AoS 2 - Maggotkin of Nurgle Discussion

Gaz Taylor

7 hours ago, Rotbinger said:

I love Bloab. Not used him in 3rd ed., though. 

Yeah he’s great, only given him the one outing.

first ever tournament next Sunday, taking this.

Allegiance: Nurgle
- Host of Chaos: Munificent Wanderers
- Grand Strategy: Prized Sorcery
- Triumphs: Bloodthirsty

Leaders
Rotigus (345)
- Lore of Virulence: Glorious Afflictions
Sloppity Bilepiper Herald of Nurgle(130)*
Great Unclean One (350)*
- General
- Bile Blade & Doomsday Bell
- Command Trait: One Last Gift  
- Artefact: Mucktalon  
- Lore of Virulence: Sumptuous Pestilence
The Glottkin (395)
- Lore of Malignance: Blades of Putrefaction
Be'Lakor, the Dark Master (360)

Battleline
10 x Plaguebearers (110)*

Units
3 x Nurglings (90)

Core Battalions
*Battle Regiment

Total: 2000 / 2000
Reinforced Units: 0 / 4
Allies: 0 / 400
Wounds: 111
Drops: 5

• Like 2

20 hours ago, papary said:

Leaders
Rotigus (345)
Great Unclean One (350)*
- General
The Glottkin (395)

Battleline

Units
3 x Nurglings (90)

Core Battalions
*Battle Regiment

Wouldn't have thought that someone could go even more monsterheavy than my Rotigus-GUO-Glottkin combo, but you did.😄

List looks awesome and i am very interested in hearing from your results. Can't you go for Warlord instead of battle regiment to get the Witherstave? It saved me so hard in my last game, that i wouldn't ever leave without it again.

47 minutes ago, Archibald said:

Wouldn't have thought that someone could go even more monsterheavy than my Rotigus-GUO-Glottkin combo, but you did.😄

List looks awesome and i am very interested in hearing from your results. Can't you go for Warlord instead of battle regiment to get the Witherstave? It saved me so hard in my last game, that i wouldn't ever leave without it again.

In practice games it’s 7/9 wins 🤣it is quite one sided but that may be a good idea just to get the stave in there

• Like 1

On 9/6/2021 at 8:06 PM, papary said:

In practice games it’s 7/9 wins 🤣it is quite one sided but that may be a good idea just to get the stave in there

How do play this list? Doesnt it lack some hammer unit? Or do the monsters do enough damage? 

My List i will try tomorrow:

- Triumphs: Inspired
Great Unclean One (350)*
- General
- Bile Blade & Doomsday Bell
- Command Trait: One Last Gift
- Artefact: The Witherstave
- Lore of Virulence: Glorious Afflictions
The Glottkin (395)**
- Lore of Malignance: Blades of Putrefaction
Sloppity Bilepiper Herald of Nurgle (130)*
Lord of Afflictions (180)*
- Artefact: Mucktalon
10 x Plaguebearers (110)**
3 x Plague Drones (195)**
3 x Plague Drones (195)*
*Warlord
**Battle Regiment
Artefact

Total: 1970 / 2000
Reinforced Units: 0 / 4
Allies: 0 / 400
Wounds: 122
Drops: 5

Could swap LoA for Daemonprince, but would lose the triumph?

What do you generally think about LoA vs Daemonprince? 

36 minutes ago, boombyeyeah said:

How do play this list? Doesnt it lack some hammer unit? Or do the monsters do enough damage? 

My List i will try tomorrow:

- Triumphs: Inspired
Great Unclean One (350)*
- General
The Glottkin (395)**
Sloppity Bilepiper Herald of Nurgle (130)*
Lord of Afflictions (180)*
3 x Plague Drones (195)*
*Warlord
**Battle Regiment
Artefact

Total: 1970 / 2000
Reinforced Units: 0 / 4
Allies: 0 / 400
Wounds: 122
Drops: 5

Could swap LoA for Daemonprince, but would lose the triumph?

What do you generally think about LoA vs Daemonprince? 

The list really relies on putting things on objectives and buffing them to make them immovable, the guo can hit pretty hard and rotigus spell is just nasty. all out attack on glotkins shooting attack, blades onto the plagueboys, theres enough buffs to go around everywhere and then add summoning on top of that, get those nurglings into scenery in your opponents half on your frist turn to generate some bonus summon energy, then just a case of making your opponent grind through it all.

Theres the psychological factor of 3 massive monsters and be'lakor too, which means your opponent needs to pick carefully where to focus attacks. people usually go for belly first then realise glotkin has 18 wounds and there are 32 wounds worth of great unclean ones left to get through, most of which heals back up in my hero phase.

Overall the army is just incredibly difficult to shift rather than aggressive.

I'm now looking for an army that plays completely the opposite for a second force.

• Thanks 1

On 9/4/2021 at 8:15 PM, Dolomedes said:

BoC lurker here. It's a shame that in 3.0 we can't run big Nurgle beast armies anymore - I'm hoping this will change in the near future with the rumours of a new chaos book that's likely to be BoC or Nurgle. There's a lot of Nurgle Beast armies in the fluff (particularly in Ghyran) so I think they should be represented on the tabletop. I've got a nice stack of Maggotkin models that I painted up in the End Times that are sorely missing the company of goats. 

Anyway, this has caught my attention:

Bullgors are good but they take finesse to use. You have to plan ahead and keep them well screened. Everyone knows that Bullgors with great axes pose a serious threat, and they will be targeted. They got better in 3.0 with access to all out attack, as their old weakness was the 4+ to hit that could make them unpredictably swingy. You don't usually get them into combat until the mid game, so when you send them in to smash something, you really want them to maximise their damage output. Keeping them safe from shooting/magic can be challenging. They work well if you hold them back behind 2 screens of chaff, wait for said chaff to get charged, then send in Bullgors as a counter charge. Their 5+ save makes them squishy in combat, but the Harbinger might be able to help out there. Ideally, you want to send in Bullgors as buffed as you can get them, and make sure you get to attack first. If you get it right, they can kill most things. Unfortunately taking them in Nurgle means they don't get their 'Primal Instinct' battle traits - Mortal wounds on the charge, and healing if they destroy a unit. I don't think it's worth taking a Doombull in a Nurgle army for this reason. Doombulls make nice buff pieces that can fight well, but they don't have many attacks, so they aren't the 'hammer' that you'd expect them to be. They're most effective when they have access to their allegiance abilities. There's better ways of buffing Bullgors in the Nurgle book. Orghotts Daemonspew's wound reroll is particularly good, as Bullgors do MWs on 6s to wound. Glottkin's +1 attack is also an obviously good choice.

Thank you for your advice! But can harbinger buff bullgors? Or you mean it buffs chaos warrior or blightkings to guadrd bullgors?

2 minutes ago, nurglish said:

Thank you for your advice! But can harbinger buff bullgors? Or you mean it buffs chaos warrior or blightkings to guadrd bullgors?

I've been reading up since I made that post, and unfortunately, the Harbinger won't buff them as they lack the 'Mortal' keyword. You'll still have to screen them. The Glottkin is probably your best bet for giving Bullgors a bit of survivability, unless you're taking screening units from StD or BoC (the Nurgle book doesn't really have proper chaff screen units). The 'Fleshy Abundance' spell can give them an extra wound, 'Mystic Shield' can be cast on them, and the Glottkin's 'Horrific Opponent' rule can give enemies stuff -1 to hit. The Glottkin could function as an anvil to the Bullgor Hammer. There's also the +1 attack buff from the Glottkin, but I'd recommend using 'All out attack' on them for +1 to hit instead. As mentioned, that 4+ to hit on Bullgors is their biggest downside, and if you're committing them, there's a good chance you're sending them in to something scary that you really want dead. There's always Grashrak's spell for a +1 to hit though, which might leave you with a command point spare for all out defence.

image.png.5a4d52e22ea89b08bdf03e9dc6e9eeb5.png 

https://www.games-workshop.com/resources/PDF/AoS_Warscrolls/aos_grashraks_despoilers_en.pdf

1 hour ago, Dolomedes said:

I've been reading up since I made that post, and unfortunately, the Harbinger won't buff them as they lack the 'Mortal' keyword. You'll still have to screen them. The Glottkin is probably your best bet for giving Bullgors a bit of survivability, unless you're taking screening units from StD or BoC (the Nurgle book doesn't really have proper chaff screen units). The 'Fleshy Abundance' spell can give them an extra wound, 'Mystic Shield' can be cast on them, and the Glottkin's 'Horrific Opponent' rule can give enemies stuff -1 to hit. The Glottkin could function as an anvil to the Bullgor Hammer. There's also the +1 attack buff from the Glottkin, but I'd recommend using 'All out attack' on them for +1 to hit instead. As mentioned, that 4+ to hit on Bullgors is their biggest downside, and if you're committing them, there's a good chance you're sending them in to something scary that you really want dead. There's always Grashrak's spell for a +1 to hit though, which might leave you with a command point spare for all out defence.

image.png.5a4d52e22ea89b08bdf03e9dc6e9eeb5.png 

https://www.games-workshop.com/resources/PDF/AoS_Warscrolls/aos_grashraks_despoilers_en.pdf

The Lords of Nurgle CA of the Glottkin activates in the herophase, so you can get +1 attack and all out attack in the combatphase💪

Hello there I wanted to make sure of the interaction of One last gift and Witherstave.

1º When the enemy gets a 6 to hit, he would suffer a mortal although then he repeats the dice (I imagine not)

2º If the enemy has impact effects with 6 and with the witherstave he repeats and then takes another 6, what impact effect happens?

3º IIf the enemy rolls a 5 and has +1 to hit, would he repeat that dice as well?

Although it is a powerful object, it seems that it collides a bit with the command trait of mortals at 6 for making them repeat.

Edited by JCar09

5 hours ago, JCar09 said:

Hello there I wanted to make sure of the interaction of One last gift and Witherstave.

1º When the enemy gets a 6 to hit, he would suffer a mortal although then he repeats the dice (I imagine not)

2º If the enemy has impact effects with 6 and with the witherstave he repeats and then takes another 6, what impact effect happens?

3º IIf the enemy rolls a 5 and has +1 to hit, would he repeat that dice as well?

Although it is a powerful object, it seems that it collides a bit with the command trait of mortals at 6 for making them repeat.

1-they changed One Last Gift in the latest Wrath of the Everchosen FAQ so it triggers on 1 instead of 6.

2- (from core rule1.5.5)  "Rules that refer to an unmodified roll are referring to the dice roll after re-rolls have been made but before modifiers are applied." Rerolls are made before modifiers and triggers. So if they reroll their 6 into another one, now they can apply their trigger only for the second roll.

3- since reroll are now made before modifiers I dont think it works for 5

7 hours ago, JCar09 said:

3- No, he only repeats unmodified 6s. 

On 9/5/2021 at 10:41 PM, papary said:

Leaders
Rotigus (345)
Great Unclean One (350)*
- General
The Glottkin (395)

Battleline

Units
3 x Nurglings (90)

Core Battalions
*Battle Regiment

This is very similar to what I think I'll play but I replaced Be'lakor with a second GUO to have a bigger body for the witherstave. I was also considering Horticulous but he's also a unique hero. Edpidemius could have been good considering the lack of rerolls in this version but he doesn't fit in the meta.

Edited by spenson

On 8/29/2021 at 1:04 PM, nurglish said:

Is here anyone using bullgors as their main key hammer in competitive game?

I thought about it but haven´t ordered them yet.

Frankly, for me, it seems like there isn't any main dealing unit for pure nurgle. 

Well, there are still a few...

plague drones could be one of the candidates,

The thing is: Bilepiper is such a great support tool it can enhance the drones to insanity (well, almost) but it doesn´t have to. There are still other units that will get good benefits from a bilepiper making all your units potentionally dangerous and therefore the oppenent can´t choose their targets that easy.

Blightkings

Right now I think they are pretty underwhelming due to low numbers and almost no damage output that isn´t even reliable!

Bullgors with great axes are the only unit that can deal 3 damage by its own warscroll excluding heroes.

Low number of attacks with 4+ to hit make them unreliable. Unfortunately. They look great though!

So before I add new cows to my army, how you guys think? Is here anyone using bullgors or dumbull in AOS 3.0?

Varanguard?

On 9/5/2021 at 10:41 PM, papary said:

Leaders
Rotigus (345)
Great Unclean One (350)*
- General
The Glottkin (395)

Is Belakor included as a coalition unit? He lacks the appropriate keyword, doesn´t he? If I correctly understand the rules, Belakor can only be an ally. Am I wrong here?

Edited by Hannibal

7 hours ago, Hannibal said:

I thought about it but haven´t ordered them yet.

Well, there are still a few...

The thing is: Bilepiper is such a great support tool it can enhance the drones to insanity (well, almost) but it doesn´t have to. There are still other units that will get good benefits from a bilepiper making all your units potentionally dangerous and therefore the oppenent can´t choose their targets that easy.

Right now I think they are pretty underwhelming due to low numbers and almost no damage output that isn´t even reliable!

Low number of attacks with 4+ to hit make them unreliable. Unfortunately. They look great though!

Varanguard?

Is Belakor included as a coalition unit? He lacks the appropriate keyword, doesn´t he? If I correctly understand the rules, Belakor can only be an ally. Am I wrong here?

You are right. Be'Lakor can't be a coalition unit since he doesn't have the 'Mark of Chaos' keyword. He can be taken as an ally though, which explains why he doesn't have a spell. Luckily the spell on his warscroll is good so he can cast that + either mystic shield or arcane bolt.

Edited by spenson

On 9/12/2021 at 12:29 AM, spenson said:

You are right. Be'Lakor can't be a coalition unit since he doesn't have the 'Mark of Chaos' keyword. He can be taken as an ally though, which explains why he doesn't have a spell. Luckily the spell on his warscroll is good so he can cast that + either mystic shield or arcane bolt.

yep, hes basically there to say no once per game, but his own spell comes in handy, you can never go wrong with a close quarters bolt either. 

• Thanks 1

3 hours ago, Tommy_T said:

Any tips on a good 1000pts list with daemons and/or mortal? Im new and about to start a 1000pts army :)

- Mortal Realm: Ghur
- Grand Strategy: Beast Master
- Triumphs: 

Leaders
Great Unclean One (350)**
- General
- Artefact: The Witherstave  
Sloppity Bilepiper Herald of Nurgle (130)**
Spoilpox Scrivener Herald of Nurgle (125)**

Battleline
10 x Plaguebearers (110)**

Endless Spells & Invocations
Emerald Lifeswarm (60)

Core Battalions
*Hunters of the Heartlands
**Warlord

Additional Enhancements
Artefact

Total: 995 / 1000
Reinforced Units: 0 / 2
Allies: 0 / 200
Wounds: 56
Drops: 6

This is how i started my Nurgle Force. You have everthing you want from a deamon Nurgle army except for a drone hammer unit. Super fun to play. Some magic. A lot of cool buffs. Lot of flexibility.

Nearly everything can be found  In the Broken Realms box.

On 9/16/2021 at 11:19 AM, AaronWilson said:

Hello fellow nurglings! I have recently purchased a Maggotkin army from a good friend (Nearly 7000 points) and I'm very excited to be joining the ranks.

Excited to give the below a go! 

simage.png.1e09e2fa0e4403c221cd5b25d26b987f.png

I would exchange Slimux for a drone unit. He underperformed hard in the two games i used him. The drones can be pumped up to a very good hammer.

Considering taking the following to an event: 

- Mortal Realm: Shyish

LEADERS

Archaon the Everchosen (830)*

- Lore of Foulness: Cloying Quagmire

Chaos Sorcerer Lord (115)*

- Mark of Chaos: Nurgle

- Lore of Foulness: Magnificent Buboes

Great Unclean One (350)

- General

Rotbringer Sorcerer (120)*

Sloppity Bilepiper Herald of Nurgle (130)

UNITS

ENDLESS SPELLS & INVOCATIONS

Emerald Lifeswarm (60)

Chronomantic Cogs (45)

CORE BATTALIONS

*Command Entourage - Magnificent

**Hunters of the Heartlands

ADDITIONAL ENHANCEMENTS

Artefact

TOTAL: 1980/2000 WOUNDS: 82

My mind tells me to take the Cogs as they would make more sense, but my heart wants to take the Suffocating Gravetide to block paths and be annoying.

What do you think?

Played a game against fairly unoptimized new stormcast last night, wanderers ground a solid win. First time using wanderers, oh man -1 rend in melee while near a hero is so good. Witherstave + Last gift + -1 to hit on the PB is so hard to chew through, I'm fairly sure he did more damage to him self then I did with PB's. Emerald Lifeswarm triggers both hero phases was real value!

- Grand Strategy: Hold the Line
- Triumphs:
Great Unclean One (350)*
- General
- Plague Flail & Massive Bilesword
Lord of Afflictions (180)
- Artefact: Rustfang
Sloppity Bilepiper Herald of Nurgle (130)*
Spoilpox Scrivener Herald of Nurgle (125)*
20 x Plaguebearers (220)*
- Reinforced x 1
20 x Plaguebearers (220)**
- Reinforced x 1
- Reinforced x 1
4 x Pusgoyle Blightlords (370)**
- Reinforced x 1
*Warlord
Artefact

Total: 1815 / 2000
Reinforced Units: 4 / 4
Wounds: 122
Drops: 8

I need advice on what I should spend on my remaining 185 points. Another Sloppity? Also, what is the consensus on making the Lord of Afflictions general for Spear of Contagion? Or is the GUO the preferred holder of One Last Gift for staying power? 

Also bonus question do we lose our D3 summoning points if our tree gets destroyed? 

7 hours ago, Jamezorz said:

- Grand Strategy: Hold the Line
- Triumphs:
Great Unclean One (350)*
- General
- Plague Flail & Massive Bilesword
Lord of Afflictions (180)
- Artefact: Rustfang
Sloppity Bilepiper Herald of Nurgle (130)*
Spoilpox Scrivener Herald of Nurgle (125)*
20 x Plaguebearers (220)*
- Reinforced x 1
- Reinforced x 1
- Reinforced x 1
4 x Pusgoyle Blightlords (370)**
- Reinforced x 1
*Warlord
Artefact

Total: 1815 / 2000
Reinforced Units: 4 / 4
Wounds: 122
Drops: 8

I need advice on what I should spend on my remaining 185 points. Another Sloppity? Also, what is the consensus on making the Lord of Afflictions general for Spear of Contagion? Or is the GUO the preferred holder of One Last Gift for staying power? 

Also bonus question do we lose our D3 summoning points if our tree gets destroyed? 

Why no Witherstave?

For the remaining points I highly recomment the use of some Chaos Warhounds (screening), a min unit of Pusgoyle Blightlords (objective stealing) or a 2nd Sloppity (one can´t be everywhere). I can even see a second Lord of Afflictions because he is fast and offers some good offensive capabilities.