AoS 2 - Blades of Khorne Discussion

Gaz Taylor

Well, cogs (in this list) only needs to go off once. I figure the ‘Thirsters will hit like a freight train, and then the crushers can line up for impact hits and play cleanup. It’s a two-turn, two hit punch.

The summoner can pop horrors for a backfield bubble-screen/objective holder, while he fires off realm spells/horde cleanser. If he dies...well, Khorne is happy that a caster dies.

Actually, I’ll probably ACTIVELY try to get him killed after Cogs are summoned; for the blood tithe point AND fluff reasons. After all, once a caster has worn out his usefulness to Khorne...

• Like 4

@KhorgusCool You're going to have big issues maneuvering that 30 man Blood Warrior block around. Even more so to keep all the of the models wholly within all of the auras you have, with the Whipped to Fury wholly within 8" of the Bloodstoker in turns after they charge/get into combat. I'd seriously suggest try reducing the unit to 20 man instead and it'll be a world of a difference.

Edited by AresX8

1 hour ago, AresX8 said:

@KhorgusCool You're going to have big issues maneuvering that 30 man Blood Warrior block around. Even more so to keep all the of the models wholly within all of the auras you have, with the Whipped to Fury wholly within 8" of the Bloodstoker in turns after they charge/get into combat. I'd seriously suggest try reducing the unit to 20 man instead and it'll be a world of a difference.

I second this. I wanted the 30man block as well, but I’ve been told it’s too unwieldy. My secondary list is two units of 20, couple Bloodstokers in the Goretide for a huge R&C combat monster. Don’t send them in at the same time though. One at a time is perfect. 

Looking for insight here on Bloodstoker.  At least in my Khorne Mortals lists the primary scarcity is Hero slots.  We have so many great buffing units and some interesting other options from Chaos Lord Karkadrak (or Manticore even) to Daemon Prince that I can never find the space to fit my Bloodstoker.  As far as movement goes I guess I’ve just found I get enough from some Skullcrushers.  But it’s clear from these threads that the Stoker is very popular.  Based on your gaming experiences is it the rerolling Wounds I’m underestimating?  the extra charge? the combination?

How about the bloodforged Bataillon? This will improve their Resilience a lot. And if you want to go full Resilience and less speed, you might even take the flayed slaughterhost. 2+ save, lowering all Rend by - 1 is a force to be reckoned with. 

24 minutes ago, Beer & Pretzels Gamer said:

Based on your gaming experiences is it the rerolling Wounds I’m underestimating?  the extra charge? the combination?

It's both, but it's the fact that he is so reliable. His ability just happens. My only complaint with him is that the range for Whipped to Fury is very tight, but most of us lust for Blood Tithe and play MSU anyway.

A nice little afterthought is his double weapon profile. Any aura bonuses to attacks translate to +2 for him.

• Like 2

10 minutes ago, Roark said:

it's the fact that he is so reliable. His ability just happens.

So in comparison to say a Slaughterpriest (who I’m not just plunking down in the Skull Alter buff zone) where I’ve only got a 50% chance of getting the benefit I am trying for?  Or an Aspiring Deathbringer where I’m having to spend a CP for their buff.  Having failed a prayer when I really needed and similarly found the CP well dry at a critical point I can see that appeal.

But relative to a Bloodsecrator or my Wrathmongers (who admittedly aren’t competing for a Hero slot) the reliability advantage would be even.

Thanks for the food for thought. At a minimum reopens consideration of Dark Feast.  I have been strongly favoring Gore Pilgims for the Slaughterpriests and Bloodsecrator...

Edited by Beer & Pretzels Gamer

2 minutes ago, Beer & Pretzels Gamer said:

So in comparison to say a Slaughterpriest (who I’m not just plunking down in the Skull Alter buff zone) where I’ve only got a 50% chance of getting the benefit I am trying for?  Or an Aspiring Deathbringer where I’m having to spend a CP for their buff.

Exactly. There's no chance of failure and no need to invest any resources in him other than thinking carefully about where he needs to be next turn and the turn after that etc.

He is an autotake in Goretide where you catapult Blood Warriors/Reavers up the field using the command.

• Like 1

On 5/22/2020 at 7:02 PM, KhorgusCool said:

Any ideas on how to tweak this to optimize?

Consider doing the slaughterborn battalion, you have reapers anyway. Just swap aspiring for exalted, you won't get the blob into his 10" aura anyway. I think survivability will be more important than bigger secrator bubble, warriors will never punch hard enough without rend, but they can bodyblock opponent from advancing.

Instead of banner it's probably better to take gift on WoK that gives out rerolls. WoK is much easier to position.

Edited by Smooth criminal

On 5/23/2020 at 6:00 PM, Lord Krungharr said:

Yes indeed.  That’s a super good combo.  Especially when Skarbrand is incandescent 💡 

On 5/24/2020 at 9:19 AM, TimeToWaste85 said:

Followed by having him near wrath mongers for 3A!!

I always had trouble keeping Wrathmongers in range of anyone to give them the +1 attack.  I think that's a good case for using Bloodbind from a Slaughterpriest (I think that's the prayer) to pull enemies close as possible.  An allied Bray Shaman's spell is good for that too.  That's the one wizard who doesn't seem too wizardy to me; frankly he's a terrible wizard and being a Shaman I wish they would have just made them do prayers instead.  But I digress.

I love your army ging with the Bataillon I always wanted to try. You absolutely have no problems buffing Skarbrand with this build. However, maybe this is a Personal Taste, I would drop Skarbrand for Skarr Bloodwrath+10 more Wrathmongers. Having them pile in thricr makes them really murderous. 

Hi all, I'm new to AoS and have started with a mortal focused Khorne army. I was wondering if anyone has had success with using allies. I was specfically looking at Gutrot Spume and a unit of Putrid Blightkings to give the army a little more trickiness during deployment. 

Since I haven't played a game yet I realize I could be way off here especially with how synergy based the army seems to be.

6 hours ago, BestestOne said:

Hi all, I'm new to AoS and have started with a mortal focused Khorne army. I was wondering if anyone has had success with using allies. I was specfically looking at Gutrot Spume and a unit of Putrid Blightkings to give the army a little more trickiness during deployment. 

Since I haven't played a game yet I realize I could be way off here especially with how synergy based the army seems to be.

I tend to use allies very sparingly or not at all because of the very reason you mentioned. Sometimes there are units that can do something important that Khorne units can't. For example, Centigors are amazingly fast, cheap and work well as screens or interference for Bloodthirsters. Also non-Khorne Slaves to Darkness allies still benefit from a Khorne Warshrine.

I'm hesitant to pump a lot of points into other allies just because, as you suggested, they won't benefit from the multiple buff networks that are usually humming along.

4 hours ago, Roark said:

I tend to use allies very sparingly or not at all because of the very reason you mentioned. Sometimes there are units that can do something important that Khorne units can't. For example, Centigors are amazingly fast, cheap and work well as screens or interference for Bloodthirsters. Also non-Khorne Slaves to Darkness allies still benefit from a Khorne Warshrine.

I'm hesitant to pump a lot of points into other allies just because, as you suggested, they won't benefit from the multiple buff networks that are usually humming along.

Thanks for the confirmation! 

I've been running into a weird problem when building a 2k list with Khorne where I get to around 1500 points and run out of things I definitely want to put in. I feel like with most of the support heros being relatively cheap and no behemoths that would eat up points in other armies I looked at maybe someone else has run into this. I guess with that being said is it worth it to take Bloodthirsters in a mortal focused army? Ideally Skarbrand in particular because I really prefer his model.

Bloodthirsters, from what I read online, are the most competitive option in the book (280 for the Insensate Rage one is a STEAL!) Skarbrand benefits from Baleful Lords/Tyrants of Blood because it allows him to run and charge, which he sorely needs due to no flight. If he’s your only behemoth, he’ll get shot off the board fast. Nobody wants him in combat with them. He will smoke any horde unit and/or any hero without reliable saves against MWs. 

Skarbrand doesn't need to run and charge. Just bring along an Unfettered Fury Bloodthirster and he can pile in and fight while 6" away thanks to Rejoice in the Slaughter. He can have a threat range of up to 20" by doing this (8" move + 6" run (spend that CP if you REALLY need to) + 6" pile in). 

14 hours ago, BestestOne said:

I never used to use allies but lately I am realizing their utility.  

Now with Khorne you can get some units to far flung corners of the table with summoning via Blood Tithe.  But I have used gutrot spume and five kings with good success with the Legion of Azgorh.   They’re solid.   You could also get in a Plague Priest from the Skaven too; his prayers are good for anti hordes and not spells so Khorne won’t mind 🤮

The mindstealer can be a great use of a spare 100 points. Combine with reapers, sigil and even the helm artifact for one of the better morale bombs in the game. Can easily have people at bravery -4 with an extra 2d3 running. 

I wouldn’t have morale bomb as the primary tactic due to bravery immunity and people can always use a CP for non immune units but it can be a handy secondary element in an army. 

• Like 1

9 hours ago, BestestOne said:

I guess with that being said is it worth it to take Bloodthirsters in a mortal focused army?

One of my favourite lists right now is a Mortals army with a single RageThirster. Oh, and the Slaughterhost is Reapers of Vengeance. So the Thirster is the only model in the entire army who really benefits from the Host. That might seem wasteful to some, but it works really well for me. Mortal units can buff themselves and each other fine without a Host, but Thirsters are at their apex when they get to consistently attack twice.

• Like 1