Let's Create: Start Collecting Boxes

hellalugosi

Hey guys, i thought with the new announcement of the painting competition for Malign Portents, I wanted to have some fun brainstorming what you guys think would be cool start collecting boxes! I hopped onto photoshop and i think my box here is fairly in line with what kind of boxes they want to push out. Although i think every start collecting is at least 3 units?

Either way post your ideas, hoping to hear creative things, and for hard mode: Only plastic kits! 

rotbringers.jpg.07e8fdac4348a8aabb51b65e94260a15.jpg

I can't photoshop, but how about:

Seraphon

- 1 x Skink Starseer

- 24 x Skinks

- 3 x Ripperdactyls

Distinctive enough from the current set.

Or (without finecast)

- 1 x Skink Starpriest

- 24 x Skinks

- 1 x Stegadon

1 hour ago, hellalugosi said:

Hey guys, i thought with the new announcement of the painting competition for Malign Portents, I wanted to have some fun brainstorming what you guys think would be cool start collecting boxes! I hopped onto photoshop and i think my box here is fairly in line with what kind of boxes they want to push out. Although i think every start collecting is at least 3 units?

Either way post your ideas, hoping to hear creative things, and for hard mode: Only plastic kits! 

rotbringers.jpg.07e8fdac4348a8aabb51b65e94260a15.jpg

What about blight kings, pusgoyle blightlords, and the Lord of blights?

I've actually put a fair amount of thought into this, here are some of the ones I like the look of:

Dispossessed Warden King, 16x Warriors, 16x Thunderers, 10x Irondrakes

Free Peoples Freeguild General on Foot (The guy with the Greatsword), 10x Freeguild Guard, 10x Freeguild Handgunner, 3x Demigryph Knights

Free Peoples ALT Freeguild General on Griffon, 10x Freeguild Guard, 10x Freeguild Handgunner, 5x Outriders

Darkling Covens Sorceress on Black Dragon, 10x Bleakswords, 10x Executioners

Bonesplitterz Savage Big Boss, 20x Savage Orruks, 10x Savage Orruk Boar Boyz

Deadwalker Horde Necromancer, 40x Zombies, 10x Dire Wolves, Corpse Cart

Well, I'd certainly like something like that (and I can't photoshop either :D ):

Scourge Privateers: 1 fleet master, 2x10 corsairs, 1 chariot

Disciples of Tzeentch: 1x20 acolytes, 10 Tzaangors, 1 Lord of Change

Spiderfang grots:  1 arachnarok, 2x10 spider riders

Deathrattlers: 1 wight king, 20 skeletons, 5 black knights, 10 grave guard

Wanderers:  1 nomad prince, 5 wild riders, 10 eternal guard, 10 sisters of the watch

Kharadron Overlords:

Admiral

10x Arkonauts 

5x Skyriggers or Thunderers (feels like there should be at least one flyer in there) 

I feel like KO need this quite badly since the lack of start collecting box and pricy infantry makes them quite an investment to get started with.

Gutbusters

Tyrant

6x ogres

3x leadbelchers

Alt beastclaws

Hunter

8x kitties

3x yhetees 

A more cunningly brutal beastclaw box would definitely be appreciated

Edit: No access to photoshop atm but I'll give it a go tomorrow if I get the chance 

10 hours ago, Ar-Pharazôn said:

What about blight kings, pusgoyle blightlords, and the Lord of blights?

i feel like because those are brand new units they wouldnt be considered for a start collecting soon. to me the maggot lord was an easy choice since its kinda like the nurgle version of the mortarch kit, and people would appreciate the deal.

11 hours ago, Menkeroth said:

Disciples of Tzeentch: 1x20 acolytes, 10 Tzaangors, 1 Lord of Change

Man, that'd be an incredible deal - essentially a £5 discount on Tzaangor and Acolytes with a free £70 Lord of Change bundled in. I reckon a more likely DoT box would be something like:

10 Tzaangor

3 Enlightened/Skyfire

Tzaangor Shaman

(That's more or less equivalent to the Bloodbound SC! box.)

2 hours ago, CJPT said:

Man, that'd be an incredible deal - essentially a £5 discount on Tzaangor and Acolytes with a free £70 Lord of Change bundled in. I reckon a more likely DoT box would be something like:

I guess so. But after the Skeleton Horde box where all the three mortarchs and they cost 65 euro alone, and so you get the skellies and knights for free, because the whole box is 65... I would not be that surprised :D

Darkling Covens one mentioned above would be really great. I think it'd be awesome if they released Start Collecting addons; like the second half of an army, a natural progression that would mean you could field 1,000pts by buying the two boxes together. GW are guaranteed £100 + paints.

For example:

Slaves to Darkness Addon:

Chaos Lord on Manticore

10 Marauder Horsemen

18 Chaos Warriors (to add on to the 12 in the initial box)

Ironjawz Addon:

Megaboss on Foot

5 Brutes

15 Ardboyz

Definitely want to see more start collecting boxes for all factions, trying to keep my hopes as realistic as possible my guesses would be.

Free Guild: Free Guild General (the 2 pack with one mounted and one on foot), 10x Freeguild handgunners/crossbowmen,  3x Demigryph knights.

Bray Herds: Beastlord, 10xUngors, 10xGors, 1xTuskgor Chariot.

Duardin Holds: Warden king, 16x Dispossesed warriors, 10x ironbreakers/irondrakes, 1 organ Gun/cannon.

7 hours ago, Karchev23 said:

I can imagine the KO being

Khemist

Company

Gunhauler ( cause they need to sell them.. like seriously that model is useless )

Gunhauler? What is that? 

- a kharadron player 

That unit need a change, I don't know what, but seriously, I never seen one in any list.

I'd love to see this done up, it's only three kits and would be a great start to an army. It clocks in at 490 points, containing a battleline, behemoth, and two heroes (one of which comes in the War Altar kit already. Oh, and it's all good good plastics.

1x War Altar of Sigmar

1x Warrior Priest

1x Excelsior Warpriest & Gryph Hound

10x Flagellants.

490 Points Total. Grab 2 and you've got a 1k List. Sign me up. :P

DevotedStartCollecting.png

Okay, this is a tad fun from a product perspective, one more: Tzeentch Arcanites. There's a lack of a 'big thing' isn't there? Sort of. 

Mutalith Vortex Beasts have been introduced to the codex, and don't yet have any prescence in the store despite being a fantastic plastic kit. I actually suspect they will either be in the Arcanites Box OR the Thousand Sons box since they play in both.

1x Mutalith Vortex Beast

1x Magister

10xTzaangors

Price in CAD: $100 (Combo from 100+18+60)

Total Points - 500

DevotedStartCollecting.png

Okay, I said last one, but this is my magnum opus.

Skryre is expensive, difficult to create list. But no more! This box pulls in the plastics from the Spire of Dawn box. Great sculpts but no longer available.

1x Warlock Engineer

1x Warpfire Thrower Weapon Team

1x Poison Wind Mortar Weapon Team

3x Storm Fiends

530 Pts.

Skryre.png

24 minutes ago, Barbossal said:

Okay, I said last one, but this is my magnum opus.

Skryre is expensive, difficult to create list. But no more! This box pulls in the plastics from the Spire of Dawn box. Great sculpts but no longer available.

1x Warlock Engineer

1x Warpfire Thrower Weapon Team

1x Poison Wind Mortar Weapon Team

3x Storm Fiends

530 Pts.

Skryre.png

God I want this and the Devoted of Sigmar one.

I imagined a Skaven Skryre SC box for the Malign Portents thing. It's tough, as they have no plastic Acolytes, so I just made the best of the plastic kits available and tried to bring it to the same sort of value as the other SC boxes.

- Stormfiends

- Doomwheel

- Clanrats

I know the Clanrats aren't Skryre but there's no other plastic box that gives you a horde of rats, which frankly any good Skaven army requires. They can function as allies, or maybe the rules could be rewritten to be a sane reflection of the kits available... The whole thing comes to about... I forget, between seventy and eighty GBP, which is roughly the range of some of the existing boxes.

Archived