AoS 2 - Gutbusters Discussion

Chris Tomlin

Hi guys, im gonna be playing in a tournament in a couple of months and will be playing gutbuster 2k. Here is my list so far:

Allegiance: Gutbusters

Leaders
Butcher (140)
- Pair of Stump Blades and Great Cauldron
Tyrant (160)
- General
- Great Gutgouger
- Artefact: Battle Brew
Butcher (140)
Butcher (140)
Firebelly (120)
- Allies

Battleline
12 x Ogors (400)
- Ogor Clubs or Blades with Iron Fists
3 x Ironguts (180)
9 x Leadbelchers (420)
3 x Ironguts (180)

Units
20 x Grots (100)

Total: 1980 / 2000
Extra Command Points: 0
Allies: 120 / 400
Wounds: 164

In 1k the butcher has been a real mvp, is there a big change for 2k? Is 3 overkill? 

Firebelly, i love the modell so i just wanted it on the table

Tyrant: the beast, kills everything

12 ogors, unstoppable

2x3 ironguts for som heavy small units

20x grots pure meatshield

6 leadbelchers for a bit of range

Any suggestions? Tips? Thankyou!

@walheim,  If you're just trying to have fun,  then the list looks good!

For more min/maxing, I'd suggest swapping your 12 ogor block to dual wielding ogor clubs.    Iron Fists are fun in min size units, but shine less for large blocks, in my opinion.

I'd also personally,  split up the Leadbelchers into several units.  either 3 blocks of 3, or  a 3 block and a 6 block.   That way, you might get lucky and have some that can double up their shots.  That, or I'd drop 3 of them and put in an ironblaster  (which is usually way more reliable for me.)  

In my 2k lists, I've found that 2 Butchers are sufficient, especially since you'll be running out of spells to cast.  Taking a third would only help to ensure that buffs go off way more reliably.  I would suggest dropping the third butcher for allying in a Fungoid Cave Shaman, and an endless spell or two.  The Fungoid would help give you extra command points -- especially useful so you can use those new command abilities to buff units with a reroll 1's to hit in melee from GHB2019. 

As we're list posting.. how does this shape up?

Ghyran

Gutbusters

Leaders

Tyrant:  bashers and slicers, wildfury, ghyrstrike, 160pts

Butcher: cauldron 140pts

Fungoid cave shamen: 90pts

Battleline

12 ogres: 400

6 leadbelchers: 280

3 ironguts: gutlord 180

3 ironguts: gutlord 180

Artillery 

Ironblaster: 120

Ironblaster: 120

Other

6 rockguts: 280

Endless spells

Arachnocauldron: 40

11 minutes ago, Rafss said:

Hello all!

I'm new here and in AoS also. I have two questions: 

1.  Where I can find point cost of Gutbusters units?
  2. Jaka jest ogólna koncepcja graniem armią Gutbusters? Is it good army in AoS?

1. GHB or on the online Warscroll builder

2. They don’t have a battletome or any allegiance abilities yet so they are not as comparable to the armies that do. Fun army to play and paint but not really competitive. May change if they get a book soon

• Like 1

Looking for some input into this potential list -

Mortal Realm: Aqshy

Leaders
Tyrant (160)
- General
- Massive Ogor Club
- Trait: Big and Brutish
- Artefact: Ignax's Scales 
Butcher (140)
Fungoid Cave-Shaman (90)

Battleline
12 x Ogors (400)
- Pairs of Ogor Clubs or Blades
12 x Ogors (400)
3 x Ironguts (180)

Units
60 x Grots (270)

Endless Spells / Terrain
Quicksilver Swords (30)

Total: 1720 / 2000
Extra Command Points: 1
Allies: 0 / 400
Wounds: 187

The Tyrant is kitted out to be survivable rather than killy, as the immunity to battleshock on the 3 blocks of infantry is resting on him remaining alive.

The last 280 points, simple question, 6 Leadbelchers or 4 Mournfang?

12 hours ago, MKsmash said:

@Lethargicadversary I would take the Gutgouger instead of the clubs. Also, not sure about the Rockguts and the Leadbelchers. Otherwise, solid list.

I tried to make a gut gouger tyrant out of irongut bits so should be good. Otherwise the belchers and trolls are because i love the models, i understand theyre eh. But i can teleport the trolls at least.

Thanks!

• Like 1

@Ajay29 ; I think that, without any offensive buffs, the Tyrant generally performs better with dual-wielding.  Plus, due to the wonky rules, the rerolls 1 to hit would also help for shooting (which helps when you're not sending your Tyrant in to melee and actively trying to keep him alive.)  I can try to find the source for me thinking this way, but it's somewhere in this thread a long while ago.

As for the remaining points, I'd be tempted to say split the difference, but I've never found much success with leadbelchers.  I'd vote instead to go for the mournfang as your fast cavalry to run down any enemy artillery/shooting units. 

• Thanks 1

12 hours ago, Ajay29 said:

Looking for some input into this potential list -

Mortal Realm: Aqshy

Leaders
Tyrant (160)
- General
- Massive Ogor Club
- Trait: Big and Brutish
- Artefact: Ignax's Scales 
Butcher (140)
Fungoid Cave-Shaman (90)

Battleline
12 x Ogors (400)
12 x Ogors (400)
3 x Ironguts (180)

Units
60 x Grots (270)

Endless Spells / Terrain
Quicksilver Swords (30)

Total: 1720 / 2000
Extra Command Points: 1
Allies: 0 / 400
Wounds: 187

The Tyrant is kitted out to be survivable rather than killy, as the immunity to battleshock on the 3 blocks of infantry is resting on him remaining alive.

The last 280 points, simple question, 6 Leadbelchers or 4 Mournfang?

Neither. 3 more Ironguts and 20 Grots.

33 minutes ago, Ajay29 said:

Really? I’d have thought another unit of grots that small would evaporate without achieving much...

Still adds bodies to the objective body count  

Keep the ironguts 2,5 inch behind where your opponent charges your screen. Unless he has 3” reach of course it allows you to wait out him selecting the charging unit, allowing you an attack with guts without retaliation. 

Zone out deepstriking or summoning. 

Cheapest unit to sit back on your own objective while you go in the offensive. 

Board control. 20 bases can take up a lot of space  

In summary I usually find some use for them. :)   

7 minutes ago, Kramer said:

Still adds bodies to the objective body count  

Keep the ironguts 2,5 inch behind where your opponent charges your screen. Unless he has 3” reach of course it allows you to wait out him selecting the charging unit, allowing you an attack with guts without retaliation. 

Zone out deepstriking or summoning. 

Cheapest unit to sit back on your own objective while you go in the offensive. 

Board control. 20 bases can take up a lot of space  

In summary I usually find some use for them. :)   

Fair point. I suppose with the amount of space the 24 ogors are already taking up behind the screen, there’s not much room for the Ironguts in my mind, but the backfield use for the other 20 stopping teleport/deep strike shenanigans can’t be denied.

1 minute ago, AthlorianStoners said:

There weren’t any BCR stuff shown in the trailer, do we think they’re being combined?

Anything is possible now. I’m guessing it’s likely. Mawtribes could be the battletome name like Orruk Tribes or Cities of Sigmar...and you could choose to play Gutbusters only, BCR only, or mix and match. Makes sense from a time standpoint. They want to get as many armies a 2.0 book as fast as possible, as seen with combining IJ and Bonesplitters or combining a bunch of sub-factions with Cities.

But who knows. Orruk Tribes is combining 2 factions that had 1.0 battletomes. Cities looks to be combining strictly factions that have never had a tome. So, no precedent really to go on.

8 minutes ago, FPC said:

Anything is possible now. I’m guessing it’s likely. Mawtribes could be the battletome name like Orruk Tribes or Cities of Sigmar...and you could choose to play Gutbusters only, BCR only, or mix and match. Makes sense from a time standpoint. They want to get as many armies a 2.0 book as fast as possible, as seen with combining IJ and Bonesplitters or combining a bunch of sub-factions with Cities.

But who knows. Orruk Tribes is combining 2 factions that had 1.0 battletomes. Cities looks to be combining strictly factions that have never had a tome. So, no precedent really to go on.

One big (but little bit hidden in the text) promise is that both Ironjawz and bonesplitters get an own allegiance ability and a third all in allegiance abilities. 

To me that sounds they are trying to fix the problem that the previous soup times have.... no reason to go single sub faction. Skaven book tried it by offering battleline if. But that’s still not working. So I’m really curious to see if they can actually make mono Ironjawz and mono bonesplitters an option (besides narrative of course). 

So if that’s a new design direction it could also be mawstribes and bcr separate but in the same book with an combined allegiance ability. But I’m willing to bet it’s going to be two books. 

And on the model... absolutely agree with the earlier comments  awesome model great way of tying in the old and still give it some new style. It seems to be a bit mongalian in inspiration. The style of moustache, the lion skin cloak flapping in the wind. Makes kind of sense when I combine the model with the text:  

‘Giving it the feel of a wandering, barbaric warrior-king’