AoS 2 - Legion of Blood Discussion

RuneBrush

I'm making a tournament list and I think Legion of Blood can be an excelent way to have a powerful no-unique General. I was thinking about a Vampire Lord on Zombie Dragon as General with Walking Dead Command Trait for mortal wounds and ethereal amulet for resistence. I'm not sure if Neferata can be a nice friend or some Reapers can be still nice for a good attack.

Greetings

59 minutes ago, ACBelMutie said:

I'm making a tournament list and I think Legion of Blood can be an excelent way to have a powerful no-unique General. I was thinking about a Vampire Lord on Zombie Dragon as General with Walking Dead Command Trait for mortal wounds and ethereal amulet for resistence. I'm not sure if Neferata can be a nice friend or some Reapers can be still nice for a good attack.

Greetings

Double Dragon/ Dragon & Neferata is a solid combo of the LoB. Ethereal Amulet VLoZD is totally gnarly and abusable :D

• Like 1

On 6/24/2019 at 10:53 PM, ACBelMutie said:

Greetings

But if you play legion of blood with neferata, she must be the general.

On 6/24/2019 at 10:53 PM, ACBelMutie said:

Greetings

even though the amulet is quite awesome i would argue that in this precise situation, the artifact ghyrstrike could be almost as good.  I would not take Neferata since she is still pretty overcosted and squishy. A coven throne would be a nice buffing piece, expecially if you take (and i suggest you do) a squad of 10 blood knights  

Edited by Raptor_Jesues
  • Like 2

7 hours ago, Raptor_Jesues said:

even though the amulet is quite awesome i would argue that in this precise situation, the artifact ghyrstrike could be almost as good.  I would not take Neferata since she is still pretty overcosted and squishy. A coven throne would be a nice buffing piece, expecially if you take (and i suggest you do) a squad of 10 blood knights  

I'm not sure about that change. One of the big enemies of LoN are Shooters. Saving at 3++ is very powerful (and Mistic shield is awesome in this cases). I see ethereal amulet in every tournament list where there is a Zombie Dragon. The problem are the mortal wounds, I agree in that point.

Greetings

9 minutes ago, Juanruni said:

Can anyone give me any advice?

Only used her like 3/4 times... the debuff to hit aura is kinda nice, but she is totally overpriced, compared to Arkhan who has far more utility in my opinion. Also the 11hp with 4+ save make her squishy as stated above, while her use is right behind the frontlines, putting her into harms way. Not as bad as mannfred, but still precarious 

• Like 1

Thinking of diving into Legion of Blood as my first Sigmar army and eying off the following units:

2 vampire lords on dragons

3x5 dire wolves

10 blood knights (not sure if 1 big block or 2  5 man units)
30 grave guard

3 Vargheists

No real idea if that is a decent army or not but it looks like it could be fun (and quite fast other than the grave guard).  Struggling a bit to see how I can make proper use of the blood legion bonuses, it seems pretty lackluster when it only applies to a handful of units in the whole army.  The other army I was considering was with a few more banner units to try and maximise the -1 to bravery.

4 hours ago, Death1942 said:

Thinking of diving into Legion of Blood as my first Sigmar army and eying off the following units:

2 vampire lords on dragons

3x5 dire wolves

10 blood knights (not sure if 1 big block or 2  5 man units)
30 grave guard

3 Vargheists

No real idea if that is a decent army or not but it looks like it could be fun (and quite fast other than the grave guard).  Struggling a bit to see how I can make proper use of the blood legion bonuses, it seems pretty lackluster when it only applies to a handful of units in the whole army.  The other army I was considering was with a few more banner units to try and maximise the -1 to bravery.

Get Vhordrai and another VLoZD to activate the VLoZD in the hero phase for 1 command point. Banners don't stack, remember it! 

Greetings 

8 hours ago, Death1942 said:

Take Vhordrai in place of one of the lords. Yes, BK are better in units of 10. The 30 grave guards are not that good unless you are grand host, so i would suggest to exchange those with something else, like a coven throne and some skellies

Thanks for the replies, my list is now looking like this:

Vampire lord on zDragon:  General, Sanguine Blur, Ethereal Amulet, Vile Transference
Vhordrai
Necromancer:  Overwhelming Dread

2x5 Direwolves

40 Skeletons: Swords

10 Blood Knights

Purple Sun
Extra command point

The grave guard definitely don't feel as good as the skeletons for their points.  Added a necromancer to try and get some debuff spells in via the death lore.  Not overly sure what the necromancer is going to do, maybe he can sit on an objective down back but then he won't really have anything other than maybe some dire wolves to back him up.  Hoping that 10 blood knights and 2 dragons slamming into something will give me enough of a boost to close out a game.

I'm still changing my list because I think it has some weaknesses I need to eliminate. I have 2 lists in my mind using Legion of Blood. I wanted a powerfull General who could survive to resurrect if needed and named heroes can't use artifacts. That's the reason I chose the VLoZD as my General withe amethystine pinions.

List 1:

• Vampire Lord on Zombie Dragon - General - Ethereal Amulet - Walking Dead
  • 1x Necromancer
  • 2x Guardian of Souls
  • 2x30 Grimghast Reapers
  • 3x10 Zombies
  • 1x Chronomatic Cogs
  • 1 Command Point

List 2:

• Vampire Lord on Zombie Dragon - General - Ethereal Amulet - Walking Dead
  • 2x Necromancer
  • 1x Guardian of Souls
  • 1x30 Grimghast Reapers
  • 2x10 Zombies
  • 1x40 Skeleton Warriors
  • 1x20 Grave Guard
  • 1 Command Point

What do you think about the lists?

Greetings

Edited by ACBelMutie

16 hours ago, ACBelMutie said:

What do you think about the lists?

I always consider a necromancer for general... bit safer when the VloZd goes on a rampage.

and I‘m not quite sure why you’re going for Legion of Blood. No Bloodknights, no bravery bombs...?!

6 hours ago, Honk said:

I always consider a necromancer for general... bit safer when the VloZd goes on a rampage.

and I‘m not quite sure why you’re going for Legion of Blood. No Bloodknights, no bravery bombs...?!

Walking dead in VLoZD witch has 4 attacks and deals 2/3 mortal wounds when hit rolls are six are quite interesting. 

Greetings 

Edited by ACBelMutie

1 hour ago, Honk said:

I‘m not quite sure about that,

generals traits do not apply to mounts...

Sorry, I wanted to say 2/3 mortal wounds if he gets a 6 when he attacks with his speer (not charging/charging). In addition, +1 attack to all the melee profile attacks are quite good.

Greetings

• Thanks 1

10 hours ago, ACBelMutie said:

Sorry, I wanted to say 2/3 mortal wounds if he gets a 6 when he attacks with his speer (not charging/charging). In addition, +1 attack to all the melee profile attacks are quite good.

Greetings

I gets even better if you also give the dude an artifact that gives +1 to hit, triggering the MWs on a 5+. Gyrstrike from Gyran is probably the best one since it also gives you a +1 to wond on top of that.  It makes for a really scary melee fighter, almost on the same level of the prince.
That said, i REALLY suggest you to make some room for a 10 men unit of blood knights wich are really juicy in LoB

Edited by Raptor_Jesues
  • LOVE IT! 1

For meeting engagement what you think of this list?

Sperhead.

Black knights

Black knights.

Main body.

Blood knights

blood knights

Bat swarms

Dire wolfs.

Vampire lord on nightmare -S vile transference -C aristocracy of blood - A Orb of enchantment.

Rearguard 

Dire wolfs.

The idea is to get some early bord control with the black knights, they can do some damage, or die quickly to be resummoned on turn 2 by the vampire, then in round 2/3 charge with the blood knights killing as much as possible, i just hope my opponent has no double turn and prevents me from charging.

The wolfs are for grabing objectives, like the bats that also help reducing the damage from shooting.

Othet option is :

Sperhad

Blood knights.

Main

Vampire lord on zombie dragon (with the rerrol 1s save and minus 1 to hit in combat)

Blood knights.

Chainswrap , etheral battleline.

Rearguard.

Chainswrap.

More direct to the point, charge and kill, it should have more issues with objectives.

Which list you prefer? or what would you change?

Edited by sadon
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, sadon said:

Which list you prefer? 

Blackknights didn’t really perform in my last game and for board control wolves are cheaper. My three main opponents (2xkhorne + nurgle) always field a big nasty, so I would suggest fielding a big unit of bloodknights... but that is not backed up by a lot of experiences.

second list is straightforward and takes advantage of all the LoBlood buffs...

both are interesting 

22 minutes ago, Honk said:

Blackknights didn’t really perform in my last game and for board control wolves are cheaper. My three main opponents (2xkhorne + nurgle) always field a big nasty, so I would suggest fielding a big unit of bloodknights... but that is not backed up by a lot of experiences.

second list is straightforward and takes advantage of all the LoBlood buffs...

both are interesting 

Interesting about the black knights underperforming, 

if there is a lot of big stuff i ll need the vampire on dragon  , so going more that way might be a good option.

The problem of a big unit of blood knights is that they could only be on the rearguard part, that in most scenarios is only functional for 2 turns.

1 hour ago, sadon said:

Bloodknights..//..they could only be on the rearguard

Not really an expert on the rules, but you‘re sure? 

With the blackknights, it was a good portion of noobness involved, charging 5 into 2 korgharoth things was kinda stupid...  but even then, the damage output was a bit underwhelming.

In ME you don’t get all your buffs that easily, with the small set up zones, your armies might even be further apart than in a normal game on a big table.

Edited by Honk

4 hours ago, sadon said:

Main body.

Blood knights

blood knights

Bat swarms

Dire wolfs.

Vampire lord on nightmare -S vile transference -C aristocracy of blood - A Orb of enchantment.

From my experience (played like five meeting engagements so far) it can be problematic too have a contingent with too many models/too many big models. In some scenarios theres only so much space to place your models, it can get quite tricky. In addition to that most of the time you want to deploy most units as close to the point of action as possible. Thats difficult when trying to make them fit into the small deployment area.
I havent played the VLOZD in ME yet, but played with a few Blood Knights, that was really fun. I feel like its really important to have fast moving units.

2 hours ago, sadon said:

The problem of a big unit of blood knights is that they could only be on the rearguard part, that in most scenarios is only functional for 2 turns.

I think you are right here, it feels terrible when the unit thats most important to you, arrives last on the battlefield..

1 hour ago, Honk said:

Not really an expert on the rules, but you‘re sure? 

With the blackknights, it was a good portion of noobness involved, charging 5 into 2 korgharoth things was kinda stupid...  but even then, the damage output was a bit underwhelming.

In ME you don’t get all your buffs that easily, with the small set up zones, your armies might even be further apart than in a normal game on a big table.

To play a big unit of Blood Knights, they have to be battleline. So the only way to play a big unit of Blood Knights is playing Soulblight Allegiance, not Legion of Blood.

• Confused 1

5 minutes ago, EMMachine said:

they have to be battleline.

Sorry, don’t have the book with me...

can‘t your main troops be a vamp lord, 5 wolves and ten knights?!

start with 2x black knights, then as above, finish off with another batch of dogs...???