AoS 2 - Hosts of Slaanesh Discussion

Gaz Taylor

No offense to anyone who is all about them, but the FW greater daemons are all pretty awful sculpts in my opinion. The Bloodthirster has like 35 pounds of resin tacked to its back that they are calling "wings." I actually think the KoS was the least offensive, but it's still not great. The new KoS is pretty clearly (in size, pose, sculpt quality, etc) meant to usurp not only the old GW KoS (a truly sad model by modern standards) but also that FW Exalted KoS. It doesn't surprise me that the FW one is getting sidelined/outshone. I think its time has come and gone. Just one hedonist's opinion.

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, Grimrock said:

Oddly enough I think it might come down to the size of the model. So with nurgle for example, the exalted guo essentially became a slightly worse version of the standard guo, but it's also a touch smaller than the standard. The exalted bloodthirster is still a fair bit stronger but he's also still a fair bit bigger. So if the new keeper is a similar size to the exalted expect them to be about the same rules wise (not sure, I haven't seen any kind of size comparison yet). If it's bigger and more impressive visually then the rules will likely reflect that. Either way I'd expect some clear nerfs because that helps ensure people buy the new model rather than use the old resin one.

So how do I deal with this fluffwise?

I've got an Exalted ruling over a court of Keepers. What happened to her? does she just stay off the battlefield and her minions become Invaders? Does she use a new KOS datasheet with all the gear and the distinction becomes purely fluff? does she use Shalaxi's warscroll if it's better? etc.

The gameplay-story intersection is what I wanted to chat about I guess.

Just now, exliontamer said:

No offense to anyone who is all about them, but the FW greater daemons are all pretty awful sculpts in my opinion. The Bloodthirster has like 35 pounds of resin tacked to its back that they are calling "wings." I actually think the KoS was the least offensive, but it's still not great. The new KoS is pretty clearly (in size, pose, sculpt quality, etc) meant to usurp not only the old GW KoS (a truly sad model by modern standards) but also that FW Exalted KoS. It doesn't surprise me that the FW one is getting sidelined/outshone. I think its time has come and gone. Just one hedonist's opinion.

I'm not really using the FW model. I've converted my own you can see upthread. This is more of a question about rules and fluff rather than model.

6 minutes ago, Unit1126PLL said:

I've got an Exalted ruling over a court of Keepers. What happened to her? does she just stay off the battlefield and her minions become Invaders? Does she use a new KOS datasheet with all the gear and the distinction becomes purely fluff? does she use Shalaxi's warscroll if it's better? etc.

I'd go with using Shalaxi if it's stronger; it is a favoured daemon that can, hopefully, annihilate any opposition from heroes.

8 minutes ago, Unit1126PLL said:

Sounds like its time for your old exalted keeper to get overthrown! In true pretenders fashion.

Just now, PensivePanther said:

Sounds like its time for your old exalted keeper to get overthrown! In true pretenders fashion.

Haha, that's actually a good point.... I'm shocked I hadn't considered this, but it's amazing.

2 minutes ago, Enoby said:

I'd go with using Shalaxi if it's stronger; it is a favoured daemon that can, hopefully, annihilate any opposition from heroes.

My thoughts as well...

The only problem is I like the way Shalaxi's model looks, except for the headdress. I'll see if you can equip a keeper with a spear - that would be epic.

3 minutes ago, Elazar The Glorified said:

As soon as the preorders for the minis go up their entry in the shop has the warscroll available to download 

10am on the New Zealand site so whatever that would be in your local time 

Is New Zealand the first to see them? Today? Do I have to be on the NZ GW website to.get them?

Just now, Alexonian said:

Ive been told hellstriders lost their -1 to hit banner, which makes them useless for me :(

They may well lose that, but they could fill a totally different role. If they are now big powerhouses on a charge then they may still have a place :)

1 minute ago, Unit1126PLL said:

Is New Zealand the first to see them? Today? Do I have to be on the NZ GW website to.get them?

It's 4:31am in Newzealand at the moment, so 5 and half hours time the kept secrets shall be revealed. 

57 minutes ago, Unit1126PLL said:

I'm not really using the FW model. I've converted my own you can see upthread. This is more of a question about rules and fluff rather than model.

Yeah, I mean I guess my point was they are converging. GW KoS is getting a new model, better statline, new abilities, etc, etc. It is also the size and general look of the EKoS but better. So basically I doubt the rules will be very good, different, or independent. And I don't have a problem with that really. Your mileage may vary.

1 hour ago, Alexonian said:

Ive been told hellstriders lost their -1 to hit banner, which makes them useless for me :(

But they do D6 damage on the charge!!! 

(Probably not true, but calling a unit useless because they lost their precious big rule in favour of something new... is pretty useless until you know the new bit ;) )

Just a friendly reminder too, don't freak out if the warscrolls look like they took a super hit by the nerf bat. The majority of an armies power is usually in the hosts, artifacts, traits, and battalions. I went through it with khorne recently... Unfortunately we still won't know much about the army as a whole until the book gets fully spoiled.

• Like 2

I sort of hope hellstriders lose their whole "+1 attack" feature each time they don't kill much - it sort of sounds neat until you realise you have to engineer them to under-perform early so that they perform as they should mid to late game. Though in theory as they take losses it means they might keep a similar number of attacks going out. 

And yeah typically at Midnight GMT is when New Zealand gets its update and that's when everyone leaps onto the NZ GW site for a look (then has a minor heart attack at the prices)

• Haha 1

28 minutes ago, Kramer said:

But they do D6 damage on the charge!!! 

(Probably not true, but calling a unit useless because they lost their precious big rule in favour of something new... is pretty useless until you know the new bit ;) )

who said they where getting anything new? not me anyway.... (from what I hear they are bad, that doesn't make it an absolute truth but its what Ive heard) and my army is all about stacking - to hits, which is why I'm so sad

• Haha 1

5 hours ago, Unit1126PLL said:

Also, sorry for double post, but I have to vent. I am so eager to move along with speculating and adjusting my army, but so little information exists .... it's almost painful.

anyone want to chat about potential lore or anything? What are people doing with their "Exalteds" in the fluff now that they are not-so-Exalted? Are they getting some sudden demotion for some reason? Are the Keepers underneath them being empowered? Does anyone care? haha.

Before I was running a Creature Caster pincer daemon as my keeper because the old model was so bad. Now ill run it as my exalted and run the new keeper as a KOS

1 hour ago, Grimrock said:

Just a friendly reminder too, don't freak out if the warscrolls look like they took a super hit by the nerf bat. The majority of an armies power is usually in the hosts, artifacts, traits, and battalions. I went through it with khorne recently... Unfortunately we still won't know much about the army as a whole until the book gets fully spoiled.

Every army before new army book - we gonna get some awesome warscrools and kick ass

Slaanesh army before new army book - Dont panic after the nerfs 

1 hour ago, Grimrock said:

I'd like to second this. I know how tempting it is to see the bad immediately but we really can't judge until we see everything. Let's say we lose the double pile in, it could be the command ability of a host. 

4 minutes ago, azmodan said:

Every army before new army book - we gonna get some awesome warscrools and kick ass

Haha,  I think it's because we were incredibly strong without a battletome. If we kept all of our strengths and get all of these buffs, we'd re-enact the Fall of the Eldar on the meta. 

• Like 2

33 minutes ago, Enoby said:

Haha,  I think it's because we were incredibly strong without a battletome. If we kept all of our strengths and get all of these buffs, we'd re-enact the Fall of the Eldar on the meta. 

Exactly, and getting a book is a fundamental shift for an army. I mean, a huge chunk of khorne warscrolls got kicked in the junk but all of the other additions have put them in an incredibly diverse and interesting place for list building. And that was just shifting from an AoS 1 battletome to AoS 2. Going from the general's handbook to a full tome is going to make some very big changes that probably won't look good without the fill picture. Even just getting wizards and a spell lore can add a massive power boost... A +1 to hit or +3 to run and charge could completely change how an army works.

Edited by Grimrock
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, azmodan said:

Actually its equal. Before a new book there's those going "OMG best ever coming up" and "OMG its going to be a nerf-fest"
Interestingly the day of launch you get the same reactions and for a few weeks after the very same ones; though those crying loudest tend to shift around. 

9 minutes ago, Overread said:

Actually its equal. Before a new book there's those going "OMG best ever coming up" and "OMG its going to be a nerf-fest"
Interestingly the day of launch you get the same reactions and for a few weeks after the very same ones; though those crying loudest tend to shift around. 

Well iam on both sides. I like the previews but i expect some nerfs. Jest to make room for new rules/models