Let's chat Stormcast Eternals

Requizen

• Replies 4.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
14 minutes ago, Turragor said:

A question I see being answered incorrectly (in my own opinion only) in lots of places:

What do ppl think? Does the unit remain until the character returns and therefore do the wounds wait to just double kill the hero?

Sadly, with the current wording it double kills him if there are more wounds to allocate. Since the model is never removed (wording is "Instead of removing") the sequence continues as if it's a multi-model unit. I really hope they FAQ this.

Edit: Do note that I want it to save the hero, I just dont see the current wording permitting that. 

30 minutes ago, Kadanga said:

Sadly, with the current wording it double kills him if there are more wounds to allocate. Since the model is never removed (wording is "Instead of removing") the sequence continues as if it's a multi-model unit. I really hope they FAQ this.

Edit: Do note that I want it to save the hero, I just dont see the current wording permitting that. 

Ok but where does it say wounds stop only when the last model in a unit is removed? Where are we getting that from? I thought slain was pretty clear. Wounds stop at death - that kind of thing. Not when a template or empty container is removed.

And if that's the case - why is 'returned' after slain different from 'removed and setup again'? (Now that points aren't a factor).

/Edit: In fact the seraphon artefact specifies not slain.

Do we know if Scions of the Storm stays the same? I really want to like it but a 3+ has betrayed me so many times. ?

The biggest news from the GHB18 for me was the absense of the different Stormhost's Warrior Chamber battalions, signaling that we will get them for free in the same manner as ID and DoK. I really hope the Hallowed Knights retain their 5+ unit ignoring enemy spells. With all that magic inbound, this will be gold! 

1 hour ago, Turragor said:

Ok but where does it say wounds stop only when the last model in a unit is removed? Where are we getting that from? I thought slain was pretty clear. Wounds stop at death - that kind of thing. Not when a template or empty container is removed.

And if that's the case - why is 'returned' after slain different from 'removed and setup again'? (Now that points aren't a factor).

/Edit: In fact the seraphon artefact specifies not slain.

It doesnt say that anywhere, and that's the issue :D Darkreaper48 over at the aos reddit summarized it pretty well:

"
Wounds are allocated one at a time to a unit. As soon as a model is slain it is removed from play. A model that is not in play cannot have wounds allocated to it, so you move to the next model. If there are no more models in the unit, there are no elidgable models to allocate wounds to, and the wounds have no effect.

The problem is that the ability never removes the model from play. It is always an elidgable target for wounds. "Is slain" only causes the model to be removed from play, it doesn't magically make wounds disappear."

And to your other point about Seraphons Incandescent Retrices, I just reread it and with the wording from GHB2017 it shouldn't work as it is currently played either...

Lets all join hands in prayer for  GW to sort this out soon. 

With the recent battalion discounts, I would like to revisit Hammerstrike, but I am not sure about unit sizes. Is it viable to take Retributors in larger than minimal units? I think with their range it would be hard to get a unit of 10 in combat properly, so I am considering at least one of the required paladin units to be protectors with their 3" melee range. What do you think?

19 minutes ago, Kadanga said:

It doesnt say that anywhere, and that's the issue :D Darkreaper48 over at the aos reddit summarized it pretty well:

"
Wounds are allocated one at a time to a unit. As soon as a model is slain it is removed from play. A model that is not in play cannot have wounds allocated to it, so you move to the next model. If there are no more models in the unit, there are no elidgable models to allocate wounds to, and the wounds have no effect.

The problem is that the ability never removes the model from play. It is always an elidgable target for wounds. "Is slain" only causes the model to be removed from play, it doesn't magically make wounds disappear."

And to your other point about Seraphons Incandescent Retrices, I just reread it and with the wording from GHB2017 it shouldn't work as it is currently played either...

Yep, this was exactly my reasoning in the example I posted earlier.  Isn't there an email address for requesting FAQs?  This really needs one since it is, as @Turragor said, either bad or fantastic depending on the result.  

The gryp-hound in the push-fit castigator box is a bit random (and a good value compared to the 3 sequitors box). Do you guys think the dog will be an option on the castigator Battletome warscroll ? Or just for those who wants an other alpha model...

4 hours ago, Kadanga said:

"

Unfortunately, he is wrong - I replied (then edited it so as not to be rude - see below).

Well, he is equally neither right nor wrong as I am.

There's no indication anywhere that 'removed from play' trumps slain.

And since wounds are allocated one at a time, they don't fall off in pools or anything.

Oh but they do when a unit is gone, once the target of the damage is gone.

So what makes a unit disappear - in your view it's when the last model is removed from the table (what about 'set aside'?)

In my view it's when the last model is slain.

Neither is expressly given in the rules. This is made up:

But a model only ceases to exist when it is slain and removed from play

As much as you feel mine is. The rules speak of models only. So we've just to use those rules. The models are the unit, the last model in the unit IS the unit.

When a model is slain it's not in play. The rules state this:

"Place a slain model to one side - it is removed from play"

In the arcanum's case, the ability takes a slain model and lets you return it instead of remove it.

FAQ is the only clear way forward, I can see this argument playing out in a bunch of places.

I mean I started off thinking as you and then moved to my current view and I may go back if some other rule interpretation sways me. I also believe your interpretation is probably what GW meant.

I just don't think it's clear.

Basically I don't see a clear right and wrong interpretation between what the two of us have described.

12 hours ago, Thalassic Monstrosity said:

Mine didn't get one!  I was hoping for a sneak peek, haha!

This is what I could memorize from yesterday looking through the book, the changes for units are:

Lord Relictor +20

Concussors: -20

Vanguard Raptors hurricane: -20

Vanguard Paladors: -20

Vanguard Hunters: -20

Knight Heraldor: -20

Knight Azurys (?): +20

Drakesworn: -40 (460)

Lord Ordinator: +40

Bird & Hounds got a drop dont remember.

Then the new units currently released:

Balista: 100

Sequitors (5): 120 

Evocators (5): 200

Castigors (3): 80

Invocator: 140

Lord Arcunum on Gryph: 280

Unreleased models:

Lord Arcunum on Dracoline: 280

Lord Arcunum on Taurilan: 380

Knight Exorcist: 140

Named character: 360?

Battalions got an overall points drop

2 hours ago, christophe said:

The gryp-hound in the push-fit castigator box is a bit random (and a good value compared to the 3 sequitors box). Do you guys think the dog will be an option on the castigator Battletome warscroll ? Or just for those who wants an other alpha model...

I hope it's a Castigator option. In matched you can no longer field a single Gryph-hound (min size 5)

2 hours ago, Jupiter said:

This is what I could memorize from yesterday looking through the book, the changes for units are:

Lord Relictor +20

Concussors: -20

Vanguard Raptors hurricane: -20

Vanguard Paladors: -20

Vanguard Hunters: -20

Knight Heraldor: -20

Knight Azurys (?): +20

Drakesworn: -40 (460)

Lord Ordinator: +40

Bird & Hounds got a drop dont remember.

Then the new units currently released:

Balista: 100

Sequitors (5): 120 

Evocators (5): 200

Castigors (3): 80

Invocator: 140

Lord Arcunum on Gryph: 280

Unreleased models:

Lord Arcunum on Dracoline: 280

Lord Arcunum on Taurilan: 380

Knight Exorcist: 140

Named character: 360?

Battalions got an overall points drop

are the SC shadespire warbands point in there as well ? thank you !!

39 minutes ago, Sagittarii Orientalis said:

It's strange that with all those SCE points leaks from the handbook, points for Evocators on Dracolines are still unknown.

Or maybe I haven't gotten hold of it. 

Photos from last month's warhammer fest seem to suggest that Evocators on Draoclines are available in units of three, but I am not sure. 

Wait that’s a thing? Neat. I can’t express how excited I am for this edition 

Im not really satisfied with the new soul wars box. I think i wait till the units come seperate. Sc half seems to uncomplete. 8 sequitors with not enough grand weapons and no sword option. 3 evocators but you need 5. And for the lord arkanum i need to see the other options, because the gryph version seems very underwhelming. And i dont like the castigors.

On 6/15/2018 at 11:35 PM, ledha said:

Did anyone saw the very good buffed the two weapon liberators received ?

Now, any unmodified hit roll of 6 will do 2 hits instead of one.

I think it can be usefull for units of 5 taken for filling our battleline, or, if you want to use them as real fighting force - take a wizard for mystic shield and Sisters of Thorn for shield of thorns to get two reroll save rolls spells

2 hours ago, Erdemo86 said:

Im not really satisfied with the new soul wars box. I think i wait till the units come seperate. Sc half seems to uncomplete. 8 sequitors with not enough grand weapons and no sword option. 3 evocators but you need 5. And for the lord arkanum i need to see the other options, because the gryph version seems very underwhelming. And i dont like the castigors.

I'm just taking two boxes with my friend who plays Death because it's for good price and because most of new units look so-so rules wise, I probably will play a couple of games with them and put on the shelf everything but ballista and mb paladins (because their spell is great) 

17 minutes ago, XReN said:

I'm just taking two boxes with my friend who plays Death because it's for good price and because most of new units look so-so rules wise, I probably will play a couple of games with them and put on the shelf everything but ballista and mb paladins (because their spell is great) 

I dont know the new secrators the liberator varient are pretty tight. Reorll saves and better chance to deal damage also a bit more adaptable. I think mostly sacrisanct can be potent

Archived