AoS 2 - Ironjawz Discussion

Chris Tomlin

Personnally I really like live to fight, I think it's one of the only trait that would make me forgo specific tribe. A 40+ damages charging MK (60 with destroyer) look amazing. Brutish cunning is really good, but i also agree that we have other source of CP.  I guess it get more value if you don't have ironfist, but 1 free cp per turn should be enough. I'm pretty sure once you start fighting in the hero phase and warchanter are not dead that is pretty much game over. One of the reason fixing beat is really good is that it also protect warchanter against grinding shoot / spell. In fact it might worth to just double it up.

23 minutes ago, Martijn de Bruin said:

@Malakree

So in the case of playing pure Ironjawz and taking Brutish Cunning, what do you consider the best combination of artefact and mount trait on a single Maw-Krusha?

Take a look https://plasticcraic.blog/2019/10/15/cabbage-soup-part-2-building-your-own-maw-krusha/

It can give you some ideas to know how to build your Maw Krusha 

• Thanks 3

24 minutes ago, Martijn de Bruin said:

@Malakree

So in the case of playing pure Ironjawz and taking Brutish Cunning, what do you consider the best combination of artefact and mount trait on a single Maw-Krusha?

For reference, this is the list I'm toying with;

Allegiance: Ironjawz
Mortal Realm: Hysh

Leaders
Megaboss on Maw-Krusha (460)
- General
- Boss Gore-hacka and Choppa
- Trait: Brutish Cunning
- Artefact: Gleaming Blade
- Mount Trait: Weird 'Un
Orruk Warchanter (110)
- Artefact: Aetherquartz Brooch
- Warbeat: Fixin' Beat
Orruk Warchanter (110)
- Warbeat: Killa Beat

Battleline
15 x Orruk Ardboys (270)
- 1x Gorkamorka Banner Bearers
- 1x Gorkamorka Glyph Bearers
15 x Orruk Ardboys (270)
6 x Orruk Gore-gruntas (320)
- Pig-iron Choppas
5 x Orruk Brutes (140)
- Pair of Brute Choppas
5 x Orruk Brutes (140)
- Pair of Brute Choppas

Battalions
Ironfist (160)

Total: 1980 / 2000
Extra Command Points: 1
Allies: 0 / 400
Wounds: 147

• Like 1

39 minutes ago, Martijn de Bruin said:

@Malakree

To be honest I'm probably not the best person to answer this. I'll give you an answer but I think @broche,@Skumbaagh or @PlasticCraic would be better. I'm very much in favour of ironsunz and have played only double MK for a year. As a result single lists are theory crafting more than anything. If I was going to test the bloodtoofs list from previously it would include 2 cabbages.

That said your list is running a lot great WC buff targets, to the point I might suggest going for Da Choppas instead. I know you said pure IJ but if I'm theory crafting 😉

Honestly my starting loadout would basically always be Mean Un and Daubing of Mork. Damage and generic survivability.

Destroyer/Metalrippa's are the damage artefacts. I'd look at those if you went for one of the more utility orientated mount traits like Fast Un or Weird Un.

There's a big -hit option with Loud Un/Gleaming Blade but that's really esoteric IMO. I'd never take Heavy Un without Hulking Muscle-bound Brute or Big Un ever.

As far as Hysh artefacts go gleaming blade or mirrored curiass are the only half decent ones. Even then I'd start with daubing of mork instead.

So...with the gorehacka and choppa I personally would either go. Metalrippa's and Weird Un for a scaling threat variant or Daubing of Mork and Mean Un for a more generic variant.

Seriously though, you still have the same question but look at running da choppas with your list. +1 damage on the 6 ggs, 2 blocks of ardboys and 1 of the brutes is amazing.

• Like 1

16 hours ago, svnvaldez said:

I think you will do very well with it :)

My friend,

I have witnessed the true power of a full-on Gore-gruntas charge with a unit of 6 and it is murderous.

First turn, I move my Gore-Gruntas 9", I use Mighty Destroyers on them to move another 9" to get close to a unit of 20 Stabbas (with a unit of Fanatics hidden inside). My GGs are buffed with +1 damage from Warchanter (the thing that is insane is that the boars get +1 damage as well. Phew!) In the charge phase, he gets the Fanatics out to protect the 20 Stabbas. I charge at the Fanatics (because we now do frigging MW on charge) I do a total of 5 MW!. His devastating unit of Fanatics is now GONE. Then in the combat phase I pile-in and proceed to murder the ****** out of the Stabbas. Only 2 remain at the end. That's essentially 23 wounds dished out in a single combat phase. It's INSANE. The GGs are such beasts, and they are an especially good counter to the fanatics which we couldn't stop before. Wow. I'm impressed at their efficiency.  Here's a pic of the massacre. Thanks for the suggestion @svnvaldez and your sound advice. It really paid off because I didn't have that in mind initially.

GG.png

Edited by Jabbuk
  • Like 2
  • Haha 1
  • LOVE IT! 1

2 hours ago, Martijn de Bruin said:

For reference, this is the list I'm toying with;

Leaders
- General
Orruk Warchanter (110)
Orruk Warchanter (110)

Battleline
15 x Orruk Ardboys (270)
15 x Orruk Ardboys (270)
- Pig-iron Choppas
5 x Orruk Brutes (140)
- Pair of Brute Choppas
5 x Orruk Brutes (140)
- Pair of Brute Choppas

Battalions
Ironfist (160)

Total: 1980 / 2000
Extra Command Points: 1
Wounds: 147

Leaders
- General
- Boss Choppa and Rip-tooth fist
- Trait: Ironclad  
Orruk Warchanter (110)
Orruk Warchanter (110)
- Artefact: Lens of Refraction 
- Warbeat: Get 'Em Beat

Battleline
5 x Orruk Ardboys (90)
5 x Orruk Ardboys (90)
5 x Orruk Brutes (140)
- Pair of Brute Choppas
- Pig-iron Choppas
5 x Orruk Brutes (140)
- Pair of Brute Choppas
5 x Orruk Ardboys (90)
5 x Orruk Ardboys (90)

Battalions
Ironfist (160)
Ardfist (120)

Endless Spells / Terrain / CPs
Extra Command Point (50)

Total: 1970 / 2000
Extra Command Points: 3
Wounds: 127

This was a similar list I came up with more for funsies and just to see what could happen more than anything.  Lot of points spent on batallions but I’d really like to see the synergy between gleaming blade (I know not the best) and SoV. Every combat round not only going up one wound characteristic but also healing that +1 wound. MK sitting on a 2+ save healing and gaining an attack/wound for every wound it does/model slain. Weird Un for ignoring Spell MW then either prism or in this case lens to reduce the amount coming in. If you go prism the warchanter should be close enough he can dish out MW in both shooting phases assuming he’s screened and  others are locked up in combat. Aetherquartz because aetherquartz. 

Brutes and GGs tied up in the Ironfist for a free MD. Ardboys in their fist minimum size so they can come hopefully come back as 10 and disrupt/cause chaos.  On a mission like Duality this could sit on both objectives pretty comfortably. Fixin best WC with the gruntas and the reflect/prism one babysitting the MK.  Even on other missions plenty of units to spread about for objective control. 
*also how do I make a spoiler tag so it’s not ridiculously long in the future*

Edited by Tezia99

Anyone have a couple of games under their belt yet running 2 MKs? 

I want a tank and a beatstick

1: Ironclad, Ignax, Loud un', Rip-toof

2: Destroyer, Mean un' Hacka+Choppa

Also thinking to give the beatstick the Sword of Judgment for a sweet sweet late game murder. And then just give my tank the Daubing

I'd like 2 warchanters but it's really hard to fit them in with the Ironfist. I definitely want a unit of 6GG because that's how it should be. Any good ideas on how to fill it out? I'm going Big Waaagh because I think the passives are going to be huge and I prefer the non forced traits and artifacts.

Edited by Chase

3 hours ago, Martijn de Bruin said:

I think @PlasticCraic blog do the best job at breaking down the option.

I think the most survivable set up is Ironclad + Ignax scale (i would still take mean'un as trait, as weird'un + scale is overkill, and loud'un is just 1 turn). You almost get 50/50 of surviving a double pile-in by a buffed Terrorgheist. The really good part of this set up is that you're basicly immune to no rend units (hello plague monk, fury ect.)  With this set up I would take rip tooth fist I think, as it will pile up damage really quick agains horde.

The most aggressive set up is Live to fight + destroyer + mean'un (average 60+ damages on the charge with +1 to hit and warchanter buff).

There is good in between solution too. For exemple, Live to fight + mean'un + etheral amulet give you both excellent damage and defense and is probably one of the best overall set up.

Ironsunz default set up  is super good as well, you sacrifice trait but Artefact is almost as good as Etheral amulet but don't prevent you from taking the Brooch, and the -1 to hit will protect you from shooting in round 1.

No matter the set up you choose, I think Mystic shield is actually vital if you plan to throw your Cabbage up front and hope he will survive. So you need at least to splash 1 wizard. Cheapest option is Fungoid (still super solid as it will resplendish your CP), and I would consider getting a casting bonus to increase MS consistency.

• Thanks 1

2 hours ago, Malakree said:

To be honest I'm probably not the best person to answer this. I'll give you an answer but I think @broche,@Skumbaagh or @PlasticCraic would be better. I'm very much in favour of ironsunz and have played only double MK for a year. As a result single lists are theory crafting more than anything. If I was going to test the bloodtoofs list from previously it would include 2 cabbages.

That said your list is running a lot great WC buff targets, to the point I might suggest going for Da Choppas instead. I know you said pure IJ but if I'm theory crafting 😉

Honestly my starting loadout would basically always be Mean Un and Daubing of Mork. Damage and generic survivability.

Destroyer/Metalrippa's are the damage artefacts. I'd look at those if you went for one of the more utility orientated mount traits like Fast Un or Weird Un.

There's a big -hit option with Loud Un/Gleaming Blade but that's really esoteric IMO. I'd never take Heavy Un without Hulking Muscle-bound Brute or Big Un ever.

As far as Hysh artefacts go gleaming blade or mirrored curiass are the only half decent ones. Even then I'd start with daubing of mork instead.

So...with the gorehacka and choppa I personally would either go. Metalrippa's and Weird Un for a scaling threat variant or Daubing of Mork and Mean Un for a more generic variant.

Seriously though, you still have the same question but look at running da choppas with your list. +1 damage on the 6 ggs, 2 blocks of ardboys and 1 of the brutes is amazing.

Good point on Da Choppas . I will test them with this list at some point. I`m really in love with (free) Mighty Destroyers though and whilst playing a match the other day (as Ironsunz) I noticed I was using command points for +1 to hit, re-roll 1's and inspiring presence next to MD. The ability to  reserve and spend CP's on those proved vital in absolutely wrecking my opponent (he was playing SCE) so therefor want to give Brutish Cunning a go.

In regards to artefact choice, Metalrippa is definitely on my list for good options. I felt like actually healing wounds next to SfV could be better in the long game because of the damage table and losing movement/damage. Was wondering if anyone had more experience with it. 

Guess we'll have to wait for some more tournament results to see what is more successful. 

@Arkahn thanks for the link, insightful read from @PlasticCraic on trait/artefact combinations.

Edited by Martijn de Bruin
  • Like 2

Don't know why I didn't think of this in the first place...

- Warclan: Ironjawz
Mortal Realm: Aqshy

Leaders
- General
- Boss Choppa and Rip-tooth fist
- Trait: Ironclad
- Artefact: Ignax's Scales
- Mount Trait: Loud 'Un
Gordrakk the Fist of Gork (540)
- Mount Trait: Mean 'Un
Orruk Warchanter (110)
Orruk Warchanter (110)

Battleline
- Pig-iron Choppas
5 x Orruk Brutes (140)
- Pair of Brute Choppas
5 x Orruk Brutes (140)
- Pair of Brute Choppas
10 x Orruk Ardboys (180)

Total: 2000 / 2000
Extra Command Points: 0
Wounds: 123

P.S. I'm a noob to this forum. How do I hide text in a drop down (on mobile)?

The Bowling Bully Brothers!

Now with grots to bully ..

(no need to stay back for footslogging warchanters, cause there aint none!)

"Hmm.. should I focus on the right side of the board?"
"S-T-R-I-K-E!"
"Oh I won the roll off.." Sure, I'll go for the left side!"

Leaders
- General
- Mount Trait:  Loud 'Un
- Mount Trait: Big 'Un
Fungoid Cave-Shaman (90)
- Allies
Fungoid Cave-Shaman (90)
- Allies

Battleline
5 x Orruk Ardboys (90)
5 x Orruk Ardboys (90)
5 x Orruk Ardboys (90)
5 x Orruk Ardboys (90)

Total: 2000 / 2000
Extra Command Points: 0
Allies: 180 / 400
Wounds: 94

Seriously.. keep the cabbages out of reach in the back until an opportunity shows.

3 minutes ago, svnvaldez said:

Hahaha I love the thought. I tried multiple times to make 3 FLs work. 2 was better.

Also Ardboyz need to be 10+ to be battleline. I missed that as well on the first read.

Only in the big waagh right? I am not sure about the wording in the book thou. "Battleline in Ironjawz or Big Waagh! army  if unit has 10 or more models"

Warscrollbuilder has it in big waagh only but they have been wrong before.

• Like 1

38 minutes ago, Martijn de Bruin said:

In regards to artefact choice, Metalrippa is definitely on my list for good options. I felt like actually healing wounds next to SfV could be better in the long game because of the damage table and losing movement/damage. Was wondering if anyone had more experience with it. 

From my limited experience getting charted isn't actually that painful anymore because as you chart and the cabbage drops in damage your Megaboss is gaining attacks and going up in damage. Hence going for a utility option like Weird Un or Fast Un with it. After 2 stacks of SfV, with a warchanter buff your Megaboss is now doing 10 attacks at 3+/3+/-3/3. That's a ridiculous stat-line which is actually BETTER than the base Maw-Krusha statline with Mean Un.

As to why Fast Un/Metalrippa's is about preventing charting from hurting. Fast Un means that your Cabbage is always "1 chart higher" as far as damage taken, so at min profile you're 6" (which would be penultimate) not 4" . While the Metalrippa's means that as long as you're gaining SfV your damage is actually going up as you chart.

• Cabbage starts with 8 attacks at 3+/3+/-2/2
  • Megaboss starts with 8 attacks at 3+/3+/-3/2
  • If you gain 1 stack of SfV that's and take 4 wounds, thus dropping a chart.
  • Cabbage is now 7 attacks at 3+/3+/-2/2
  • Megaboss is 9 attacks at 3+/3+/-3/2
  • Your damage has gone UP not down.
  • Each stack of SfV offsets one grade of charting.
  • 4 stacks of SfV means your damage is better than your starting profile.

So if you get in combat first round turn 1 and stay in combat until the start of round 3 you're damage is now strictly better than your starting profile.

9 minutes ago, svnvaldez said:

Hahaha I love the thought. I tried multiple times to make 3 FLs work. 2 was better.

Also Ardboyz need to be 10+ to be battleline. I missed that as well on the first read.

2 minutes ago, Skumbaagh said:

Only in the big waagh right? I am not sure about the wording in the book thou. "Battleline in Ironjawz or Big Waagh! army  if unit has 10 or more models"

Warscrollbuilder has it in big waagh only but they have been wrong before.

Waiting on FAQ for this.

• Like 3

2 hours ago, Jabbuk said:

In the charge phase, he gets the Fanatics out to protect the 20 Stabbas. I charge at the Fanatics (because we now do frigging MW on charge) I do a total of 5 MW!. His devastating unit of Fanatics is now GONE.

I dont believe that is how the MW hits work on GG.  Its only 1 MW per unit within 1 inch after you have moved everyone.  Your'e not getting a MW per model. 

Edited by Slandible

1 minute ago, Slandible said:

I dont believe that is how the MW hits work on GG.  Its only 1 MW per unit within 1 inch after you have moved everyone.  Your'e not getting a MW per model. 

It is 1 MW on a 4+ per gore grunta model within 1" of an enemy model, and as of the wording it could be dealt to several units from a singel gore grunta if they are within 1"

• Thanks 1

6 minutes ago, Slandible said:

2019-10-17 15_58_22-aos_orruk_goregruntas_eng.pdf.png

I had 6 models in my GG unit so I rolled 6 times one dice (everytime I moved a model) and got extremely lucky every roll.

Edited by Jabbuk

8 minutes ago, Slandible said:

@Jabbuk is correct, also linked the rule which is helpful.

1. When charging you move the first model
  2. Check what units are within 1" of it
  3. Roll a dice for each of those unit
  4. On a 4+ that unit takes a mortal wounds
  5. You don't allocate it at this time though

You then repeat this with the second model in the unit and any subsequent models until every model in the unit has completed it's charge move and the unit has finished it's charge move.

At this point all mortal wounds inflicted are allocated by your opponent as normal.

• Thanks 1

8 minutes ago, Malakree said:

@Jabbuk is correct, also linked the rule which is helpful.

1. When charging you move the first model
  2. Check what units are within 1" of it
  3. Roll a dice for each of those unit
  4. On a 4+ that unit takes a mortal wounds
  5. You don't allocate it at this time though

You then repeat this with the second model in the unit and any subsequent models until every model in the unit has completed it's charge move and the unit has finished it's charge move.

At this point all mortal wounds inflicted are allocated by your opponent as normal.

Tbh I dont play it like that. I just make the charge, move all the models and then check what units are within 1" of any of my models. Then i roll the dice for each unit. 

(I see now how my own wording could be interpreted as something else!=) )

10 minutes ago, Skumbaagh said:

Tbh I dont play it like that. I just make the charge, move all the models and then check what units are within 1" of any of my models. Then i roll the dice for each unit. 

(I see now how my own wording could be interpreted as something else!=) )

Obviously we do things to speed play it, I do the same thing. What I'm laying out is the exact sequence of events, step by step, for clarity.

Edited by Malakree

58 minutes ago, Skumbaagh said:

Leaders
- General
- Mount Trait:  Loud 'Un
- Mount Trait: Big 'Un

Remember you can only bring 1 mount trait per battalion.

The setup will probably be hilariously good in some battleplans and an absolute trainwreck in others, but if you went and bought 3 MKs then they are meant to be used!

• Like 1

31 minutes ago, Luzgurbel said:

What's the community opinion regarding the MKBoss weapon? Gore hacka or the fist? More attacks or the ability to mirror some mortal wounds?

I have the same question... I know it is way to early for a definitive answer. Also how do people like to arm the pigs? the spear or the choppa.

My gut says go with rip tooth for MK and go with spears for pigs... literally the opposite way  I have mine built.

I'm a firm believer that GW just rotates the optimal weapon set up so people who don't want to magnetize, yet play WYSIWYG will go out and buy duplicates lol

• Haha 1