Need some advice for starting a new faction

So I am a Death (super excited about the new Nighthaunts yay), but I am looking to start up a new faction outside of the Death Grand Alliance. So I am looking for a bit of advice as to what to collect next.

Why am I looking for a new faction?

My friend that I usually play against is a Destruction GA player and honestly I just keep beating him in the same way (I weather him down after about 3-4 turns).  As much fun as winning is, it has become a bit predicable. 

Plus there is only so much I can do with the undead painting wise, while still making them look somewhat uniformed. I would like to practice new techniques and colour schemes.

What kind of army am I looking for?

I am not looking to start a new Grand Alliance but rather a small faction (Stormcast, Rotbringers, etc). 

I am looking for a faction that does not play like the Death armies. (Not summoning reliant, maybe with a bit more shooting)

I would prefer something that is not a horde army (but I don't mind either way)

I am aiming for about 1000 - 1500 points to start off with.

So my fellow TGA people! What are your suggestions and why? (Thanks in advance)

The elf armies can be pretty fun. I finally played several games with my high elves.

If I was starting new Id go deepkin, tzeentch, or daughters of khane. The new armies have nice rules and interesting play styles.

It is why the kharadron are fun, it takes a lot to make it work but is very rewarding when it does.

If you have already considered Stormcast new starter box would be a nice way to go. Add to your death army and give you a solid base to begin a stormcast one. 

Bit more variety with the robes and armour and ballista etc..

Personal opinion?  Leave it 3 weeks until the new edition rules have landed.  You might find you really like the idea of Endless Spells or an army themed from a specific realm and that could influence what units you'd like to include.  Absolutely no use picking a Duardin force if you really fancy throwing out lots of spells for example :)  We know that a lot of the units are getting points revisions, so what might work as a non-horde army now might not be the case next month (and visa-versa)

Sounds like your looking for a different playing challenge. The most opposite of slow grinding with lots of board control would be a faction that requires critical targeting and movement. Battletome armies offer that the most in my view. So maybe idoneth, kahadron or sylvaneth? Those factions offer wildly different painting opportunities and playstyle challenges. 

You didn't say "no stormcast". So, I'd like to elighten you about them:

- They can play all style (except perhaps the horde style.....but those 40 liberators armies can be ;-) )

- they have super numerous diferent units with diferent weapons with diferent builds

- they are easy to start with (but as other armies, hard to always win with)

- they can be top tier, meaning there are good units and good  builds/combos.

- you can even like their look :P

- There are tons of bundles to buy/start with, which are (can be)  cheap. This is the only army with 2 start collecting also! With the upcoming 2.0 you can have super good deal with the SCE half part of the 1.0...

- If you happen to love them, there are tons of upgrade your army.

- you can ally MANY (almost all) other order armies

and so many other arguments.

For the long term, I think that they are in super good spot.

7 hours ago, RuneBrush said:

Personal opinion?  Leave it 3 weeks until the new edition rules have landed.  You might find you really like the idea of Endless Spells or an army themed from a specific realm and that could influence what units you'd like to include.  Absolutely no use picking a Duardin force if you really fancy throwing out lots of spells for example :)  We know that a lot of the units are getting points revisions, so what might work as a non-horde army now might not be the case next month (and visa-versa)

This was definitely in my mind. But I figured I may as well start acting now. Looking for advice and what not. 

I figure if I start asking now then I will at least have something formulated when the new edition comes out and I put on my serious hobby face.

1 hour ago, Avatar Rage said:

Also I see a lot of love for Order armies. This helps a lot. Unless some Destruction Boyz or Chaos heretics drop in I may ask the Order people what they think.

I could recommend some Destruction forces, but it depends on what you are really after.  Looking at the original list of requirements you have the 3 things that spring to mind from Destruction are:  Ironjawz, Beastclaw Raiders, and Spiderfang Grots.

Ironjawz can put a fairly elite and low count army on the board.  If you specialize in the Mawcrushers & Gore Gruntas then you can do a very low-count army that is pretty mobile and hits like a freight train.  It is a pretty fun army, and probably the one of the better armies you could put together in terms of effectiveness (who knows how 2nd edition pans out).  Or you could go for a lot of Brutes on foot.  It has a similar playstyle, but a bit larger footprint, and it is a bit slower. 

Beastclaw Raiders is basically going to be a bunch of big Monsters which are supported by Mournfang Cavarly.  So honestly it is fairly similar to the Ironjawz & Gore Gruntas army list.  It plays a bit differently, but at a high level they are fairly similar armies.

Spiderfang is the most limited of these factions, although you can ally in a lot of stuff from other Orcs & Goblin forces to add variety.  But your army is basically going to consist of a bunch of huge spiders.  You will most likely have 2-4 massive Arachnarok spiders, a couple warboss riding giant spiders, and then units of spider cavalry.  All of the Spiderfang stuff synergizes together, but there is not a whole lot of it currently.

Those are the things that stick out to me as fitting your described wants the most.  They are all honestly fairly similar and it just depends on which one appeals to you the most.  The reason that I did not initially bring up a bunch of destruction stuff is mainly because it is a Grand Alliance that GW has so far not spent much effort in fleshing out.  You are simply going to be playing with less tools than anyone else.  That limiting factor can turn people off.  But, if what you want in the first place is a small focused list for a change of pace - then Destruction can provide that.

59 minutes ago, Skabnoze said:

Spiderfang is the most limited of these factions, although you can ally in a lot of stuff from other Orcs & Goblin forces to add variety.  But your army is basically going to consist of a bunch of huge spiders.  You will most likely have 2-4 massive Arachnarok spiders, a couple warboss riding giant spiders, and then units of spider cavalry.  All of the Spiderfang stuff synergizes together, but there is not a whole lot of it currently.

Spider riders are incredibly deadly if buffed correctly: 5-6 doing 2 MW each

4 hours ago, Avatar Rage said:

Also I see a lot of love for Order armies. This helps a lot. Unless some Destruction Boyz or Chaos heretics drop in I may ask the Order people what they think.

Tzeentch has a bunch of tricks up its sleeve, is completely different from a painting perspective AND has both a Board game with a bucketload of Heroes (Summoner and Familiars, Two Pink Horrors that could be Heralds, Ogroid Thaumaturge ... and that doesn’t even look at the other models) AND you can get Start Collecting boxes for all the Tzeentch Daemon units. (With the exception of brimstone/blue Horrors, the LoC and the Changling all the Tzeentch Daemon units are either kitbashable or buildable from that box.)

It could be built as a Horde Army ... or you could build it as Chariots and Heralds.

You can add basically any of the Daemons that can be marked Tzeentch (soul Grinder, Furies, Daemon Prince) along with all of the Slaves to Darkness line that can be marked Tzeentch. And completely legitimately you can bring anything that is “on a disc of Tzeentch” in a Tzeentch Daemon Army.

It also has a boatload of both spells and shooting options.

You can even bring in Arcanites and the Kairic Acolytes and Tzaangor. And you don’t need to bring summoning into the mix as a requirement. It’s just icing on the cake if you really want it.

Alternately, Khorne.

No magic, but a bunch of dispels available. Lots of melee, no real shooting ... and as a bonus it goes with your TGA name ... “Avatar Rage” ( ;) ) you can also build it as Horde or Elite.

You could start with a force of Mighty Skullcrushers and a Brass Stampede along with a Lord of Khorne on Juggernaut. At a base that’s ~750 points currently, for 10 models. And they run around the field and charge things. You don’t need Daemons ... but you could summon some if you wanted to in the next edition. Or ... rain down a brass skull meteor from the heavens on your enemies ...

And you don’t even have to paint the models red. 

Archived