Age of Sigmar: Second Edition

13 minutes ago, Drib said:

It's only the Slann General who get's the points. But it's not too clear if it is instead of the first cast or if you can choose to do it up to thrice ..

It's clear as wrote, each spell not casted reward 3 points, so he can grant 9 each turn

• Replies 4.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

It seems quite easy to summon the 'lower' dinos first turn. For example, your Slann decides to use two of its three spells for summoning (netting you 6 points), and you get an extra 1 from the Slann and 2 from the banner (getting you 9 overall).  Without even needing to dedicate all your spells, you get a free little dino. 

Not saying this is too powerful or anything - I'm just mostly interested in how easy they'll make it to summon using the other new methods. Depravity points, for example, seem considerably harder to get as you need to put your heroes at risk and get them into another hero (which is easier said than done), so will summoned units take fewer points than the seraphon's summoning? Just something to speculate about.

1 minute ago, calcysimon said:

It's clear as wrote, each spell not casted reward 3 points, so he can grant 9 each turn

It is also stated that "In your hero phase, before attempting to cast a spell with your Slann general [...]", so if getting the 3 points is counted as "casting attempt", you only get 3 points.

But yet again the wording is not 100% accurat, it could mean both. Needs clarification.

6 minutes ago, Drib said:

It is also stated that "In your hero phase, before attempting to cast a spell with your Slann general [...]", so if getting the 3 points is counted as "casting attempt", you only get 3 points.

But yet again the wording is not 100% accurat, it could mean both. Needs clarification.

I think it's clear that you generate 3 points PER spell you forego casting.

I think that a system balanced around choice is a good one. IF slann general, IF he chose to not cast the spell, IF astrolit bearer.

You need to invest  list points to build up your summoning-point pool and to sacrifice spells, command abilities (slann build) ecc ecc. Plus it's very AoS Seraphon thematic ?

32 minutes ago, Drib said:

It's only the Slann General who get's the points. But it's not too clear if it is instead of the first cast or if you can choose to do it up to thrice ..

As it's been said, per spell and without limit beyond only the general being able to. At this point, though, the role of the general moves from being a magic artillery battery to a summon battery. I think it's not too off the rooker and won't be too much source of abuse.

The maximum you'd be able to get a turn is 16, I think (if Lord Kroak used all 4 spells, and you rolled a 3 on the banner, as well as the 1 from Kroak). I wonder how much the big things, if there are any, will cost. I'm guessing about 24 ish, but that's mostly a guess.

I wouldn't be surprised if there were new battalions and/or artefacts that give Celestial Conjuration points.

A Command Trait that allows a SKINK WIZARD hero to use the Celestial Conjuration ability would be awesome

I'm slightly worried as this ability again doesn't scale too well for different points sizes. In big big games it doesn't have much of an impact, and in 1000 points match it's again bit of broken. On the other hand, a Slann shouldn't be anywhere close to a 1000 point game table anyways.

My initial feeling is that for the first turn you want to generate as much points as you can and then use those around turn three to summon stuff when the game has settled a bit and there is more room for moving around taking objectives, charge unprotected stuff etc. Slann's spells are so situational though, especially now with the new arcane bolt and mystic shield, that if the malign sorcery is not in use, most of the time it'll be always better to just do the rituals to get some extra stuff on the table. In any case, it feels like a very good ability on the paper.

1 minute ago, Jamopower said:

I'm slightly worried as this ability again doesn't scale too well for different points sizes. In big big games it doesn't have much of an impact, and in 1000 points match it's again bit of broken. On the other hand, a Slann shouldn't be anywhere close to a 1000 point game table anyways.

My initial feeling is that for the first turn you want to generate as much points as you can and then use those around turn three to summon stuff when the game has settled a bit and there is more room for moving around taking objectives, charge unprotected stuff etc. Slann's spells are so situational though, especially now with the new arcane bolt and mystic shield, that if the malign sorcery is not in use, most of the time it'll be always better to just do the rituals to get some extra stuff on the table.

A Slann is pretty questionable in 1000 point games. The summoning *might* make a Slann worthwhile at that level but I am not expecting any sort of points drop so that would be over a quarter of your army for one spell and a unit of skinks per turn? 

I doubt if a free unit of skinks per turn is going to break the game any time soon. But if i turn out to be wrong I will be happy to eat humble pie!

Yeah, it depends. The game is normally about taking objectives and there usually aren't so many units around in 1000 points. I've lost to summoned zombies that I have been unable to do anything because of lack of available units. Generally anything over 250 shouldn't be on a table in that size to keep the game interesting. It otherwise quickly turns into one unit against an army sort of game.

5 minutes ago, S133arcanite said:

How will Tzeentch summon?

I'm hoping amount of spells successfully cast e.g 10 spells cast to summon a unit of horrors

I’ve no idea, but that does sound like a thematic approach. I’m not so bothered about watertight balance to summoning. I want it to feel right for the army in question and playing in a thematic way is what provides the summoning resources. 

4 minutes ago, Ollie Grimwood said:

I’ve no idea, but that does sound like a thematic approach. I’m not so bothered about watertight balance to summoning. I want it to feel right for the army in question and playing in a thematic way is what provides the summoning resources. 

I hope to see destiny points that are paid with destiny dice. So you would need a sum of 9 to summon a unit of horrors.

1 hour ago, Jamopower said:

My initial feeling is that for the first turn you want to generate as much points as you can and then use those around turn three to summon stuff when the game has settled a bit and there is more room for moving around taking objectives, charge unprotected stuff etc. Slann's spells are so situational though, especially now with the new arcane bolt and mystic shield, that if the malign sorcery is not in use, most of the time it'll be always better to just do the rituals to get some extra stuff on the table. In any case, it feels like a very good ability on the paper.

May I ask, why bring a Slann just to be a summon battery when you could use those points to bring more of something that can make an impact throughout the game? 

11 minutes ago, Lemondish said:

May I ask, why bring a Slann just to be a summon battery when you could use those points to bring more of something that can make an impact throughout the game? 

He got a great command ability, he makes a engine of the gods better, he may cast spells, he makes the rest of the army better with other abilities, he will summon more than his value during the game, summoning gives flexibility.

Also great command traits and dispelling from anywhere. Seraphon are very strong in the objective game already and even more with the summoning options. Might have to paint more models though myself... 

Interesting to see how the Engine is changed. Summoning 'a unit' is bit too strong, so most likely it will just generate extra summoning points. 

4 minutes ago, Sigwarus said:

He got a great command ability, he makes a engine of the gods better, he may cast spells, he makes the rest of the army better with other abilities, he will summon more than his value during the game, summoning gives flexibility.

I imagine he can summon more than his value during the game only if he dedicates himself to summoning, thus sacrificing some of those things you mentioned as strengths, right? Also as long as he isn't killed. 

I definitely see what you mean regarding flexibility, though. He can bring in what you may need when you need it. That's pretty neat.

I have found that Slann's spells are pretty useless most of the time though. Especially now with the nerfed basic spells. Of course if he can use the new spells it's a different thing, but without them, getting 1-2 extra units per turn doesn't sound too shabby.  Even if they are "just" skinks. 

2 minutes ago, Jamopower said:

I have found that Slann's spells are pretty useless most of the time though.

In my experience his warscroll spell is so limited in scope I think I've used it once (and I don't think I got anything out of it). However, I found that the Vast Intellect command trait has been an enormous boon, as I've gotten ridiculous use out of both Curse of Fates and Summon Starlight. That trait made him a much more dangerous support piece, though I can see myself using one spell just to generate additional Conjuration points on a regular basis.

Archived