AoS 2 - Maggotkin of Nurgle Discussion

Gaz Taylor

What are good Mortal wound units? Bloab and rotigus maybe?

Im struggling against stormcast and I thought mortal wounds would be the way to go with them.

I also made my own chaos war mammoth wich can deal out a decent amount of mortal wounds too.

image.png.131e5d66f7a3f338f1dbc24dbcb210e5.png

• Like 6
  • LOVE IT! 2

On 6/21/2019 at 7:36 AM, zamerion said:

And you havent thought about centigors?

They are faster, 4 attacks base, and +1 to hit always!  So blades are perfect for them.

Also if you are nurgle, with glottkin you give them +2 attacks..

Well thats a nice little lightbulb moment for me! 

Here is a comparison with Bestigors. 

Minimum size, no blades.

Centigors are 2-5

Bestigors are 4-8 But the bestigors are 40 points more.

No blades on both, at max size

centigors at 10-16

30 bestigors are 14-21

Blades on both, at max size. 

Centigors 47-59

Bestigors 33-43 

So basically it comes down to centigors are faster and better recipients of blades. Bestigors do more damage without blades. Its the classic question of higher ceiling, or higher floor. But the centigor's strength is spell based. And there is zero way to buff casting on a Rotbringer sorcerer so its not onnly 50:50 if it goes off but then there is unbinding. I think using centigors as a turn one putrefaction missile has some serious legs (HAH). 10 of them are only 160 points, you can position your sorcerer our of unbind range, buff em up load up the kegs and send them off. 

2 hours ago, ReAnimate Studios said:

So the points reductions on blight/plague cyst worth the points now? 

I personally cant see the points be worth the investment still :( and I am a casual gamer lol

Plague cyst hasn't changed, it was already 200 points iirc. I don't think it's worth it, since it only lets you re-roll 2s to hit since you're already re-rolling 1s and it gives you a very low probability damage aura.

Affliction cyst got a points deduction, but I still don't think it's worth it.

I do think Blight cyst is worth it. Ranged attacks for the blightkings just means another opportunity to do some damage, -1 rend is nice as long as you aren't playing a faction that ignores that, the units within the battalion synergize well together, you get an extra CP, an extra artefact, less drops... Blight kings with a harbinger of decay around makes for some very tanky units. Blight Cyst is easily the most worthwhile mortal battalion. Just gotta hope your enemy doesn't have a way to give you -1 to hit, otherwise your combat rounds will be painful.

4 hours ago, ReAnimate Studios said:

So the points reductions on blight/plague cyst worth the points now? 

I personally cant see the points be worth the investment still :( and I am a casual gamer lol

Blight cyst and thricefold are the two best battalions for maggotkin from what I have heard.

Blight cyst is definetly situational, you dont want to use it against nighthaunt and seraphon for example, and if you encounter a lot of -1 to hit, I suggest going for less blightkings altogether and focus more on units like marauders, plague monks, plaguebearers etc.

Just thinking wouldn't 40 ungor raiders also benefit from blades emensely? 40 shots rerolling 1s and 2s for 9 odd MW in addition to 13 odd normal wounds at 24"+d6 range which is something nurgle can really use.

I now wanna try 30 raiders and 10 centigors lol

Something like this:

Allegiance: Nurgle
Mortal Realm: Ulgu

Leaders
Verminlord Corruptor (260)
- General
- Artefact: Sword of Judgement 
- Lore of Virulence: Glorious Afflictions
Harbinger of Decay (160)
Festus the Leechlord (140)
- Lore of Malignance: Blades of Putrefaction

Battleline
10 x Putrid Blightkings (320)
5 x Putrid Blightkings (160)

Units
10 x Centigors (160)
- Allies
30 x Ungor Raiders (240)
- Allies
40 x Plague Monks (240)
- Foetid Blades
- 1x Icon of Pestilence
- 1x Contagion Banner
- 1x Doom Gongs
- 1x Bale Chimes

Total: 2000 / 2000
Extra Command Points: 0
Allies: 400 / 400
Wounds: 215

Edited by Dracan
added list
  • Like 1

35 minutes ago, Dracan said:

Just thinking wouldn't 40 ungor raiders also benefit from blades emensely? 40 shots rerolling 1s and 2s for 9 odd MW in addition to 13 odd normal wounds at 24"+d6 range which is something nurgle can really use.

Something like this:

Leaders
- General
Harbinger of Decay (160)

Battleline

Units
10 x Centigors (160)
- Allies
30 x Ungor Raiders (240)
- Allies
40 x Plague Monks (240)
- Foetid Blades
- 1x Icon of Pestilence
- 1x Contagion Banner
- 1x Doom Gongs
- 1x Bale Chimes

I think beasts of chaos can be our way to go until blightkings are fixed, we get our endless etc.

45 minutes ago, Dracan said:

Something like this:

Leaders
- General
Harbinger of Decay (160)

Battleline

Units
10 x Centigors (160)
- Allies
30 x Ungor Raiders (240)
- Allies
40 x Plague Monks (240)
- Foetid Blades
- 1x Icon of Pestilence
- 1x Contagion Banner
- 1x Doom Gongs
- 1x Bale Chimes

I like the list! But  I wouldnt ever leave home without the witherstave.. which the VLC can carry. When you select the VLC warscroll builder should automatically also select for you the warp lightning vortex because that S is broken! If only the pestilent thong battalion wasnt 200 points!

Edited by sal4m4nd3r

33 minutes ago, sal4m4nd3r said:

I like the list! But  I wouldnt ever leave home without the witherstave.. which the VLC can carry. When you select the VLC warscroll builder should automatically also select for you the warp lightning vortex because that S is broken! If only the pestilent thong battalion wasnt 200 points!

I still dont really understand why people take the verminlord corrupter and his endless spell.

I never really took a good look into the warscrolls becouse I hate the model.

if anyone can explain it to me I would very much apreciate that.

11 minutes ago, Goldy751 said:

I still dont really understand why people take the verminlord corrupter and his endless spell.

I never really took a good look into the warscrolls becouse I hate the model.

if anyone can explain it to me I would very much apreciate that.

Yes. 260 points. 12 wound 4+/5++, move 12" and has the NURGLE DEMON WIZARD keywords. So when you include him in your army, he can actually be given a spell lore for the Lore of Nurgle. He can also carry the demonic boons artefacts.. like the witherstave. And with his 10 attacks and a natural MW per 6 to hit..And in a Sword of Judgement (from ulgu - d6 mortal wounds on every unmodified 6 to hit to heros) he can obliterate heros.  He is a double caster and his  unique spell to decimate hordes (13" range - Pick a unit and they take a MW on a 4+ per model in the unit - Its the same as the gaunt summoner spell). He can cast the Warp Lightning vortex which is so broken.  He does d3 mortal wounds to every unit he is near in the combat phase, and has a bravery debuff AOE.  He CAN also be your general and take command traits, if you want, since is isnt an ally. You can take a block of plague monks with the woe staves, and Glott because his command ability is a blanket RR hit rolls aura. So 5 attacks RR all misses. 

So he can be fighty. He is a good caster, with GREAT spells, and access to WLV. Incredibly efficient. durable. and lots of synergy in a nurgle army. 

Edited by sal4m4nd3r
  • Like 1

6 minutes ago, sal4m4nd3r said:

Yes. 260 points. 12 wound 4+/5++, move 12" and has the NURGLE DEMON WIZARD keywords. So when you include him in your army, he can actually be given a spell lore for the Lore of Nurgle. He can also carry the demonic boons artefacts.. like the witherstave. And with his 10 attacks and a natural MW per 6 to hit..And in a Sword of Judgement (from ulgu - d6 mortal wounds on every unmodified 6 to hit to heros) he can obliterate heros.  He is a double caster and his  unique spell to decimate hordes (13" range - Pick a unit and they take a MW on a 4+ per model in the unit - Its the same as the gaunt summoner spell). He can cast the Warp Lightning vortex which is so broken.  It could be 140 points and it would still be SO SO GOOD.  and he is ONLY 260 points.  He CAN also be your general if you want since is isnt an ally. 

So he can be fighty. He is a good caster, with GREAT spells, and access to WLV. Increbibly efficient. durable. and lots of synergy in a nurgle army. 

Oh I see now that I didnt notice the daemon keyword, yeah now I definetly see why he is good.His mortal wound output is great even without the endless spell, but ignoring runs and fly + dealing a large amount of mortal wounds in a big bubble is fantastic.     I was looking for a good mortal wound unit and this one is now definetly a good option.

Im still not sold on the actual model though, its not nurgly enough for my taste. maybe the hell pit abomination can be for a cool conversion for this unit

Thanks for the reply and all the help.

I think the corruptor is solid, but I don't think I'd take the vortex with him. It's busted in the Skaven allegiance because of gnawholes and greyseer buffs, but casting it on a natural 8 in nurgle is too unreliable. 

Edited by Grimrock

thanks!

I was thinking in this list with nurgle alliance:

-Vermind lord corruptor (whiterstave)

-Glottkin

-Plague priest in plague furnace

-3x5 Blightkings

-2x40 plague monks.

200 points to fill with festus/gutrot or spells.

A lot of skavens yes, but im going to convert them with flagellants/cawdor as corrupted humans monks (no rats in my army!)

And I'm not sure to use glottkin.. 420 points  it's too much..

opinions or ideas to complete the list without using more plague monks?

• Like 1

1 hour ago, zamerion said:

thanks!

-Glottkin

-3x5 Blightkings

-2x40 plague monks.

A lot of skavens yes, but im going to convert them with flagellants/cawdor as corrupted humans monks (no rats in my army!)

in any nurle list that uses hordes I would highly consider taking the glottkin. yes the glottkin is a bit costly on his own but when you build a list around him with horde units the buffs add up fast and your units will destroy almost anything they see. to fill out the list I would go for fetus or gutrot. I am leaning more towards gutrot so you can grab objectives more easily.

again, I highly reccomend you take the glottkin in this list.

22 hours ago, zamerion said:

thanks!

-Glottkin

-3x5 Blightkings

-2x40 plague monks.

If you have exactly 200 points.. Ally in the contorted epitome. Its amazing... AMAZING for its points costs and seriously buff the rats. Double caster naturally RR all casting, unbinding and dispelling rolls. Its unique spell is DOPE (pick d3 enemy units, RR 1s to hit against those units) On a 4+ makes every unit within 6" strike at the end of the combat phase so if you get both units of rats in combat, they will both swing before getting beaten. 2++ save against MW.  FAST. strong in combat. 

Also, I know the witherstave is REALLY good. Consider the Sword of Judgement on the corrupter. You are going with more of an offsive list. The VLC with the SoJ will obliterate the face of almost ANY hero it touches. Especially if you can make then strike last. 

Perhaps another use of 200 points could be the Great Bray Shaman and a Wildfire Taurus. I have been using this lately and the taurus is LEGIT AF. 

What are people looking at taking for the new Meeting Engagements? I'm going to try a game tonight with a friend and I'm thinking of trying something like this:

Spearhead: 5 x Blight Kings
Main Body: Harbinger of Decay (Witherstave), 5 x Blight Kings,
Rearguard: Great Unclean One (Bell and Blade, Favored Poxes), 5 x Blight Kings
980/1000

Not complicated. GUO there for spell support and the movement buff. A lot of armies at this size won't have a good answer to him, so he can probably throw his weight around and get stuck in. If the enemy decides to dedicate a lot of resources in trying to kill him or tying him up, that's probably good for me in the long run. The Harbinger is there to buff the Blight Kings with a 5+ Ward Save and be a more mobile Witherstave holder than the GUO if I need to reposition the buff quickly. 15 blight kings to do the dirty work.

4 minutes ago, Dreadmund said:

What are people looking at taking for the new Meeting Engagements? I'm going to try a game tonight with a friend and I'm thinking of trying something like this:

Spearhead: 5 x Blight Kings
Main Body: Harbinger of Decay (Witherstave), 5 x Blight Kings,
Rearguard: Great Unclean One (Bell and Blade, Favored Poxes), 5 x Blight Kings
980/1000

Not complicated. GUO there for spell support and the movement buff. A lot of armies at this size won't have a good answer to him, so he can probably throw his weight around and get stuck in. If the enemy decides to dedicate a lot of resources in trying to kill him or tying him up, that's probably good for me in the long run. The Harbinger is there to buff the Blight Kings with a 5+ Ward Save and be a more mobile Witherstave holder than the GUO if I need to reposition the buff quickly. 15 blight kings to do the dirty work.

Good idea I just have to inform you that 3x times blightkings is not valid due to the restriction that a warscroll can be used 2 times maximum in your list :( you can take in the main a unit a 10 blightkings instead of 5... Then you have again 15 models in your list... 

My feeling is if you play a caster you should try to have him in the Speer head or main Armee because in the rear guard in the most scenarios you only will have 2 casting phases with him and therefore caster aren't that efficient in the rear guard (only 4 rounds and rear guard mainly comes end of turn2). 

I'm currently working a meeting engagement list with pure mortals and trying to make the lord of affliction work :)

I'll let you know after I'm finished and had my first game. 

• Like 1