AoS 2 - Moonclan Discussion

Chris Tomlin

17 minutes ago, novakai said:

Man if this Moonclan warband consist of squigs, a troggoth and gobbos, this is probably the most diverse and wacky squad for Warhammer quest yet. it almost makes me think that Moonclan are getting two warbands.

honestly I hope they make more of those armor grots with those helmets, they look so awesome and I would like to see a visor down version of them.

I think that it's actually a slow pre-release for Moonclan, it's a bone thrown to destruction. All they need now is a fanatic and it will be representative of the old diverse Bad Moon Goblins.

The drip feed releases are also slowly announcing things we can expect in the new battletome.

1. Flying Squigs
  2. Moonclan Troggoths
  3. What looks to be a new squig herder.

Honestly I recon it's going to be a monster mash warband.

• Replies 771
  • Created
  • Last Reply
1 hour ago, Malakree said:

I think that it's actually a slow pre-release for Moonclan, it's a bone thrown to destruction. All they need now is a fanatic and it will be representative of the old diverse Bad Moon Goblins.

The drip feed releases are also slowly announcing things we can expect in the new battletome.

1. Flying Squigs
  2. Moonclan Troggoths
  3. What looks to be a new squig herder.

Honestly I recon it's going to be a monster mash warband.

I think this assessment is dead on.

So wait I forget, which models showcased are for warhammer quest and which are for shadespire?

Judging from previous Warhammer Quest and Shadespire stuff

Warhammer Quest are 100% complete new generic units/heroes (minus the 2 weird aelves that aren't part of any faction for some reason) so either you buy WQ to get said models or wait for the general box to be released (like a lot of the tzeentch stuff).

Shade Spire Warbands are "Unique" versions of generic units, either can be used as a unique unit or used as "more model variety" for the generic unit. So eventually there will be a generic version of these new shadespire warbands.

Curious if the Grot Spiders are gong to be moonclan, or if they're technically suppose to be for Spiderfang...if Spiderfang ever actually gets updated.

4 minutes ago, kenshin620 said:

So wait I forget, which models showcased are for warhammer quest and which are for shadespire?

Judging from previous Warhammer Quest and Shadespire stuff

Warhammer Quest are 100% complete new generic units/heroes (minus the 2 weird aelves that aren't part of any faction for some reason) so either you buy WQ to get said models or wait for the general box to be released (like a lot of the tzeentch stuff).

Shade Spire Warbands are "Unique" versions of generic units, either can be used as a unique unit or used as "more model variety" for the generic unit. So eventually there will be a generic version of these new shadespire warbands.

Curious if the Grot Spiders are gong to be moonclan, or if they're technically suppose to be for Spiderfang...if Spiderfang ever actually gets updated.

oh I mess up on my post, I meant Warhammer Underworld or Shadespire not Warhammer quest, none of the stuff shown are for Warhammer quest, the Grot, Troggoth, and Squig where all confirm to be for Shadespire/Warhammer Underworlds.

I do think that these model are representative of new model for Moonclan that are coming soon-ish since WarCom has been teasing this warband the most out of all of them. 

2 hours ago, ChatBatFun said:

What’s the squig gobba best for, taking out mass infantry? Is he even worth is ?

best artillery option now yes. Reason is that there is so much deepstriking / infinite range stuff now that gitmob artillery gets its crew killed too easily. The gobba however can move and fire with your grots, and even bite the enemy, and has 8 wounds! Or just leave it on a back objective to shoot stuff whilst holding it, and surviving any long range threats. 

53 minutes ago, Sheriff said:

best artillery option now yes. Reason is that there is so much deepstriking / infinite range stuff now that gitmob artillery gets its crew killed too easily. The gobba however can move and fire with your grots, and even bite the enemy, and has 8 wounds! Or just leave it on a back objective to shoot stuff whilst holding it, and surviving any long range threats. 

I bought a grot bundle off eBay that has one in. Haven't used it yet, not even painted, because it didn't look that good to me.

Have you used it, how's it performed?

2 minutes ago, Malakree said:

I bought a grot bundle off eBay that has one in. Haven't used it yet, not even painted, because it didn't look that good to me.

Have you used it, how's it performed?

Not used in a tournament yet but in casual games its been great placed inside a gitmob archer unit, that both get the burning head plonked in the middle of them all. They all hit on 3s rerolling 1s and nuke stuff effectively, and it also helps out when they inevitably get targeted in melee with its chomps. 

I play it in a list of 3x60 grots, where each grot blob gets a helper elite unit inside it: 3 felwater trogs, 3 felwater trogs, gobba. Objective dominance list but without a killy unit that aggressively chases down enemy threats... 

3 minutes ago, Sheriff said:

Not used in a tournament yet but in casual games its been great placed inside a gitmob archer unit, that both get the burning head plonked in the middle of them all. They all hit on 3s rerolling 1s and nuke stuff effectively, and it also helps out when they inevitably get targeted in melee with its chomps. 

I play it in a list of 3x60 grots, where each grot blob gets a helper elite unit inside it: 3 felwater trogs, 3 felwater trogs, gobba. Objective dominance list but without a killy unit that aggressively chases down enemy threats... 

Yeah, I've tried out the colossal squig I got and that was fantastic. Just sad that the basalisk is a behemoth ?

I think I've only got 40 or so moonclan grots but with my 60 gitmob I'm definitely going to try out moonclan when the battletome comes out. Was always my plan to start with ironjawz then slowly build up my allied units till I can run other destruction armies.

Got a converted rogue idol I need to base and snow up before i can test it. 

How do you deal with tanked up things like a 1+ stardrake or phoneixs or is it just ignore them and score objectives?

3 minutes ago, Malakree said:

How do you deal with tanked up things like a 1+ stardrake or phoneixs or is it just ignore them and score objectives?

Yeah just ignore them and deny them space. Everything is on our terms, including their charge phase B|. You just gotta hold objectives for 3 turns then die happily. (and not care about kill points). Which works nicely given we get given first turn most games (seems like about 80% of games)

4 hours ago, Sheriff said:

Do you ever try units of 40 instead of 60? 60 seems like an awful lot, both from a hobby/painting perspective and even from a points perspective. Really I'm hoping someone will convince me that I don't have to build and paint 60 Grots for a single unit. ?‍♂️

23 minutes ago, Warboss Gorbolg said:

Do you ever try units of 40 instead of 60? 60 seems like an awful lot, both from a hobby/painting perspective and even from a points perspective. Really I'm hoping someone will convince me that I don't have to build and paint 60 Grots for a single unit. ?‍♂️

It wish it were the case ma dude, but yeah 60 is the sweet spot for several reasons.

1. you get a max unit discount

2. you have the bodies that outweigh almost everything else for capping objectives.

3. you can withstand the casualties and get the + to wound bonus longer

4.....and the biggest reason........you get 9 nets....these are the bread and butter and why we bring the units...hitting on 4's/3 attacks a piece at 2" and the debuff make them one of the best unit weapons in the game. I like to line my whole front rank with em and watch things like blight kings turn to wet blankets 

so yeah its fairly important that you bring 60....if you want the unit to be optimized

19 minutes ago, novakai said:

Do you guys by any chance use movement trays to make it easier to move your 60 grot units in the movement phase?

Yes!  I use the Warpath Team bases because they are the cheapest option I’ve found - $15 to $16 for 10x 5-model bases delivered (eBay or Amazon if your flgs doesn’t have them) - so $1.50 per 5-model tray, made of plastic and a bit lower profile that the other options that are laser cut wood and cost $3+ per 5-man tray (but bigger ones also available).  They are spaced out a bit at about 1/4” between models, so provides a nice balance between other options that are either all adjacent or 1” apart skirmish lines.  There are several manufacturers and sellers of laser-cut wood  options, again which might be more optimized for skirmish line or packed base adjacent.

I also find that even if I do two rows of the warpath bases (so four ranks of models) I can still pile in to three ranks for the spear attacks given the spacing on the bases.

2 hours ago, novakai said:

Do you guys by any chance use movement trays to make it easier to move your 60 grot units in the movement phase?

LOL I click the wrong button, the other forum im on has Replay to in the report, i was wonder why it didnt post, sorry about that!

But i do use them, only for deployment and turn 1, i use a sheet of plasticard for each 60man unit.

4 hours ago, Morglum StormBasha said:

Yeah I think all of this seasons shadespire warbands are led by a wizard - so a troggoth wizard as well maybe?

Since the warband pictured has 5ish models is it crazy to think that the second warband will have only 2-3 models with a troggoth wizard and the flying squig being 2.

12 minutes ago, svnvaldez said:

Since the warband pictured has 5ish models is it crazy to think that the second warband will have only 2-3 models with a troggoth wizard and the flying squig being 2.

The grot in the centre on the bottom row is clearly the poker grot from the other day. Given that there are squigs featured I would definitely go with the flying squig also being in the squad.

That would give us.

• Grot Wizard as the leader
  • Fanatic Grot
  • Netter Grot
  • Herder Grot
  • Troggoth
  • Flying Squig
  • Normal Squig

Imo the squig on the right looks like the flying squig.

E61OOqko8n-75AT7D9bf1hzmBrd1h0-iGtElj38p

1326041259_NightvaultMoonclan.jpg.ea86b9ec9be85c8393bff95fc70afd23.jpg It's "legs" aren't in the proper place for a squigs normal feet. Also the "leg" towards the left is in the position of a wing.

Compare that to the squig on the right which is much more traditionally proportioned.

11 hours ago, Warboss Gorbolg said:

Have tried yes, and 60 is way better for many reasons, and actually wins you games as a result. With 3x60 you can dominate objectives for 3 turns, which often wins you the game, then you have like 600 points to fill with your favourite monsters. 

Archived