AoS 2 - Hosts of Slaanesh Discussion

Gaz Taylor

• Replies 2.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I think its worth mention the new terrain piece can be place anywhere wholly withen your territory. 3in away from objective and other terrain feature. I believe it is placed before you start setting up units. So that does open some tactics far as placement and summoning. Like leaving the infernal enrapturess in the back to summon stuff to help secure objective when things move forward. Even summon additional waves to push forward.

26 minutes ago, Poryague said:

I think its worth mention the new terrain piece can be place anywhere wholly withen your territory. 3in away from objective and other terrain feature. I believe it is placed before you start setting up units. So that does open some tactics far as placement and summoning. Like leaving the infernal enrapturess in the back to summon stuff to help secure objective when things move forward. Even summon additional waves to push forward.

For sure, though, I think the Twins are better suited for that role. 

Well as much as i'm loving the new warscrolls, I gotta say the cost of the KoS kit is brutal especially since I want an extra one to make hellbane. $170 CAD is highway robbery, making it one of the most expensive models in the sigmar range along with posterboy models like archaon. Feels like a scam when compared to the other greater daemons kit prices. I'll be grabbing the book, fane and spells but man it'll probably be a while before the keeper graces my shelf. Will probably grab the epitome and another start collecting at least to pad out my current collection.

3 minutes ago, Lucky Snake Eyes said:

Well as much as i'm loving the new warscrolls, I gotta say the cost of the KoS kit is brutal especially since I want an extra one to make hellbane. $170 CAD is highway robbery, making it one of the most expensive models in the sigmar range along with posterboy models like archaon. Feels like a scam when compared to the other greater daemons kit prices. I'll be grabbing the book, fane and spells but man it'll probably be a while before the keeper graces my shelf. Will probably grab the epitome and another start collecting at least to pad out my current collection.

GUO is the same, BT and LoC are 140 because they were released years ago. Hedonites are a summoning faction so it will really pay to make yourself a few summon choices pre-buying models. KoS is pretty important to the playstyle and also quite a few points, I don't think across a 2k army the cost is out of line.

4 hours ago, Poryague said:

Take with a grain of salt dark artisan says the 0-4 hellflayer and exalted are key word. So you can run herald version in battalion. Wont knkw for sure until you have the book.

I paused GMGs video and read (squinted at) the page. Compared to the battalion above, they weren’t keyword bolded to my eye. 

1 hour ago, Lucky Snake Eyes said:

Its a nice model and all but I will be using Creature Caster. I like them just as much for like 40% less money.

25 minutes ago, Luke1705 said:

Wait so is the exalted keeper of secrets still a thing or no? Looks basically identical to the regular keeper

Its basically a weaker version of the reg keeper for the same points. (aka GW's way of saying "don't use it we want you to buy the new model")

1 minute ago, themortalgod said:

Its basically a weaker version of the reg keeper for the same points. (aka GW's way of saying "don't use it")

That’s very surprising to be honest. All of the other exalted daemons have their own points cost and rules. Maybe it’s a typo? Wouldn’t be the first time the app was wrong. Would be the first time a battle tome updated a forge world unit wouldn’t it?

2 minutes ago, Luke1705 said:

That’s very surprising to be honest. All of the other exalted daemons have their own points cost and rules. Maybe it’s a typo? Wouldn’t be the first time the app was wrong. Would be the first time a battle tome updated a forge world unit wouldn’t it?

I think it sort of makes sense, the new Keeper model is bigger. It should be stronger. The fact that they gave the FW the same pts cost though is the weird part. That could be a typo though. 

So, I tried out a practice game using the GMG review for reference. I've got a much better feel for how things work now and I think the army is in a pretty good place. My list was:

Godseekers:
KoS - general
- trait: reroll hit and wound rolls of 1 if general charges
- artifact: Ghyrstrike on the claws
- spell: casts on 7, healing d3 wounds for a daemon within 6
Exalted on chariot
- spell: pavane 
contorted epitome
- spell: hysterical frenzy 
- artifact: from the seeker host list, once per game gain a command point and no battleshock within 18"
infernal enrapturess

Sybarites battalion 

2x30 daemonettes
1x5 hellstriders
2x5 seekers

Up against a Khorne list using a Slaugherborn battallion and Dark Feast for screening. I won't bore you with a play by play, but some thoughts on the new book:

- Locus of Diversion and the Epitome are total game changers. Having all your squishy stuff charged and then just turning off the enemy units off until after you attack with everything is massive, and way better than the -1 to hit from Hellstriders imo. You don't even need screening against an alpha strike army, just keep your heroes behind the front line and beg your opponent to charge. The epitome can cover for low rolls on the locus with the Fascination rule and spam it into multiple units if you position well. 
- Depravity point generation is off the charts. I summoned 2 KoS, 10 daemonettes, 5 seekers, and I had about a dozen more points by the end of the last turn. Enrapturess, summoning off the Fane regularly, and the seeker host bonus were all great. Essentially the passive generation with a little hero killing made it so as soon as my existing KoS died I could summon another every turn, with a bit of extra build up for the other units. Not surprising, but Seekers won the game on the last turn by sprinting to a back field objective
- Sybarites was nice until things started to die, the army is definitely command point intensive so the bonus is helpful
- Exalted chariot did a shocking amount of damage, was tanky, and combining those with the locus made it a real pain to deal with. Plus generating about 120 points via depravity just by dying. Fantastic unit even with me rolling 3 1's for its mortal wound generators
- Hellstriders and Seekers were actually decent, better than expected. Rend, lots of attacks, small foot print, speed, durability, and Euphoric Killers all did work. I'll definitely keep them around. 
- Slaughterborn from Khorne sucks to deal with. So much rend negation on the beefy units
- 7's to cast most spells makes magic super unreliable. Although I was against Khorne so... yeah. Probably a bit skewed haha
- Keepers are super, super swingy based on dice. Huge damage if you roll well, next to nothing if a couple 1's sneak in. If it weren't for the fact that it has the 2+ locus and the best command ability I probably wouldn't be a big fan. Getting dice fixers will be important, so the Fane, Acquiescence, or traits/artifacts. 

Idea for list I’m going to try next weekend. 

Pretenders 

keeper

-+2 attack artifact (claws)

traits

-+1 damage versus monsters. 

-either rerolls when alone or add d3 damage once a combat phase. (She might run with daemonettes)

epitome

-phantasmagoria (roll 6 dice each 5+ is -1 bravery)

-either sword of judgement or gryph feather charm. 

Herald of slaanesh

-soul slice shard (roll 2d6 against bravery and take mw to difference. 

Units

2x30 daemonettes

10 daemonettes 

6 fiends

epicurean revellers 

the sword is based on the fact that the epitome isn’t awful in combat and will fire off 9 attacks to fish for activation of the sword. It’s free mw as I still get to make those wound rolls for the extra hits. If she is near the keeper, she can pile in twice to try to kill a monster or hero.

For my first 2000 points list I'm toying with the following idea:

Pretenders

-KoS (General)

Hand / +2 attacks on Claws / +1 Damage to monsters / 1d3 extra for one attack or rerolling when alone

- KoS

Hand / Ghyrstrike on Claws

-KoS

Hand / Blade of Hammerhal Ghyra on Claws

- Infernal Enrapturess

- Contorted Epitome or Herald + Exalted Chaos Champion

- 5 Chaos Warriors

- 5 Chaos Warriors

- 5 Hellstriders

- Mirror spell

- x2 Sybarite battalion

The second battalion might be excessive but I'll be making one of my KoS more killy for 60 points while having the chance of getting extra CPs and having one CP for each KoS as soon as possible. The Exalted Chaos Champion option is there as it's really cheap so I could get CPs on a 5 or less. 

4 minutes ago, Izotzuhure said:

For my first 2000 points list I'm toying with the following idea:

Pretenders

-KoS (General)

Hand / +2 attacks on Claws / +1 Damage to monsters / 1d3 extra for one attack or rerolling when alone

- KoS

Hand / Ghyrstrike on Claws

-KoS

Hand / Blade of Hammerhal Ghyra on Claws

- Infernal Enrapturess

- Contorted Epitome or Herald + Exalted Chaos Champion

- 5 Chaos Warriors

- 5 Chaos Warriors

- 5 Hellstriders

- Mirror spell

- x2 Sybarite battalion

The second battalion might be excessive but I'll be making one of my KoS more killy for 60 points while having the chance of getting extra CPs and having one CP for each KoS as soon as possible. The Exalted Chaos Champion option is there as it's really cheap so I could get CPs on a 5 or less. 

What are these battalion doing?

Here is an attempt at the spells

Lore of Slaanesh (Slaanesh Daemon wizards only)

1 Lash of slaanesh

casting value of 5. if successfully cast pick 1 point  on the battlefield within 12" of the caster that is visible to them, and draw an imaginary straight line 1mm wide between that point and the closest part of the casters base ,roll a dice for each enemy model passed by this line on a 4+ hat models unit suffers 1 mortal wound.

2 pavane of slaanesh

casting value 7. If successfully cast pick 1 enemy hero within 6" of the caster that is visible to them and roll a number of dice equal to that Heros move characteristics, for each 5+ that hero suffers 1 mortal wound.

3 hysterical frenzy

casting value of 7. If successfully cast pick 1 enemy unit wholly within 18" of the caster that is visible to them and roll 1 dice for each model in that unit, for each 6 that unit suffers d3 mortal wounds.

4 soulslice shard (?)

casting value 5, if successfully cast pick 1 enemy unit within 18" of the caster that is visible to them and roll 2d6, if the roll is higher then that units bravery characteristic that unit suffers a number of mortal wounds equal to the difference between its bravery characteristic and the roll .

5 phantasmagoria

casting value of 7, pick 1 enemy unit within 18" of the caster that is visible to them and roll 6 dice, for each 5+ until your next hero phase subtract 1 from that units bravery characteristic.

6  .... of damnation

casting value of 5, if successfully cast pick 1 friendly hedonite Hero within 6" of the caster that is visible to them, you can heal 1 wound allocated to that hero, if the casting roll was 10+ you can heal d3 wounds instead of 1. 

Forbidden sorceries of slaanesh (slaanesh greater daemons only)

1 song of secrets.

casting value of 7, if successfully cast pick 1 enemy unit wholly within 18" of the caster that is visible to them, and roll 1 dice for each model in that unit, for each 6, you receive 1 depravity point.

2 progeny of damnation

casting value of 7, if successfully cast pick 1 friendly Daemon hedonit hero within 6" and visible to them, you can heal d3 wounds allocated to that hero, if the casting roll was 10+ you can heal d6 instead.

3  slothful stupor

casting value of 8. if successfully cast pick 1 enemy hero within 12" of the caster that is visible to them. until your next hero phase that hero cannot use command abilities, cannot run or attempt to charge.

lore of pain and pleasure (mortal slaanesh wizards only)

1 Battle rapture

casting value of 5. if successfully cast pick 1 friendly mortal slaanesh unit wholly within 18" of the caster that is visible to them. do not take battleshock tests for that unit until your next hero phase. if the casting roll is 10+ you can pick 3 friendly mortal slaanesh units wholly within 18" of the caster and visible to them instead of 1.

2  Dark delusions

casting value of 5, if successfully cast pick 1 enemy unit wholly within 18" of the caster that is visible to them, and roll 2d6,  if the roll is equal or greater than that units bravery characteristic, add 1 to hit rolls for attacks that target that unit until your next hero phase.

3 hellshriek

casting value of 5, if successfully cast roll a dice for each enemy unit within 6" of the caster, on a 5+ that enemy unit suffers 1 mortal wound.

33 minutes ago, Nokrah said:

What are these battalion doing?

If you roll equal or less to the number of heroes in your battalion you get 1 CP.  However, in Pretenders your general needs to be on its own, which breaks the minimum requirement (3-6 heroes). The cost of the battalion is 120.

I could always lose one of the battalion and swap a KoS for 30 daemonettes instead of relying on summoning.  

Tbh I think people are over complicating it. Simple 2k list - 3 KoS and 90 daemonettes. 1980. Done

edit: actually I think I would change 1 daemonettes unit into 2x 10 (so 30 - 30 - 10 - 10). Puts the list right at 1900 so that you get extra command points for the KoS ability (all three could double activate turn 1). Could also swap the 10 man daemonettes units for seekers or hellstriders as I think they’re roughly the same cost

And sure it works, but people want to max out how much our stuff does. I personally want my single keeper to be as strong as possibly and my daemonettes following up with hard hitting attacks. 

We will see how we all do in the coming weeks. Make slaanesh proud you degenerates. 

Testing the rules yesterday with a pretender host. Kos with reroll hits, the d3 extra damage once per combat phase, and +2 attacks on the claws can hit extremely hard. Getting into the right units will be important. The new daemonette battalion that gives daeomenett mortal wounds is not to bad. The exalted herald chariot is solid. Lot more durable and can get a ridicules amout of attacks. The locus of diversion even though it's on chance can have a massive impact on the combat phase regardless of who charges. Got a decent roll and forced the 3 units that charged me to strike last. Magic phase was meh. 

Target priority will be important. Screening and backing up with heroes with locus of diversion can completely mess up your opponents plan. So runing units with heroes will still be important even without the old daemon locuses . 

1 hour ago, Alexonian said:

Here is an attempt at the spells

Lore of Slaanesh (Slaanesh Daemon wizards only)

1 Lash of slaanesh

casting value of 5. if successfully cast pick 1 point  on the battlefield within 12" of the caster that is visible to them, and draw an imaginary straight line 1mm wide between that point and the closest part of the casters base ,roll a dice for each enemy model passed by this line on a 4+ hat models unit suffers 1 mortal wound.

2 pavane of slaanesh

casting value 7. If successfully cast pick 1 enemy hero within 6" of the caster that is visible to them and roll a number of dice equal to that Heros move characteristics, for each 5+ that hero suffers 1 mortal wound.

3 hysterical frenzy

casting value of 7. If successfully cast pick 1 enemy unit wholly within 18" of the caster that is visible to them and roll 1 dice for each model in that unit, for each 6 that unit suffers d3 mortal wounds.

4 soulslice shard (?)

casting value 5, if successfully cast pick 1 enemy unit within 18" of the caster that is visible to them and roll 2d6, if the roll is higher then that units bravery characteristic that unit suffers a number of mortal wounds equal to the difference between its bravery characteristic and the roll .

5 phantasmagoria

casting value of 7, pick 1 enemy unit within 18" of the caster that is visible to them and roll 6 dice, for each 5+ until your next hero phase subtract 1 from that units bravery characteristic.

6  .... of damnation

casting value of 5, if successfully cast pick 1 friendly hedonite Hero within 6" of the caster that is visible to them, you can heal 1 wound allocated to that hero, if the casting roll was 10+ you can heal d3 wounds instead of 1. 

Forbidden sorceries of slaanesh (slaanesh greater daemons only)

1 song of secrets.

casting value of 7, if successfully cast pick 1 enemy unit wholly within 18" of the caster that is visible to them, and roll 1 dice for each model in that unit, for each 6, you receive 1 depravity point.

2 progeny of damnation

casting value of 7, if successfully cast pick 1 friendly Daemon hedonit hero within 6" and visible to them, you can heal d3 wounds allocated to that hero, if the casting roll was 10+ you can heal d6 instead.

3  slothful stupor

casting value of 8. if successfully cast pick 1 enemy hero within 12" of the caster that is visible to them. until your next hero phase that hero cannot use command abilities, cannot run or attempt to charge.

lore of pain and pleasure (mortal slaanesh wizards only)

1 Battle rapture

casting value of 5. if successfully cast pick 1 friendly mortal slaanesh unit wholly within 18" of the caster that is visible to them. do not take battleshock tests for that unit until your next hero phase. if the casting roll is 10+ you can pick 3 friendly mortal slaanesh units wholly within 18" of the caster and visible to them instead of 1.

2  Dark delusions

casting value of 5, if successfully cast pick 1 enemy unit wholly within 18" of the caster that is visible to them, and roll 2d6,  if the roll is equal or greater than that units bravery characteristic, add 1 to hit rolls for attacks that target that unit until your next hero phase.

3 hellshriek

casting value of 5, if successfully cast roll a dice for each enemy unit within 6" of the caster, on a 5+ that enemy unit suffers 1 mortal wound.

My thoughts are:

Lore of Slaanesh - Pretty lackluster, minimal utility, just a bunch of ways of doing a few mortal wounds and a really low power healing spell.

Forbidden Sorceries - Game breaking powerful. That said, difficulties are high so spells are unreliable.

Pain and Pleasure - Mediocre but potential very good.   

Hey guys, I’m a Khorne player, but I noticed one thing that I wanted to clarify, after gushing over Syll’Esske’s warscroll for a bjt:

In an Invaders Host army, if you picked a Keeper of Secrets General, give it the command trait, then pick Syll’Esske as another general, does that mean Syll’Esske can actually use their command ability, so long as they’re not closeby other generals? 

Not too sure how useful it’ll be for you guys, but was curious about it anyway. 

Have fun with the new battletome though! Syll’Esske is easily one my favorite sculpts ever (And Pretenders are still my favorite Host). 

And honestly, it’s really terrible that you guys didn’t get any mortals, but cheer up! Playing against my Slaanesh friend has been really fun for both of us, with the new rules! 

Besides: I do think GW might save Slaanesh’s release for a Necroquake scale event: And release an updated AOS 3.0 battletome for Slaanesh, similar to what Khorne got recently, except this time you guys can probably get way more new mortal models. 

1 minute ago, Kaz said:

Hey guys, I’m a Khorne player, but I noticed one thing that I wanted to clarify, after gushing over Syll’Esske’s warscroll for a bjt:

In an Invaders Host army, if you picked a Keeper of Secrets General, give it the command trait, then pick Syll’Esske as another general, does that mean Syll’Esske can actually use their command ability, so long as they’re not closeby other generals? 

Have fun with the new battletome though! Syll’Esske is easily one my favorite sculpts ever (And Pretenders are still my favorite Host). 

And honestly, it’s really terrible that you guys didn’t get any mortals, but cheer up! Playing against my Slaanesh friend has been really fun for both of us, with the new rules! 

Besides: I do think GW might save Slaanesh’s release for a Necroquake scale event: And release an updated AOS 3.0 battletome for Slaanesh, similar to what Khorne got recently, except this time you guys can probably get way more new mortal models. 

You are correct. I suspect this is by design. Otherwise, the Invaders ability wouldn't be worth much. 

3 minutes ago, Kaz said:

You are exactly correct, and its something my mates and I have been discussing. I believe invaders is probably the strongest host. Haven't seen the traits and artefacts yet myself though.

Archived