What colour are your spirit hosts?

ZaelART

New topic  so we don't derail the Lets Chat: Night Haunt thread.

I've seen a variety of cool looking spookiness recently, and with the advent of GW's two new washes (blue/grey and green) for our ectoplasmic super friends, I was wondering what kind of colour schemes everyone has used for their ghosts?

It would be nice to build up a collection of pictures and examples if people are willing to share, and let us know how you achieved the colour!

• Replies 54
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I do a three-colour glaze over white for my Ethereal units. Prime them white, wash all over with Nihilakh, then go for a good, ghostly green for the highest parts, and an azure blue for the lower parts. Another drybrush of Screaming Skull then lightly with Pallid Wych Flesh to finish.

8JpZ0wg.jpg

11obNP2.jpg

IflQotv.jpg

PURPLE! (not the final pic, but gives you an impression)

All-Bases-2.jpg.1d0636649d00972d9688f5569627256a.jpg

Wanted something a bit different to the normal colours people were using.  Part of me really likes the newer style - and certainly easier to merge for models that have ragged cloak bits, but I know not many people have this colour!

6 minutes ago, RuneBrush said:

PURPLE! (not the final pic, but gives you an impression)

Wanted something a bit different to the normal colours people were using.  Part of me really likes the newer style - and certainly easier to merge for models that have ragged cloak bits, but I know not many people have this colour!

Those look damned good and you've got me wondering what one wash of blue and then one wash of purple would look like. 

2 minutes ago, MrZakalwe said:

Those look damned good and you've got me wondering what one wash of blue and then one wash of purple would look like. 

Depends on how heavy you go.  The purple might be a bit weak on top of the blue.  I'd be tempted with purple and then add blue in as a spot shade.  If you check out Ceri from Warhammer TV (her Instagram handle is @purplemonkey), she's done purple with blue tendrils which looks really nice

28 minutes ago, TheWilddog said:

I went with teal highlighted up to light green.

01048C6D-22D8-4A07-939B-56848277DEB8.jpeg

The grave stone in front is from greenstuff world or isn't 

1 hour ago, Ithlinne said:

Working with mine yesterday. Didnt try to glaze purple over it... but putting it on deepest areas works fine like said.

20180607_133034.jpg

The look is astonishing great I grab it 

Witch colors you use

Colors of ghosts is a very good question. I like doing something totally different than GW, but in this case, hard to beat green/blue with black robes for a spooky theme.  Muted Yellow maybe for a antic sand of time look, with brownish/purplish robes. Or purple with pink highlights could work (with a more greenish/bluish robes). 

James Gallagher went light pink/purple which is ballsy but with the bronze/dark gold it's a perfect match

Also purple.  I tried to upload a picture but it failed, so c'est la vie.  They look pretty similar to yours, RuneBrush.

20180608_125212.jpg

Edit: Oh, make a liar out of me then, post.  I tried out Daemonette/Druchii/Warpfiend/Slaanesh for the two on the right and Daemonetter/Warpfiend/Druchii/Slaanesh for the chap on the left.  I don't like drybrushing (which I did with the Warpfiend Grey on the two right ones) but I may stick with it anyway.

Gotta say, I really like the purple ghosts in this thread. Feels rather fitting given how all most of the fiction lately is using amethyst purple as the colour of death magic!

I meanwhile was boring and used the bog standard Nihilakh Oxide technique :$ In my defence I did want something that would contrast my army's main colour (bright red), and teal certainly fit the bill!

cKr1fkq.png

vsIndUs.png

22 hours ago, smucreo said:

I love that red, what paints did you use there?

It's a Khorne Red base with an Agrax wash, then just layered Khorne Red, Wazdakka Red and Evil Sunz Scarlet, with a fine highlight of Troll Slayer Orange to finish (you want to be careful not to make it too orange here, keep it modest). Hope that helps!

9 hours ago, Skrekkugle said:

I think I'm gonna need a recipe of this bog standard technique, cause these look very nice!

Thanks mate, glad you like them! The method I used was:

Base Celestra Grey > coat with Nihilakh Oxide > wash with thinned Coelia Greenshade (I used about a 50:50 mix) > then just pick out the highlights with Ulthuan Grey.

Archived