AoS 2 - Maggotkin of Nurgle Discussion

Gaz Taylor

12 hours ago, boombyeyeah said:

I had to check immediately, but got disappointed. The word blightkings is written in small letters in Spume's Warscroll aswell as in the Blightcyst battalion. This means that they require the Blightkings warscroll. If BLIGHTKINGS would be written in bold letters you could have taken them.

Sorry, i would really like that.

Thanks. Yeah, didn´t check Gutrot Spume´s warscroll.

• 2 weeks later...
5 hours ago, Rotbinger said:

Hat jemand Tipps zum Umgang mit monsterlastigem Gristlegor / FEC mit Maggotkin? Vielen Dank.

Hallo, ich würde grosse Blöcke mind.(3x10) Blightkings nehmen, da die viel einstecken können. Mind. 2 Mortal Sorcerer um die BK mit Sprüchen zu buffen une die nervigen kleinen FEC Heros rauszuballern (Plague Squall)

Dann noch ein GUO oder die Glottkin

und zum counterstriken Pusgoyle Blightlords und/oder zwei Dämonenprinzen. Dann noch Glück beim Würfeln und ne gute Mission, dann kann es gegen FEC klappen.

Die sind aber trotzdem fiese Gegner.

Hey guys - some friends and I are starting a 2k league next week. I ran this list minus the sorcerer and extra command point, but with the addition of Festus. Although it preformed pretty well, I figured the only reason I wanted Festus on the table was to unlock Blades of Putrefaction, and so I decided to drop him out for a vanilla sorcerer and the extra command point. Anybody got any thoughts on how I can improve on it? Or is Festus a better option.  All feedback welcome. :)

(Leader x4)

Great Unlean One

General, Grandfather's Blessing, Doomsday Bell, Bileblade, Glorious Afflictions.

Lord of Afflictions 

Rustfang

Sorcerer

Blades of Putrefaction 

Gutrot Spume

(Battleline X3)

x30 Plaguebearers 

×10 Blightkings 

x5 Blight Kings

(Other)

x6 Plague Drones

x3 Nurglings

Extra Command Point. 

Total: 2000

Edited by Rotbinger
Typo

12 hours ago, Rotbinger said:

Hey guys - some friends and I are starting a 2k league next week. I ran this list minus the sorcerer and extra command point, but with the addition of Festus. Although it preformed pretty well, I figured the only reason I wanted Festus on the table was to unlock Blades of Putrefaction, and so I decided to drop him out for a vanilla sorcerer and the extra command point. Anybody got any thoughts on how I can improve on it? Or is Festus a better option.  All feedback welcome. :)

(Leader x4)

Great Unlean One

General, Grandfather's Blessing, Doomsday Bell, Bileblade, Glorious Afflictions.

Lord of Afflictions 

Rustfang

Sorcerer

Blades of Putrefaction 

Gutrot Spume

(Battleline X3)

x30 Plaguebearers 

×10 Blightkings 

x5 Blight Kings

(Other)

x6 Plague Drones

x3 Nurglings

Extra Command Point. 

Looks pretty good but i would skip the LoA and instead taking Festus with Plague squall and may be an endless

spell or a chaos spawn for the remainig points. If you don't have endless spells. I think the whitherstave would be a great artefact imho better than rustfang.

But a lot depends on your enemies and the missions. But all in all you made a good list. Holding Power, fast units, deepstrike abilities all is there. Would like to read your experience with this list.

On 5/4/2021 at 12:29 PM, Homer72 said:

Looks pretty good but i would skip the LoA and instead taking Festus with Plague squall and may be an endless

spell or a chaos spawn for the remainig points. If you don't have endless spells. I think the whitherstave would be a great artefact imho better than rustfang.

But a lot depends on your enemies and the missions. But all in all you made a good list. Holding Power, fast units, deepstrike abilities all is there. Would like to read your experience with this list.

Thanks for the feedback, mate. Out of curiosity, why would you drop the LoA? I personally find him really useful for dishing out the extra attacks on each of the drones' weapons, being that he's the only one who can keep pace with them. I think it works out at an additional 5 or 6 attacks each. 

Edited by Rotbinger
Typo

23 hours ago, Rotbinger said:

Thanks for the feedback, mate. Out of curiosity, why would you drop the LoA? I personally find him really useful for dishing out the extra attacks on each of the drones' weapons, being that he's the only one who can keep pace with them. I think it works out at an additional 5 or 6 attacks each. 

My Fault! I don't play with plague drones, in fact i hate the models but they are none the less great troops.

And therefore i didn't saw the role of the LoA for buffing them!  Your list is therefore even better than I thoght.

I like to play my Nurgle armies with 2-4

wizards, that was the reason for taking festus instead of the LoA into the list.

But that was, as I wrote before a fault.

Sorry for the confusion.

On 5/3/2021 at 6:25 PM, Rotbinger said:

(Leader x4)

Great Unlean One

Lord of Afflictions 

Rustfang

Sorcerer

Blades of Putrefaction 

Gutrot Spume

(Battleline X3)

x30 Plaguebearers 

×10 Blightkings 

x5 Blight Kings

(Other)

x6 Plague Drones

x3 Nurglings

Extra Command Point. 

I like the look of the list.  I love using an LoA with Drones.  I would offer the following feedback:

- The problem with Blades is that you are paying all those points for the sorcerer, who doesn't do a lot else.  Blades is a 7 to case (just of 50%) and there are a large number of powerful casters or auto-unbinds running around.  Some armies can just kill your sorcerer before he's able to cast.  There is some likelihood that you'll never be able to get Blades off.  Blades is VERY powerful, so the risk/reward is there.  I look for consistency and I'm risk averse, so for me Blades is inferior to either of buffs from Spoilpox or Sloppity.

- I strongly dislike Nurglings.  I get what people are using them for: summoning point by being in your opponent's territory and move blocking.  I just don't think they work very well to do either.   In a tournament, you don't have control over the size/shape/location of terrain and in many cases your opponent will screen you out of those pieces based on their deployment.  A number of battleplans have huge territories, meaning after the first movement phase you'll already be in your opponent's territory anyway in which case the Nurglings did nothing.  Once the Nurglings are placed, they are SLOW.  They don't use the first movement phase, so you are unlikely to want to spin the wheel to the movement buff to get them in a location to affect the game.  In your list, Gutrot Spume does similar things to the Nurglings.  If I wanted a unit to fill the "nurgling" role, I'd look for something cheap/fast that can also be used to take late game objectives and screen my territory from teleports.  I'd probably go for a units of Furies for 20 extra points.  Furies can go a long way in one turn (move (12), charge (2D6), retreat (12+ D6) instead of combat)... so you can move them 24+D6+2D6 inches, assuming there is a unit they can charge into.

Again, this is because I want consistent performance from my units and I am risk-averse.  If you like the play of these units, go for it.

9 hours ago, meatpipeline said:

I like the look of the list.  I love using an LoA with Drones.  I would offer the following feedback:

- The problem with Blades is that you are paying all those points for the sorcerer, who doesn't do a lot else.  Blades is a 7 to case (just of 50%) and there are a large number of powerful casters or auto-unbinds running around.  Some armies can just kill your sorcerer before he's able to cast.  There is some likelihood that you'll never be able to get Blades off.  Blades is VERY powerful, so the risk/reward is there.  I look for consistency and I'm risk averse, so for me Blades is inferior to either of buffs from Spoilpox or Sloppity.

- I strongly dislike Nurglings.  I get what people are using them for: summoning point by being in your opponent's territory and move blocking.  I just don't think they work very well to do either.   In a tournament, you don't have control over the size/shape/location of terrain and in many cases your opponent will screen you out of those pieces based on their deployment.  A number of battleplans have huge territories, meaning after the first movement phase you'll already be in your opponent's territory anyway in which case the Nurglings did nothing.  Once the Nurglings are placed, they are SLOW.  They don't use the first movement phase, so you are unlikely to want to spin the wheel to the movement buff to get them in a location to affect the game.  In your list, Gutrot Spume does similar things to the Nurglings.  If I wanted a unit to fill the "nurgling" role, I'd look for something cheap/fast that can also be used to take late game objectives and screen my territory from teleports.  I'd probably go for a units of Furies for 20 extra points.  Furies can go a long way in one turn (move (12), charge (2D6), retreat (12+ D6) instead of combat)... so you can move them 24+D6+2D6 inches, assuming there is a unit they can charge into.

Again, this is because I want consistent performance from my units and I am risk-averse.  If you like the play of these units, go for it.

Well, this is our main problem in mixed(demons and mortals) list.

The blades of putrefactions are great

for buffing PBK but not for Plaguebearers and other demons.

On the other hand the bilepiper und scrivener doesn't buff the PBK.

Therfore I like playing "pure" lists, i.e.

pure PBK or pure demon lists.

17 hours ago, meatpipeline said:

That's a great point on the Nurglings, actually.  Spume and his unit carry out that role so in hindsight they do seem a bit pointless in terms of scoring Contagion Points. That said, however, their secondary role of hopping onto backfield objectives and allowing my more powerful units to advance hasn't been a bad tactic for me either, but then summoned units could carry out that same role, but only less quickly. It's certainly something to think about. 🤔

I have to admit, I'm torn on Blades, too. If it comes off it's a great addition to the list, and being that the current meta I play in doesn't feature a great deal of unbinding, it usually hangs on the cast roll as opposed to being overwhelmed by buffed unbinding. 

Unfortunately, I don't own any furies. Although I see the benefit of running some, I do have a slight problem when it comes to running allies. It's silly, I guess, but that's where my 'purist' side creeps in. 😄

What's your thoughts on Pusgoyle Blight Lords? I kinda like the idea of doubling down on the Alpha strike to get in my opponents face even more so than with just the Plague Drones. I doubt I'll have to worry about any hard alpha strikes myself during our games, but possibly giving them something else to chew through for a turn or two might help with early scoring. What do you think?

Edited by Rotbinger
Typo

On 5/8/2021 at 1:06 PM, Homer72 said:

My Fault! I don't play with plague drones, in fact i hate the models but they are none the less great troops.

And therefore i didn't saw the role of the LoA for buffing them!  Your list is therefore even better than I thoght.

I like to play my Nurgle armies with 2-4

wizards, that was the reason for taking festus instead of the LoA into the list.

But that was, as I wrote before a fault.

Sorry for the confusion.

No worries, dude. 😊 I was a bit surprised when you said to drop him. 😅

Hello, I need some tips for how to handle monsters with Nurgle. My friend has played nurgle for a long time and always struggled against monster lists (beastclaw raiders and mawtribes) but now has no idea on how to take down my other friends Sons of Behemat.
I don't know enough about Nugle to help him and thought that I could probably find some idéas here.

3 hours ago, TheBurnhead said:

Hello, I need some tips for how to handle monsters with Nurgle. My friend has played nurgle for a long time and always struggled against monster lists (beastclaw raiders and mawtribes) but now has no idea on how to take down my other friends Sons of Behemat.
I don't know enough about Nugle to help him and thought that I could probably find some idéas here.

Hmm... I haven't had any experience against Sons of Behemat, so I'm afraid my any advice would be rather arbitrary.

Has he had a look on YouTube? If you don't get much joy here, there might be something to be had from players over there. I know Rerolling Ones did a battle report between the two a while ago, where I think Maggotkin won. Might be worth a look. 

any thoughts on this?

Allegiance: Nurgle LEADERS Great Unclean One (320) - General - Plague Flail & Massive Bilesword - Artefact: The Endless Gift - Lore of Virulence: Favoured Poxes

Great Unclean One (320) - Bile Blade & Doomsday Bell - Lore of Virulence: Sumptuous Pestilence

Rotigus (320) - Lore of Virulence: Glorious Afflictions

Sloppity Bilepiper Herald of Nurgle (150) - Artefact: The Witherstave

Spoilpox Scrivener Herald of Nurgle (140)

UNITS 30 x Plaguebearers (300)

10 x Plaguebearers (110)

5 x Putrid Blightkings (140)

BATTALIONS Thricefold Befoulment (60) Invidian Plaguehost (120)

I'm aware that the battalions may go in 3.0 but for now i quite like it, think it has the potential to be very tough to shift

• Like 1

Getting back into Nurgle after a long hiatus and will be playing some Meeting engagement games with friends.

Will be mostly playing against tanky first wave AOS Stormcast that are faster than Rotbringers so they can play the objective game and still hold their own in melee.

Lord Relictor debuffs my most threatening Blightkings unit forcing them to reroll 6s with his Divine Light prayer and -1 to hit rolls with Lightning Storm.

Lord Celestant on Dracoth has high speed and tankiness and usually charges into the debuffed Blightkings and holds them away from doing anything useful.

Liberators run to objectives and hold them.

Due to Meeting Engagements rules i can only have up to 2 units with the same name so i can't split Blihtkings into multiple units of 5. I run two units of 10 and they either get debuffed or never make it to objectives.

Has anyone made mortal Nurgle work in Meeting Engagements?

Edited by Infernalslayer

@Infernalslayer Do you have any Slaves?

A Blessed Sons Sorcerer Lord on Manticore would help a lot of those issues. Fast and solid melee capability.

Plague Squall let's you threaten anything in sight. The Trait speeds up your 10 strong BK to 11" of movement and can still charge near a tree.

Some Knights would add more speed and love the Oracular Visions buff.

Edited by Eldarain
  • Like 1

Hey, coming from Khorne and i want to go for Maggotkin for a change, especially Rotbringers as they look sexy and i want a mortal hard to kill elite army.

I won't buy the minis yet but i plan to play on TTS. Looking on the battaltion warscrolls i ended beeing dubious at the following :

Can we take the Blight Cyst battalion(140 points) and the Blessed sons battalion(40 points) so we only spend 180 points in battalion in total to have killers Putrid Blight Kings ?

It's just than i'm not used to see low cost super battalion and there is all ready a subfaction named the Blessed sons so i'm a bit confuse here.

I know the blight cyst is not very original but i plan to add fecula and the wurmspat to try the spell that inflict damage for the numbers of models of a enemy unit. I start to get fed up loosing my khorne bloodbounds as soon as someone sneeze on them + gutrot spume ability to strike from behind looks nice too. I won't buy the army yet as i don't know what will become of thoses battalions in V3 

34 minutes ago, Perturbato said:

Can we take the Blight Cyst battalion(140 points) and the Blessed sons battalion(40 points) so we only spend 180 points in battalion in total to have killers Putrid Blight Kings ?

It's just than i'm not used to see low cost super battalion and there is all ready a subfaction named the Blessed sons so i'm a bit confuse here.

It would basicly be possible but the points for the Blessed Sons Battalion should be outdated (the FAQ was from December 2019, while their was a Update with the Generals Handbook 2020 (which doesn't include Points for the two named Faction Battalions anymore (so you would need your opponents agreement to use it in Matched Play) especially after GW was going away from Named Superbattalions (only making the once for the generic faction) and instead made subfactions for the Allegiance (with a Subfaction for Blessed Sons being in Archaons Wrath).

Edited by EMMachine

On 5/11/2021 at 5:42 AM, Eldarain said:

@Infernalslayer Do you have any Slaves?

A Blessed Sons Sorcerer Lord on Manticore would help a lot of those issues. Fast and solid melee capability.

Plague Squall let's you threaten anything in sight. The Trait speeds up your 10 strong BK to 11" of movement and can still charge near a tree.

Some Knights would add more speed and love the Oracular Visions buff.

Interesting tips, that would make the list look like:

Blessed Sons

1 Harbinger of Decay - General 160

1 Chaos Sorcerer Lord on Manticore - 260

10 Blightkings - 280

5 Blightkings - 140

5 Chaos Knights - 160

1000 points

Not sure how best to separate these in the Spearhead/Main Body/Rear Guard

Have you tried Plague Squall? It seems a bit unreliable at first glance, as it will net one or two 6's out of seven dice on average.  

On 5/9/2021 at 9:00 AM, Rotbinger said:

That's a great point on the Nurglings, actually.  Spume and his unit carry out that role so in hindsight they do seem a bit pointless in terms of scoring Contagion Points. That said, however, their secondary role of hopping onto backfield objectives and allowing my more powerful units to advance hasn't been a bad tactic for me either, but then summoned units could carry out that same role, but only less quickly. It's certainly something to think about. 🤔

I have to admit, I'm torn on Blades, too. If it comes off it's a great addition to the list, and being that the current meta I play in doesn't feature a great deal of unbinding, it usually hangs on the cast roll as opposed to being overwhelmed by buffed unbinding. 

Unfortunately, I don't own any furies. Although I see the benefit of running some, I do have a slight problem when it comes to running allies. It's silly, I guess, but that's where my 'purist' side creeps in. 😄

What's your thoughts on Pusgoyle Blight Lords? I kinda like the idea of doubling down on the Alpha strike to get in my opponents face even more so than with just the Plague Drones. I doubt I'll have to worry about any hard alpha strikes myself during our games, but possibly giving them something else to chew through for a turn or two might help with early scoring. What do you think?

Good point about summoning.  If you want to take a unit to sit on your own backfield objectives, literally any unit will work.  I'd try to think about what else that unit might have to do in the game (not die to someone trying to taking the object, run out to move block, screen a caster, actually deal some damage).  Nurglings don't do anything very well other than have a bunch of wounds.... their 3 bases don't even take up much space.

Furies are chaos daemons... why GW don't they have a mark of chaos?!?!?!?!?  They do in 40k!

I like Pusgoyle Blightlords as a way to move block, gum up the board, cap late game objectives .  Not sure about the alpha though... Doug from 2+ Tough used to have a Nurgle Pusgoyle based army that was trying for the alpha-pin... sounds like a good starting point, although now I can't find the video where he talks about it.

Paul Conti (Radio Free Hammerhal) has a youtube video on Pusgoyles from a few months ago.  It is really good as well.

5 minutes ago, meatpipeline said:

Good point about summoning.  If you want to take a unit to sit on your own backfield objectives, literally any unit will work.  I'd try to think about what else that unit might have to do in the game (not die to someone trying to taking the object, run out to move block, screen a caster, actually deal some damage).  Nurglings don't do anything very well other than have a bunch of wounds.... their 3 bases don't even take up much space.

Furies are chaos daemons... why GW don't they have a mark of chaos?!?!?!?!?  They do in 40k!

I like Pusgoyle Blightlords as a way to move block, gum up the board, cap late game objectives .  Not sure about the alpha though... Doug from 2+ Tough used to have a Nurgle Pusgoyle based army that was trying for the alpha-pin... sounds like a good starting point, although now I can't find the video where he talks about it.

Paul Conti (Radio Free Hammerhal) has a youtube video on Pusgoyles from a few months ago.  It is really good as well.

Wicked, mate. I'll check that out. I've got a couple kicking, which I really love. Sadly I don't use them enough. I've never ran them outside the minimum unit size of two, but I wouldn't mind taking them in a bigger unit sometime. 

• 3 weeks later...