Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
AlphaKennyThing

Age of Sigmar: Second Edition

1 minute ago, bsharitt said:

Despite the extra pages, the rules themselves don't seem to be too terribly expanded. If anything, they're just more clearly explained from the start instead of super compressed and in need of FAQs. One thing that isn't entirely clear is the compulsory combat for units that would have to pile in to fight. The rules say you have to fight within 3", but the pile in rules are still "can" not "must". So if I have a unit with 1" reach that's 2" from the enemy, can I choose them to fight, but then not pile them in? So they "fight" but don't make any attacks?

Rewinding to yesterday's news. I'm pretty sure I like the new Mortarch of Grief, but I really don't like the "stock" paint job GW gave her. I'll be painting her up all dark and shadowy like the rest of my Nighthaunt.

Still going to be funny with my Sisters of the Thorn/ Phoenix combo. The enemy now can't choose not to destroy themselves with reflected damage ?

It's definitely a change, and you definitely roll-off on the first turn as well.

This is the core rule:

"At the start of each battle round, the players must roll off, and the winner decides who takes the first turn. "

This is the "if" clause:

"If the roll-off is a tie, then the player who went first in the last battle round can choose who goes first in this one, but if it is the first battle round, the player that finished setting up their army first chooses who has the first turn."

Notice that the "if" clause is all one sentence, and the first part of the sentence "if the roll-off is a tie" thus applies to BOTH sub-clauses that follow it.

So yes, you roll-off on every turn including the first, and if you tie on the first turn, the player who finished setting up first chooses. It's very clear if you follow the grammar.

Edited by Nevvermore
  • Like 14
  • Thanks 1

The allies change is interesting. I guess that makes it easier to use allies in narrative/open play. In the faction previews, I seem to recall them mentioning at least once that a model that got a price drop would now work as an ally(can't remember which one, and could be imagining it), so I wonder if the points threshold will still be layered on in the matched play rules.

I don't know if this:

and can therefore be part of a different Grand Alliance or faction.

had something similar in the old allies rules just to cover all bases, or if we'll be seeing cross GA allies.

• Like 1

+++MOD NOTE+++

Please check the preceding posts before posting links e.g. to the new rules else we're going to be buried under duplicate content xD

We'll be hiding any like this

The rules are great! Better than I dared to wish for when they were first announced. Small tweaks in the right direction without massive changes. Two thumbs up.

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, Arkiham said:

Are these new?

20180614_123337.jpg

I really hope that's fake or old as  'Staunch Defenders' needed to go anyway but doubly so in a world where mystic shield has been nerfed so heavily. 

Edit: Oh ******- those are the ones from the rulebook. Didn't realise. Damn. 

Edited by MrZakalwe
  • Like 1

1 minute ago, MrZakalwe said:

I really hope that's fake or old as  'Staunch Defenders' needed to go anyway but doubly so in a world where mystic shield has been nerfed so heavily. 

nope its from their new rules thingy just blown up 

26 minutes ago, Nevvermore said:

It's definitely a change, and you definitely roll-off on the first turn as well.

This is the core rule:

"At the start of each battle round, the players must roll off, and the winner decides who takes the first turn. "

This is the "if" clause:

"If the roll-off is a tie, then the player who went first in the last battle round can choose who goes first in this one, but if it is the first battle round, the player that finished setting up their army first chooses who has the first turn."

Notice that the "if" clause is all one sentence, and the first part of the sentence "if the roll-off is a tie" thus applies to BOTH sub-clauses that follow it.

So yes, you roll-off on every turn including the first, and if you tie on the first turn, the player who finished setting up first chooses. It's very clear if you follow the grammar.

What page is that on?  I didn't find it during my first pass.

1 minute ago, Arkiham said:

nope its from their new rules thingy just blown up 

On the other hand I've just checked and it['s just the one from the last stormcast battletome. 

Guess they keep Staunch Defender then. 

1 minute ago, Deadkitten said:

It's on page three of the core rules.

Unfortunately, because I was REALLY hoping for a change to the first turn order, the "How to play" videos (which are up by the way) seems to indicate that the player that finishes setting up first still gets to decide who goes first in the first turn.

https://ageofsigmar.com/new-to-aos/play/

Really hoping that GW makes a definitive statement supporting a turn one roll-off.

• Thanks 1

4 minutes ago, Deadkitten said:

Page 3, 2nd paragraph. 

• Thanks 1

roll offs are dull.... and just lead to large armies of many drops looking to out deploy your opponent rather than seizing the initiative. 

it'll change armies to literally the other end of the spectrum. 10+ drops rather than 1 

Loving what I've read so far of the new Core Rules. So much clearer and easier to explain to new players.

Will summoning be mentioned within the allegiance abilities of armies that have it? I couldn't spot any reference to summoning in the Core Rules.

1 minute ago, MrZakalwe said:

On the other hand I've just checked and it['s just the one from the last stormcast battletome. 

Guess they keep Staunch Defender then. 

They could have used the picture from the old book. Its a little lazy, but since the pictures are shrunk beyond recognition in the new core rules and have only only illustrational purpose there, its certainly possible.

1 minute ago, Trayanee said:

They could have used the picture from the old book. Its a little lazy, but since the pictures are shrunk beyond recognition in the new core rules and have only only illustrational purpose there, its certainly possible.

the ones i linked are quite readable arent they ?

1 minute ago, Trayanee said:

Yeah my kneejerk was wrong on this one as they said existing battletomes would remain valid so I honestly shouldn't have expected that to be fixed. Just me being dumb, it seems.

4 minutes ago, Grimnaud said:

It's on page three of the core rules.

Unfortunately, because I was REALLY hoping for a change to the first turn order, the "How to play" videos (which are up by the way) seems to indicate that the player that finishes setting up first still gets to decide who goes first in the first turn.

https://ageofsigmar.com/new-to-aos/play/

Really hoping that GW makes a definitive statement supporting a turn one roll-off.

Who is the presenter on the how to play video? I recognise her from somewhere on YouTube.

20180614_125357.jpg

do we know these rules?

Edited by Arkiham
  • Like 1

Just now, Arkiham said:

roll offs are dull.... and just lead to large armies of many drops looking to out deploy your opponent rather than seizing the initiative. 

it'll change armies to literally the other end of the spectrum. 10+ drops rather than 1 

Personally I'd prefer a roll-off as it means neither side is going to be penalised based on the battalions they have available.

Just now, AdamJ said:

Who is the presenter on the how to play video? I recognise her from somewhere on YouTube.

I think it's one of the presenters off Geek & Sundry (said that in the Video post I put up) - but to be honest I had to look it up!

• Like 4

1 minute ago, RuneBrush said:

Personally I'd prefer a roll-off as it means neither side is going to be penalised based on the battalions they have available.

I think it's one of the presenters off Geek & Sundry (said that in the Video post I put up) - but to be honest I had to look it up!

3 minutes ago, AdamJ said:

yea shes off geek an sundry 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, RuneBrush said:

Thanks @RuneBrush. I knew I'd see her presenting elsewhere, her video explaining Shadespire is excellent.  I hadn't spotted your new thread before I posted.

• Haha 1

Hmm you choose your general after set up, and if he does select a new one with a new trait. 

Soooo I’m going with a cheap plague priest for my general give it cunning deceiver. Run it forward and get it killed as fast as I can, to make someone else the general with useful trait after turn one ?

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

1 minute ago, Kramer said:

Hmm you choose your general after set up, and if he does select a new one with a new trait. 

Soooo I’m going with a cheap plague priest for my general give it cunning deceiver. Run it forward and get it killed as fast as I can, to make someone else the general with useful trait after turn one ?

Sounds good, very narrative.  Unfortunately it doesnt apply in matched play as apparently the big rule book has a matched play section saying you dont re-pick your general.