Lets Chat: Idoneth Deepkin

S133arcanite

One other possibility for the ship-wreck is a drained sea or vast water body. 

Some vast magical force or some such drains or otherwise displaces the water, resulting in a landscape of silt and sea bed that dries and then provides land for the sea-faction. It could even be part of a trigger that forces the sea-faction to take a serious part in the wars on the land, besides a need to raid the land-dwellers. 

Otherwise its just a sneaky hint or a flavourful bit of terrain that isn't trying to make sense. GW could do a floating ghost-ship (Privateer press have one now); though often as not the thing that mostly stops 32mm games using ships is the size and cost to produce a ship as opposed to a row-boat on the tabletop.  You can get away with it a bit more for airships, but for land ships to make something that fits you tend to run out of space (PP's ship is basically the very back-end of it floating in the air)

• Replies 2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Honestly as An avid aquaman fan I can imagine a lot of inspiration from recent comics. In DC, atlantians have both ships that can fly in the air and shoot lasers at things (a little too sci-fi if you ask me but eh) as well as monstrous creatures from the deep, so maybe we can sea both in the range? a floating magical vessel more aquatic than the kharadons, almost like a chariot, and a few massive sea creatures.

Aesthetic wise, maybe the elves will be more reptilian? maybe like an eel or crocodile instead of normal? it would fit with the DoK way of showing some slanesshi interference so it could work out that way.  weapons wise I could probably see a unit with harpoons or spear guns acting like the normal fire support, hopilite units acting as battle line, and a lot of Calvary of different species such as sea snakes, drakes, crocodiles, and maybe even squids or octopi

Giant beasts maybe a Cthulhu /  dragon hybrid for the general, and maybe an alternate build for a Pliosaurus type creature. Really there are a whole lot you can do with this, so i'm very excited to see all of it

Guessing its going down the Atlantian / Greek theme, are we going to get trident people and mermaids or something else ?   Since the race is created by Teclis, hopefully they have really cool magic as well.  A lore based on water would be interesting, like the rainstorm spell from warhammer fantasy to nullifying gunpower and fire based weapons.   I expect lots of creativity from this like Kharadron Overlords.

10 hours ago, Incineroar87 said:

Guessing its going down the Atlantian / Greek theme, are we going to get trident people and mermaids or something else ?   Since the race is created by Teclis, hopefully they have really cool magic as well.  A lore based on water would be interesting, like the rainstorm spell from warhammer fantasy to nullifying gunpower and fire based weapons.   I expect lots of creativity from this like Kharadron Overlords.

i doubt that they will make it solely against fire and gunpowder, but i could see them doing a rain/mist spell that makes them less likely to hit with range.

19 hours ago, Incineroar87 said:

We already know from the fluff in the DoK book that they use Mist to cloak their advance/confuse their enemies. Combined with the fact that Mistweaver Saih is leaked to be part of the line makes me think there will be some pretty solid magic.

Another thing to keep in mind given what little we know is that even official rumors could not be the most accurate descriptions.

For example before/during the reveal of the Convergence of Cyriss for Warmachine, one official source said "the army is very art deco inspired". Though outside of maybe their clockwork angels and the iron mother, not really imo.

There is an assumption that sea means water, but that does not have to be the case.  The seas in Ulgu could be full of a denser, thicker mist in the deeper land trenches that some of those who dwell there can swim( or fly? ) in.  There could be boats that float in the mist at certain depths.  It could have its own tides and  currents  depending on the weather patterns.  The DoK book refers to them as sea-beings in Ghyran, but they come out of mists and the Kraith pursue them into the mist.  There is no mention of water.  It also hints that they can form their own mist, whatever Realm they might be in ( except possibly the Realm of light ), so mist terrain might be a possibility.

4 hours ago, Aelfric said:

There is an assumption that sea means water, but that does not have to be the case.  The seas in Ulgu could be full of a denser, thicker mist in the deeper land trenches that some of those who dwell there can swim( or fly? ) in.  There could be boats that float in the mist at certain depths.  It could have its own tides and  currents  depending on the weather patterns.  The DoK book refers to them as sea-beings in Ghyran, but they come out of mists and the Kraith pursue them into the mist.  There is no mention of water.  It also hints that they can form their own mist, whatever Realm they might be in ( except possibly the Realm of light ), so mist terrain might be a possibility.

Mist is jut water though, but I can totally see your point being true though. Maybe it’s a mixture of both sea and mist?

3 hours ago, AthlorianStoners said:

Mist is jut water though, but I can totally see your point being true though. Maybe it’s a mixture of both sea and mist?

That's true ( and fairly obvious, now I think about it :) ) - at what density does mist become liquid?  At  some point ( or depth ) water would result from the pressure.  A Mixture of the two does seem the likely solution.

7 hours ago, Aelfric said:

That's true ( and fairly obvious, now I think about it :) ) - at what density does mist become liquid?  At  some point ( or depth ) water would result from the pressure.  A Mixture of the two does seem the likely solution.

Yeah my thoughts exactly, maybe they use mist as a way to transport water, being able to change its density through magic?

1 hour ago, Thalassic Monstrosity said:

Man, I hope we hear something at Adepticon.  If they are released in April or May I think there's a good chance there'll be an announcement.  When else would they do it?

Will be at Adepticon...5 "major things" are being announced there for GW. Like I said earlier, April releases into May.

Not going to tell you how I know and you can take it with any sea salt u want but...

The deepkin are not exactly the good guys in fact they are not exactly order per-se, they play more like the dark eldar, and their main reason for fighting is to capture the souls of others in other words they raid to steal souls to feel and have emotions but can't retain it for long. Think mermaids but not the disney version but the historical one.

The deepkin can fight on land as if they are still in water, in fact the models looks as if they are still swimming, this is because when they raid the area has a spell casted on it that allows them to fight normally, The models hair for example looks like its still floating in water best example of the effect is like the latest pirates of the caribbean movie where salazar mates if u notice their hair is somewhat as if submerge and floating underwater. The looks are somewhat mix greek and bit dark in nature. 

Their mounts for the calvary like models are on shark looking things. There is a turtle too which is its center piece model. There is about 8 kits all together which will take up the whole month leading up to AOS 2. 

If all that is true then I hope GW has done a stella bit of work on making the models look "floaty" without making them look silly on the tabletop. 

Also you forgot the most important info - dates ;)

As for the whole order thing, Daughters of Khaine and most of the Dark Elves forces seem missplaced in the order group when one considers that they are basically evil/of malicious intent; they are non-chaos though and non-undead and non-ORK KILL but they are still somewhat nasty. I mean the fish people want sounds; the Daughters of Khaine want hearts (and syphon off souls direct from the source)

Archived