Lets Chat: Idoneth Deepkin

S133arcanite

Hello everyone I'm new to this forum and just getting into AoS, although I've been on and off with Warhammer Fantasy since I was a kid. I hope this is the right place to get some insight on the Deepkin Army I'm building towards and would appreciate any critique, so thanks in advance!

Tidecaster (general)
Artifact: Undecided, Spell Undecided

Eidolon of Mathlann (Aspect of the Sea)
Spell: Tide of Fear
Artifact (Infinite Sands or the Ink that makes you invincible for 1 turn).

Lotann

Soulrender
Artifiact: Brain Barnicles

Soulrender
Artifact: Whorlshell

Battleline:
30x Thralls

10x Reavers

10x Reavers

Not Battleline:

1x Leviadon

1x Allopex

Enclave: Mor'phann

The idea is to bog the enemy down with the big blob of Thralls while debuffing the enemy with -1 to hit spells all over the place while shooting into combat with the Reavers, Alloppex, and Leviadon before getting them into combat for the big turn 3. Any glaring omissions or tweaks I can make? Not necessarily looking to be super competitive but really just looking for at least to be a competent list to enjoy the game with. Thanks again! 

FYI I have already purchgased Lotann, 20 Thralls, and the Eidolon on the week they first released so those cannot be changed. Everything else I am open to suggestion.

• Replies 2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
11 minutes ago, Drofnum said:

Just a note on your list, you can only have 1 artifact.  You get an additional artifact for every battalion you bring, but since you dont have any you would only be able to take 1.

D'oh! 

Ok then I suppose the 1 Artifact I'll use will be either the Ink or the Sands held by the Eidolon. Thanks! :)

19 hours ago, Botinok said:

Good day,

Dears, can you please help me with my army building.

I'm planning to buy the next kits.

Lotann Warden of Soul Ledgers -1 kit

Etheric Vortex: Gloomtide Shipwreck -1 kit

Idoneth Deepkin: Eidolon Mathlann -2 kits

Idoneth Deepkin : Namarti Thalls -3 kits

Idoneth Deepkin: Namarti Reavers -3 kits

Volturnos High King Of The Deep -2 kits

Idoneth Deepkin: Isharann Tidecaster- 2 kits

Idoneth Deepkin: Isharann Soulscryer -2 kits

Idoneth Deepkin: Isharann Soulrender -2 kits

Akhelian Leviadon -2 kits

Allopex - 4 kits

Akhelian Guard - 4 kits

Any thoughts on this list and is it good for the whole army or it needs some rework?

Thank you

Looks cool. 

Things you'll feel hard pressed to really use are multiple aspects and/or leviadons. So if you haven't already bought on you may want to cut back on those. As each is a force multiplier type of unit.

The allowed is super cool, but on paper we kind of all feel it's abit meh. For casual games 1 or a unit of 4 probably wouldn't be the end of the world. 

For the eels ishlaen work well in any list. 

Then from there you'll want to focus on morrsarr or thralls as those two units work best when massed. Which leaves two different list dynamics with thier own strengths and weaknesses. 

14 hours ago, Reezark_SP said:

Hello everyone I'm new to this forum and just getting into AoS, although I've been on and off with Warhammer Fantasy since I was a kid. I hope this is the right place to get some insight on the Deepkin Army I'm building towards and would appreciate any critique, so thanks in advance!

Tidecaster (general)
Artifact: Undecided, Spell Undecided

Eidolon of Mathlann (Aspect of the Sea)
Spell: Tide of Fear
Artifact (Infinite Sands or the Ink that makes you invincible for 1 turn).

Lotann

Soulrender
Artifiact: Brain Barnicles

Soulrender
Artifact: Whorlshell

Battleline:
30x Thralls

10x Reavers

10x Reavers

Not Battleline:

1x Leviadon

1x Allopex

Enclave: Mor'phann

The idea is to bog the enemy down with the big blob of Thralls while debuffing the enemy with -1 to hit spells all over the place while shooting into combat with the Reavers, Alloppex, and Leviadon before getting them into combat for the big turn 3. Any glaring omissions or tweaks I can make? Not necessarily looking to be super competitive but really just looking for at least to be a competent list to enjoy the game with. Thanks again! 

FYI I have already purchgased Lotann, 20 Thralls, and the Eidolon on the week they first released so those cannot be changed. Everything else I am open to suggestion.

I'd probably drop the turtle and maybe shark. The shark is super cool and won't be the end of the world because its so cheap <. < so a petty spot for rule of cool is more than fair. 

However the turtle is a support unit, but our support units are super expensive. So taking multiply kind of makes thier effects worse as they are supporting less and less the more of them you bring.  I'd stock woth the aspect of the sea. It's a good model and can put out lots of -1 to hit, but not as much in morphann as you can get him in range turn 1. 

I'd take the turtle in morphann personally,  for various reasons. However, you already have the aspect so I just wouldn't want you spending to much extra cash. 

With the spare points more thralls would rock. 

One thing to note with morphann is you are forced to take a spell with your tidecaster. The one you have to pick is freezing mist. It's not bad, but it's also not out of this world amazing. 

Anywho welcome to the ID, both of you. 

Anyone else dislike the blad heads of the thralls? I decided I would go ahead and convert the female thralls to have hair, but I'm uncertain if the conversion is convincing enough. Also, I saw the sorceress conversion online somewhere and couldn't help but create one myself. Thank you to the original creator for the great conversion idea! :P

hair.jpg

Looking for feedback on my 2k list - Morphann Thrall Regen. 

Idea is simple - Scryer allows Soulrender and 30 thralls to flank. Other blob draws center attention. Ishalaen Guard - flank/objective contest. Reavers grab objectives. Lord-Relictor fills out 2k list while providing decent debuff and maneuverability.

Heroes

1xTide Caster (General) 

- Born From Agony, Freezing Mists

1x Soulrender

-Cloud of Midnight

1x Soulrender

1x Soulscryer

1x Lord-Relictor

- Lightning Chariot

Units

10x  Reavers

10x Reavers

30x Thralls

30x Thralls

6x Ishlaen Guard

3x Ishlaen Guard

Battalion

Namarti Corps

25 minutes ago, Supasnake said:

Looking for feedback on my 2k list - Morphann Thrall Regen. 

Idea is simple - Scryer allows Soulrender and 30 thralls to flank. Other blob draws center attention. Ishalaen Guard - flank/objective contest. Reavers grab objectives. Lord-Relictor fills out 2k list while providing decent debuff and maneuverability.

Heroes

1xTide Caster (General) 

- Born From Agony, Freezing Mists

1x Soulrender

-Cloud of Midnight

1x Soulrender

1x Soulscryer

1x Lord-Relictor

- Lightning Chariot

Units

10x  Reavers

10x Reavers

30x Thralls

30x Thralls

6x Ishlaen Guard

3x Ishlaen Guard

Battalion

Namarti Corps

The Lord relictors can not take lightning chariot as you aren't alliegence stormcast. As far as i can remember those prayers are only for armies that are all alliegenve stormcast. Just as our spells are for only alliegenve ID. 

I don't think I'd take cloud of midnight. It's abit.... meh??

I'd consider instead finding some one to put lliandras on, as it will greatly curve damage you might take from battle shock.

Personally I'd squeeze in a third soulrender as they do a pretty decent job of paying for themselves in the regen list. 

On 5/3/2018 at 5:35 PM, TheDayman said:

Am I the only one that thinks this has went from 'Lets chat: Idoneth deepkin' to 'What's the fastest way to lose your friends?' with all this talk about alpha strikes and attempts at making game-breaking army lists? I just want to have a fun time talking about how cool the fish aelves are and see people take what they want to, rather than take stuff because that's what the meta is. Stuff like that really puts me off competitive play :/ 

I completely agree, but also this is the army that's getting me to switch from being a 40k player who played Elves like 10 years ago. I don't care about top table national events but I also don't want to automatically lose all my games with friends or locals either. 

But the "X is best, Y is worst" circular argument doesn't help me take a decent list either, it just makes me think both these people can't be right, but both of them could be wrong. 

On 5/7/2018 at 7:57 AM, Botinok said:

Good day,

Dears, can you please help me with my army building.

I'm planning to buy the next kits.

Lotann Warden of Soul Ledgers -1 kit

Etheric Vortex: Gloomtide Shipwreck -1 kit

Idoneth Deepkin: Eidolon Mathlann -2 kits

Idoneth Deepkin : Namarti Thalls -3 kits

Idoneth Deepkin: Namarti Reavers -3 kits

Volturnos High King Of The Deep -2 kits

Idoneth Deepkin: Isharann Tidecaster- 2 kits

Idoneth Deepkin: Isharann Soulscryer -2 kits

Idoneth Deepkin: Isharann Soulrender -2 kits

Akhelian Leviadon -2 kits

Allopex - 4 kits

Akhelian Guard - 4 kits

Any thoughts on this list and is it good for the whole army or it needs some rework?

Thank you

That's a pretty big start that should be a really flexible collection! People seem to be underwhelmed with the sharks, and the eels seem pretty solid. I could see dropping down to 2 sharks to add in 2 more boxes of eels. Then you could do 9 of each, or 6 spear and 12 shield eels, both of which I think you'd be more likely to use than a 3rd or 4th shark. 

3 hours ago, Namiriel said:

I completely agree, but also this is the army that's getting me to switch from being a 40k player who played Elves like 10 years ago. I don't care about top table national events but I also don't want to automatically lose all my games with friends or locals either. 

But the "X is best, Y is worst" circular argument doesn't help me take a decent list either, it just makes me think both these people can't be right, but both of them could be wrong. 

I think both lists will be viable to play at least semi competively. Both have their hard counters though, so that argument will continue for a long time. Overal it seems difficult to fully balance ID lists, so just go with what you like best I'd say.  Overal only the 400+ point miniatures seem to be overcosted for what they do.

3 hours ago, Namiriel said:

If you don't care too much about super competive. Really as long as you have a decent number of Namarti with soul renders or Morrsarr. You'll have a pretty good day. 

As i and i think even @DantePQ has said both units have thier match up that they don't do so very well in.

16 minutes ago, Kugane said:

I think both lists will be viable to play at least semi competively. Both have their hard counters though, so that argument will continue for a long time. Overal it seems difficult to fully balance ID lists, so just go with what you like best I'd say.  Overal only the 400+ point miniatures seem to be overcosted for what they do.

Basicly this right??? For instance i don't really see thralls doing super well against list that hit super hard, and the thralls i don't think do anything against a star drake or win button frost pheonix list. Mainly because the thralls struggle to get enough damage in in one shot to take out the big things, and repeated high battleshock test can find you in a bad spot. 

Not to mention we need more time playing it AoS games can take 3+ hrs at 2k pts depending on how slow both sides are or how resilent different list are.  So to get the most out of it instead of us just grinding out games on our own. We come together and share our opinions looking at the strengths and weaknesses we see in our list and what units shine. 

One main thing that is abit of a blight on AoS or could also be considered a boon depending on your prospective of the game. Most competive armies do like one or 2 things and all the other units are all about either also doing that one things or support the units that are doing said one thing. Like stardrake or pheonix list. Even the clown car is just one big thing.  Change host is basicly horror spam right?? It's just the way the game works really.  Diversity out side of the one idea of your list often gets kind of bad very quickly. 

2 minutes ago, mmimzie said:

If you don't care too much about super competive. Really as long as you have a decent number of Namarti with soul renders or Morrsarr. You'll have a pretty good day. 

As i and i think even @DantePQ has said both units have thier match up that they don't do so very well in.

Basicly this right??? For instance i don't really see thralls doing super well against list that hit super hard, and the thralls i don't think do anything against a star drake or win button frost pheonix list. Mainly because the thralls struggle to get enough damage in in one shot to take out the big things, and repeated high battleshock test can find you in a bad spot. 

Not to mention we need more time playing it AoS games can take 3+ hrs at 2k pts depending on how slow both sides are or how resilent different list are.  So to get the most out of it instead of us just grinding out games on our own. We come together and share our opinions looking at the strengths and weaknesses we see in our list and what units shine. 

One main thing that is abit of a blight on AoS or could also be considered a boon depending on your prospective of the game. Most competive armies do like one or 2 things and all the other units are all about either also doing that one things or support the units that are doing said one thing. Like stardrake or pheonix list. Even the clown car is just one big thing.  Change host is basicly horror spam right?? It's just the way the game works really.  Diversity out side of the one idea of your list often gets kind of bad very quickly. 

At 2k points your best bet kind of is to go with one of those 1-trick-pony kind of lists though. You either commit to performing 1 strategy well, then X ammounts of sub strategies poorly. Even though in the past we did see some random mixed order lists do quite well in the tournament scene, so its not impossible to create something absolutely random and still perform well (dice rolls and all).

Overal ID seems like a fun army regardless.

7 hours ago, mmimzie said:

This is how it works when math comes into competitive - unit Y has better stats per its points than X and Y also performs well in many roles, so it's spammed. It's even more visible in 40k, when units like Flyrants and Custodes bikes are S-tier in all the roles, maybe except bodies count. Lets look at the Vertus Praetors as an perfect example - 4 wounds each, save 2+, invulnerable save 4++ (character can get 3++), 4 attacks each, hits on 2, rerolling 1s from captain, wounding basicly on 3 only vehicles and monster on 5 but they reroll all wound rolls on charge, -2 rend, d3 dmg, too high bravery to even consider running, 12 shoots wounding infantry on 3 or 4 on 12" (6 on 24"), 14" move, 60 points for a model. They just do everything, even anti tank with rerolling wound rolls and decent rending. So... why not spam, when a single unit can do everything on the battlefield and, in addition, they are such monsters combat-wise?

In Age of Sigmar this is less prevalent, fortunately, as it's boring. Especially the Idoneth are more role-specific and the lists will be more diverse and time will tell if the Thrall or the Morrsarr lists will be better overall, because both have their strengths and weaknesses and are matchup dependant. While Thralls will definitely have better time against Kroaknado as the spells won't affect them as much, Morrsarr can take down a unit of Kurnoths, Treelord, Stardrake even with a little help on the charge for example - something that Thralls will never do, considering Kurnoths stand in the woods and the footstep. 

1 hour ago, Cookiez said:

In Age of Sigmar this is less prevalent, fortunately, as it's boring. Especially ......

El oh el. You see it like that? That's hilarious. 

Keep telling it to yourself. :D

Here's are the LVO 2018 top10 lists:

https://aosshorts.com/las-vegas-open-top-10-age-sigmar-lists/

spam spam spam...brims blues pinks, blobs of cheap bodies, spam liberators and skyfires.

Not one iota better than 40k, not a slight single iota....

Well, it's clear that your understanding of the game is, to put it mildly, lacking. If you think lists consisting of 5 Daemon Princes and 300 brimstones, 7 Flyrants with chaff or 15 or more Vertus Praetors with 30 Guardmans are the same as Changehost, especially with the third drop, we have to nothing to discuss.

2 hours ago, Cookiez said:

Well, it's clear that your understanding of the game is, to put it mildly, lacking. If you think lists consisting of 5 Daemon Princes and 300 brimstones, 7 Flyrants with chaff or 15 or more Vertus Praetors with 30 Guardmans are the same as Changehost, especially with the third drop, we have to nothing to discuss.

6 minutes ago, Spiny Norman said:

I like your obtuse way of seeing things. Must be pleasently simple to be you.

Balewind + chaff must really occupy your intellectual capabilities.

Guys, guys, guys! Can we leave arguments like this to 40k players?  We're better than this!

On 08.05.2018 at 11:18 AM, mmimzie said:

Looks cool. 

Things you'll feel hard pressed to really use are multiple aspects and/or leviadons. So if you haven't already bought on you may want to cut back on those. As each is a force multiplier type of unit.

The allowed is super cool, but on paper we kind of all feel it's abit meh. For casual games 1 or a unit of 4 probably wouldn't be the end of the world. 

For the eels ishlaen work well in any list. 

Then from there you'll want to focus on morrsarr or thralls as those two units work best when massed. Which leaves two different list dynamics with thier own strengths and weaknesses. 

I'd probably drop the turtle and maybe shark. The shark is super cool and won't be the end of the world because its so cheap <. < so a petty spot for rule of cool is more than fair. 

However the turtle is a support unit, but our support units are super expensive. So taking multiply kind of makes thier effects worse as they are supporting less and less the more of them you bring.  I'd stock woth the aspect of the sea. It's a good model and can put out lots of -1 to hit, but not as much in morphann as you can get him in range turn 1. 

I'd take the turtle in morphann personally,  for various reasons. However, you already have the aspect so I just wouldn't want you spending to much extra cash. 

With the spare points more thralls would rock. 

One thing to note with morphann is you are forced to take a spell with your tidecaster. The one you have to pick is freezing mist. It's not bad, but it's also not out of this world amazing. 

Anywho welcome to the ID, both of you. 

18 hours ago, Namiriel said:

That's a pretty big start that should be a really flexible collection! People seem to be underwhelmed with the sharks, and the eels seem pretty solid. I could see dropping down to 2 sharks to add in 2 more boxes of eels. Then you could do 9 of each, or 6 spear and 12 shield eels, both of which I think you'd be more likely to use than a 3rd or 4th shark. 

Thank you guys, this seems really helplful for me

Idk the combo involving the Akhelian Guard look really powerful to me:

https://www.warhammer-community.com/2018/04/22/idoneth-deepkin-top-6-combos-apr-22gw-homepage-post-1/

I feel going the aggressive route with the eels can be pretty competitive. 

I'm not sure how my wanderers army are going to deal with a list with the defensive eels.  All of those glade guard's bodkins are useless and the wildwood rangers are just more expensive version of thralls :/

Ok I thought of something different while keeping what I already bought. It might not be efficient but looks like it could be fun and hopefully isn't an auto lose list:

Voltrunos (General)

Aspect of the Sea (Cloud of Midnight or Sands of Infinity)

Tidecaster

Battleline:

Thralls x30

Shield Eels x6

Spear Eels x3

Other:

Leviadon x1

I'm hoping that the blob of 30 Thralls can hold the line and do a bit of damage just long enough for everything else to get into position for a big round 3 while the Tidecaster and Aspect of the Sea cast mortal wound spells or hand out -1 to hits as needed. Not sure on the Enclave yet. Maybe either Ionrach for the +1 to cast spells or  Nautilar for that bonus when being charged.

Archived