Lets Chat: Legions of Nagash

S133arcanite

• Replies 1.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
5 hours ago, RaritanAnon said:

Thanks! I like how there's more to Blood than 'lol vampires'. I do want to kitbash some blood knights that look suitable for my theme. Dunno what to use yet. I don't like the dragon blade idea much. Chaos knights maybe? Anyway here is list 2, with more bodies and a coven throne instead of Banshee/lord. 

Their command ability is really nice. Reroll all rolls of 1 for a unit. Much better than one attack. Plus it still has the screaming thing from the Banshee. I can add more of that nonsense whenever I get more stuff. How's this look? Kept the Hexwraiths because ghosts. They're also hard hitting as hell. Use my spirit hosts and Hexwraiths to tie up anything hard hitting, have the support the skeletons and doggos with the necromancer, slap the coven throne somewhere in the middle. 

Allegiance: Legion of Blood
Necromancer (110)
- Lore of the Deathmages: Overwhelming Dread
Coven Throne (260)
- General
- Trait: Aura of Dark Majesty 
- Artefact: Soulbound Garments 
- Lore of the Vampires: Amaranthine Orb
6 x Spirit Hosts (240)
30 x Skeleton Warriors (240)
- Ancient Spears
10 x Dire Wolves (120)

Total: 970 / 1000
Allies: 0 / 200
Wounds: 85

Actually the Coven Throne does not have the banshee scream. The other two variants do (Mortis Engine, and Blood Palanquin), but it misses out.

Alright, after making some purchases and doing up a lot of converting from some Dark/High Elf/Skaven/Mantic models, and making some purchases, here is my proto-army list that I want to take to a Tournament. Any suggestions? I am not entirely sold on the Grave Guard and Coven throne, but I feel like GG will make excellent Anvils when placed between some Skeletons and on some Gravesites. The Dire Wolves are for flanking and tarpitting, while the main Damage output comes from Arkhan and the Coven throne. The Grave Guard will act in support of the two when needed, using grave sites to get around, while Skeletons grind down other units. I still feel a little reluctant to include Arkhan's Magic show in my list, since I feel like it eats up a lot of points while perhaps not doing enough damage. The Coven Throne, in my eyes, is a superior upgrade to a vampire lord, giving it double the wounds and attacks,  and making it a much better platform for the Shroud. 

Allegiance: Legion of Sacrament
Arkhan The Black Mortarch of Sacrament (320)
- General
- Lore of the Dead: Soul Harvest (Deathmages)
Necromancer (110)
- Artefact: Wristbands of Black Gold
- Lore of the Deathmages: Overwhelming Dread
Necromancer (110)
- Lore of the Deathmages: Fading Vigour
Coven Throne (260)
- Artefact: Shroud of Darkness
- Lore of the Vampires: Amaranthine Orb
10 x Dire Wolves (120)
10 x Dire Wolves (120)
40 x Skeleton Warriors (280)
- Ancient Spears
20 x Grave Guard (320)
- Wight Blades & Crypt Shields
1 x Corpse Cart (80)
Mortis Engine (180)
Lords of Sacrament (70)

Total: 1970 / 2000
Allies: 0 / 400
Wounds: 151

I think you already have more than enough Anvils in the list between the 40x skeletons and 20x dire wolves. What you need imo is something punchy, because I am not seeing a reliable damage dealer in the list. I would honestly consider dropping the Grave Guard for a Terrorgheist or Morghast Harbingers.

Coven Throne might be tougher than a Vampire Lord, but it is also MUCH larger. It is going to take far more ranged fire, and melee attacks and be far harder to hide when needed. It also can't benefit from cover.

I really feel a Sacrament list wants a Balewind. 42" Overwhelming Dread + Vanhel's, both at +3 to cast, is pretty solid. 30" Orb at +2 is also and option for a Vampire Lord.

1 hour ago, AverageBoss said:

Well, its the only version that does not have the banshee tower. Instead it has the drapes and weird skeleton thing hanging over the riders.

Terrorgheist is VERY solid though.

Okedoke, I think I've got together a really competitive list, but I'm sad it's not quite the 'theme' that I want to go with. You know, spooks and ghosts and whatnot. Still cool, though, because I wanna run Morghast and a Terrorgheist at some point anyway.

Allegiance: Death
Vampire Lord (140)
- General
- Mount: Flying Horror
- Trait: Aura of Dark Majesty 
- Artefact: Soulbound Garments 
- Lore of the Vampires: Vile Transference
Necromancer (110)
- Lore of the Deathmages: Overwhelming Dread
Tomb Banshee (80)
5 x Dire Wolves (60)
5 x Dire Wolves (60)
2 x Morghast Harbingers (220)
- Spirit Halberds
Terrorgheist (300)

Total: 970 / 1000
Allies: 0 / 200
Wounds: 60

I mean, it's 1000pts so its still half a list. I dunno

1 hour ago, AverageBoss said:

It also can't benefit from cover.

actually, coven throne, mortis engine and the new palanquin don't have the MONSTER keyword, therefore they do get the cover save. they get behemoth from gh, but cover save is from monster keyword iirc. however, you still need a scenery large enough (woods are great, but it can fly and land on top of buildings too). for example, a mortis engine from Lord of sacrament with battalion in a wood can get up to a 2+ save

1 minute ago, tea_wild_owl said:

actually, coven throne, mortis engine and the new palanquin don't have the MONSTER keyword, therefore they do get the cover save. they get behemoth from gh, but cover save is from monster keyword iirc. however, you still need a scenery large enough (woods are great, but it can fly and land on top of buildings too). for example, a mortis engine from Lord of sacrament with battalion in a wood can get up to a 2+ save

Interesting. I could have sworn they had the MONSTER keyword, but you are right. Also means the Palanquin and Throne can hilariously be mounted on a Balewind Vortex.

54 minutes ago, CDM said:

Can anyone point me out the direction of a good synopsis or overveiw of the fluff in this battletome? 

I'm really interested  to see if they are hinting at any new factions for the future

Mengel Miniatures did a good review of the Battletome.  From my initial read I'd say there isn't really much in the way of hints for new factions.  Strewn throughout other stories (including the MP stories) you do have mention of things like Bone Giants, giant undead snakes and human worshippers.  One of the MP stories even mentions human archers working alongside skeletons.

39 minutes ago, shadowseercB said:

It looks as though Zombies are not worth taking ever when compared to skeletons and Dire Wolves.  Am I missing something?

I'd say it's a massive tarpit unit, 320 points for 60 hitting and wounding on 3's and able to hold up almost anything due to sheer weight of numbers.  Either that or cheap objective holders.

Rob Symes, formerly of warhammer tv gave a ‘tip’ on his podcast for people that were looking to future releases to start painting up wraiths. Given he has insider knowledge from his time there I would guess there is something coming. There’s even a picture of the knight of shrouds with a bunch of different looking wraiths to the characters we have now so I would probably put good money on another wraith unit coming. Also given the glub glub video maybe it ties in ala wraith fleet army of some sort.

4 hours ago, CDM said:

Can anyone point me out the direction of a good synopsis or overveiw of the fluff in this battletome? 

I'm really interested  to see if they are hinting at any new factions for the future

The same rumors that correctly predicted daughters of khaine well before their release kind of point to the boat being linked to sea elves rather than anything undead related.  That said, the boat itself has a distinctly sigmarite feel, which doesn't really fit with elves or undead, so... *shrug*.

I personally still expect a nighthaunt battletome this year, though I'm not sure I expect any new models with it.  We'll see.

Might all be linked as part of the campaign/ narrative. I don’t have the artwork to hand but the knight of shrouds is surrounded by wraiths with similar ‘human’ hands to him carrying daggers. It’s not a unit we currently have and gw art rarely depicts things with such prominence without models. 

31 minutes ago, LLV said:

Might all be linked as part of the campaign/ narrative. I don’t have the artwork to hand but the knight of shrouds is surrounded by wraiths with similar ‘human’ hands to him carrying daggers. It’s not a unit we currently have and gw art rarely depicts things with such prominence without models. 

Still reckon the hand holding the scroll was very similar to the Knight of Shrouds model

Can somebody who is pretty actively playing right now start a "Tier List of LoN Units" thread or something similar.

Obviously synergies and combos can re-work that list, but it might be nice to be able to look at a list of what units are generally the best.

Here's an example: Legions of Nagash Unit Tier List

Hammer

T1. 40 Skeletons, VLoZD, Nagash, Blood Knights, Prince Vhordrai 

T2. Morghast Harbinger with the halberd. Mortarchs - Neferata, Mannfred, Arkhan.  Morghasts Archai. Terrorgheist / Zombie Dragon

T3. Grave Guard, Bloodseeker Palanquin, Vargheists, Spirit Hosts,

(If Mourngul becomes legal again, probably T1 or T2)

Anvil

T1. 40 Skeletons, X Dire Wolves, 30+ Zombies

T2. Spirit Hosts, Hexwraiths, Black Knights

T3. Bat Swarms, Grave Guard

Support

T1. Necromancer, (Lords of Sacrament Battalion) & (Balewind Vortex if using LoS battalaion)

T2. Mortis Engine, Vampire Lord, Coven Throne, Corpse Cart, (The First Cohort Battalion)

T3. Wight King, Tomb Banshee, Cairn Wraith

I really don't play that much now, so I would prefer somebody really active to update the thread so its an accurate and useful resource.

But this might provide a decent start to looking at the most competitive and efficient units per job task.

Might find it relevant to have a section for "objective grabbers."

Obviously this is matchup and game type dependent, but it's a start.

Haha, i came here to another list examination. Let's give them some work ! 

Allegiance: Grand Host of Nagash

Leaders
Nagash Supreme Lord Of The Undead (800) - General - Lores of the Dead Spell 1 : Vile Transference (Vampires) - Lores of the Dead Spell 2 : Fading Vigour (Deathmages) - Lores of the Dead Spell 3 : Amaranthine Orb (Vampires)
Necromancer (110) - Artefact :  Ossific Diadem  - Lore of the Deathmages : Overwhelming Dread
Units
2 x Morghast Archai (220) -Spirit Halberds
40 x Skeleton Warriors (280) -Ancient Spears
40 x Skeleton Warriors (280) -Ancient Spears
5 x Black Knights (120)

Battalions
The First Cohort (160)
Total: 1970 / 2000 
Leaders: 2/6    Battlelines: 3 (3+)    Behemoths: 1/4    Artillery: 0/4
Wounds: 123

A simple list, really. Two units of 40 skeletons, backed by Nagash and a Necromancer as well as the gravesite + immunity to battleshock will be hard to remove for everyone and give a good board presence. The necromancer is here to taking the ossific diadem, giving another invulnerable save to the skellies, as well as giving two spells to nagash, the van hell dance making the skellies able to do a good chunk of damage in melee.

The real "hammer" here is, of course, Nagash and his morghast, who hit hard enough to kill everything that the skellies can't. The amaranthine Orb give me a offensive spell (sometime, you just need mortal wound), and the fading vigour as well as the overwhelming dread are nasty debuff. The vile transference can be used to heal nagash or the Morghast, so they should be safe enough, except heavy focused fire.

The black knight are here because i needed a third unit in the first cohort.

What do you think of this list ?

Decided to try my hand at creating both a Bravery Manipulation/ "Shooty" list for Legion of Nagash. The main tactic is to get your fast moving units up close and into combat with the enemy, with the Direhounds to hit chaff and Black Knights to help put further penalties on the enemy thanks to their banner. Both units are picked due to their durability and ability to be resurrected.  Legion of Blood was selected to help support the Vampire Lord, and to give all of our units the -1 to bravery.  The Mortis Engine battery is a sort of "Artillery", but far more mobile. While it might only do d3 MW per bravery check failed, they can hit a far wider amount of enemy units, thanks to their range. They can also practically heal themselves back to full health if allowed to, thanks to their Reliquary ability, with the bonus of also hitting the enemy. The Necromancer has over-whelming dread for obvious reasons, as is Contempt for the Vampire lord. If properly used and set up, 1 specific unit of your choice can suffer at -4 Bravery. (-2 from Banner/Immortal majesty on from Black Knights, -1 from Overwhelming Dread, -1 from Contempt). Back this up with the 3 Mortis Engines, and you can inflict a absolutely silly amount of silly amounts of fire power upon the enemy, with a maximum of 6d3 MW wounds on enemy's near the Mortis Engine's. 

You could swap out the VLoZD for a Bloodseeker Palanquin or Coven Throne; With the Bloodseeker, I feel like it becomes much more prudent to use a Unit of Blood Knights, so in that case, I would drop out some Blood Knights or Banshees to make room. The Palanquin also helps add in some MW, so that decision boils down to if you want to use Blood Knights, or want a superior Command trait/melee profile for a cheaper price. There's also the fourth, wild card option where you don't use any hero Behemoths at all, and instead focus on using 4 Mortis Engines to help blast away your foe. That one is incredibly scary, since it makes it VERY hard to kill all four Mortis Engines in the Shooting phase, as they WILL heal with their reliquary's are allowed to pop off. 

Vampire Lord On Zombie Dragon (440)
- General
- Deathlance
- Trait: Soul-Crushing Contempt
- Artefact: Soulbound Garments
- Lore of the Vampires: Vile Transference
Necromancer (110)
Tomb Banshee (80)
Tomb Banshee (80)
Tomb Banshee (80)
5 x Dire Wolves (60)
5 x Dire Wolves (60)
5 x Dire Wolves (60)
5 x Black Knights (120)
5 x Black Knights (120)
5 x Black Knights (120)
5 x Black Knights (120)
Mortis Engine (180)
Mortis Engine (180)
Mortis Engine (180)

Total: 1990 / 2000
Wounds: 137

I love the idea of a bravery bomb list but I cannot see it doing to much in the long run.   Biggest weakness that style of list will be is facing off against another death player.  The mortis engines turn from amazing to a complete hinderance.   The spell modifier works purely on grand alliance keyword so any death characters friend or foe will get the buff. Same as the boom ability will only heal the enemy army the same as yours.    If your planning a possible tournament with such a list then be very wary of those limitations.  

3 hours ago, Undeadly said:

Decided to try my hand at creating both a Bravery Manipulation/ "Shooty" list for Legion of Nagash. The main tactic is to get your fast moving units up close and into combat with the enemy, with the Direhounds to hit chaff and Black Knights to help put further penalties on the enemy thanks to their banner. Both units are picked due to their durability and ability to be resurrected.  Legion of Blood was selected to help support the Vampire Lord, and to give all of our units the -1 to bravery.  The Mortis Engine battery is a sort of "Artillery", but far more mobile. While it might only do d3 MW per bravery check failed, they can hit a far wider amount of enemy units, thanks to their range. They can also practically heal themselves back to full health if allowed to, thanks to their Reliquary ability, with the bonus of also hitting the enemy. The Necromancer has over-whelming dread for obvious reasons, as is Contempt for the Vampire lord. If properly used and set up, 1 specific unit of your choice can suffer at -4 Bravery. (-2 from Banner/Immortal majesty on from Black Knights, -1 from Overwhelming Dread, -1 from Contempt). Back this up with the 3 Mortis Engines, and you can inflict a absolutely silly amount of silly amounts of fire power upon the enemy, with a maximum of 6d3 MW wounds on enemy's near the Mortis Engine's. 

You could swap out the VLoZD for a Bloodseeker Palanquin or Coven Throne; With the Bloodseeker, I feel like it becomes much more prudent to use a Unit of Blood Knights, so in that case, I would drop out some Blood Knights or Banshees to make room. The Palanquin also helps add in some MW, so that decision boils down to if you want to use Blood Knights, or want a superior Command trait/melee profile for a cheaper price. There's also the fourth, wild card option where you don't use any hero Behemoths at all, and instead focus on using 4 Mortis Engines to help blast away your foe. That one is incredibly scary, since it makes it VERY hard to kill all four Mortis Engines in the Shooting phase, as they WILL heal with their reliquary's are allowed to pop off. 

- General
- Deathlance
Necromancer (110)
Tomb Banshee (80)
Tomb Banshee (80)
Tomb Banshee (80)
5 x Dire Wolves (60)
5 x Dire Wolves (60)
5 x Dire Wolves (60)
5 x Black Knights (120)
5 x Black Knights (120)
5 x Black Knights (120)
5 x Black Knights (120)
Mortis Engine (180)
Mortis Engine (180)
Mortis Engine (180)

I like it but you're forgetting the Terrorgheist. He has the strongest bravery based attack in the game. It may also behoove you to invest in some chunkier battleline like 40 skellies, and take less banshees, maybe. They have the scream, but theyre kinda ****** in combat with only one attack. I like mortis engines, but I don't think they're a thing that works well being spammed.

6 hours ago, Undeadly said:

- General
- Deathlance
Necromancer (110)
Tomb Banshee (80)
Tomb Banshee (80)
Tomb Banshee (80)
5 x Dire Wolves (60)
5 x Dire Wolves (60)
5 x Dire Wolves (60)
5 x Black Knights (120)
5 x Black Knights (120)
5 x Black Knights (120)
5 x Black Knights (120)
Mortis Engine (180)
Mortis Engine (180)
Mortis Engine (180)

Ive been toying with a similar concept. Im trying to imagine the tactics here.

I feel like the banshees and necro will be left behind while the wolves, knights, and engines advance.

The Dread spell will be key here but I hate that the only casters that can take it are flimsy necros ans Mortarchs.

I think you could fit in a TGheist. Aside from the best bravery attack hes no pushover in combat either

Archived