AoS 2 - Maggotkin of Nurgle Discussion

Gaz Taylor

29 minutes ago, Hannibal said:

Hi,

are Plague Drones really that good? Are they the best hammer we can get?

Or are the Pusgoyle Blightlords the better hammer?

Plague drones Can make a ridículous amount of Attacks! Blightlords not That much

The 5th of August Next Tournament, This Time 1500 Points...My soul is divided between 

List A

The Blessed Sons... 3 artifacts + 3CP!

List B

Rotigus

Sorcerer with Plague Squall

Lord of blights

30 plaguebeareres

10 putrid blightkings

1 Plague Claw

1x3 nurglings

This List tries to spam MW Across The battlefield with AN extremely resiliente Wall of plaguebearers with LoBlight Command ability. 10 putrid blightKings Can Take Care of Anything and even shoot!

Which List do You prefer? For List A I need to Buy 10 putrid blightKings ( or there is any posibilidad of using bits of putrid blightKings with Vanilla chaos warriors?)

Thanks fellas!

2 hours ago, Hannibal said:

Hi,

are Plague Drones really that good? Are they the best hammer we can get?

Or are the Pusgoyle Blightlords the better hammer?

Someone mathed  it out in the 1.0 thread.   Drones with +2 attacks versus Pusgoyles with +1 attack,  and it was much closer than people thought.   Drones win damage. 

And resilience...  Pusgoyles have it. 

I like Pusgoyles because they can fill the battleline tax with LoA general (which is my favorite general).    It's like having drones without having to bring PBs. 

Edited by grungolah

Played in a RTT with my nurgle list yesterday, which consisted of:

Archaon

Glottkin

Harbinger of Decay

Lord of Blights

Lord of Slaanesh on Daemonic Mount

40 Marauders

5 Warriors

5 Warriors

Geminids

Wound up going 2-1, losing in the first round to the guy who won the event, placing third by 2 battle points. It wasn’t a big RTT, only like 10 people, but it showcased the list pretty well. There are so many buff auras to keep track of and my failure to do so, along with Morathi carpet bombing my marauders turn 1 before I could get their buffs up, really lost the first game for me. It also didn’t help that Archaon could attack twice with +1 to wound from the cycle of corruption and still couldn’t get Morathi in his sword :(

The other two games I maxed, one vs a bajillion grot list with some spiders, who were really hurt by the negative debuffs (daughters of khaine less so but I also forgot to summon the geminids game one...or Morathi denied it, forget which). The other was against a free people’s army, which I was really concerned about, but I made him go first and then double turned him in the top of 2, so I got in as scot free as humanly possible, fully buffed except that the marauders didn’t get their 2W spell, so they weren’t as tanky as they could have been. It was pretty much downhill from there for him.

My take-aways:

1) I want to try a list with more bodies. Archaon getting to attack twice was nice don’t get me wrong, but a second 40 man squad of marauders (or maybe a 30 man plagebearer squad) would go a pretty long ways to making sure I don’t get my only blob squad nuked

2) Wow those geminids. Absolutely ridiculous. I was often able to get 3 or 4 units touched by their debuffs, and those are some major debuffs, especially with the negative to hit modifiers that my army generates. That plus the harbinger meant that units often had to deal with a -2 to hit, re-rolling sixes. Gross.

3) Keep the Glottkin (and all units) in range of the harbinger. Just do it

4) The spells being higher cast value is, I think, a blessing in disguise because they tend to get denied less. Not casting super reliably is a bit of a pain, but on average, if you cast then it probably won’t be denied at least

This list with the tamurkhans horde can be good in theory

Allegiance: Nurgle

LEADERS

Harbinger of Decay (160)

Lord of Plagues (140)

Sorcerer (120)

Lord of Plagues (140)

UNITS

5 x Putrid Blightkings (160)

5 x Putrid Blightkings (160

) BATTALIONS Plague Cyst (200) The Blessed Sons (100) TOTAL: 1500/2000 EXTRA COMMAND POINTS: 12 WOUNDS: 107 LEADERS: 4/6 BATTLELINES: 4 (3+) BEHEMOTHS: 0/4 ARTILLERY: 0/4 ARTEFACTS: 0/3 ALLIES: 0/400

Starting with 3 cp, 2 artifacts + tamurkhan's one

Hi all, I'm starting up a blessed sons force as part of a narrative 2k intro game (guardians of alarielle on the other side)

Is it ok to post WIP shots here or should I make a plog? Anyway, going for speed over quality but boy'o does Nurgle lend itself to speed painting.

P1016154.png.c91203dab6a8b0c9b181eebdf4e07ecc.png

• Like 2

Greetings Nurglenerds!  I'm just getting back into AoS after a long break, and I thought my renewed interest in the game should accompany a renewed army.   I think Nurgle models are truly awesome and am looking at going with them.    I currently play Skaven, and while they're super fun, I want to make sure my next army is more ....reliably competitive...before laying down some dough.   With the new edition and me being out of the game so long, the answer is harder to research - so i ask you, do you current Nurgle players feel that  the army will continue to be a strong one in this new edition?

Thanks for your input! 

Edited by Mattbringssoda

4 hours ago, Mattbringssoda said:

Greetings Nurglenerds!  I'm just getting back into AoS after a long break, and I thought my renewed interest in the game should accompany a renewed army.   I think Nurgle models are truly awesome and am looking at going with them.    I currently play Skaven, and while they're super fun, I want to make sure my next army is more ....reliably competitive...before laying down some dough.   With the new edition and me being out of the game so long, the answer is harder to research - so i ask you, do you current Nurgle players feel that  the army will continue to be a strong one in this new edition?

Thanks for your input! 

Can never tell what may change from FAQ to FAQ, but if I were a betting man, I’d say that Nurgle looks like a pretty darn good bet

• Like 1

@Luke1705

I personally don't like the lack of a 3rd wizard.

Every round you pretty much want to cast:

• Plague Squall
  • Blades
  • Fleshy Abundance
  • Regenesis to set the wheel back to 5 or if need be 2

There is no room for Geminids, although there is an argument to be made to cast them over Plague Squall, unless they are already on the board. Either way, there is still no 'optional' or 'open' cast to get rid of an endless spell that already hit the board.

It's probably a play style/preference thing.

Concerning the FAQ... I'm just waiting for it to finally drop, so I can order the rest of my army.

I worked out various variants of the Archaon/Nurgle list...

• with Plaguetouched (for the unlikely event of an 180 on the previous FAQ)
  • with Sorcerer Lord/Balewind/Geminids
  • with Sorcerer Lord/a unit Blightkings instead of endless spells 
  • with Nurgle Sorcerer/a unit of Blightkings/Geminids
  • no Sorcerers/no endless spells/2 units of Blightkings
  • no Sorcerers/a unit of Blightkings/2 full units of Marauders/Geminids (although this on is not really a consideration, as I would hate to buy another 40 dudes which are likely to be discontinued and haven't aged that well model-wise)

So, FAQ please. :D 

An Epidemius' tale.

Ive gathered some units in a try to exploit the tallyman strengths, that is make a lot of attacks:

Putrid blightkings being close to LoBlights can shoot(Attacks!), the plague monks bring 3 attacks each if charge! (more attacks!). Once Epidemies makes his magic the plagueClaw becomes reliable plagueBeareres and the poxbringer are there to protect Epidemius from any harm. LoBligths can use its ability in plaguebearers to make them unkillable or even using in epidemius if a lot of projectiles are present. Nurglings are there to harass/earn contagion points they can be incredibly valuable if well placed

Allegiance: Chaos

LEADERS

Epidemius Tallyman of Nurgle (200)

Poxbringer Herald of Nurgle (120)

- Artefact : The Witherstave
- Lore of Virulence : Favoured Poxes

Lord of Blights (140)

- General
- Command Trait : Bloated with Corruption

UNITS

30 x Plaguebearers (320)

3 x Nurglings (100)

10 x Plague Monks (70)

-Foetid Blades
- Icon of Pestilence - Doom Gongs

10 x Plague Monks (70)

-Foetid Blades
- Icon of Pestilence - Doom Gongs

10 x Putrid Blightkings (320)

WAR MACHINES

Plagueclaw (160)

TOTAL: 1500/1500

EXTRA COMMAND POINTS: 0

WOUNDS: 127

Warscroll Builder on www.warhammer-community.com

LEADERS: 3/4 BATTLELINES: 1 (2+) BEHEMOTHS: 0/2 ARTILLERY: 1/2 ARTEFACTS: 1/1 ALLIES: 0/200

12 hours ago, Lardidar said:

Hi all, I'm starting up a blessed sons force as part of a narrative 2k intro game (guardians of alarielle on the other side)

Is it ok to post WIP shots here or should I make a plog? Anyway, going for speed over quality but boy'o does Nurgle lend itself to speed painting.

P1016154.png.c91203dab6a8b0c9b181eebdf4e07ecc.png

lovely! Pictures are always welcome!! 

20 hours ago, Luke1705 said:

Witherstave. That thing is worth its weight in gold

I love it so much. I took it on the GUO at Midwest Meltdown this weekend. I wrapped him in 30 Plaguebearers,  which also had the LoB's command ability on them. -2 hit in combat, re-rolling 6s was huge. 

My take away from the weekend's event for my list is that I am too dependent on magic. I ran into several opponents who had very solid magic defense. My dice also betrayed me a little. I think I got Blades of Putrefaction off about 5 times in 5 games. Foul Regen was another one that was tough to make happen. I think that I will keep investing in magic, but I'll have to count on it less for making hammers happen. If there is Arcane ruins around things tend to work a little better, but that is a long shot. 

48 minutes ago, RoyalDachshund said:

FAQ dropped.

There goes my Archaon + Glotkin combo:P

Just the spamming is gone, which comes to no surprise... 

Plaguetouched is not going to make a comeback, as it stays locked behind Everchosen or GA: Chaos allegiance.

Geminids got nerfed as well, only one can affect a given unit but never both.

Edited by Xasz

46 minutes ago, grungolah said:

Spamming is gone everywhere, but Glottkin and GUO can still be stacked.  It's a win for Nurgle.  Yeah, it's expensive, but 2 models we love to take anyway.

I'm pretty happy about the change. While there are times I'd love my drones to have +5 attacks, it just isn't a good game experience. Eventually you are taking something similar to the face... no fun. 

I'm thrilled that the GUO can still use it's command ability several times a turn. Giving 2 or 3 demon units +1A each is appealing in certain circumstances.