, but I also want to run Lady Olynder and a bunch of buffing heroes which doesn't leave me with much extra room at 2k. 

list would look something like this

Leaders:

mKos

GoS

spirit torment

Lady Olynder (planning on buying)

Coven Throne OR Black Coach (planning on buying)

Battleline:

20x chainrasps

10x hexwraiths (have 5, planning on 5 more)

6x spirit hosts (have 3, planning on 3 more)

Other:

10x Bladegheists (planning to buy)

8x Glaivewraith Stalkers

any help would be much obliged! this list isnt meant to be SUPER competitive but should be able to hold its own

As for the Black Coach, I absolutely love the model and have played it in the last six games I've played. Sadly, it has consistently underperformed. It is excellent at getting into the opponent's backfield and tying unit or two up for a couple turns but the damage output just isn't that strong. In those six games I've also never gotten it above level 3 (stupid dice!).

I play it very aggressively and use it to get into my opponent's backfield ASAP, usually on the opposite side of the table I'm having my offboard units come in.  The only time it shines is when it's taking on squishy units, like most battleline. 

For how I play I can't help thinking those points would be better spent elsewhere.  Just some thoughts from someone who has played a few games with the Coach and would love to see it work.

Hello all,

new to AoS and just started a Nighthaunt army. So far I´ve at least one unit of every NH unit available, including the Black Coach and all Heroes. So, a lot of options and I´m doing pretty well so far.

My main gaming buddy runs the Daughters of Khaine and I´ve real trouble to succeed against them. They also have deep strike units and some very efficient shooting units that snipe my heroes a bit too effectively for my taste. And now my buddy got himself Morathi for our upcoming battle. I had a look at Morathi´s warscroll and it really gives me a headache as it looks like a nasty powerful unit that will basically stay for 4 rounds (it can take up to 3 wounds max per round, every wound beyond that gets negated!). For the 480pts it feels a bit OP.

Anyone fought against the DoK and especially Morathi and hast some advice for me?

thanks!

Usually the best method of dealing with OP stuff is to either ignore it or bog it down with cannon fodder

Also; a while back people were saying Spectral Summons was a Command Trait and hence didnt use a command point... its a Nighthaunt Battle Trait but the entry is still listed as a "Command Ability" would that not still cost a point?

Edited by Neck-Romantic

On 9/16/2018 at 6:02 PM, ColsBols said:

Do we like the Coven Throne? Is it better or worse than a Black Coach?

Coven Throne is an ally, so it won't benefit from any of the ghosts allegiance abilities. You are better going for the BC instead. The SC malignant set isn't nighthaunt. They have older nighthaunt models in, but they also have the coven throne/mortis engine in, which isn't, for whatever reason geedubs decided to not make it part of our clan. If you pick up the LoN book, they you can mix and match almost anything into your lists.

22 hours ago, Ashes said:

Anyone fought against the DoK and especially Morathi and hast some advice for me?

DoK if played right will be a pain, They can get in fast and hit hard and can shoot well and will normally be rolling to hurt you with soooooooo many dice as well. Use our fly keyword to help outmanoeuvre them. Mortal wound causing stuff will be your friend against Morathi, use Reik to wound himself to get +3 to casting, then cast his own spell at her. She can only take 3 wounds max per turn, but any wounds she takes in small form effects her total when in big form, so if you can hit her early then she isn't going to be as scary, well, she will still be scary, just a bit less scary.  Don't bother going overkill on her and use cheap fodder to screen against her. She is only 6" move in small form, and most of out stuff is 8". If you are lucky and can get 3 wounds on her small form, then she'll only have 6 wounds in her big form, and she has a table of degrading, so if you get in quick, she'll never be at full power, and she might only be on the table for 3 rounds not 4. But she's nearly 500pts, it's a big points investment. I have always struggled against DoK with ghosts but haven't had a chance to play them in AoS 2.0 (yet). Good luck and let us know how you get on.

On 9/18/2018 at 9:32 PM, Honcho said:

Just some thoughts from someone who has played a few games with the Coach and would love to see it work.

The BC needs to hold back until it is at level 4/5 really, until then it's so hit and miss. Try playing it a bit less aggressively just to start off with, use it as bait or something if need be, but whatever you decide, it's not the sort of unit that can go toe-to-toe with anything else with the behemoth keyword unfortunately. Run some hexwraiths with it, around 10-15, and have it sit on a back field objective if need be. Currently it's greatest strength is it's unknown factor from other players, no one is quite sure if it's any good, so they see this big model and assume it's dangerous and make it a target, it's basically a brilliant distraction carnifex. 

21 hours ago, Neck-Romantic said:

Usually the best method of dealing with OP stuff is to either ignore it or bog it down with cannon fodder

Also; a while back people were saying Spectral Summons was a Command Trait and hence didnt use a command point... its a Nighthaunt Battle Trait but the entry is still listed as a "Command Ability" would that not still cost a point?

Spectral Summons is a Command Ability and costs CP to use. I don’t recall anyone arguing otherwise but if they did they were very wrong.

5 hours ago, Neck-Romantic said:

A few pages back some folks were claiming it didnt take a cmnd point

People were referring to "Ruler of the Spirit Host" in comparison to Lady Olynder's command ability.  They were saying RotS didn't require one, not Spectral Summons.

• Like 1

Just played my first game with Nighthaunt. Vanguard size, Knife to the heart against the Devoted of Sigmar.

I actually managed a turn one charge using up a lot of command point to rush forward. Only problem my heroes got left a little behind. That was my first learning point, Nighthaunt heroes need to stay close.

The game turned into a long grind, and in the end I could not remove enough Flagellants to actually reach the objective. That was my second learning point, use flight to move deep into the enemy zone fast.

I very much enjoyed playing Nighthaunt, and I'm looking forward to my next game and expanding the army.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Neck-Romantic said:

Link; you heathen! Lol

As you wish, sir ?

The Briar Queen's statline is nothing to write home about, but the spell is actually really interesting. A movement debuff in a 12" diameter bubble is certainly worth considering (inconsistent as it is), and could perhaps combo with some other spells in the Legions of Nagash book.

The squad is whatever. Not battleline is a bummer but not unexpected. Good as a throwaway unit to deep strike if you're not taking any other chaff units, I suppose.

Honestly, 150pts for 11 wounds is not the worst thing in the world. I'd take them in a heartbeat over Hexwraiths for sure.

IMG_3581.JPG

• Like 1

In essence you get her and 6 Chainwrasps for 10 less points than a tomb banshee and 10 chainwrasps.

I'm not sure what to think. The rending scream isnt bad, but has a much lower damage threshold over a Tomb Banshee, and her spell seems like it will only work reliably half the time, and yet more overpriced chainwrasp fodder that you cant max unit size...

Something here Im not seeing?

Edited by Neck-Romantic