AoS 2 - Disciples of Tzeentch Discussion

Gaz Taylor

So the classic Tzeentch colors are Blue, Gold, and Pink (in that order). Now obviously highly subjective but the teal prevents me from thinking 'Tzeentch' when I see those. Were it blue I think they'd be much more representative, thanks to the existing gold pips and magenta.

I also do not feel it really sells as an eye (if that's what it is in the middle) I had to zoom in to make it out and only then did I realize. Making the central circle larger compared to the tendrils would IMO improve the design. That said the most important facet--there being nine tendrils, is already spot on.

30 minutes ago, Baron Of Dice said:

Hey all!  I want to find some feedback on the latest Tzeentch inspired dice!  What do we think?  Anything you would change; color, square corner, translucent, etc.   Appreciate the feedback in advance!  These are on Baron of Dice

IMG_4592.JPG

IMG_4593.JPG

And yes they have 9 points already : ) 

Hot take I guess but Gaunt Summoners never should have had the Arcanite keyword in the first place. They are the least grounded and most alien creatures to the physical Mortal Realms in the lore except individual characters. Its an absurd notion that they'd be spending their day-to-day time micromanaging cultists and beastmen.

Also they only really lose out on Demagogue and Arcane Sacrifice. There really isn't any remaining keyword(like the old Tzaangors) bingo for the Arcanite tag other than to make the Mortal tag distinct. NBD imo.

Edited by Sinfullyvannila

1 hour ago, NinthMusketeer said:

So the classic Tzeentch colors are Blue, Gold, and Pink (in that order). Now obviously highly subjective but the teal prevents me from thinking 'Tzeentch' when I see those. Were it blue I think they'd be much more representative, thanks to the existing gold pips and magenta.

I also do not feel it really sells as an eye (if that's what it is in the middle) I had to zoom in to make it out and only then did I realize. Making the central circle larger compared to the tendrils would IMO improve the design. That said the most important facet--there being nine tendrils, is already spot on.

To add to this: Yellow and Blue are the true „classic“ T colors. Gold came later, although he had lots of silver (first Aekold and Egrimm paintjobs as examples) at first too. In the end it‘s everything from teal (teal/green-blues are a very recent addition) to purple now as well as gold (which went from a desaturated one to rich gold) and slightly colored metallics (with a teal or purple hue in recent paintjobs), so to me they actually fit very well as Tzeentch is the God of many colors. :)

3 minutes ago, MitGas said:

To add to this: Yellow and Blue are the true „classic“ T colors. Gold came later, although he had lots of silver (first Aekold and Egrimm paintjobs as examples) at first too. In the end it‘s everything from teal (teal/green-blues are a very recent addition) to purple now as well as gold (which went from a desaturated one to rich gold) and slightly colored metallics (with a teal or purple hue in recent paintjobs), so to me they actually fit very well as Tzeentch is the God of many colors. :)

I just got this book and im super salty they haven't put back or replaced the old Arcanite color schemes from the 1e battletome.

6 hours ago, MitGas said:

Classic not necessarily meaning original. Obviously they could be any color, but if the idea is to specifically market them as Tzeentch dice I imagine that isn't the advice he is looking for. Otherwise why ask in the first place?

1 hour ago, NinthMusketeer said:

Classic not necessarily meaning original. Obviously they could be any color, but if the idea is to specifically market them as Tzeentch dice I imagine that isn't the advice he is looking for. Otherwise why ask in the first place?

Yellow and blue are the original AND classic T colors. Look at the first Tzeentch minis like the ancient Chaos Space Marines, they were mostly yellow with bits of blue but yellow actually was the dominant color at first. I guess it‘s fair to say that multi-colored dice are fitting now as Tzeentch went more and more in a kaleidoscopic color scheme. I‘d maybe use eyes instead of dots to sell the Tzeentch thing, if that is possible. The teal could also be more blue although I think they fit already pretty well. Without a Tzeentch symbol one can‘t do the optimum. 🤷🏻‍♂️

@Duke of Mousillon, always appreciate your input mate!

22 hours ago, Duke of Mousillon said:

And here we have to ask ourselves. Is this not how balancing should be? Youre not terrible. Youre not standing out. Youre just good enough. Which does not mean it should not feel awesome to play an army. A faction should definetly not feel boring to play. But from a balancing perspective that sounds like a good start.

Totally agree here, and thanks for the reminder that this is how these things work! I guess I want tzeentch to really feel like it is that magical force to be reckoned with, but still fickle at the same time!

Maybe 4e tome will bring us some better things ;)

• Like 1

2 hours ago, MitGas said:

Yellow and blue are the original AND classic T colors. Look at the first Tzeentch minis like the ancient Chaos Space Marines, they were mostly yellow with bits of blue but yellow actually was the dominant color at first. I guess it‘s fair to say that multi-colored dice are fitting now as Tzeentch went more and more in a kaleidoscopic color scheme. I‘d maybe use eyes instead of dots to sell the Tzeentch thing, if that is possible. The teal could also be more blue although I think they fit already pretty well. Without a Tzeentch symbol one can‘t do the optimum. 🤷🏻‍♂️

I suppose people can look at the official images of Tzeentch models and decide for themselves.

14 hours ago, Sinfullyvannila said:

Hot take I guess but Gaunt Summoners never should have had the Arcanite keyword in the first place. They are the least grounded and most alien creatures to the physical Mortal Realms in the lore except individual characters. Its an absurd notion that they'd be spending their day-to-day time micromanaging cultists and beastmen.

Also they only really lose out on Demagogue and Arcane Sacrifice. There really isn't any remaining keyword(like the old Tzaangors) bingo for the Arcanite tag other than to make the Mortal tag distinct. NBD imo.

Lorewise Gaunt summoners are the 9 most powerful mortal sorcerers of Tzeentch. They're essentially just a different kind of daemon prince.

4 hours ago, NinthMusketeer said:

I suppose people can look at the official images of Tzeentch models and decide for themselves.

Of course, no other Chaos God (or army) provides us with this much freedom in regards to the colors. I love seeing unusual color choices personally and I‘m using lots of shiny silver (with blue/teal shadows) for mine and use lots of cold colors as I enjoy an „evil“ look. I just wanted to add that yellow and blue are the „classics“ if one wishes to aim for the iconic colors for possible dice and that‘s the way it was. It changed and evolved over time, which fits T well but arguing against yellow/blue as the original colors is about as senseless as arguing that Nurgle is the better Chaos God. 😇

1 hour ago, Sinfullyvannila said:

Dude, I respect you the most here for your game knowledge but you should really read the lore section of the book

Page 24 of the 2.0 Disciples of Tzeentch battletome, under the section "Lords of the Silver Towers"

The Gaunt Summoners are the most trusted mortal servants of the Change God, nine wizards of formidable power charged with furthering Tzeentch's intricately woven plans. Each claims dominion over one of the Silver Towers, ....

Maybe it was retconned in the new book or they've been inconsistent on them, but thats what the previous battletome says verbatim.

7 hours ago, MitGas said:

Of course, no other Chaos God (or army) provides us with this much freedom in regards to the colors. I love seeing unusual color choices personally and I‘m using lots of shiny silver (with blue/teal shadows) for mine and use lots of cold colors as I enjoy an „evil“ look. I just wanted to add that yellow and blue are the „classics“ if one wishes to aim for the iconic colors for possible dice and that‘s the way it was. It changed and evolved over time, which fits T well but arguing against yellow/blue as the original colors is about as senseless as arguing that Nurgle is the better Chaos God. 😇

It is a strange choice of hill to die on, to be sure.

5 hours ago, Duke of Mousillon said:

I am thinking about allying in the contorted epitome for tzaangor support if there is enough space. Can I give levitate to the epitome when allying in or do I need to get the additional spell enhancement to touch the universal spell lore with allies?

Yeah need the additional spell enhancement to give them levitate. 

• Thanks 1

10 hours ago, Jabbuk said:

Have you guys noticed that in the AoS app, the Tzaangors ability "Savagery Unleashed" that makes the beaks +1atk if they charged, is totally missing on the Tzaangors warscroll? Has this been FAQed? I have looked and I don't see the FAQ. 

Bumping this just to get some visibility. Hopefully you guys can help. Do you have the same thing on your app? It's pretty big if they dropped it.

6 hours ago, Ganigumo said:

Page 24 of the 2.0 Disciples of Tzeentch battletome, under the section "Lords of the Silver Towers"

Maybe it was retconned in the new book or they've been inconsistent on them, but thats what the previous battletome says verbatim.

I apologize. I think its a retcon. It feels like they dropped the mortal stuff to make the Eater of Tomes' death and the fallout of it more significant. I always kinda felt the whole "True name winning" thing Archaon did to them really clashed with them being mortal though. That's classic "real world" daemonology.