AoS 2 - Ironjawz Discussion

Chris Tomlin

23 minutes ago, PainfullyMediocre said:

What does your list look like? I've got an event on in 2 weeks and i'm torn between Kragnos, FLOSH, Huskard and 3x2 Mournfang or trying him in a Big Waagh list.

No idea yet at the moment as I'm debating between a Maw Krusha with him or two foot bosses to go up the board with an honor guard of 10 Brutes each for them. I'm not convinced Kragnos is better than a Maw Krusha especially for his price but its a wicked cool model and I wanna have him on the table. 

4 minutes ago, ShaneHobbes said:

No idea yet at the moment as I'm debating between a Maw Krusha with him or two foot bosses to go up the board with an honor guard of 10 Brutes each for them. I'm not convinced Kragnos is better than a Maw Krusha especially for his price but its a wicked cool model and I wanna have him on the table. 

Fair enough, I did write out an MSU Choppaz list with the idea that I can buff 5 units of Ardboyz a turn for attacking/trading better with Kragnos and 2x3 Gruntas as a second wave to kick stuff away.

40 minutes ago, ShaneHobbes said:

I have a feeling Ironclad won't be in/the same in our book next month. Also I agree about the Weirdknob. I can never find myself ever wanting to take him.

That could very well be the case. i would hate it if that was to be true but i could see it happen. Really love this mawkrusha build. So much fun.

It's hard. i really like the teleport for blowing up screens or taking objectives with my 10 man ardboys unit but it almost never goes off. Right now im thinking Fungoid for the extra CPs or ardboys for more bodies

1 hour ago, ShaneHobbes said:

I have a feeling Ironclad won't be in/the same in our book next month. Also I agree about the Weirdknob. I can never find myself ever wanting to take him.

I agree. He is really bad for his cost. I take a Wurrgog Prophet, two casts, two unbinds, a CP generation, a great signature spell. He really has everything I need.

Question : in 3ed, when taking a prophet as ally or coalition, can I give him a bonesplitterz artefact?

• LOVE IT! 1

5 minutes ago, Backbreaker said:

I agree. He is really bad for his cost. I take a Wurrgog Prophet, two casts, two unbinds, a CP generation, a great signature spell. He really has everything I need.

Question : in 3ed, when taking a prophet as ally or coalition, can I give him a bonesplitterz artefact?

Nope no artifacts for Coalition/Allies nor can he take a spell from the Bonesplitterz Lore. Only way to get access to both Ironjawz and Bonesplitterz artifacts is Big Waaagh

2 minutes ago, ShaneHobbes said:

Nope no artifacts for Coalition/Allies nor can he take a spell from the Bonesplitterz Lore. Only way to get access to both Ironjawz and Bonesplitterz artifacts is Big Waaagh

Still worth it but I had a list in mind with the Rogue Idol that cannot work now...

I've only had one 3.0 game so far with my Ironjawz, though to good success, and I'm looking forward to more games. There are two things that I have been pondering, though:
Are Morgok's Krushas really as bad in 3.0 as @PlasticCraic made them out to be 2.0? It's 95 for three brutes which normally cost 30 a piece, plus 5pts for their special rule that will never come up.
I find that my points in lists usually fit well together before to hit 2k or very near, now leaves bigger gaps, and I thinking that a small 95pts unit like Krushas might find a spot.

Also is Ironjawz or perhaps rather Big Waaagh magic heavy as dead or dead'er in 3.0? I am looking at an primarily Ironjawz army in Big Waaagh with a Prophet, Wardokk and Fungiod mixed in along the Weirdnob and Rogue Idol.

Edit: I thought maybe I should share the list I was thinking of as the details probably matter a bit 🙂

Allegiance: Big Waaagh!

- Mortal Realm: Ghur

- Grand Strategy: Hold the Line

- Triumphs: Inspired

Leaders

Orruk Megaboss (160) in Battle Regiment

- General

- Command Trait: Brutish Cunning

- Artefact: Metalrippa's Klaw

Orruk Warchanter (120) in Warlord

- Warbeat: Killa Beat

Orruk Weirdnob Shaman (120) in Warlord

- Lore of the Weird: Mighty 'Eadbutt

Wardokk (85) in Warlord

- Lore of the Savage Beast: Gorkamorka's War Cry

- Universal Prayer Scripture: Curse

Wurrgog Prophet (170) in Battle Regiment

- Artefact: Mork's Boney Bitz

Fungoid Cave-Shaman (95) in Battle Regiment

- Universal Spell Lore: Ghost-mist

- Allies

Battleline

6 x Orruk Gore-gruntas (340) in Battle Regiment

- Pig-iron Choppas

- Reinforced x 1

3 x Orruk Gore-gruntas (170) in Battle Regiment

- Pig-iron Choppas

5 x Orruk Brutes (150) in Battle Regiment

- Pair of Brute Choppas

- 1x Gore Choppas

- Pair of Brute Choppas

- 1x Gore Choppas

Behemoths

Rogue Idol (420) in Battle Regiment

Core Battalions

Warlord

Battle Regiment

Additional Enhancements

Artefact

Total: 1980 / 2000

Reinforced Units: 1 / 4

Allies: 95 / 400

Wounds: 126

Edited by Spiky Norman
Included list
  • LOVE IT! 1

Morgok's Krushas didn't go up proportionally to brutes so they're probably fine for this tiny window pre-codex.

On the other hand, Ardboys fit snuggly into any space Krushas fit into and are mostly just better? Krushas do a hair more damage but the Ardboys are faster, have more wounds and their shield save. Krushas being a tiny squad are less vulnerable to battleshock than full brute squads but still, lose one guy and they can fail. It's not a big enough difference to never bring Krushas but they're not exactly standing out.

• Like 1

11 hours ago, NauticalSoup said:

Morgok's Krushas didn't go up proportionally to brutes so they're probably fine for this tiny window pre-codex.

On the other hand, Ardboys fit snuggly into any space Krushas fit into and are mostly just better? Krushas do a hair more damage but the Ardboys are faster, have more wounds and their shield save. Krushas being a tiny squad are less vulnerable to battleshock than full brute squads but still, lose one guy and they can fail. It's not a big enough difference to never bring Krushas but they're not exactly standing out.

Plus they aren't battleline.

12 hours ago, Spiky Norman said:

I've only had one 3.0 game so far with my Ironjawz, though to good success, and I'm looking forward to more games. There are two things that I have been pondering, though:
Are Morgok's Krushas really as bad in 3.0 as @PlasticCraic made them out to be 2.0? It's 95 for three brutes which normally cost 30 a piece, plus 5pts for their special rule that will never come up.
I find that my points in lists usually fit well together before to hit 2k or very near, now leaves bigger gaps, and I thinking that a small 95pts unit like Krushas might find a spot.

Also is Ironjawz or perhaps rather Big Waaagh magic heavy as dead or dead'er in 3.0? I am looking at an primarily Ironjawz army in Big Waaagh with a Prophet, Wardokk and Fungiod mixed in along the Weirdnob and Rogue Idol.

Edit: I thought maybe I should share the list I was thinking of as the details probably matter a bit 🙂

Allegiance: Big Waaagh!

- Mortal Realm: Ghur

- Grand Strategy: Hold the Line

- Triumphs: Inspired

Leaders

Orruk Megaboss (160) in Battle Regiment

- General

- Command Trait: Brutish Cunning

- Artefact: Metalrippa's Klaw

Orruk Warchanter (120) in Warlord

- Warbeat: Killa Beat

Orruk Weirdnob Shaman (120) in Warlord

- Lore of the Weird: Mighty 'Eadbutt

Wardokk (85) in Warlord

- Universal Prayer Scripture: Curse

Wurrgog Prophet (170) in Battle Regiment

- Artefact: Mork's Boney Bitz

Fungoid Cave-Shaman (95) in Battle Regiment

- Universal Spell Lore: Ghost-mist

- Allies

Battleline

6 x Orruk Gore-gruntas (340) in Battle Regiment

- Pig-iron Choppas

- Reinforced x 1

3 x Orruk Gore-gruntas (170) in Battle Regiment

- Pig-iron Choppas

- Pair of Brute Choppas

- 1x Gore Choppas

- Pair of Brute Choppas

- 1x Gore Choppas

Behemoths

Rogue Idol (420) in Battle Regiment

Core Battalions

Warlord

Battle Regiment

Additional Enhancements

Artefact

Total: 1980 / 2000

Reinforced Units: 1 / 4

Allies: 95 / 400

Wounds: 126

Can i ask what you would use the Wardokk for in this list? Interested in the synergy

On 7/18/2021 at 5:43 PM, Malakree said:

EDIT: I'm also seriously thinking that an emerald lifeswarm to sit the mawkrusha might be close to mandatory now. D3 heal every hero phase and using it to block some envelops seems so good on paper.

I've seen Emerald Lifeswarm do a heavy lifting last weekend, it was quite painful to watch as the Fyreslayer player had problems to dispell it. It brought back 10+ wounds on Belakor in one game. It's a really good power, even if you cast it only once and it gets dispelled afterwards it should be atleast 2D3 Heal. 

Just now, Malakree said:

What are people's thoughts on a warchanter with arcane tome. If you just want a wizard for hand of gork the lore is usable by any ironjawz wizard.

Seems like a solid option?

Does Arcane Tome let you pick from spell lores? I assumed you only were able to use mystic shield and arcane bolt from the wording on the artifact.

Just now, ShaneHobbes said:

Does Arcane Tome let you pick from spell lores? I assumed you only were able to use mystic shield and arcane bolt from the wording on the artifact.

It makes them a wizard. The free spell lore enhancement then let's them take a spell. It's then both an Ironjawz and a Wizard so is able to take from the lore of the weird.

Just now, Malakree said:

It makes them a wizard. The free spell lore enhancement then let's them take a spell. It's then both an Ironjawz and a Wizard so is able to take from the lore of the weird.

Then that actually sounds like a good idea. 120 points for warchanter/weirdknob

In the same veins as @Malakree, I have a question about wizards and priests that I asked a few pages back but never got answered. The Wardokk has both the PRIEST and WIZARD keyword. Does this mean he can both cast a spell and cast a prayer in the same turn? Could he then, for example, dispel 2 endless spells in the same turn? (once using a spell, the other using a prayer)

I'm really confused about this guy and its dual role. I can't find any info differentiating both roles and I'd like to see how you guys would play the Wardokk. 

Thanks in advance.

10 hours ago, Backbreaker said:

He can boost the Rogue Idol: +1 save, a generic prayer and a spell like double movement :) 

Very nice, I hadn't thought about this. Looks like if you pair the Wardokk with the Prophet you can also add +1 to casting, dispelling and unbinding which could be handy for Fists of Gork going off on a 4 instead of 5. MW's on 4+ if casting roll is 10+, very nice

11 hours ago, Bruteforce said:

Can i ask what you would use the Wardokk for in this list? Interested in the synergy

As have already been mentioned, the Wardokk is a very versatile buff piece. Can buff the Rogue Idol, or just use the base Bonesplittas spells like the Warcry.

Currently he seems pretty cheap to me, but let's see what happens in the new battletome in a month. 🙂

On 7/20/2021 at 5:58 AM, Spiky Norman said:

If you like the models, don't let me be the one to crush your dreams!

My main problem is that they were a pathetic failure of imagination moreso than that they were bad rules as such.  Brutes are OK, and what you have here is Brutes, but less of them.

One of the problems at the time was that they couldn't fit in our (excellent) Warscroll Battalions, which isn't a factor now, so they've made back ground in that regard.  I'd still take 5 Ardboyz over them though tbh, for all the reasons pointed out by @NauticalSoupbut mainly for the extra speed. 

You could also look at squeezing in an extra hero, or allying in a fun and useful piece like their fellow warband Rippa's Snarlfangs, but really in a straight like-for-like I'd still go with the Ardboyz personally.  The additional speed just makes them better.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, PlasticCraic said:

If you like the models, don't let me be the one to crush your dreams!

[...]

You could also look at squeezing in an extra hero, or allying in a fun and useful piece like their fellow warband Rippa's Snarlfangs, but really in a straight like-for-like I'd still go with the Ardboyz personally.  The additional speed just makes them better.

I personally don't like the Ardboys models, so I run without them, even though I know they were and still are quite useful. But I really love the Brutes in Morgok's Krushas, so that was my initial reason to look into whether or not they would still be total garbage 🙂

About the Rippa's Snarlfangs, are you considering them useful just based on their 12" move, or is there anything else hiding there?

1 hour ago, Spiky Norman said:

I personally don't like the Ardboys models, so I run without them, even though I know they were and still are quite useful. But I really love the Brutes in Morgok's Krushas, so that was my initial reason to look into whether or not they would still be total garbage 🙂

About the Rippa's Snarlfangs, are you considering them useful just based on their 12" move, or is there anything else hiding there?

If you aren't using Ardboys then the Krushas are a good alternative around that price point for more defensive/zone control type roles that would normally be 5 man ardboys.

As to Rippa's, they are a fast and cheap unit which is always really useful to have to threaten exactly the kind of defence I listed above, small points controlling units which aren't super dangerous.

In addition they have a ranged weapon, which is always a benefit, not irrelevant melee damage especially from the mounts. Most important though is the 6" pile in, it means you can run and still pile in/attack, don't have to charge which stops the stand and shoot but it also means you ALWAYS get to activate them before the opponent.

For 70 points their only weakness is the drastically low wounds making them super fragile.

• Like 2

I’ve been playing around a bit with Choppas Clan and MSU 5 man Ardboy units. 

They are still remarkably resilient and the warchanter can boost 3 units. Combine this with their natural re-roll charges when within 12” of a terrain feature part/whole in enemy territory (which is most of the time) at +3 and you’re getting a lot of orruks in. 

The MSU approach also benefits the Mighty Waaagh which you can just about guarantee goes off for +2 attacks. 

Suddenly your 5 man, 95 point Ard boy unit is packing 22 -1 rend damage 2 attacks. Time to smash and bash! 

(I’ll generally include a couple of units of Brutes to go monster/5 wound model hunting too)

Edited by VonSmall

6 hours ago, Malakree said:

[...]

As to Rippa's, they are a fast and cheap unit which is always really useful to have to threaten exactly the kind of defence I listed above, small points controlling units which aren't super dangerous.

In addition they have a ranged weapon, which is always a benefit, not irrelevant melee damage especially from the mounts. Most important though is the 6" pile in, it means you can run and still pile in/attack, don't have to charge which stops the stand and shoot but it also means you ALWAYS get to activate them before the opponent.

For 70 points their only weakness is the drastically low wounds making them super fragile.

I know we're going down a tangent in relations to Ironjawz, but why does the Rippas rule mean that they always get to activate before the opponent?

It just says that they are eligible to fight in the combat phase.